Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Ninjitus would be great if they would just admit that they do it because its fun to dress in costumes, flip around and pretend to assassinate each other.

It's pretty cool for kids given the outfits and the general idea of it but to practice it unironically is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

It's pretty cool for kids given the outfits and the general idea of it but to practice it unironically is pretty funny.

It's basically an early military martial art (perhaps comparable to something like CQC or Krav Maga) that ended up associated with a bit of mysticism. People latched on to that mysticism and started taking it really seriously.
I read Hatsumi's book years ago (I've probably still got it somewhere) and they throw side kicks knee up.
Your hip totally isn't supposed to go that way.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's one courtesy of Matt Roth at Bloody Elbow:

quote:

The fight this weekend will be the most important of Barry's career. He faces a fighter in a similar situation with the UFC. Stefan Struve's career can be best described as "one step forward, one step back". The height difference is almost comical and Struve will be the fighter with the reach advantage. Barry is fortunate that Struve doesn't really manage the distance too well. The fight will really come down to Barry's ability to work inside and chopping down Struve with leg kicks. However, it really will be decided by Pat Barry's "K-1 Level" striking and killer instinct.
In addition to the whole thing reading like something written by a 12-year-old, I can't for the life of me figure out what he's even trying to say in the last two sentences.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Here's one courtesy of Matt Roth at Bloody Elbow:

In addition to the whole thing reading like something written by a 12-year-old, I can't for the life of me figure out what he's even trying to say in the last two sentences.

The fight will be decided by Pat Barry's kick boxing, however it will be decided by his kick boxing!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's basically an early military martial art (perhaps comparable to something like CQC or Krav Maga) that ended up associated with a bit of mysticism. People latched on to that mysticism and started taking it really seriously.
I read Hatsumi's book years ago (I've probably still got it somewhere) and they throw side kicks knee up.
Your hip totally isn't supposed to go that way.

Yeah I understand where it came from and why it's so popular but at the end of the day you've got dudes dressed in black ninja suits, that real assassins wouldn't have worn anyway, learning techniques that would get you killed by someone looking to gently caress your poo poo up anyway. To me that's as good as it gets for loling at a martial art.

It's up there with six month TKD black belts and some jube who came up with his own system after a couple of months of kung fu and gogu-ryu karate.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 30, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I understand where it came from and why it's so popular but at the end of the day you've got dudes dressed in black ninja suits, that real assassins wouldn't have worn anyway, learning techniques that would get you killed by someone looking to gently caress your poo poo up anyway. To me that's as good as it gets for loling at a martial art.

It's up there with six month TKD black belts and some jube who came up with his own system after a couple of months of kung fu and gogu-ryu karate.

Oh, don't get me wrong, modern ninjitsu is laughable. I wasn't saying it wasn't. It seems to attract more mouth breathing goony martial arts types than almost any other style.

Oh, and to keep the thread on topic, here's a very :qq: open letter from, again, Paul Magno (who really has an axe to grind)
http://theboxingtribune.com/2010/08/an-open-letter-to-randy-couture/
I wonder if he sent one to Paul Mercer as well?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 30, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I stopped reading when he called boxing a classier sport. Because nothing says class like a headbutt followed by a cheap shot in the biggest boxing card of the year.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
s

Xguard86 posted:

I stopped reading when he called boxing a classier sport. Because nothing says class like a headbutt followed by a cheap shot in the biggest boxing card of the year.

Or fights at press conferences. Or the most famous boxing thing to happen in the 90s being someone getting their ear bitten off.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The most famous thing to happen to MMA in the 90s was Tank Abbot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

The most famous thing to happen to MMA in the 90s was Tank Abbot.

true, but it wasn't the 100 year old classy sport.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

quote:

MMA Journalism: You probably didn't notice this but you should probably be outraged

this lady freaking out about "rock you like a hurricane" being played in new orleans reminds me of the trauma i suffered went i went out to the bars in new orleans and saw many insensitive bastards drinking.... hurricanes :qq:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

this lady freaking out about "rock you like a hurricane" being played in new orleans reminds me of the trauma i suffered went i went out to the bars in new orleans and saw many insensitive bastards drinking.... hurricanes :qq:

People in NY still wear Jets jerseys :qq:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Man, I just took a look at the forums for the Underground site. People just straight up posting white supremacist videos and the like.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Pocket Billiards posted:

Man, I just took a look at the forums for the Underground site. People just straight up posting white supremacist videos and the like.

yeah, there's a reason you should only know that it exists and not frequent it

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Hahaha what the hell? Is he talking about himself when he says greatest American bjj player of all time? What a knob.

fawker fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 3, 2011

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that's really Eddie Bravo, they give colored names to personalities/fighters iirc

apparently it is.

hahahahahah that makes it even better

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 3, 2011

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Save Russian Jews posted:

I don't think that's really Eddie Bravo, they give colored names to personalities/fighters iirc

apparently it is.

hahahahahah that makes it even better

It never ceases to amuse me that a site founded by a South African has a system where posters have different privileges based on the colour of their name.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Pocket Billiards posted:

Yeah. There's a reason Fedor has so many "hardcore" fans. The cool thing is that along with that and about 5 million people repeatedly posting "fail" they have exactly the same delusions of brotherhood and comedic greatness that goons do.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Hahaha what the hell? Is he talking about himself when he says greatest American bjj player of all time?

No.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

No.

Joe Rogan.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thomas Myers, MMAMania posted:

Barry, who is self-admittedly "morbidly obese," is among the division's smallest competitors (5'11"), even though he pushes its 265-pound weight limit.

Barry weighed in at 243 on Friday. I guess Demetrius Johnson pushes the weight limit for lightweight now.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Barry weighed in at 243 on Friday. I guess Demetrius Johnson pushes the weight limit for lightweight now.

Not only that but why would you get a snarky tone about White keeping around guys who are known to put on entertaining fights but still lose? Guys like that will boost ratings because even if they lose the fans still tune in.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"He did do well last night prior to the tapout." but regardless, allow me to explain why dana white is an idiot for not cutting pat barry after a 2 fight losing streak

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Pat Barry is likable, good at his job, and entertaining. Three things MMA journalists can never hope to be.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Xguard86 posted:

good at his job

So he makes those YouTube videos for cash?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

So he makes those YouTube videos for cash?

With the UFC's social media policies, yes, probably.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

fatherdog posted:

With the UFC's social media policies, yes, probably.

More importantly, will probably keep him in the UFC longer than other fighters who have his ground game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Barry's lack of leg kick damage output is the one thing that's causing the hype to die out.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Pat Barry is not a good fighter but he is an amusing entertainer and that is what is important.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

origami posted:

Pat Barry is not a good fighter but he is an amusing entertainer and that is what is important.

this is what I was driving at

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, it's not like he's taking up room that could be given to skilful, relevant heavyweights. Heavyweight needs fun fighters or it ceases to have any reason to exist.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, it's not like he's taking up room that could be given to skilful, relevant heavyweights. Heavyweight needs fun fighters or it ceases to have any reason to exist.

yeah i'm down with this. sports are meant to be entertaining so you should be rooting for the most entertaining outcome possible. this is likelier when pat barry fights.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

See Also: Ko Cro Cop, Mir

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Save Russian Jews posted:

See Also: Ko Cro Cop, Mir

UFC 119's main event would like to have a word with you. Because that was awful. Unless that's what you were saying, in which case sorry.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Pat Berry is actually a really bad fighter, worse than the super fat dudes who swing arm punches at each other and gas out in round one, and he has no place in UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Pat Berry is actually a really bad fighter, worse than the super fat dudes who swing arm punches at each other and gas out in round one, and he has no place in UFC.

Nope.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i think he was kidding but its hard to tell

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

mewse posted:

"serious...joking... im the guy with the bad posts" -ash "keven" williams

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Akileese posted:

Not only that but why would you get a snarky tone about White keeping around guys who are known to put on entertaining fights but still lose? Guys like that will boost ratings because even if they lose the fans still tune in.

What's even stranger is that, in the mind of many of its critics, the UFC is an evil super machine that cuts people after one loss and hates entertaining fighters, and then will hold a grudge and destroy all the other promotions that that fighter tries to fight in. And probably kick their dog or something.
Ignoring the many fighters, even relative no names like Dos Anjos, who were given chances (Dos Anjos lost his first two) because they put on a good fight.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mewse posted:

Every post he has in the MMA threads is a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

TwistedNails posted:

Every post he has in the MMA threads is a troll.

every post in the MMA subforum is a troll.

This is a post modern sport: everything is poo poo. Nothing is true. We are just claws power doubling across the ocean floor

• Locked thread