Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Right hand strikes the left
Valiant men forfeit life, and
Craven men, honor
Perishing like autumn leaves
Can the rest be far behind?

The caravan wends its way along the hard-packed earth of the Imperial Highway. In the lead, taisa Matsu Munemori chooses a careful path between the pools of standing water remaining from the winter snowmelt. As they clear the last vestiges of the forest that had flanked the highway for several li, the caravan's gold and brown banners finally catch a light breeze and begin fitfully streaming from the tops of their standards. All eyes look aloft, and the footsore travelers finally spy the gleaming fortress overlooking Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho--Violence Behind Courtliness City. The place where, just a few short months ago, the implacable tide of the Lion armies finally broke, and the Crane victory was assured--though none would deny that it was anything other than a pyrrhic victory for the defenders.

Toshi Ranbo. Within its newly-whitewashed walls their revered Champion, Akodo Arasou, was slain by the underhanded tricks of the Crane. Their noble Champion who was replaced by...what? A man who had previously retreated to a monastery rather than take up the battle against the enemies of the Lion. And yet, this man was their new daimyo. When he called upon them to march to Toshi Ranbo not in the midst of a dozen conquering legions, but as a dozen men in a delegation of peace, they obeyed. For such was their Duty.

As they approach the gates, the heavily-laden ponies dutifully plod beneath a series of rough-hewn torii arches--seven in all, for the Seven Fortunes, and for the Seven Clans. Once they close to within a dozen paces of the gates, a lone Tsume Pikeman standing athwart the road, whose weapon still seems red from the blood of their Lion brethren--or is that just the setting sun?--calls the caravan to a halt. The massive, heavily-timbered (and obviously newly-fashioned) gates swing open on oiled hinges and a company of Pikemen stream forth. At their head stride several samurai, including Governor Doji Inejiro himself--the one who was supposed to have finally struck down Akodo Arasou, despite the rumors that he was not a particularly accomplished warrior or duelist. One could certainly be forgiven for holding such a view of the man, for the ornate mantle of peacock feathers resting upon his shoulders does not betray one of a martial mien.

The company of Lion had all expected formal introductions only after being given the opportunity for rest and refreshment; none had expected the Governor to be so eager to greet those who had come within one swing of a katana of sacking his home. Uncertain of this apparent breach of protocol, Matsu Munemori glances back to his companion, Kitsu Gojiro, who in turn merely nods and inclines his head toward the Governor and his party.

Munemori stiffly dismounts and salutes the Governor, while Doji Inejiro for his part bows in greeting. Casting his arms wide, the iridescent feathers seeming to catch every ray of the fading sunlight, Inejiro speaks:

"Welcome, brothers, to Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho. I am honored that you have chosen to attend the Festival of Peace among your fellow servants of the Son of Heaven. I who greet you am Doji Inejiro, Governor of this shining jewel, and I pray that you all might partake of the respite for both body and soul residing within its walls."

Inejiro indicates the man to his right, a samurai clad in exquisite armor decorated with an elaborate interwoven pattern of sky, and cloud, and leaf. He does not bow, neither does he take his hand from the hilt of his katana nor his eyes from those arrayed opposite him. Doji Inejiro continues, "This is my trusted hatamoto, yojimbo, and rikugunshokan of my forces, Daidoji Eizo."

Inejiro now gestures toward the man on his left, a man dressed in what apparently passes for fashion among the Crane these days. "And this is Asahina Kazui, Diviner of Secrets, advisor and shugenja of my court." This man does bow, though he first gathers up the nearly-floor-length, flowing sleeves of his kimono, lest they trail in the muddy ground.

"Should any of you have a need, and I am attending to other urgent matters, do not hesitate to bring your concerns to either Eizo-san or Kazui-san. For we are all at your service."

At the conclusion of his welcome, there is a brief pause, until the Lion Commander raises his voice. "I am Matsu Munemori, loyal vassal of Akodo Toturi, who has sent us as envoys bearing the goodwill of our Clan, as well as our fervent prayers for restoration of peace to the Emerald Empire." While some Lion would no doubt choke upon such words, the Matsu appears to believe them. No trained courtier he, and yet he is not unsuited to the task. As his companion dismounts and takes up his place, Munemori adds, "The Most Revered Kitsu Gojiro, from the Sacred Halls of the Ancestors, serves at my right hand. We are honored to be guests within your home."

Upon the conclusion of the Matsu's words, Inejiro speaks again, "Welcome, all of you. I would learn your names as well, and would have every member of my Court greet each of you by name."

Team Lion, you're up. Start with whatever introduction you would care to give to Inejiro and his Court; please post your finalized character sheet as well. Once the four Lion have spoken, the other members of the Crane Court that Inejiro has brought out for his unorthodox greeting are welcome to address the visiting Lion delegation as well. That includes Doji Yuri, Kitsuki Ryoma, and Brother Kyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Akodo Takao couldn't believe it. He had expected to be standing in the courtyard of Toshi Ranbo, but as part of a conquering army, not as part of a peace delegation. And to be standing in front of Doji Inejiro, of all people, who was the man responsible for killing the Lion Daimyo; it's almost too much to bear.

Still, he was Samurai. His place was obedience and service. If the new Daimyo wants peace with the Crane, there will be peace, at least until the Crane's true nature comes out and they betray the truce. And if he is called to be part of this embassy, what is there to do? There is no choice but duty, and if that means pretending nicety in front of the treacherous Crane, Takao knows what he must do.

He steps forward and gives a stiff but deep bow. "Inejiro-sama, Eizo-sama, Kazui-sama, I am Akodo Takao, and I greet you with the hope that we will long enjoy peace between our two clans."

Aware/Ett 4k2

pre:
Akodo Takao
Clan: Lion
Family: Akodo
School: Akodo Bushi 1
Insight: 139 
Honor 6.1
Glory 2.8                         Status 1
XP Pool 4

Air 2
-Reflexes 2			-Awareness 3

Earth 2
-Willpower 2			-Stamina 2

Fire 3
-Agility 3			-Intelligence 3

Water 3
-Perception 3			-Strength 3

Void 2

Brash		 	        [If insulted, roll against willpower at TN25 or attack]
Overconfident                   [Must roll Perception at TN20 to withdraw]
Lechery                         [+1k1 to Seduction rolls against me]
Heart of Vengeance (Crane)	[+1k1 to any contested roll made against a Crane character]
Virtuous                        [+1 to Starting honor]

Skills: 
-Battle (Mass Combat) 1
-Defense 1
-Kenjutsu 3			[M3: +1k0 w/ all swords]
-Kyujutsu 2
-Lore: History 1
-Sincerity 1
-Lore: Bushido 1	         
Lore: Heraldry 1
Investigation 2
Etiquette 2
Tea Ceremony 2
Iajutsu 1
Athletics 1

RANK 1: THE WAY OF THE LION
You may either ignore the portion of an opponent’s Armor TN derived from Armor, 
or gain a Free Raise when attacking. (You do not ignore Reduction from  the 
Armor while choosing the first option.)  Also, you gain a bonus of +1k0 to the 
total of all attack rolls on your first melee attack against  an opponent in a 
skirmish,or against any opponent who has declared a Raise on an attack against
you since your last turn.  You add only a total of 1k0 for an enemy who Raised 
against you, no matter how many times they actually Raised.

Equipment

Light Armor [+5 bonus to Armor TN, 3 Reduction, increases TN of Athletics and Stealth
by 5]
Sturdy Clothing
Daisho [Katana DR 3K2, Wakizashi DR 2k2]
Yumi  [Strength 3]
10 Willow Leaf Arrows
Travelling Pack
w/ Blanket
Chopsticks
Flint and tinder
Lantern
Parchment and charcoal
Personal Seal
Rope
Spare Kimono and Sandals
Tea Set
Week's Rations
Whetstone
Bowyer's kit
3 flasks Lantern oil
2 koku
2 bu
1 zeni

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 3, 2012

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Akodo Hiro

Hiro bows. Another Lion bushi in another Crane court. The ride here had been a good one, it had cleared his mind. No voice other than his own had danced in his head since the appointment. If the troublesome grandfather had an issue with his posting, he had not voiced it. It was a pity in a way. Hiro had hoped for council on the strange man who was so close to their daimyo. He knew such men existed, of course, but to meet with such a creature was troublesome.

Looking around to the grounds, the vast holdings of this place, the corners of his face turn up in a smile. Such opulence, but served with a kind of dignity and honor. He would do well here, Hiro decides. The line of honor and duty was a precarious one. It was his to walk with perfect balance, with good grace. He would do his duty, as best he could.

Sins of the past would remain there.

Such a reverie was not for this time. Duty demanded his attention. He stands in a humble kimono, a mix of simple gold and black with the Akodo mon over his heart and no Ikoma mon at all. He wears neither armor nor daisho as he is presented to the Governor and his cohort. He strives to be the picture of Lion dignity, and speaks. By rights he should speak after the proper diplomat, but if the slight slip in the order of propriety was seen as the misstep of another clumsy bushi in the courts of the great, that was certainly not Hiro's fault. The Ikoma's yojimbo had already spoken out of turn. It was good.

Stepping forward, he bows low. Lower than is needed, perhaps, but it would be difficult to say. Again within the bounds of acceptable behavior but perhaps just outside strict propriety. "Many thanks from the Akodo, and from myself. I am Akodo Hiro, and I am honored by your hospitality and your grace. I pledge my honor to the cause for which we have all gathered, and know the course of duty will guide us all plainly." A simple enough statement, true enough.

Aware/Ett 4k3; spending a void to not gently caress this up for 5k4

pre:
Akodo Hiro
Family: Akodo
School: Ikoma Lion's Shadow
Insight: 123 (100+20+3)
Honor: 5.6

Air 2
Earth 2
Fire 2
-Agility 3			-Intelligence 2
Water 2
-Perception 3			-Strength 2
Void 2

Prodigy				[+1k0 to all school skill rolls]
Crafty                     	[Low Skills Count as Trained]
Cursed of Meido			[When not paying attention, -1k0 to Per Rolls]
Idealistic			[Honor Losses are Greater]
Haunted				[Grandpa Hiro is a DICK]

Skills: 
Courtier 3			[M3: Insight is +3 over normal]
Etiquette 1
Kenjutsu 3			[M3: May add +1k0 to all sword damage]
Investigation (Notice) 1
Sincerity 1
Stealth 1
Battle 1

Lore: History 1
Iajutsu 3			[M3: May draw Katana as free action]
Games: Shogi 1
Caligraphy 1
Athletics 1
Meditation 2

Gear: Daisho, Tessen, Traditional  Clothing, Calligraphy Set, Shogi Board and Tiles, Parchment 
and Charcoal, Sake Cup,  Tea Set, Spare  Kimono and  Sandals, Fan, Cherrywood Chopsticks, Copy 
of the Tao of Shinsei, Copy of Akodo's Leadership, Wide Brimmed Straw Hat.

Rank One: No Boundaries
Those who walk the path  of Ikoma choose a  life of self-sacrifice and questionable actions in 
order to serve their clan as their founder did. You do not lose Honor for using Low Skills  if 
they are used directly for the goals or glory of the Lion Clan (subject to GM judgment).  As a 
Free Action you may target a number of opponents equal to your School Rank;  you gain  a bonus 
of +1k0 to the total of all attack rolls and Contested Rolls made against these opponents.This 
bonus may be activated a number of times per day equal to your School Rank,and lasts until the 
end of the day.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 1, 2012

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

Intolio Crane's Den He said, correcting himself as he saw the city rise before them. His thoughts had been equally of his love and of history, the city that had blunted the blade of the lion, the crane that had stolen the heart of one... perhaps he could write a poem that would make even the crab weep with that tale. One thing he was sure on that he would have to keep his eyes open in this city, not only was he brokering agreements with the crane... a clan that could not draw a sword without having out-debated several other clan's at once, his loyalty for the lion would surely be questions, he would have to be careful with every moment, another reason to long for his Hinamori, whose company he could relax in.

The governor approached them, perhaps to appraise their party or to simply offer thanks... he was thinking like a solider, a habit when you have been reading military reports for days, trying to piece together the flow of the war. He listened intently, noting down each name, each part in this play that they would be enacting, the hero, the soldier, the wise man, it was not like when he had to deal with the Mantis, there was no loose lipped old soldier he could enjoy a drink with... but he had his duty to do. He was dressed in the gold of his clan, shrugging off the heavy cloak to let his soft robes show, the golden fabric fitted well with a slight effect of a mane around the collar.

"It is an honor for you to greet us in person Inejiro-sama, I did not expect the hero of the city to bother with such grace, though you are a man of many surprises it seems, thank you for taking your time to greet us"

"Eizo-Sama who managed to blunt our strikes with his out-numbered forces, managing to delay the blade of even the mighty lion with wits and valor, it is an honor"

"Kazui-sama, your wisdom is obvious even to I, I found your writings on the kami most fascinating, they made the journey here more pleasant... so for that small grace I thank you"

"From the Ikoma I give thanks, and from Myself as well, I am Ikoma Shinakio and am the Diplomat for the lion, over the festival I expect us to talk much, so I am glad we have started amicably"

For each of the men he bowed as he spoke to them, stepping forward only to speak. He was the soldier of this battlefield, and he wished to be the one that would handle any problems, it was his duty as a courtier after all.
Awareness/Ett 6k3 (I'll leave you to apply the 0k1 from benten's blessing Tycho, just add it whenever you feel I am persuading someone)

pre:
Ikoma Shinakio
Family: Ikoma
School: Ikoma Bard
Insight:

Air 2

Earth 2
-Willpower 3			-Stamina 2

Fire 2
-Agility 2			-Intelligence 3

Water 2
-Perception 2			-Strength 2

Void 2

Skills: 

Courtier 3
Etiquette 3
Lore: History (Lion Clan) 1
Lore: History (Crane Clan) 1
Perform: Storytelling 3
Sincerity (Honesty) 3
Acting 2
Caligraphy 2
Artisan: Poetry
Games: Shogi

War Fan 1

Rank One: 

Advantages:
Benten's Blessing
Blissful Betrothal
Paragon: Honesty

Disadvantages
Fascination: Stories [1]
Overconfident [4]
True Love [3]
Soft hearted [2]

Cost Breakdown
Coutier 1-3 (2+3)   5
Sincerity 1-3 (2+3) 5
Perform (story) 1-3 5
Willpower 3         12
Blissful Betrothal  2
Benten's blessing   4
Caligraphy 0-1      1
Etiquette 1-3       5
Acting 1-2          2
Artisan 0-1         1
Lore: 0-1           1
Paragon             6
Games: Shogi        1

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 13, 2011

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Ikoma Taji

Taji had been quiet on the journey to their new posting - the encounter with the more senior Lion samurai had unnerved him, which was a rare enough occurrence. He had seemed inviting, friendly, and helpful - which of course, set off all of the Ikoma's training that had been drilled into him over the past few years.

Still, he was far away from that man, whoever he was. Toshi Ranbo would provide him a chance to shore up his defenses against whatever was being planned, so that he could be sure to weather any siege. And the duty they had been assigned was an important thing, even if it was not to the nobly conducted. Whatever reservations he had about their mysterious superior, he would carry out the orders he and Hiro had been given.

Besides all of that, this would give him a chance to perhaps watch the Kakita smiths at work. They jealously guarded their secrets, but had his training not taught him that every secret was available to the cunning observer?

"Greetings, honored Crane-sama." Taji bows low, showing the proper respect to the men who far outstripped him in glory. "I am Ikoma Taji, and I thank you for the great hospitality you have shown us."

It was a simple greeting, but Taji knew this was just a formality. He and Hiro would simply be background players until they were free in the city to carry out their intelligence gathering and espionage.

pre:
Ikoma Taji
Family: Ikoma
School: Ikoma Lion's Shadow

Air	2
	Reflexes	2 
	Awareness	4

Earth   2
	Stamina		2
	Willpower	2

Fire    3
	Agility		3
	Intelligence	3

Water	2
	Strength	2
	Perception	2

Void	2 

Skills

Commerce			1
Courtier			2
Craft
	 Weaponsmithing 	3 [School]
Defense				1
Etiquette			2
Horsemanship			1
Hunting				1
Jiujutsu			1
Kenjutsu			2
Invesitgation (Notice)		1
Lore
	Bushido			1
	Heraldry		1
Meditation                      1
Perform	
	Drums			1
Sincerity			1
Stealth				1

Advantages
Balance				2

Disadvantages 
Fascination (Weapons)		1
Sworn Enemy (Ikoma Kosoku)	5

Equipment:
Traditional Clothing
Calligraphy Set
Tanto
Daisho 
Travelling Pack
  -Blacksmith's Hammer
  -Chopsticks
  -Personal Chop
  -Whetstone
  -Tatami Mat
  -Drums
  -'Father's' prayer beads
  -Small Hand Mirror
  -Utility Knife
  -Leadership

CP Expidenture:
	Agility		2->3	: 12
	Intelligence	2->3	: 12
	Craft 		1->3	: 05
	Kenjutsu	1->2	: 02
	Commerce	0->1	: 01
	Courtier	1->2	: 02
	Etiquette	1->2	: 02
	Defense		0->1	: 01
	Horsemanship	0->1	: 01
	Hunting		0->1	: 01
	Jiujutsu	0->1	: 01
	Lore: H		0->1	: 01
	Lore: B		0->1	: 01
        Meditation      0->1    : 01 
	Perform: D	0->1	: 01
	Sworn Enemy		:-05
	Fascination		:-01
	Balance			: 02 

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

Ryoma took a deep breath. The thick, rich air here enervated him; it felt so much better than the thin air of the mountainous Dragon Lands. As the caravan moved into the courtyard Ryoma was hit full force with the magnificent of the Crane's aestetics.

Three men were there to greet the group. The one in the middle must be the Governor, Doji Inejiro-sama, that his father had sent Ryoma to join.

The four Lions in the party approached the Gorernor and his men first. Ryoma overheard the other men introduce themselves as Daidoji, the rikugunshokan, and Asahina, the shugenja. The men said their words and exchanged courtesies.

It was Ryoma's turn now. He stepped forward from the caravan.

"Doji-sama, Daidoji-sama, Asahina-sama. I am most honored to make your acquaintance.

Ryoma bowed deeply to the three men, making sure to appropriately pay them the respects to which they each were due.

"I am Ryoma, son of Kitsuki Ryodo of the Clan Dragon. I am most thankful of your hospitality, and your kindness for letting me join you here for this great Festival."

"My father spoke most highly of you, Governor Doji-sama. Thank you again for letting me serve you here."

Again, out of his gratitude, Ryoma bowed to the Governor.

Aware/Ett (Courtesy) 4k3

pre:
Kitsuki Ryoma
Clan: Dragon
Family: Kitsuki
School: The Kitsuki Investigator School
Insight: 123
Honor: 6.3
Glory: 3.2

Rings:
Air 2

Earth 2

Fire 2
-Agility 2			-Intelligence 3

Water 2
-Perception 3			-Strength 2

Void 2

Adv/Disadv:
Allies 			[Influence: 4 | Devotion: 1; The Governor, Doji Inejiro]
Balance			[+1k0 to Honor Roll vs. Intimidation/Temptation]
Clear Thinker		[+1k0 to Contested Roll vs. confusion/manipulation]
Read Lips		[Perception Trait Roll vs. TN 15 + 5/20 FT]
Precise Memory		[+1k1 to Intelligence when remembering things]
Over Confident		[Must pass Perception Roll (20) to see situation is beyond me]
Bad Health		[Earth Ring rank -1 for Wound Ranks and vs. disease]

Skills: 18
-Courtier			         3
-Investigation (Interrogation)(Notice)	 3
-Kenjutsu			         2			
-Meditation		                 1
-Lore: History		                 1
-Sincerity			         2
-Etiquette (Courtesy)		         3
Calligraphy		                 1
Games (Sadane)		                 1
Games (Go)		                 1
Defense                                  2
Lore: Oni                                1
Lore: Maho                               1
Lore: Spirits                            1

RANK 1: KITSUKI’S METHOD
The Kitsuki are masters of investigation and perception, noticing the most 
minute and telling details with merely a glance. You gain a Free Raise on 
all your Investigation Skill Rolls. However, while the Kitsuki are trained 
for investigation and diplomacy, unlike other courtiers they do not wholly 
neglect the ways of the warrior. In a skirmish, you add your Perception Trait 
Rank to your Armor TN.

Cost Breakdown
Courtier 3		 5
Caligraphy 1	         1
Investi (Intero) 3	 5
Games (Sadane) 1         1
Games (Go) 1	         1
Sincerity 2		 2
Etiquette 3		 5
Allies		         4
Balance		         2
Clear Thinker	         2
Read Lips 	         3
Precise Memory	         3
Intelligence 3  	 12
Defense 1                1
Disadv		         -7
Total 		         40

Equipment:
Traditional Clothing 
Wakizashi [DR 2k2]
Knife 
Calligraphy Set 
Traveling Pack
-Blanket
-Tatami Mat
-Pillow Book
-Ink Brush Kit
-Miniature Go Set
-Personal Seal
-Fan
-Chopsticks
-Bottle of Water
-Coin Purse [5 koku]

---
9/28/11:
5 XP awarded
11/15/11:
6 XP awarded (11 Total)
-2 XP -> (Notice) emphasis taken.
9 XP Remaining
-2 Honor
-2 Glory
3/1/12
+10 Honor
+4 Glory
6 XP awarded (15 Total)
Rank 1 Lore: Oni, Maho, Spirits awarded
Tainted (?)
-2 XP -> Defense 2 taken.
-2 XP -> Kenjutsu 2 taken.
11 XP Remaining

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 2, 2012

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

Watching and listening carefully as the various introductions are made, he takes note of each man's name, his stance, his mien, his expression as words are spoken and left unsaid. Truly the wise man keeps silent if he is to remain so, he reflects as he watches the various interactions.

Once the introductions of the others have ended, he smiles as wide as if he were greeting a favored son after a long-missed absence, spreading his arms wider as he moves forward, seemingly ready to embrace the entire party of Lion. "This humble disciple of the Little Teacher bids you a thousand thousand welcomes, honorables, in the name of peace. Truly we are fortunate to entertain the company of such worthy men of such an honorable Clan."

pre:
Name: Brother Kyo
Clan: Brotherhood of Shinsei
Family: N/A
School: Order of the Four Temples
Devotion: Shintao
Insight: 189+6 for courtier 3/etiquette 6=193 Rank 3
Glory 2.65
Honor 8
Status 1
Shadow 0
TN: 25 (ref (4) x 5 + 5 + Armor (0))
Initiatve: 7k4
Wounds: 38

Earth 2
  Stamina 2
  Willpower 2

Water 3
  Perception 3
  Strength 3

Fire 3
  Agility 3
  Intelligence 3

Air 4
  Awareness 4
  Reflexes 4 (12 xp)

Void 4

Advantages (9)
Hand of Stone (5pts)
Unarmed damage rolls increased by +0k1
Benten’s Blessing 4pts (spiritual) persuasion +0k1
Enlightened (5pts)
XP cost for void ring raise reduced by 2
Great Destiny
Once per session deux et machina prevents your death by leaving you with one wound instead of killing you.

Disadvantages (10)
Driven (mental) 2 points Bring peace between all the warring clans
                         that external/existential threats might properly be faced at greatest strength

Soft-Hearted (mental) 2 points

Ascetic (3 points) (mental) get only ¼ normal glory award

Lord Moon’s Curse (3) (Spiritual) 
Gone courtesy of the Enlightened Monk.

Cast Out (Temples in Otosan Uchi), which is effectively Infamy when it comes to monks serving in the Imperial City.

Skills:
Athletics (Str) 1 (1xp)
Courtier 3 (Awareness) (5xp)
*Games (Int) (Go) 1
Etiquette 4 (Awareness) (5xp)
Investigation 3 (Perception) (3xp)
Jiujitsu 3 (Agility) (5XP) (At rank 3 all unarmed attacks are increased by +1k0)
Lore Theology (Shintao) (Int) 2
Meditation (Void) 3 (5xp) (success regains 2 Void instead of one at rank 3)
Sincerity 3 (Awareness) (6xp)
*Staves 3 (Agility) (5xp) (At Rank 3 armor bonuses no longed doubled vs Staff)
Tea Ceremony 1 (Int) (freebie)

Technique:
Soul of Civility: When you spend a Void to augment a High/Social skill roll you get +2k2 instead of 1k1

Kiho:
Mastery Level = Ring + School (Insight) rank
Activate kiho: Meditation (3) + Void (4) vs TN 15 for Complex Action or TN 30 as Simple Action, or spend a Void Point 7k4
(free action, does not count vs number of void spent per round restriction).
Atemi attack: Meditation (3) + Void (4) vs opponent's TN (with 2xArmor TN bonus).
 Must be able to hit bare skin. 7k4

Buoyed by the Kami (Water 3)
Type: Mystical
simple move actions, lasts 5m, can renew it at that time, go across water like its land

Touch the Void Dragon: (Void 4)
Type: Internal
1 Ring and its traits 1 level higher depending where you are while active. 
shore water mountains earth plains air volcano/desert fire etc.

Stain Upon the Soul (Air 3)
Type: Martial (atemi)
Inflict pain/TN penalty of wound levels equal to air ring (3) with successful atemi attack

The Great Silence (Air 4) 
Type: (Mystical) (atemi)
successful atemi attack renders opponent unable to speak for rounds = Air ring (3)

Cleanse the Soul (Fire 3) AKA Mr. Miyagi’s Magic Hands
Type: Mystical (Atemi)
Exactly the opposite of Stain Upon the Soul, with a successful atemi “attack”, this kiho 
removes any inflicted TN Penalties (e.g., from Wounds or various spell effects) from a target 
equal to the monk’s Fire Ring x 5. This effect lasts for a number of hours equal to the monk’s 
Fire Ring. This kiho does not negate TN Penalties from Wounds or other effects that are 
received after the application of the kiho, nor does it actually heal Wounds. It cannot negate 
other effects of the Down Wound Rank (e.g., incapacitation) unless the monk can overcome the 
entire TN penalty (i.e., the monk has a Fire Ring of 8), and it is useless if the target is 
already Out or (obviously) Dead. Multiple applications of this kiho to a single recipient do 
not stack (no nickel-and-diming away grievous injuries), though subsequent use of this kiho on 
the same target is effective once the initial duration expires.

Harmony of the Mind: (Air 5)
Contested Air roll (3k3) for one of the following:
highest/lowest ring, highest skill rank, highest cost Spiritual Ad/Disad. Successful raises
 get one more bit per.

Eight directions awareness: (Void 5) 
voidx10ft hidden people detector and secret poo poo detector 

CHI PROTECTION (Water 4) 
Type: Martial (Atemi) 
Spend a Void Point to activate this Kiho (as opposed to the normal allowance to activate by a
 Void / Meditation TN 15 + double armor TN Skill Roll), which is done immediately after successfully striking a target 
(either an opponent or a willing ally) with an atemi strike. The individual targeted by the 
strike regains a number of Wounds equal to your Water Ring, immediately and then at the start
 of your Turn every subsequent Round for a number of Rounds equal to your Insight Rank. You 
may not use this Kiho on yourself. (water ring 3, succ 3 wounds, then three more for three more
 rounds for a grand total of 12 wounds in one combat).

Thunder's Word (Air 6)
Complex action, draw deep breath, shout single word of power, all living beings capable of hearing
must make Contested Air roll vs. single Air roll by me. 
Failure = Dazed for Air Ring rounds (currently 3).

To The Last Breath (Void 3)
Type: Kharmic
Exhale and give one person within 20 feet a void point their next turn. 
Can only do it 2x/day per person.

Weapons:
Bo Large DR 1k2 (Agility) (staves 3 ignore double armor penalty) 4k2
Attack roll: 6k3
Fist 0k1 (Hand of Stone +0k1) (Jiujitsu 3 +1k0) (Strength) 2k2
Attack roll: 6k3

Eq: Bo, coarse and plain traveling clothing, scroll satchel with verses from the Tao, 2 zeni

Awards:
+.7 Honor for the big Sparrow battle. 
+.4 Glory for the big Sparrow battle. (1/4 of which is .1)
+1.0 Glory for the big Sparrow battle (1/4 of which is .25)
+ 2 Glory for each Insight rank moved up (1/4 of which is .5)
+.4 Honor for mercy to my enemies and beating pirates
+.5 Glory (1/4 of which is .125) for defeating pirate threat
+.4 Glory for being brave and taking on pirates on their own ship (1/4 of which is .1)
+0.5 Glory (1/4 of which is .125) for completing the finding the enlightened monk quest
 (though really, I didn't have that far to look :P)
+0.2 honor for taking one for the team/delivering an unflattering report to a superior
+0.1 Glory 1/4 of which is .025 for defeating lawbreakers
+0.3 Honor for showing kindness to one beneath his station
-.2 honor for breach of etiquette on 10/18/12
-.5 honor for using a low skill to sneak into barracks
-.2 honor for breach of etiquette on 9/14/12
+.7 Glory as of 8/31/12 (.175 after reduction) 
+.2 honor as of 8/31/12
+.2 honor as of 9/27/11
-.2 honor as of 11/15/11
+6 honor as of 3/1/12
+2 Glory as of 3/1/12, only 1/4 due to disad: ascetic so +.25
Enlightened as of 8/31/12

119 XP awarded as of 10/15/15
118 XP spent
1 XP left unspent

32XP spent raising Air ring to 4 (Reflexes 4/Awareness 4)
3XP raising Investigation to 3
2XP raising Theology to 2
24XP awarded 09/15/15
Chose two more kiho from achieving rank 3.
24XP spent towards raising perception and strength, thus bringing water ring to 3.
3 more Xp award for rescuing the pirate from his own dumb self and showing him the
 (en)LIGHT(enment)5/12/14
12XP awarded for ending pirate threat, +2 more for attempting to save pirate king rear end in a top hat
 from his own hate/vengeance 4/27/14
4XP awarded for beating the pirates on the water 11/12/13
Granted the Great Destiny advantage for plot purposes 7/29/13
5XP awarded for finding the Enlightened Monk 7/29/13
Free disad: Cast Out (temples in Otosan Uichi) thanks to schooling by bitchfiend from the depths of hell
Free raise to Etiquette thanks to schooling by bitchfiend from the depths of hell
Free rank of tea ceremony thanks to schooling by bitchfiend from the depths of hell
24XP spent to raise Agility and Int to 3 (make Fire ring 3 yay)
14XP award 4/12/13
6XP awarded 1/26/13
Infamous disad awarded 10/18/12
5XP awarded 10/18/12
Myr. Myagi kiho awarded 8/31/12
9XP awarded 8/31/12
3XP awarded 3/30/12
10XP awarded 3/1/12
6XP awarded 11/15/11
5XP awarded 9/28/11
buying Void ring to 4 for 24 22XP (-2 due to Enlightened)
buying The Great Silence (Air mastery 4) for 5XP
buying Sincerity to 3 for 6XP

Oracle fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 22, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

Truly resplendent in a kimono of impeccable taste, a powder blue thing adorned with abstract white patterns that suggest birds in flight and waves crashing ashore. It is elaborate, but understated. It doesn’t distract from Doji Inejiro’s gaudy (in her opinion – one she keeps to herself) peacock display but manages to be tastefully striking in his wake. That is her goal anyway.

Her sharp eyes examine the visiting delegation, noting the sandals and attire of her guests - even for traveling clothes, they are unfailingly... Lion. Still, she has an easy smile and a graceful bow for the Lion, and her words have a sing-song cadence not unlike spoken poetry, “It is a great honor to host such guests in our city. I hope you find yourselves most welcome. I hope you find the hospitality without peer. I am Doji Yuri, an honorary Protector of the Court – and more importantly,” The Crane raises her eyes to meet the Lion, smile beaming, “your happy hostess.”

pre:
Name: Doji Yuri
Clan: Crane
Family: Doji  [+1 Awareness]
School Rank: Kakita Bushi 3 [+1 Reflexes]
Insight: 175 (Rank 3)
Honor: 6.8
Glory: 1.1

Techniques:
 Rank 1: The Way of the Crane
	 -- +1k1 and school rank to attack and Focus rolls
	    when in Center stance. 2*Iaijutsu skill rank added
            to Initiative rolls.
 Rank 2: Speed of Lightning
         -- +2k0 to all attack rolls against targets with
            lower initiative.
 Rank 3: First & Last Strike
         -- Strike first in a duel if you win Iaijutsu/Void
            roll by three or more. Free Raise on Strike for 
            each additional margin of 3 instead of 5.

Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Traveling Pack, 10 koku

Air       4
  Awareness    4
  Reflexes     4

Earth     2
  Stamina      2
  Willpower    3

Fire      2
  Agility      3
  Intelligence 2

Water     3
  Perception   3
  Strength     3

Void: 3

Skills
 Artisan: All* 1
 Athletics 1	
 Courtier 4		R3: +3 Insight
 Defense 3		R3: For Full Defense, keep previous Def+Refl rolls
 Etiquette (Courtesy) 3	R3: +3 Insight
 Iaijutsu (Focus) 4	R3: Ready a katana as a Free Action
 Investigation 2
 Kenjutsu (Katana) 3	R3: +1k0 to damage with swords
 Kyujutsu 1
 Lore: Heraldry 1
 Meditation 1
 Sincerity 2
 Tea Ceremony 1
 Temptation 2

Kata
 Breath of Wind Style
  -- Increase Initiative by 2 during Reaction Stage of each combat round.

Advantages: (11)
 Darling of the Court: Toshi Ranbo [2]
     Defied odds by beating Bayushi Sozuka in a very public duel.
     He was an accomplished duelist and yojimbo to Soshi Asano,
     a famously unpopular Scorpion courtier.
 Benten's Blessing [3]		+0k1 on Social rolls to persaude a target
 Dangerous Beauty [3]		
 Soul of Artistry [3]		

Disadvantages: (10)
 Fascination: Fashion [1]
 Rumormonger [4]
 Sworn Enemy: Soshi Asano

===========================
Courtier 1 -> 3		[5]
Etiquette 1 -> 3	[5]
Iaijutus 1 -> 3		[5]
Kenjutsu 1 -> 3		[5]
Sincerity 1 -> 2	[2]
Temptation 0 -> 2	[3]
Agility 2 -> 3	       [12]
Meditation 0 -> 1	[1]
Investigation 0 -> 1	[1]

Spent 40/40 CP

Sworn Enemy: Soshi Asano [-3]
Singing 0 -> 1          [1]
Defense 1 -> 2          [2]
-Overconfidence         [3]
-Insensitive            [2]
Spent  8/27 XP (Oct 2012)

Void 2 -> 3	       [18]
Willpower 2 -> 3       [12]
Perception 2 -> 3      [12]
Strength 2 -> 3        [12]
Awareness 3 -> 4       [16]
Reflexes 3 -> 4        [16]
Game: Sadane 0 -> 1	[1]
Defense 2 -> 3          [3]
Kenjutsu (Katana)	[2]
Iaijutsu 3 -> 4		[4]
Courtier 3 -> 4		[4]
Etiquette: Courtesy	[2]
Investigation 1 -> 2    [2]
Lore: Heraldry 0 -> 1   [1]
Spent 150/150 Allegedly (Oct 2015)

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2015

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

A likely enough vanguard of honor, Hiro reflects. So this was the Doji who defeated the Akodo in honorable single combat? Interesting. Such opulence, he reflects on looking over the grand palace and the ornate robes and decorations the Crane wear. He had only seen such decadent regalia from wealthy peasants before this, eager to remind others that they were pretending to be better than they might be.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 14, 2011

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

With his introduction finished, Taji steps back behind his betters. He watches the Crane's formation of pikemen with interest, noting their ceremonial discipline. Taji was sure that the Akodo would have something to say about their rival's men once they were out of ear shot - but say what they will, these were the troops who had proven up to the task of breaking a Lion siege.

Taji would have to be sure that the others treated them with the respect their formidable skills deserved.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

After giving his introduction, Takao stands, his back straight as steel. Let no one say he brought shame to the Akodo name. He stares at the ceremonial pikemen and thinks that the Crane clan is misnamed. Maybe "Peacock" would be a better name for them. He scolds himself for such thoughts. Didn't the Legacy warn against underestimating the enemy? And, treaty or not, could there be any doubt he was in the enemy camp? Takao vows to be less frivolous in the future, especially while on this mission.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

He noted the steel hidden in the flower, for all of their elegant designs they still had pike men and at least two notable soldiers there... perhaps a show of force or to guard us from outside threats. He listened to the poetic speech of their hostess "It is an honor to be under your care Yuri-san" he said in a tone much more tempered, like the firm cadence of a herald. Against her sharpness he was trying to be smooth and relaxed, there was no use exacerbating anything at the moment, so he was comfortable to stand dignified, paying her steely gaze no real mind.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
The six remaining bushi of the Lion delegation introduce themselves (it goes without saying that the servants accompanying them do not), and with a nod from the Governor, Daidoji Eizo signals his Pikemen to clear the road in order to allow the Lion to pass. The Governor leads them all within the outer walls of the castle, stopping briefly to allow the Matsu to reach his side, and then continuing at a slower pace to accommodate the other's awkward gait (likely the result of a war injury not completely healed). Ahead they see the magnificent spire of the Doji's fortress rising several stories above the inner walls, which are themselves a full 25 feet tall. Atop these walls can be seen a number of figures dressed in court finery gazing down upon the procession--mostly Crane, of course, but a smattering of other colors indicate representatives of other clans as well: the bright red is likely a Phoenix; she appears to be sharing words with a green-clad figure (a Dragon? an Otomo?), while the pair of black-clad samurai standing apart from the others are probably Scorpion. Rather abruptly, the procession turns and loses sight of the group atop the walls, and it is here that the servants take charge of the animals and lead them to the stables to be fed and rested.

As they cross a bridge soaring over the Imperial Highway--one of five such impressive feats of aesthetics and engineering within the castle--they can see that the castle is actually comprised of several distinct quarters, each separated from the others and from the Highway by thick walls. Inejiro conversationally describes the layout of his city to the Matsu, his voice carrying enough for all to overhear. The Highway bisects the castle; to the north is the Visitor's Quarter, which they are now entering and where the delegation will be sheltered in one of the Governor's own residences. On the same side of the Highway is the armory and storehouses, while on the south side of the Highway are the majority of the barracks and the parade ground, as well as the Doji's fortress. From their vantage point at the apex of the bridge, they can see the smoke rising from the smithy a few hundred yards to the east, and they can hear the rhythmic clanging of the smith's hammer rising above the occasional shouts of the soldiers engaging in maneuvers on the parade ground and the general din of servants and samurai going about their business throughout the castle. To the south and east, beyond the fortress, beyond the castle's outer walls, and beyond a small lake, lies the city of Toshi Ranbo itself. Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of war, many of the buildings that had been sacked and burned not five months ago were already rebuilt, though significant empty space remains where new construction has yet to replace the missing structures. The Crane are nothing if not fastidious, however--not a single burned beam or pile of rubble can be seen, a sure testament to their resilience in the face of brutal chaos.

"Be welcome here in my humble abode, Lion-sans. Rest and take your refreshment. The Festival to Preserve Peace and Honor the Noble Fallen shall begin at mid-day tomorrow. May the blessings of the Kami and the Fortunes be upon you all until then." With that, the Doji and his entourage leave their guests at their temporary residence. The estate is sufficiently staffed with solicitous servants, while a group of armed Pikemen are stationed at seemingly random points throughout the grounds. The majordomo of the estate shows each of them to his own room, every one accoutred with several shoji screens, a futon and bedding, a cherry-wood daisho stand, a writing desk with implements, and newly-made silk kimonos ("In Lion colors, of course--for when Lion-sama attends upon Doji-sama in his Court.") His duties complete, he bows and takes his leave as well.

Before releasing them, Matsu Munemori briefly calls his five Akodo guards together. "Everything seems quite pleasant thus far, no? Nevertheless, one of you will be assigned to duty--armed and in armor--at this estate at all times, even during the activities of the Festival. If you have any concerns or observe anything of alarming nature, do not hesitate to speak to me. Doji-sama seems sincere in his desire to promote peace, but remember that he was our bitter enemy barely two seasons ago. Now, who shall be the one to remain on duty for the time being?"

Just before the two Shadows select adjacent rooms, Kitsu Gojiro steps from his quarters and beckons them to enter. Sliding the door closed, he turns to them. "You two seem to me to be the cleverest of this whole bunch. I expect there will be much to learn from the court of Doji-sama during our time here, but I wonder, what have you been able to observe thus far? As I am old and nearly blind, I must rely on the eyes of others to show me what my sight has missed."

When Ikoma Shinakio enters his room, the first thing he notices is the fragrance, subtle yet unmistakable. Then he sees her. Rising from the writing desk, tears brimming in her eyes, is his beloved wife, Doji Hinamori. "Oh, my husband. You have finally arrived. I feared--oh, Doji-sama is a most gracious host, and his Court too. But they do not all have kind words for you and yours. But tell me, what has been your lot these last few months? Was Winter Court in Kyuden Ikoma all you expected it to be? And what is the nature of your duty that has brought you here to me?"

As Doji Inejiro and his followers cross the bridge back to the fortress, he catches the eye of Brother Kyo, and lets the others pass while they remain to look out over the castle and the occasional passerby below them. "I thank you and your Order again for serving me in this tense and uncertain time. I shall be petitioning my ancestors for guidance throughout this evening, and I would be honored if you would join your prayers with mine. As well, I would seek your wisdom on those I face across the divide of Clan and loyalty. What say you? Shall I instruct mine servants to be firm and fierce in our interactions with them, as is their nature, or gentle and accommodating, as is ours?"

When Doji Inejiro pauses, so too does the Daidoji, though he remains at a respectful distance to allow his charge a private conversation. Meanwhile, he spies the Kitsuki bringing up the rear of the group, and he gives the slightest of bows to him in respect. "Doji-sama has spoken often of his service with your father. If you are half as perceptive as Doji-sama claims that man was, you will serve us well." He pauses briefly to consider his words, before fairly hissing, "I do not trust these Lions within our walls. I suspect that their delegation is interested in more than peace. If you have noticed, or do notice in the future, anything untoward with respect to any them, I ask that you seek me out immediately. I would not have our hard-won safety jeopardized by Doji-sama's too-trusting nature. You might fear that I am over-reacting, but my sworn service to Heaven is to protect my master in all things--even from himself. Do I have your assistance in this matter?"

As Doji Yuri returns to the fortress, she spies Shiba Uguisu beaming down from the walls toward her. As she waves to her bosom companion, she is surprised to find Asahina Kazui at her elbow. Gracefully taking her hand, he escorts her into the inner courtyard. "A most impressive display of martial prowess, was it not?" he chuckles. "A doddering, half-blind shugenja and a lame taisa with barely a squad of men. And yet, something about them intrigues me. I cannot quite place my finger upon it just now, but that is not surprising. You were quite beguiling yourself, and I confess myself distracted from the mewlings of Matsu Someone and Ikoma Someone-Else. Tell me, what do you think of our honored guests? Are they a match for an Emerald-Magistrate-turned-Goveror and his faithful Diviner of Secrets? Or will their foray into the Courts of the Crane become their undoing, as it has so many times in the past?"

Feel free to take these conversation-starters and run with them. Unless anyone has a specific agenda, after these exchanges the next post will skip to tomorrow and the Opening of the Festival.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 14, 2011

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He attends the lord with all due respect, bowing and accompanying him, looking down at the view and saying nothing as the man speaks. "It is our duty and my pleasure, Doji Inejiro-sama, to serve the cause of peace. I would pray with you."

He pauses a moment upon the last question, then replies, "It is said of the Lion that every dojo contains a copy of the Tao, and yet none of them has read a page of it. This is how the Lion understand duty. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. They are as children in their understanding. And as children, the best way of teaching is by example. 'The softest thing in the universe overcomes the hardest thing in the universe. That without substance can enter where there is no room.'" He bows low to the older man. "So the yielding water wears away unyielding stone. Be as water, Doji Inejiro-sama. Lead by example."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kitsuki Ryoma

Ryoma returns a light bow.

"Thank you for your kind words, Daidoji-sama." Ryoma steps towards Daidoji and lowers his voice accordingly, "Daidoji-sama, I have been sent here to aid Doji-sama as an agent of peace. I feel that both Crane and Lion both are still on edge after this initial, and briefest of meetings, so any hints of ulterior motive that may have been gleaned could and are likely products of that tension. After all, It was not long ago that they were engulfed in battle. That said, I will of course report and seek out counsel if and when I spy something...troubling."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao steps forward. "Please, Munemori-sama, allow me to take the first watch. Don't worry, sir. If the Cranes are planning anything, I'll find it." In his heart, he knew they were. "Only my death will allow them to get past me."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

He embraced her, smiling truly for the first time in the day. "Dry those tears Hinamori, as I swore to you on our wedding night I will be here to tell you every story I find... Nothing can keep me from that duty" He spoke as he visibly relaxed, shrugging off the poising of duty "I will match their ill will with my honorable words and wit" he said with an almost playful grin "The Court was as expected... sadly, there was no dark undertones or great story hiding under it's calm exterior, just duty and diplomacy, I fear everything interesting is happening in this city and I wont have time for it all... and my duty is as a diplomat, nothing more nothing less, they figure that my connection to you will ingratiate me, if they have any ill intentions I will not have to bare them"

However he shook his head, taking off the more ceremonial outer garments, leaving himself in simple clothing "There will be time for business later, how has the winter court treated you move love, we can relax and enjoy our company, I have new stories to tell you as you fall asleep"

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

Out of the presence of their guests, and joined so swiftly by the Diviner, Yuri can’t help but giggle at the shameless flattery paid her, “Please. When we best them in battle and they conquer our court, then our mon will bear a mane and all the Winter fashions will come from Kyuden Ikoma.”

“If you are intrigued, Kazui-sama, then I suggest it is only the uncertainty – a Lion loves his pride.” The pun was most definitely intentional. “Every Crane standard they see is a wound against it. We can count on how rational men may act – but I saw enough clenched jaws and gritted teeth to worry that this Festival might drive at least one of them to do something silly. Maybe that is what concerns you?” She walks beside him, pleased to have antagonistic guests to gossip about. “Unless Kazui-sama has heard something otherwise?” Her voice raises, curiosity piqued. Yuri could hardly resist fishing for just whatever it was the Diviner’s social circle had talked of lately.

“Of course, that makes one wonder what they hope to accomplish here. Any Lion would rather pull his eye-teeth out than set foot in a triumphant and preening Crane’s court. So what do you suppose they want? Or could this Matsu Munemori be the rare Lion who sincerely sues for peace?” And it would figure that Matsu men would be the peacemakers of the Clan, she supposes. They'd have to be.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"It would be an honor to be the eyes for one so blessed as to have them shut to the glare of dishonor that so reflects from the world," Hiro replies. His voice was smiling, at least. "Perhaps you could act as our ears, for as age has taken your eyes I fear youth has taken my ears. I do not hear all that I should. Yet here I see the Crane are excellent hosts, and more than that wish to be seen as excellent host. They are fond of their comforts and decoration but do not appear the softer for it. Perhaps steel that is tempered in silk must stay sharper than that which knows only fire and the forge."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Ikoma Taji

How much does he know us - our training, and our mission? Taji thinks, as he considers his answer to the Kitsu. He is old, and has seen much - and is a highly placed official in the Clan. Perhaps he is simply too courteous to say that we are honor-less dogs. Hiro was warm and friendly to the man, but did not answer his question. Taji was not so sure that was the best strategy, this Kitsu seemed sharper than his wizened appearance and monkish manners would let on.

"I think that this is much a warning as a message of peace, Kitsu-sama." Taji thinks of their brief trip through the city. "The constant presence of soldiers in the normally peaceful crane lands, the rebuilding, the freshly constructed gates, the forges stoked red hot - all are to show that the children of Lady Doji are preparing for our kinsmen, if we seek to break the peace. The Doji are far too polite to say so in Court, but they are warning us clearly. 'You Lion were unable to break the walls of Toshi Ranbo two seasons ago. How will you manage the feat now, that we are ready for you?'"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

As Takao waits for Matsu Munemori's answer, he ponders to himself about the Tsume Pikeman scattered throughout the estate to which the Lion delegation has been assigned. "Either they are here to carry out some devious purpose and strike against us or there are here for our protection. If the former, we must be on guard. If the latter, it is either to insult us by saying that I and the rest of the guards are not enough to protect the ambassadors, or because they know of some sort of concentrated plot big enough that they suspect that the guard force we have really ISN'T big enough to protect the ambassadors. Whichever the answer is, we need to be extra vigilant."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

"A warning to what?" Hiro asks with genuine curiosity. "That they would hide behind these walls once more, or perhaps they seek to bait us into another duel we are ill suited to winning?" He shakes his head. "You know well enough the truth there. There is a little lower layer to this matter. To dismiss it as a mere show of teeth is to commit your forces without a reserve. Today we begin a different manner of siege of these walls. It is one the Crane know they can not lose. That is their error." He gestures to the decadent palace, taking it all in. "This? That is not our way." He taps his forehead. "This is my way."

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Munemori responds with an approving, though solemn, nod to Takao. “Certainly, Takao-san; you shall have the first watch. You shall be relieved at midnight, once one of your fellows is sufficiently rested.”
Takao's shift passes uneventfully. He occasionally glimpses one of the Pikemen who nod to the Akodo as he passes, and follow him with their eyes even as their feet remain firmly rooted to their assigned place. Beyond that, his only companion is the incessant pounding of the smith's hammer. By the time it is his turn for rest, he has become so accustomed to the sound that it even provides a soothing rhythm to cradle his tired mind and body as he drifts off...
At Brother Kyo's reassuring words, Doji Inejiro exhales deeply, as if a significant weight has been lifted from his shoulders. “Thank you, my brother. Come, let us retire to my shrine for contemplation and devotion to those who now reside in Blessed Yomi.”
Kazui is significantly more playful in the tone he takes with his companion. “Why Yuri-san, I do believe you will make a masterful addition to the Court yet. I myself know naught of any significance about the Lion commander, save that Munemori-san was but a gunso when last he stood outside the walls of Toshi Ranbo. Perhaps the Lion’s losses were more significant than we had believed, if Akodo Toturi is offering promotions to every common bushi who returned intact (well, mostly intact) from the siege.”
As they stroll along the meandering stream wending its way through the grounds of the fortress, the cranes, peackocks, and other birds noisily part from their path. “I also know that there is the curious matter of Doji Hinamori, newly married to Ikoma Shinakio. Their joining has already made for some interesting sport among the inveterate gossips in the Court, such as Uguisu-chan. But Doji-sama seems to think that the Ikoma’s soft heart for his bride will help our cause. We shall see if this is so. But now I fear I must leave you, for I have duties to which I must attend.” Bowing lower than he had to any of the Lion, Kazui takes his leave of Doji Yuri.
When she seeks to call upon Shiba Uguisu later that evening for her lessons, Yuri finds a lone servant tidying up the woman's quarters, who explains to Yuri that Shiba-sama is, unfortunately, indisposed, and regrets that she will be unable to tutor her this evening.
The next morning brings a cold rain, and the servants scurry back and forth with umbrellas, seeking (mostly in vain) to shield the samurai and their finery from a soggy fate. Fortunately, the location chosen for the Opening Ceremony of the Festival is indoors--or at least, beneath a roof. The members of the Lion Delegation (including Akodo Takao, who is now off-duty) are led by none other than Doji Yuri up numerous flights of stairs within the fortress. Starting at the Floor of Paper and Ink, where numerous scribes and functionaries flit about amidst the raucous cries of innumerable waterfowl and songbirds, they ascend past the Floor of Skilled Artistry, the Floor of Honorable Bushi, the Floor of Tranquil Study, and the Floor of the Doji, all the way to the Floor of Splendid Viewing, which (despite the weather) most certainly lives up to its appellation. The roof above is supported only by a dozen pillars around the edge of the single room, each brandishing a banner of the Crane, or the Doji, or their vassals the Tsume, (in)famous for their dojo that exclusively trains Pikemen in anti-cavalry tactics.
The room itself is open to the air on all sides, and the view in every direction is quite splendid--on a clear day, one could easily see a hundred li. The forest through which the group trudged yesterday is visible below, shrouded in an even deeper mist than the rest of Toshi Ranbo’s environs, while the sounds of the town--and again, the ashigaru on maneuvers and the smith at his forge--are greatly muted, though still clearly audible. The room contains a handful of low tables, and is connected to outer balconies by a series of small bridges that cross a channel in the floor where an actual stream filled with koi continuously circulates around the perimeter of the room--a simple yet impressive feat of the water kami, no doubt.

When the Lion arrive, the Doji is already present, as is his Court, comprised of a dozen or so other Crane, the Phoenix, the Scorpion, and the Otomo that were seen from afar yesterday. A few small children crouch on one of the bridges staring and giggling down at the fishes, but they immediately cease their play when the Lion make their appearance. Once all the guests are directed to their appropriate places by the servants, Doji Inejiro speaks, words flowing like honey from his tongue.

“We gather, representatives of many different sons and daughters of the Kami. Most significantly, our brothers the Lion join us not as opponents in battle nor enemies in court, but as friends. During the Festival, we will share much joy in the fostering of continued peace, even as we share much sorrow in the loss of life during the dark night which preceded this new dawn of understanding and cooperation. There will be time for all this and more, but for now, the most salutary bonds of brotherhood shall be deepened with a communal repast. While it may pale in comparison to the finest fare one may find in Otosan Uchi,” with this Inejiro gestures towards the representative of the Imperial families gracing his court, who responds with a nod of recognition, “yet I hope that such humble fare will nevertheless satisfy the longings of our bodies, even as the companionship and mutual edification of our discourse feeds our souls. And so, let us begin the Festival to Preserve Peace and Honor the Noble Fallen!”

At these last words, a flight of doves erupts from behind Inejiro, circling the room and fluttering between the pillars before flying off en masse toward the east. The guests recline at table and the servants spring into action, serving course after course. The first brought out are baskets of persimmons, plums, and bitter oranges--the latter of which, fortunately, all recognize as merely decorative, and no one commits the faux pas of trying to peel one and eat. Next comes the rice and dumplings, followed by a course of eel stuffed in several enormous swordfish ("Oh my," crows the Otomo, "imported all the way from the Islands of Spice and Silk!"), and then an assortment of game birds and fowl (“Caught by Doji-sama’s most talented falconers,” brag the servants), all interspersed with as much tea and sake as is desired.
Between the courses, Shiba Uguisu rises from her place at the Doji’s table and selects from an assortment of instruments arrayed at the foot of one of the banners. While the servants work, she plays a variety of melodies, first on the biwa, then the samisen, then the flute. Some melodies are playful, some are haunting, but all are beautiful. During all of this the rain slowly abates, and once it is reduced to the barest sprinkling, the day begins to lighten, though the sun does not yet appear in all its radiant glory.

When the final course is cleared, a whisper goes around the room as a dozen servants each bring forth a single small sake bottle, pure white porcelain with one stylized cherry blossom emblazoned on the side. As the excited babble dies down and the servants carefully pour each guest a single cup of the legendary Cherry Blossom Snow sake, Inejiro rises once again.

“As the winter snow washes away the remains of the year’s fallen leaves and gleaned fields, may the cup we share wash away all hints of bitterness and pain at our collective mistakes and losses. And now, you have heard enough of the voice of the Crane, I think. For the sake of those we honor in life, and in death, I ask Ikoma-san to share a few words from the mouth of the Lion to mark this most auspicious occasion.”

Time for the Bard to earn his keep. Others are free to respond to what has already transpired, or to the no doubt flawless performance to come, either publicly or in whispered conversations behind fans, as you see fit.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 15, 2011

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma Shinakio

The rain did little to dampen his mood, he had been with his love and that was all that mattered. He followed, looking over the beauty before him, once it might have taken his breath away but duty tempered his will and love game him clarity, he had his position to fulfill... there would be time to be human later. First thing he mentally noted down the position of each of the members of the court, even a simple thing as seperating the delegation could be an attempt to leverage an advantage. He listened intently to the conversation around them, eating his food slowly as he tried to listen for a glimpse behind any of the masks. When it came time for him to speak he managed to hide his brief surprise, after all he had no time to prepare and was not warned... well that was the point it seemed. He stood up and cleared his throat "It would of course be an honor Doji-sama" he said as he changed his tone, putting on a much deeper more resonant voice.

"The lion was lord of the plains, his might allowed him dominion of all around him. So he decided to claim more in his name, heading farther from his lands. It was there that he met the crane who had made her land in the marshes, away from the predators of the land. They talked for hours, the lion never able to get the crane to give up her lands, his pride met with eloquence. So the lion struck first, his might driving the crane back as he splashed through the water, his power able to drive the crane back time and time again. The crane however danced around each blow, able to constantly stay out of the lion's reach, tiring the cat until he had to return home his land unclaimed. It was many days later when the lion heard the crane's cries, for a darkness had swept over the land and a foul beast was chasing the crane, harrying him without pause or reason. The lion could not stand this, charging down and striking at the beast with his claws and teeth, with the foul creature slain, the crain asked the lion "Why did you save me, you fought me not a week ago?" and the lion replied "The shadow would have done more harm to you than taken your land, It was simply the honorable thing to do". Many days later the shadow tried a different approach, creeping up to the lion and whispering into his ear, striking not with blades but with words... it was then that the crane appeared in the lions den, speaking out against the shadow and matching its lies with truthful words and thus the shadow was again defeated. When the lion asked the crane why, the crane simply responded "It was the honorable thing to do."

This story tells a truth that the empire we are all a part of was forged with steel, it is with steel that we held back the Shadowlands, the Gaijin and those who would turn against the Bushido that gives us purpose. That great generals like Akodo and great warriors like Hida have defended the divine rule of the emperor since the founding of our land. However it is also kept by words and wisdom, by courts such as this that solve our disputes and problems not with bloodshed but with reason. Like the well spoken Lady Doji or the wise Togashi it has been men and women of reason and kind words that have strengthened the clans and let us know our true enemies and true allies. Many have died on either side, like the Kakita Nanako the duelist whose blade flowed like water or Akodo Arasou who fought with valor worthy of his forefather.

All any man can ask is that we honor the dead, not just with words or song but by being all we can, that Warriors fight nobly for honor, that artists make art that will inspire even the most stone hearted that in every part of our lives we honor them with our actions and our lives." he paused for a moment and turned to the lord "My apologies Doji-sama, it would appear I had more than few words on the matter" he said with a warm smile "For those who are no longer with us, and to a brighter tomorrow" he said, waiting to drink in time with the crane lord.

Took me 5 attempts but I finally got it out, that is 6k3 on the Perform Storytelling and 6k3 on any of the big 3 (Court, eti, Sinc) with a specialization and paragon in honesty as he honestly believes they can do better together)
Void pointing the Actual roll so ad 1k1 to it after any specializations or paragons

Also Can I roll something to make the sun come out of the clouds right at the end... would be perfect

Oh and thank you Tycho for letting me play an ikoma... I am a sucker for storytelling

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 16, 2011

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

The night is spent in quiet contemplation as he meditates on the right words to say, the right approach to take to these fierce unwilling visitors. The next morning the sun is greeted with the motions of tai chi and a breakfast of simple rice gruel and cabbage, the monk having foresworn flesh.

He waves off the umbrellas playfully with a smile, mock-scolding those who seek to keep his head dry. "Are you worried I will muss my fine gown, my carefully-arranged hair?" he teases them. "What the Fortunes offer I gladly receive, be it rain or cherries falling on my head. They weep for the fallen of this our most recent battle, and who am I to deny their sorrow? I must comfort all as I can. Even the gods need a shoulder to cry on, now and then."

He takes in the opulence with an outwardly serene expression, though inwardly he feels that perhaps the Crane would do better to worry about how the peasants might fare this coming winter after the battle which tore through their fields. Ah, but such thoughts were unworthy of his generous if vain hosts. They were as they were; and much as he had advised Doji Inejiro, he would just have to lead by example.

~~

The Crane certainly did know how to impress visitors, he reflects amusedly as the doves are unleashed on cue. He helps himself sparingly to the fruit and the rice, then endless cups of tea as he seeks to engage the visiting Lion in conversation, fully expecting most to treat him with suspicion if not dismissive scorn as the disciple of a man whose teachings they had wholly rejected, or would have save for the Emperor's decree. Duty bound the Lion hand and foot, and it was likely through an appeal to that Duty that peace would be restored between these two Clans, he decides as the meal wends on.

He sits quietly and listens with appreciation as the Ikoma spins his tale, finding it a bit obvious, though perhaps that was more due to time spent with the oh-so subtle Crane than any lack of ability on the Ikoma's part. He certainly has a way with delivery, at any rate, and the toast is one he can heartily agree with, as many ways as it could be read he chooses the most optimistic one.

"May the light of peace illuminate us all," he adds, raising his cup of tea.

Just chatting with the various Lion NPCs for the nonce, getting a feel for them, drawing them out on their opinions on the place, their host, the journey, whatever, just get them talking. Awareness 3, Courtier 3, Etiquette 3 to avoid giving inadvertent offense.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 16, 2011

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao endures the tour in silence. The hammering of the smith both night and day as well as the drilling of the ashigaru, even in the rain, proves to him that while the Crane talk of peace, they're still preparing for war. In a way, Takao admires this, because it shows that the Crane, for all their treachery, remember Akodo One-Eye's maxim that "War is inevitable, like a spring fog", and what greater honor is it than to know that even one's enemies understand one's wisdom. But still, it is something to regret, because it means that when the war comes, the Crane will be more prepared than they otherwise would. The only consolation is that he knows that similar actions are taking place in the Castle of the Swift Sword and Persimmon City. As for the rain. . .well, rain is to be endured.

The meal is very good, but then Crane meals tend to be good. The Crane tend to value filling their bellies, and going all the way to the Islands of Spice and Silk just to get a fish, when there are plenty of fish in the rivers and streams nearby is the sort of thing that appeals to them. The sake is also very good, but Takao, other than a cup for politeness sake, doesn't indulge. There are times to drink sake, and in a Crane fortress, seated at a table surrounded by Cranes, and Scorpions, not to mention an Otomo from the Imperial Court, is not one of those times. So, he eats and drinks sparingly, listening to the Shintaoist monk near him chatter on.

Then the meal. It's with no great surprise that he hears Doji Inejiro's request that the Ikoma Bard perform. "The bastard planned it this way", he thinks. "He has the best of his performers perform throughout the meal, and then at the end, calls on the Ikoma, knowing he's full of food and alcohol and had no time to prepare. That way he can show all the other guests the difference between Crane "sophistication" and Lion "crudity". But, however the other guests take the Ikoma's performance, to Takao, it's magnificent, and surpasses all the other performances the way the sun surpasses the moon. It also serves as a good reminder that, as terrible as the Crane is, the Shadow is worse.

Using Ivest/Perception to observe the other guests, 5k3

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 16, 2011

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

Ryoma sits in his quarters, writing down in his pillow book whichever thoughts come to him before sleep, as he tries to do nightly.

"Clearly it is not only the Lions feel wary in regards to this Festival" Ryoma says to himself. "As the Lions feel suspicion from the Crane, so to do the Crane to the Lion."

Ryoma remembers his conversation with Daidoji-sama and stops writing, lest he accidentally write down thoughts that might prove harmful if read by others.

"It was interesting, to say the least. Though, hopefully Daidoji-sama didn't catch the subtleties in my words, or if he did that he might think little of it."

His mind wanders from the subject, Ryoma writes another observation or too about the city before drifting to sleep.

---

The next day is the opening of the Festival, thusly a great meal had been prepared. It is an event of such scale that Ryoma rarely, if ever, gets to see back in the Dragon lands. Foods that he has only heard of from travelers were now spread before him and the other guests. It is quite a sight, and Ryoma is quite pleased to be present. While he eats, Ryoma talks to those around him. In part he speaks to them just out of the pure joy of conversation, but he also uses the skills of the Kitsuki to try to delicately get the opinion of the other guests in regards to the Festival's political implications, as well as any possibly pertinent rumors.

Eventually Doji-sama begins to speak, after which Ikoma-san is called upon to say a few words. He is obviously caught off-guard, but he recovers quite nicely, in Ryoma's opinion, by telling a short fable. At the end of the tale Ryoma chuckles and turns to comment to his neighbor.

"Heh. If only man could always hold as fast to their honor."

Trying to get any interesting opinions, thoughts, or rumors from fellow guests at the meal. Courtier 3: 6k3

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Hiro's first day at the strange castle is largely spent by himself in what is both an effort to clear his mind and a demonstration of the relentless training of the Akodo. Meditation mixed with sword drill and the endless motions of the dance that is a lifetime of battle. He makes note of those who watch him, trying his best to not let on. Small things, small things. The tallest wall is made from individual stones, he remembers the lesson. Each has been placed according to its need and sealed in with mortar to join to the others in fullness. The wall was greater than the stones, but that was all it was in the end.

At the meal, Hiro behaves as might be expected. Such rich dishes, he had heard storied but this was too much. The lesson here was another simple one, the Crane can reach far and take what they desire. It sounded to him as if they had picked well in their selection of Ikoma. The little parable was not a bad one at all; he wondered what the Crane would think of it. Indeed the Ikoma performances could be an acquired taste, and it was a taste Hiro himself had never developed. Nothing but discipline and restraint in the dojo, in the taking of a measure of a man, in the relentless nagging of his grandfather had made him favor more austere disciplines. Still, it could hardly be considered an ambush. Of course they would be expected to speak, Hiro himself had a few words prepared. A warrior goes to battle knowing he has won, the defeated go to battle looking for paths to victory.

"Well said, Cousin," he says raising his glass. His voice was fair enough, and loud enough to carry. They had watched the Crane place their tiles. It was time to move.

Waiting for the response to do something more elaborate, but right now Investigation (Notice)/Awareness to read the general responses and pick a target to work for the evening. 5k3

EDIT: Could be Awareness/Ett, too, as a function of the Courtesy focus. 5k3 in that case.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 16, 2011

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Doji Yuri

The Floor of Splendid Viewing is her favorite place in the whole city – a fact she doesn’t neglect to point out to her Lion guests as she leads them on, explaining the architecture and artistry of the place with no small amount of pride. When settled, she remains seated just at the wing of the Lion delegation’s table, on the side closest to her brother and sister Crane. She had taken it upon herself to stay close to the Akodo, and speak with them as often as she could. Whatever their actions were today, it would be the talk of the Crane court, and she wanted a first-hand account of that.

The Governor’s doves serve a nice punctuation, though again, a little ostentatious for Yuri’s taste – her lord’s sense of subtlety could do with some refinement if anyone asked her. (They didn’t.)

Her attention is much more focused when Shiba-san’s performance takes center stage. Yuri’s sharp eyes watch her tutor’s fingers, the bend of her elbow and her posture – only ever leaving to occasionally survey the reactions of the audience. When Uguisu is finished, Yuri’s fan unfolds (decorated in an artistic rendition of clouds not unlike those clinging to the city outside), and she offers her own praise of the performance, explaining Uguisu’s pedigree and skill to those sitting next to her.

The Ikoma’s performance draws similar focus – though this time because she knows that every word of it will be picked over and interpreted afterwards. Courtiers were always eager to grant maybe too much depth to a storyteller’s words, or happy to add a controversial twist to a benign tale. The story is a sensible one, a parable about the emblems of either Clan ultimately needing one another. Admittedly, that is something Yuri engages in as well. An eyebrow does raise when the Ikoma at least fesses up to the Lion’s initial aggression – a humble concession here in the Crane’s court. Of course, the implication that the Crane and Lion may only tolerate each other slightly more than the Shadow is an unfortunate one. That will be a popular angle, no doubt.

Behind her fan, she murmurs to the Lion beside her, “He has a strong voice – do the Ikoma train for that? Or is their instruction strictly in content and narrative, and his tone merely a talent? I know both the Kakita dueling school and Uguisu-san’s lessons place high value on controlling one’s breath.”

Angling herself with the Lion and attempting to charm my way into the good graces of whatever poor soul was unlucky enough to sit next to her!
I figure that would be a Courtier 3 + Awareness 3 roll, but I’m honestly not certain.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Stormgale, in addition to offering a legitimately good story, you rolled quite well:
% python l5roll.py 6 3 0 1 0
> Rolling 6 dice and Keeping 3 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 17, Kept 11, Kept 8; Total for Storytelling is 36.
[I’m giving you two raises for your subsequent Courtier roll based on your Technique, but in the future please specify how many raises you’re attempting ahead of time.]
% python l5roll.py 7 5 10 1 0
> Rolling 7 dice and Keeping 5 dice--dice can Explode, Emphasis does not apply: Kept 8, Kept 8, Kept 7, Kept 6, Kept 3, Static Bonus is 10; Total for Courtier is 42.

For a straightforward parable and a rousing call to mutual cooperation, Shinakio’s story is incredibly well received by practically everyone in attendance--several of the Lion, who are admittedly not the most neutral of observers, roar their approval. Meanwhile, the high-ranking Crane, genuinely relieved to hear official support for their efforts toward peace, offer a more tempered but no less sincere applause. All the others seem to approve of the stirring speech as well; even the normally inscrutable Scorpion’s eyebrows can be seen rising above the edges of his mask of swirling grey fabric--a subtle sign of grudging appreciation, if anything. In fact, it appears as if Shinakio’s words have even impelled another of the Crane courtiers to rise to his feet in response...

As Brother Kyo engages the other Lion at his table, he finds conversation with the Matsu, while not hostile, at least forced. He seems to find a kindred spirit in the Kitsu however, though the man’s intense gaze and his tendency not to blink for long periods of time gives Kyo the unnerving feeling that he can see into the very recesses of his soul, despite his near-blindness. Nevertheless, the conversation is engaging as they discuss the relative roles of ancestors vs. fortunes in the lives of mortal man. Among the priest’s more intriguing views is his unorthodox stance on the connectivity between the various Spirit Realms, and the thoughts and actions they consequently inspire in those most sensitive to their influence. “Certainly man may try to exemplify the virtues embodied in the Fortunes by his own effort, but even the most devout of us may not always feel in control of ourselves--whether for good or ill.”

Yuri is enraptured by the Shiba’s performances, seeking to learn as much as she can from the Artisan’s renditions of various classic works on a myriad of instruments. While her playing is flawless and expressive, Yuri also notes that the Shiba only occasionally glances to the assembly, and most often her gaze rests on the trio of the Governor, his yojimbo, and his shugenja.
Matsu Munemori is a pleasant enough conversationalist. While he is not particularly musically inclined, nor one to gossip about the various members of either the Crane court or his delegation, he attempts valiantly to keep up with Yuri’s chatter. She has no problem making a positive impression on the Matsu--at least, if his inability to take his eyes off her is any indication. So strong is her impression upon him, in fact, that just before his Ikoma rises to speak, he implores Yuri to join him for a game of Go after the conclusion of the festivities this evening.

Ryoma’s discussions with the other notable guests yield all manner insight into the character of each of them. The Otomo seems professionally disinterested in the speeches, though is obviously enamored of the rich food, while the Shiba barely has time to eat a few bites between her performances, so devoted is she to her craft. The Doji acts entirely in character, chatting often with his yojimbo, his Diviner, and his Imperial guest, while applauding appropriately after every round of the Shiba’s performances. On the other hand, the Daidoji seems almost sullen beneath his wariness. His only joy during the entire meal comes when one of the small children escapes from her minder long enough to approach him, and he carries on an affectionate conversation with the girl, Yumi-chan, until she is corralled by the embarrassed servants and returned to her playmates. Another random courtier--a man named Asahina Hitaki--offers a steady stream of pointed commentary on the other guests: their outdated fashion sense, their lack of sophisticated table manners, and so on. He is clearly insecure and feels overshadowed in his apparently minimal role in the court.

Takao’s piercing gaze sweeps over the assembly, taking in a great many details. The Soshi courtier seems bored by the entire proceedings, and is constantly gazing off at the surrounding landscape. The Daidoji--the only one present who is armed--eats sparingly and is always looking about, much like Takao himself. In fact, on the occasions when their eyes meet, Eizo does not look away, as if even this slight interaction from across the room has immediately escalated to a personal challenge. Only when his lord addresses him directly does he break off his gaze from the Akodo to respond to the man. Another of the Crane courtiers--an Asahina by his mon--makes an elaborate show of disapproval at the Ikoma’s stirring speech, rolling his eyes and fiddling impatiently with his sake cup, as if he needed the fortitude offered by its contents in order to stomach the Bard’s words.

Hiro likewise scans the room, attempting to discover which members of the court may be useful allies and which may be foes hostile to their interests. But the rich meal settling in his stomach and the buzz of inane chatter coupled with the constant dripping of the rain lead his thoughts down strange and fruitless paths. He comes out of his reverie only when one of the other Crane courtiers stands in response to the Ikoma’s impassioned speech.

“A most impressive display, Ikoma-san. Truly worthy of being recorded in the annals of the speeches of the Empire’s most illustrious orators. Yet the Lion are not often known for their eloquent tongues, so please enlighten this august assembly, if you would: along with this new-found refinement, have the Right Hand of the Emperor also imported other novelties such as, oh I don’t know, chopsticks?”

A sharp intake of breath is audible from a number of the courtiers. The Doji frowns and carefully sets down his sake cup, the kind words he had been about to offer dying on his lips. Even the jaded Scorpion tears his gaze away from the far-off trees, focusing for the first time today on the impertinent Asahina, before narrowing his eyes ever so slightly as he shifts his attention to the Ikoma.

Things were about to get interesting.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao puts his fan up to his face so that no one else can see his expression, and stares at the Asahina, remembering the face of the man he vows to someday kill.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ikoma

He let the air hang still for a moment, letting his mask hide his working brain attempting to decide the best course of action. He subtly rested a hand on the shoulder of the lion next to him, ensuring they would not rise to the insult.... and he laughed, a soft light chuckle that turned for a moment (after all he was still in court) to a roaring laugh. "Doji-sama did not tell me of your humor Asahina-san" he said with a brief smile "At least it shows that the crane are not to dignified for a good jest". He shifted "Though perhaps he did not know, I am sure Doji-sama could reward you for your humor int time" he spoke pointedly... it would be unseemly for the lion to strike back against a courtier who spoke so dishonorably, but both the lion and the crane could save face by the problem being dealt with in house. He stepped forward, raising his cup "But for now let us drink in friendship" he said, letting the combined eyes of the Crane's lord and the court stay his errant tongue. The crane matched the steel of the lion this year, perhaps it was time the lion matched the court of the crane.

Not enough time for storytime sadly, you know my skills... pretty much brushing off his jest and ignoring his insult like a proper samurai, letting the crane know they can deal with their own dishonor
Oh yeah and cause this is a BIG deal, spending my other void point on this bitch

Also Regarding MY free raises, what is the TN of the storytelling roll? It's hard to know how many raises to call when I dont know the difficulty of the roll

For now Calling 2 Raises

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 18, 2011

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

Time to move, the Ikoma had been outflanked. His stammering response was proof enough. To disgrace himself was one thing, to allow an insult to the Lion go unchecked is quite another. This was another test, sure enough. He would respond. Hiro's voice is calm, cheerful even. "Nonsense, cousin Shinakio-san," he replies as his eyes fall on the Asahina. "Asahina-sama wonders what is carried in the Right Hand of the Emperor. It is as in your story, once again. The Crane teach the Lion the use of chopsticks, while the Lion must teach the Crane what the sword is for."

He sets down his sake cup, smiling while he picks up the chopsticks. It is as Tangen wrote in Lies, do not insult directly. The words of another are sufficient. "As Asahina-sensei teaches," he waggles the chopsticks. "This is not our way." It was the second time in as many days that he had made that joke, but it was favorite. He lets the chopsticks go, quietly clattering to the table.

That should be enough, Hiro considers. Both honor and notice are served, no man is directly laid bare, and the insult is implied but known to all with ears to hear. Just as he was taught, for books are not feared in the the dojos Hiro was raised in and both the Tao and Lies were known to him as well as Leadership. Battles were not won without knowing the mind of the enemy.

Using my class ability to zoom focus on the Asahina. Not sure about numbars, will bug you in a bit on that.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 17, 2011

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brother Kyo

He thinks the evening is going rather well -- better than he expected, to be truthful. The strange Kitsu man with little in the way of eyes sees all too true, and after politely exchanging a few more words with him, he directs his conversation elsewhere.

Then the Asahina stands and speaks his grave insult, and Kyo smiles, shaking his head. The Ikoma attempts to smooth the waters, only to have his brother toss a stone. Standing, Brother Kyo clears his throat noisily.

"FOUR LEARNED MEN," he begins in a loud voice, waiting for the murmuring to cease before continuing. With a bow, he goes on.

"Four learned men, speaking amongst themselves, said 'Of what use is our accomplishment and learning, if we do not seek the employment of a wise and great king?' And so they set off for the Imperial city. Now three of these men were incredibly brilliant, but the fourth, while learned, but stood in their shadow, yet he made up for this comparative lack with wisdom."

He looks at the Asahina that spoke so brashly as he continues. "Upon the road they passed the skeleton of a lion, and the first of the three brilliant men had an idea. 'Let us bring this lion back to life!' he said. 'Yes, yes!' cried the second and the third. 'This will bring us great fame, and surely word of our accomplishment will reach the very ears of the Emperor!' The fourth voiced his doubts as to the wisdom of the plan. 'If you bring this lion back to life, it will attack and devour you,' he warned."

His eyes shift back to the Lion instead. "'Don't interrupt!' cried the first man, who with his amazing talents had already managed to put flesh back on the beast. The second quickly and cunningly wrought blood to flow in the creature's veins, and as the third was about to breathe life into the corpse, the fourth man said, 'We should think of safety.' 'Quiet!' yelled the third man, and the fourth said, 'Very well. Excuse me while I go sit in this tree.'" His eyes flit back to the Asahina. "'Just in case.'"

He smiles. "The third brilliant man completed his labors successfully, and behold! the Lion arose again from the dead. He promptly leapt upon the three brilliant men and tore them limb from limb, but the wise man was out of his reach in the tree, so after eating his fill, the lion went off to terrorize the countryside."

Spending a void for Soul of Civility +2k2 for any high/social roll. Going for two raises on a courtier 3/awareness 3 roll to try and get the message through to the dumbass Asahina looking to cleverly start poo poo. If he at least doesn't get it the others should.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

The fan flutters in front of Takao's face. "My," he says, "Such creative and educational entertainment tonight. I'm afraid it's all too complex for a simple soldier like me."

4K2 Aware/Etiquette to try to help diffuse the situation.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kitsuki Ryoma

"Well," Ryoma thinks to himself, "this potentially may end badly."

Remembering his mission as an agent of peace, as well as a representative of the Dragon clan, Ryoma tactfully stands up, approaches Asahina-san, and reaches to put his hand on his shoulder.

"Asahina-san, please calm down. Remember, we are here to promote peace, and to to that we need everyone's cooperation from the start. I am sure that everyone here had some sort of prejudice or ill will towards another when they came in here, yet look around you. Everybody is sitting, putting aside their differences, and enjoying themselves together for the sake of peace. So please, Asahina-san, if you truly desire peace, please just calm down and go back to sitting and enjoying good food, good company, and a desire for true peace."

6k3 Etiquette/Awareness roll to approach Asahina gracefully. Raise one on my 6k3 Courtier/Awareness roll to help my speech convince him.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
"Akodo...Hiro, is it?" the Asahina addresses the other Lion as he shrugs off the Kitsuki's hand. He will not be so easily mollified. "You say your way is the sword and the sword alone, and so I believe it is. That must be why your cousin seems utterly unaware of the finer points of sadane. But I suppose we all serve the Son of Heaven in our own manner; some act with skill and wit, while others stab things.

"Ah, well, if I need my duck sliced, perhaps I'll seek the aid of your kind. But know this, before you would seek to draw your blade:
Chopsticks of the Crane
defeat twenty katanas
of Lion Bushi"

And with a last pointed look toward Shinakio and the briefest nod toward Brother Kyo, Hitaki retakes his seat. Doji Inejiro continues to glare at him, but there are more than a few appreciative smirks on the faces of the other Crane present. Even the refined Shiba seems to be working hard to suppress a giggle.

With his further comments, it seems the Asahina has settled on additional targets for his ire. Mechanically speaking, Brother Kyo is the only one whose Courtier or Etiquette even gets close to Hitaki's Games: Sadane roll, but Hitaki's result is still higher, so I'm going to say the situation's not defused just yet. Specifically, at the moment, the Lion--and especially Shinakio--are in danger of losing Honor for enduring an insult to their Clan.
Apropos of this, Epicurius: Takao's got Brash and Heart of Vengeance; he should be the LAST one seeking to calm things down.
And Stormgale, the Storytelling roll used for your Technique is not contested or anything, so it's generally straight TN 15.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 19, 2011

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Akodo Hiro

What a strange man, and a strange poem. Still, he was for it. Hiro smiles, "Come now, Asahina-sama, you insult our hosts! I would not say the food was that bad, not at all!" With that he pats his belly, smiling. "Seldom have I felt fuller or more cheerful. Do you suggest the morrow will find me a grave man? I would not have thought so excellent a meal would have been the target of your sadane, I fear I do not know if I can do it justice."

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 19, 2011

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Akodo Takao

Takao is having trouble controlling himself. That the Asahina would say such things was bad enough, but that his superiors would allow him to do so and even smirk is too much. He gasps, "Is this then Crane honor? Perhaps I am too simple to join this banter, for I am certainly not so full of wit as some are here, but we know in the Lion lands that a man shames himself when he seeks to shame a guest! Is such simple courtesy not to be found in other lands?"

quote:

Takao's got Brash and Heart of Vengeance; he should be the LAST one seeking to calm things down.

Point taken. I am suitably chastised and will be more belligerent in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can I just get a clarification of events, he decided to insult me and then hid behind sadane or he was always doing sadane? cause as far as I understand sadane has to be upon an agreed subject, or is he just using the skill to throw subtle insults while not playing the game

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 19, 2011

• Locked thread