Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Goddess of 1967 (2000), directed by Clara Law and starring Rose Byrne and some Japanese chap named Rikiya Kurokawa.

Short summary of the plot: A Japanese guy goes to Australia to buy an old car, but ends up on a journey through the Australian outback with a blind girl. Essentially, this is a road movie, so there is no red thread here.

I'm not really into art cinema, and I say that because I believe this is art cinema - long, tedious and thematically heavy. But I really enjoyed this film! It is an emotionally tense film, but not without its moments of wonderful charm and the occasional fun. Also, the main actress, Rose Byrne, is stunningly (Repeat that adjective) beautiful in her portrayal of a blind girl. And, this movie features a dance scene which boils over in charm and a sense of feelgood. Perhaps my favourite moment in the movie.

I am horrible at analyzing metaphors and meaning in films, so I'll skip that part and onto the next: This film has some truly stunning visuals. The empty landscapes of the Australian outback and the surreal portrayal of Tokyo hit me. This is plain and simply a beautiful film, both in visuals and as a film. The romance is not cringe worthy either - it's subtle and tender, and spiced up with great chemistry between the characters. However, their interactions did not always make sense (at least not to me) but I guess that is a rule of thumbs for movies like this.

I loved this film. Watch it for Rose Byrne if you will, but do not watch it for entertainment. Just sit back and relax. This movie is strangely therapeutic.
5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU