Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

StarkRavingMad posted:

All of which are in sharp contrast to "Uralda Gets Her Meaty rear end Mauled By Every Predator in the Land"

I swear that heroquest has the biggest dick RNG problem in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I'm sure this is obvious but I can't seem to figure it out. What is it that restricts the number of thanes you can get? I'm finally getting the hang of this game after being terrible on my first dozen attempts, but suddenly I'm stuck with 2 thanes year after year and it's making things difficult.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
If you pick the option to convince the bulls to help the humans you get a risk free chance to skip right to the last set of responses :)

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

tophet posted:

I'm sure this is obvious but I can't seem to figure it out. What is it that restricts the number of thanes you can get? I'm finally getting the hang of this game after being terrible on my first dozen attempts, but suddenly I'm stuck with 2 thanes year after year and it's making things difficult.

I think it's just how many people total you have to work with, same as the crafters etc. The game wants you to stay pretty close to a given ratio for all your assets.

If you get a bunch of your thanes killed, the number will probably go up a bit to get you back where you should be, or if you wait you'll probably roll one of those events that gives you like a dozen of 'em.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

tophet posted:

You need horses to equip thanes. Unfortunately the only way I know of to get more horses is raiding and with only 2 thanes you're probably not doing much of that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You can buy horses through trading.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

andrew smash posted:

You need horses to equip thanes. Unfortunately the only way I know of to get more horses is raiding and with only 2 thanes you're probably not doing much of that.

Trading gets you horses too

Although I was assuming he's talking 2 additional thanes getting added to his pool year after year, otherwise holy gently caress he's screwed.

E: ^fuc :argh:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
How many weapon thanes do you have NOW? The more you have, the fewer you can recruit in a go--and you honestly don't need all that many. 20 is a LOT.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I just got a random event that gave me 3, but no, I meant I only have 2 total and am not able to recruit more. I have 16 horses.

edit: oh, I didn't realize nobles used horses also, I think that's the problem.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

tophet posted:

I just got a random event that gave me 3, but no, I meant I only have 2 total and am not able to recruit more. I have 16 horses.

edit: oh, I didn't realize nobles used horses also, I think that's the problem.

If you're playing on hard, you're already dead. Any other difficulty is recoverable. Stop putting your nobles and weaponthanes at risk by skirmishing/evading on defensive battles. However, make sure to still make a full raid every 2 years, bare minimum.

Hopefully you have surplus goods, cows, and food, trade all of these these for horses. Horses are very expensive, so you're gonna get shaken down here. If your economy is very bad, you are likely in a vicious negative cycle of slow death.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah 16 is not a lot of horses. You really don't want to have more than 20-30 thanes cause they start getting uppity and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I am pretty bad at this game but I've found keeping 30 thanes is doable if you let them raid a lot. I try to shoot for one in fire, one in storm plus a cattle raid here and there.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I'm on my second game (first was a short one and apparently if you lose out on being king once it's automatic game over which is dumb). I've had 40 thanes one time. That was pretty awesome but I think the game has some hidden things going on to make sure you don't get huge, so after that I had some events happen that basically killed a bunch of my guys back down to 20. I have no idea how to get more guys than about 22. I thought it was horses but I have 350+, and over 1000 pop (already split once as well). It's annoying that I can't get more thanes since my advisors keep bitching me out for it.

Best clan seems to be peace clan. Put all your stuff into herds then maybe a point in crops and of course as much as you can in war. Then you go raid like 2-3 times a year. Since you bring in all the money you can build a bunch of temples and have constant blessings up all the time to offset losing a point or two in war magic. Plus once you get to the point that you can do hero quests well (tribe level), just keep doing the ones that give 10+ magic and you're set.

I don't get how taking land works. Some neighbors don't get the option at all, and though I beat on one clan for years, each time I tried to seize land it just plain wouldn't let me despite destroying them. First time I tried it my last game it worked, so I have no idea what it is.

The most annoying thing so far in this second game is that I let one clan pay me annual tribute for me not to kill them anymore. So this was great and all until they started raiding me (failing horribly of course). I counter-raided them, then the gods got PISSED at me for breaking my oath. Apparently they're very literal about the agreement being "we pay you not to kill us (but there's nothing about letting us kill you!)". I think it's a bug to be honest because it's stupid that a clan can pay tribute to me but also has the ability to attack me then hide behind the "agreement" when I come for vengeance.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
When are you supposed to be able to form a tribe? Do you have to do something to trigger the events?

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned
Just bought this game on ios. Brings back memories, seriously one of the coolest, weirdest games ever.
Now if I could ever become good at it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Oceanbound posted:

When are you supposed to be able to form a tribe? Do you have to do something to trigger the events?

Hit maximum reputation, and complete seven DIFFERENT heroquests successfully (this is wrong sorry). Make friends with your neighbors while you're at it, or all of them but one who you constantly raid like a tremendous tool. Then wait for the event.

Be nice to horse people, when you're not killing them with the bullroarer.

While you're waiting, use all the goods and horses you're constantly stealing from your bullied neighbor (especially horses, they're expensive and you don't need a lot) to buy treasures from all of the other clans, treasures are amazing and treasures you don't like or can't use are useful for tribe formation.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Loving the iPhone version, but seeing the PC screenshots of KoDP makes me want an iPad version sooo bad. They cut out so much cool stuff (Tula view, crafting dialogs) to make it fit that it's not even funny.

Also, gently caress Cragspider.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Just beat my first short game with an all war build. All war all the time. I found it an extremely easy build from the beginning. You just raid in fire and storm seasons and focus on the other stuff during the rest.

I took the most land to start and had to split off into another clan because I ended up adding way too much population. Once I got rolling on raiding, you can manage how many clans attack you by focusing on one clan at a time until they wave the white flag and give you cows. In the later stages I was actually able to attack the clans who didn't join my tribe and seize their land, after beating them down enough. Sometimes they just left on their own after repeatedly telling them I wouldn't take cows and I would raid them whenever I want.

I have also found that save scumming hero quests is a must. You really don't want to lose an important ring member on a bad dice roll.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Mystic Mongol posted:

While you're waiting, use all the goods and horses you're constantly stealing from your bullied neighbor (especially horses, they're expensive and you don't need a lot) to buy treasures from all of the other clans, treasures are amazing and treasures you don't like or can't use are useful for tribe formation.

I feel like they changed this in the iphone version. I've been sending out tons of trade caravans, but the only treasure I'm seeing for sale is spirit fetches. Maybe one time out of 10 I was offered the First Arrow, but that's it.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that one of the character portraits is Jonathan "Number One" Frakes

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Emo Rodeo posted:

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that one of the character portraits is Jonathan "Number One" Frakes

Whaaaaat, I have not seen this. Will have to look at it.

If you believe appshopper this hasn't been selling real well. Kind of a shame. They could probably make a lot of business of cutting it to $5 but I'm surprised it didn't debut stronger given all the positive reviews.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Emo Rodeo posted:

I can't remember them off the top of my head, but a couple of characters appear based on real people.

Holy crap, I just finished the most brutal 10 years as tribe king yet. How do you stop starving all the time? I was losing about 200 people a year and even with crop magic maxed out, plenty of land, and all the right temples I couldn't produce anywhere near enough food. I had a lot of goods so I could trade for some, but it was never enough.

I think at the end I was producing like 200 bushels a year. It was awful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Did you try using earthblood? It makes your fields insanely fertile. You can sacrifice to your ancestor spirits to summon your ancient enemy in a raid for you to slaughter to get it rolling.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
What was your adult/child ratio like? It's easy to drown your tula in useless non-producing rugrats.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

I'm probably one of maybe 15 people who can honestly say they bought this back in 1999. So incredibly happy to see it revived. It's going on my iPod Touch.

What crazy business is next? An OS X port of Realmz?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Crackpipe posted:

I'm probably one of maybe 15 people who can honestly say they bought this back in 1999. So incredibly happy to see it revived. It's going on my iPod Touch.

What crazy business is next? An OS X port of Realmz?

It's no port but if you have the classic environment disk images you can always use sheepshaver to run classic on a modern x86 mac. That's actually how I was running KoDP for a while, it works significantly easier in classic than it does on modern windows versions.

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.
How do you clear wilderness? Does this happen automatically?

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

coco bryce posted:

How do you clear wilderness? Does this happen automatically?

There's a slider that lets you set how much forest to chop down to provide pasture for your herds.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just had my latest tribe get destroyed by a giant chaos beast. Every year it came around and killed ~100 people, killing any weapon thanes I sent at it while the Uroxi ignored me :(

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Sacrifice more cows to Urox and Elmal. Do Elmal's heroquest to help fight chaos as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

Did you try using earthblood? It makes your fields insanely fertile. You can sacrifice to your ancestor spirits to summon your ancient enemy in a raid for you to slaughter to get it rolling.

I did not try Earthblood because at that point I was largely peaceful and wasn't getting raided. I'll have to try that next time.

And yeah, I had way too many kids since I was only staying afloat by importing farmers. Unfortunately those kids didn't often reach adulthood.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

I did not try Earthblood because at that point I was largely peaceful and wasn't getting raided. I'll have to try that next time.

And yeah, I had way too many kids since I was only staying afloat by importing farmers. Unfortunately those kids didn't often reach adulthood.

Kids are the worst. They drat near sunk my LP. It was a scrabbling solution, but you can recruit 'wanderers and vagabonds' to your tula, and they don't come with children of their own, unlike the other options.

never never never put magic into children, it's like firebombing yourself. If mandatory castration for all citizens was an option I'd do that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Kids are the worst. They drat near sunk my LP. It was a scrabbling solution, but you can recruit 'wanderers and vagabonds' to your tula, and they don't come with children of their own, unlike the other options.

never never never put magic into children, it's like firebombing yourself. If mandatory castration for all citizens was an option I'd do that.

It seems like the iOS version got rid of the Children magic, probably for this very reason! Children are the worst because ~20 get initiated every year but you can easily lose double that in a very bad raid, causing you to not have enough workers for all the children you're feeding and recruiting in any great number (Vagabonds tends to get me single digits) gets you MORE children. I wonder if starving the clan for a year would help...

Another question! Is it possible to kill that Shaman outlaw that will sometimes capture an exploring noble? Whenever I send a party, he turns them against each other and everyone dies.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Krispy Kareem posted:

also if you need more farmers but don't want to deal with kids you can free thralls, assuming you're a slave-taking clan to begin with. Capture a bunch, then free them - they don't come with kids. You just have to make sure you're doing enough to keep your carls happy as they don't much like competing with freed slaves for cattle.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you're a thrall-taking clan you can also just take more thralls. There's a bit of danger in getting them, though...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Sankis posted:

Another question! Is it possible to kill that Shaman outlaw that will sometimes capture an exploring noble? Whenever I send a party, he turns them against each other and everyone dies.

If it's the event I'm thinking of, there was an option to sacrifice to the spirits of your ancestors for protection, and I had no problems taking on the shaman after having used that. At least I think it was the ancestors.. either way, there should be an option there for getting protection against his spirits.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Phy posted:

I lack both an iphone and the patience to sink myself into this game, but drat if it doesn't have some amazing art.

THAT GODDAMN DUCK

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man, moving the difficulty slider from what it calls normal to what I guess is 'semi-hard' does sure make a difference vis a vis the amount of poo poo the game rains down on your head from above. I very rarely see a straight up windfall event like I would have every few months on easy, which includes things that have pretty obvious solutions. All the other clans are way testier and take much longer to win over. The raids, oh god the raids. Made the mistake of not paying tribute to the Colymars, then they show up with 400 footmen and like 100 thanes :(.

I wonder if I'll ever have the fortitude to move up to hard. Does the cragspider just show up for tea three seasons in? :frogsiren:

Also, what's the best way to deal with the fox spirit? He manages to gently caress me every time, though I don't know if I've used every option. Any god in particular I should sacrifice him to if I grab the little fucker? It only now occurs to me that I should have tried Eurmal because, duh, trickster spirit.

Is the Horse-Spawn thrall rescue thing just another crag spider autodeath? I explored to the SW and got an event to save a bunch of thralls, but my entire war party vanished and the next one I sent all got captured too. Then I got raided. Wasn't a great year. I'm wondering if I should just send more dudes next time but I don't wanna throw them down a black hole.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does the Silver Dragon do anything? I even tried to barter it for food at one point and I think I got 17 cows. Hardly worth the trouble.

The clod of dirt though...many a thane cried out to their mothers on that darkest of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Illegal Username posted:

THAT GODDAMN DUCK

No, this goddamn duck

• Locked thread