Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Jonathan Snowden is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

I will continue to post this link until people take notice and lynch Snowden:

UFC 100 - Bad for the Sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

CarlCX posted:

From Maggie Hendricks over at Yahoo's Cagewriter, UFC Allows Questionable Music Choices at UFN 25:

MMA Journalism: You probably didn't notice this but you should probably be outraged

I hate this bitch so much so I will add to this. After Dana White called Loretta Hunt a bitchcunt, she personally felt offended that he was attacking ALL females, or maybe just pretending so she could write an article about how she feels like a victim.

Maggie Hendricks posted:

Since I've started with Cage Writer, I have been worried from time to time that I would not be welcome at fights or in gyms. After all, MMA is definitely a man's world. However, I've never felt unwelcome, never felt like I was given an unfair shake, never felt like I didn't belong. But after seeing the president of the corporation that I spend much of my days writing about call another female member of the MMA media a "dumb b----," I instantly become unwelcome in this world. Funny what a few little words can do.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

willie_dee posted:

He claims Wanderlei was walking with a cane at the time so didn't cause trouble because it was a no win situation.

an excuse only a bitch coward would use

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Winning the title, defending it once and then leaving the organization definitely means you're a "dominant world champion"

"undefeated over 10 years"

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

:laffo: that's pretty amazing.

I don't think it's possible to see anything of Evgeni Kogan without feeling the powerful urge to slap those stupid loving glasses right off his face, I seriously get douche chills every time I see him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZ_lxgJRFA

gotta give him props because he managed to not call Ariel any anti-Semitic names despite wanting to do so very badly

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Josh Gross's priorities have been out of whack for a long time. For example, his hair.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

I think you have your terrible MMA journalists confused. Jordan Breen is the one with the terrible hair. Josh Gross looks like a pedophile, but has otherwise unnoteworthy hair.

You are right that Jordan Breen does have really terrible hair but Josh Gross has been clinging to that thinning patch of hair in the middle of his head for as long as I can remember and refuses to shave it off despite being reminded several times by Brett Rogers on Twitter.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Remember when it was announced that Snowden was no longer with bloodyelbow, and he insisted that he hadn't been fired but was "moving on to bigger and better things"?

http://bleacherreport.com/users/689391-jonathan-snowden

he has 7 bleacher report achievements. show some respect.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

and then admire his threadbare scalp in a mirror covered with photos of Fedor.

It's also kind of ironic that in the background there are ads for bodybuilding and vitamins and poo poo and he looks like some kind of disoriented, decrepit homeless person in a suit.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Socrates posted:

Layzie screwed up, he let his bias cloud his judgment. But he apologized quickly, directly and whole-heartedly when he got the facts straight. He added the context to his apology show that his mistake wasn't made maliciously. Layzie didn't say he wasn't his fault, just explaining things that contributed to his mistake.

I enjoy his videos and commentary, and the Diaz Bros., and MMA, probably gained a lot of fans over the last year through Layzie and MiddleEasy's publicity. I hope he doesn't take this too hard and stays active.

His situation illustrates the risks of being a both a media personality and a friend and de facto publicist for fighters.

I agree, I think Layzie is still a force in mma journalism but he has bad management and could really do well to drop a weightclass in this new age of mma journalism.

e: just wanted to reiterate that it's not Layzie's fault and he is still the best mma journalist ever

e2: There is nothing on record of Layzie doing or saying anything racist. There is a public record of him showing familiarity and ease with other races, and of specifically rebuking racist and nationalist ideologies.

e3: Layzie looked outmatched, but not embarrassed, and I think he added to his legend by taking an epic beating and never quitting. His survival under mount was inspiring. He took a lot of bombs and never stopped defending himself or trying to escape.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 14, 2012

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

can you imagine what Layzie would be like if he got below 7% body fat

can you

:ssj:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Every so often a Real Actual Journalist does an mma story and it makes you realize just how lovely we have it with the current crop of mma reporters.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8766486/reshat-mati-punch-baby

Am I supposed to get this pumped when reading news stories? Is this how journalism works? Either way, I am extremely pumped for the next generation of fighters.

quote:

Now, at 5-foot-2 and 131 pounds, Reshat is a world-champion kickboxer, a national boxing champion, a North American grappling champion, and an all-around jiu-jitsu champion. As he rose through the ranks, winning national championships in all disciplines and at all levels, Reshat even picked up a cool nickname. They call him The Albanian Bear.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Steve Glutenberg posted:

Now that Miro Mijatovic isn't scared of getting kidnapped and shot to death he's saying some interesting things:

http://www.liverkick.com/index.php?...-1&catid=36:k-1
http://www.liverkick.com/index.php?...43%3Ainterviews

I am stunned at this attempt to drag the good name of Yuji Shimada through the mud

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Some serious, serious stuff about PRIDE FC in there..

my world is shattered. which way is up, i dont know. is that you, john wayne? is this me?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

So you want to start an mma blog?

Bloody Elbow guy posted:

Well, originally I had about 6 sock puppet accounts on Bloody Elbow, so whenever I put up a post, I would log in with my sock puppet accounts and comment on them, and I made my wife have a couple of sock puppet accounts, so we would have these little fake conversations between ourselves, trying to create the appearance of a community there. I mean, blogging's really frankly just not that crazy, it's dudes sitting at their computer typing.

One time in the early days, I was traveling and I was in some motel in Mississippi and I couldn't get the Pride PPV, so I had to quote-unquote 'live blog' it based off of Sherdog and MMA Junkie's live blogs. A total fail of journalistic ethics, but there you go!

Whoever the A-Hole is that keeps subscribing me to every newsletter on earth for being banned, is probably my least favorite member. He's got some sort of program that just goes through and signs me up, but thanks to Gmail that pretty much filters itself out, so it's not really the headache he thinks it is.

Michael Fagan was one of the best gambling analysts we've ever had, or anybody's ever had. He stopped doing it for us and he's moved on, and isn't missed in any other regard, but I do miss his gambling posts.

Jonathan Snowden, I think, is one of the most talented writers in the MMA media, definitely the leading historian in the field. I don't miss working with him one bit, but I do miss his content on the site. I think a lot of times he pisses people off, but honestly, I don't think he does it just to troll people or just to bait people. I think he just has a different view of the world than most people.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

brain damage is a terrible thing but the real MMA epidemic is that every single top flight fighter has had 800 major knee surgeries and that's just accepted as part of the game, it's terrifying

That's just kind of how it is with every professional sport though isn't it? I think the brain injuries part is highlighted because it is more exclusive to MMA (and boxing and football) as opposed to like, soccer or baseball or ultimate frisbee or whatever.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I did not watch this fight initially but I wanted to see what you guys are talking about and JT looks pretty good in the third. It is some ugly, heavyweight wall game but he is still throwing a bit.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Zach Arnold wrote a really dumb article

quote:

That is the sound of Zuffa getting castrated in their own backyard. And there were witnesses, all right.

To those sayin you can't compare the WWE digital network to the UFC's: Then why are there UFC employees in attendance for the announcement?

— Luca Fury (@FurysFightPicks) January 9, 2014

If it was so good then why are UFC employees interested in ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL??

quote:

On Tuesday, I did a radio interview for Sirius XM with Ricky Bones, RJ Clifford, and Steve Cofield to talk about UFC Fight Pass and why the service so far has not impressed many fans. You can listen to the interview here. The consensus amongst us as to why UFC rushed Fight Pass out for public consumption was, partially, due in part to the upcoming launch of the WWE Network. In other words, UFC wanted to win the media news cycle by launching Fight Pass first even if it wasn’t a complete product and a product not 100% tested for bugs or failures.

Does anyone actually think this? Did either of these companies really "try to win the media news cycle"? Does the success of one really inhibit the other? The answer to these questions is no.

quote:

UFC may laugh now but if their PPV buy rates keep dropping like WWE’s PPV buy rates have, look out.

Nope

quote:

1. Why did the UFC not launch Fight Pass as a joint venture with Fox Sports?

Fox Sports has all the technology & resources at its fingertips to make UFC Fight Pass a monstrous success for an online media property.

Because obviously Fox Sports has access to app development companies that a small company like Zuffa does not

quote:

4. Is the concept of PPV itself dead?

See above but it's pretty clearly still going okay

quote:

5. How will Viacom (through Bellator) jump into the zero TV fray with the UFC & WWE sharks in the water?
It was suggested, perhaps facetiously, that if there was a Bellator Fight Pass featuring TNA PPVs & GLORY kickboxing events that it would draw better than UFC Fight Pass.
Even if you dismiss that and put that notion to the side, there is some truth to the argument that Bellator (with their Viacom resources) could further fan the flames with Zuffa over digital content presented online.

By combining with two other companies no one really cares about, surely Bellator will topple UFC

quote:

What makes Bellator an MMA company with possibilities is the Viacom ownership and they know media real well. With WWE and UFC now into the zero TV fray for good, it’s time for Viacom to step up to the plate and make a big splash. They very well could do so if motivated. If that happens, it will create a headache for the UFC. Especially if Viacom was able to persuade WWE to move RAW/Smackdown to Spike TV in 2014.

This is it guys. This is the year Bellator becomes motivated and crushes everything because Viacom is going to spend all of their money and resources on promoting a B-league MMA organization.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bean Fried posted:

It was also kind of bullshit. The millions of casual fans from the PRIDE days are all gone, sure, but they still have plenty of hardcore nerds like us who are willing to buy tickets.

I actually think the UFC isn't giving Japan enough love these days and should seriously be going there more than once a year. As far as they've fallen they still have a very strong indy scene and are still producing plenty of talent. It'd be very easy to do one PPV card and two Fight Pass cards a year there.

They are going to do a lot of cards this year so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets a few Fight Nights. Wouldn't count on a PPV though.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

More Zach Arnold poo poo.

He's trying to layout the relationship between WSOF and Zuffa, and he may very well be on to something, but then he's gotta make it about himself too

quote:

And yet if you point out the obvious personal & past/current business/political connections between Rogich, Ratner, and Lorenzo you are labeled a conspiracy theorist by those who bother to speak up. Meanwhile, the majority of writers who could be discussing the obvious won’t. There’s no upside to doing so. Not only would it piss off allies in Zuffa and WSOF to start blathering about Rogich, it would also require an admission that I’m right. And if there’s one thing I’ve learned — from the testosterone issue to the PRIDE yakuza scandal to athletic commission scandals — it’s that many media writers would rather pass a kidney stone than admit that I’m on the right side of a touchy subject in the fight business.

Also you can check out the comments for a thrilling conversation between Snowden and Zach Arnold

I need to stop reading these articles.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Yahoo posted:

Why Dan Henderson vs. Daniel Cormier shouldn't happen

The odds on the UFC 173 co-main event between Dan Henderson and Daniel Cormier, however, surprisingly appear to resemble the concern myself and many other honest fans and observers have about the contest. Namely, that it isn’t a very fair one for Henderson.

At last glance, Cormier is a heavy, heavy favorite over Henderson. At first, that may sound a bit surprising, especially to ardent admirers of Henderson, such as myself.

How could a former champion like Henderson, who has a vast experience advantage and is coming off a knockout win, be a 8-1 underdog in some places? Well, it may have to do with the fact that, for the sake of his health, Henderson should have probably already retired.

Seeing Henderson step on a scale this week on "UFC: Embedded" and having it read a meager 196 pounds, however, put his stature in the light heavyweight division into sharp focus. Most light heavyweights, like Daniel Cormier, walk around as giants of men – heavyweights – before cutting 15, 20 or more pounds off in water weight the week of a fight in order to hit the 205-pound weight limit.

At this point in Dan Henderson’s career, where he’s slower than just about everyone he faces, being so undersized is flat-out dangerous. Cormier, of course, is no spring chicken in terms of years, either.

"DC" is, however, the much fresher fighter – having been in fewer wars and not yet tasting defeat in MMA – by KO or any other means. Simply put, this is a set-up fight for Henderson.

The whole thing just reads like a Sherdog post and irritated me.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2014

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIrhndo1gc

Bloody Elbow posted:

To say this segment was bizarre is an understatement - it could be the oddest thing we've ever seen on mainstream MMA in the US. There is an obvious parallel here to Bellator's Spike TV stablemates TNA. Because this segment was straight up professional wrestling. The semi-scripted promos from both men, the clearly staged brawl, the reveal of the mysterious masked man (a former ally of Tito's turned against him!) - this was exactly what some people feared would happen when fighters like Tito Ortiz, King Mo, Bobby Lashley, and Rampage Jackson began crossing over between TNA and Bellator. Last night, the carny world of professional wrestling invaded the sport of MMA in a big way.

And it was glorious.

1.) This was a wise business move

At a time when the UFC is churning out show after show, with many of those events feeling decidedly ho-hum and unmemorable, a little bit of fun in MMA may be just what fans need. And it's not as if this is a new model - for years, Japan used a healthy dose of fun to dominate the worldwide MMA scene. Bellator is simply taking aspects of that Japanese model and bringing it here to the US.

By using the names they have effectively, by incorporating aspects of that Japanese model, and by embracing the entertainment, Bellator may just have found the niche that will allow them to be a separate and distinct brand from the UFC. And, most importantly, a successful separate and distinct brand that is fun to watch. And at the end of the day, isn't that what this is all about?

Zach Arnold posted:

Dana White was busy telling people earlier in the week that he didn’t mind giving Bonnar his release to go kick Tito’s rear end. I bet he isn’t singing the same tune tonight.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Greg Jackson posted:

I bet Dana is regretting letting go of Bonnar now that Bellator is literally pro wrestling!!

There are just so many things wrong, I can't even motivate myself to write an indepth critique of their analysis so I'll just give some bullet points. If anyone doesn't understand one, I will elaborate.

• If Bellator keeps doing this, they are no longer in the same space as the UFC.
  • If they keep doing this, they are going to alienate some of their actual fighters in lieu of a few aging light heavyweights.
  • Although we have all watched that video and laughed at it, not everyone is interested in a product like that. If we were, we'd probably watch pro wrestling.
  • The Japanese Model might not be the best one to draw ideas from.
  • I have a hard time believing this is actually going to drum up additional interest in the fight. We'd all probably watch that fight anyway because it's going to be so bad.
  • Tito has a high probability of getting hurt before this fight anyway, making this whole thing a waste of effort and time.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 7, 2014

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There are just so many things wrong, I can't even motivate myself to write an indepth critique of their analysis so I'll just give some bullet points. If anyone doesn't understand one, I will elaborate.

• If they keep doing this, they are going to alienate some of their actual fighters in lieu of a few aging light heavyweights.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

ugh

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Yuriy posted:

we did it you guys, we have the best piece of mma journalism ever produced

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-street-fighting-roos

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

If Dan Quinn was a kangaroo, he would be that kangaroo

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Ben Fowlkes wrote this article about the upcoming Tito-Bonnar fight and while I appreciate that he understands the situation as it is, I also feel like he is trying to explain irony and sarcasm to a child or retarded person, which is probably okay since... MMA fans.

quote:

There’s a moment in Tito Ortiz’s latest video message for Stephan Bonnar in which the former UFC champion, sweaty and somewhat breathless from a fight week workout, pauses to lift his fists in classic ’90s movie school-bully fashion as he issues a dire warning to his opponent in Saturday night’s Bellator 131 main event.

“You better be able to stop these punches from hitting your face,” Ortiz says in his toughest tough-guy voice, “because I’m kicking your rear end.”

If you were writing the script for a self-made, pre-fight Ortiz video in the year 2014, you couldn’t do much better than this. It’s so perfect, so right, so Tito. He even promises to elbow Bonnar in the face for every one of Ortiz’s fans he’s disrespected, punch him for every family member, “and for everybody else,” Ortiz adds, just so all of humanity is represented by some violent act, “I’m throwing a knee in your face.”

In a lot of ways, it’s a fight about nothing. I mean, yes, they are mad at each other, or so they claim, so that’s something, even if it’s the most familiar and therefore tired something that there is in this business. On every other level though, it’s the fight we never asked for. It’s the fight we never even really thought about, and it’s happening at a time in their careers when it feels like the polite thing for us to do would be to look the other way.

There’s an element of dramatic irony at work. The fighter sees himself as he used to be, as we used to see him, and remains seemingly unaware that he has become a parody of this person in all the predictable ways. The feud angle that once worked so well with Ken Shamrock and Chuck Liddell now just feels bizarre. The attempted rebranding as a “people’s champion” feels like the kind of thing that will only play with some very specific types of people with very specific ideas about what the word “champion” means. The pre-fight hype feels like unintentional comedy.

It’s the kind of fight where you might say, “I gotta see this,” only you say it with a smirk.

Anyway, not terribly good or bad, but I guess I was just impressed at how lucid his awareness was or something

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The teeth kisser

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know how exactly, but we keep hitting new lows

How Ronda Rousey Explains the Bibi-Barack Cage Match And why the president rushed right into the prime minister’s arm bar.

I didn't actually read the article and neither should you

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Chuck Mindenhall just posted a really interesting longform piece on finding the lost ark of MMA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

poo poo, man

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically.

I think it's an incredible article.

Yeah, good mma articles are so few and far between that when we get one it is super powerful

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

I asked Mindenhall if he fact checked anything in that article and he ignored me, for some reason.

Don't know why. This guy living in the outback with little income and taking care of his disabled family members is clearly trying to put one over on us. He needs to be exposed for the phony he is.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

david carmichael posted:

No I feel bad for thacker, he was clearly taken advantage of by the ufc. My point of contention here is that this article, despite having an immediate emotional impact, isnt good journalism. Breathlessly repeating someone's story and presenting it as fact without verification, particularly when everything you know about the guy would suggest that perhaps there may be a tall tale being told. Good writing isn't necessarily good journalism. The funny part to me is that the culmination of 18 months of research and investigation was: talked to a guy, didn't verify anything he said. The Jason Thacker mental illness part isn't funny, the credulity of Mindenhall is.

And to be clear: compulsive lying usually isn't done for some kind of gain and almost always ends up being a massive detriment instead.

I've consulted with multiple sources and they all can confirm: this guy's life sucks and he will live on forever as a piece of mma trivia and no one will care one way or the other

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

gunblade posted:

I actually meant to ask about this before, and now seems like a good time: In you guys' opinion, has there ever been legit suspicions of certain fights in the UFC being fixed?

Not unless you count ridiculous mismatches

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I mean, we all thought Palhares was being an rear end in a top hat, but this is the wrong reaction to Jake Shields punching him after he finally let go.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/10/9705426/ufc-video-ultimate-writer-show-st-pierre-vs-hendricks-jose-aldo just watch like 30 seconds of it then

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Nick%20Baldwin

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

ugh that headline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i didn't care about snowden before but i just found this tweet where he talks poo poo on hendo and misaki at the same time and now he is my ideological enemy https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/663388893828521984

He used to write clickbait articles with inflammatory titles for BloodyElbow and hid behind the "I'm just here asking questions" defense and then he "graduated" to Bleacher Report where can he write long winded rehashes of pro wrestlers that everyone has already heard a million times before and make bad/no conclusions about anything and tries to pass it off as analysis.

• Locked thread