Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1146 »
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fallen Rib

A few years back my brother made two huge jars of pickled baby octopus, and I have thought about those pretty much constantly since, so I'm thinking of making them on my own. Unfortunately I also read that octopus heads are so high in selenium that it's easy to get poisoned from eating too many. How much of a risk is there with lil babies in particular? I ate so many of those little fuckers last time, and nothing happened, so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And now the whole nation - pulpit and all - will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open.

This sounds like a nice twist and has some good details, I'll give it a try!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006

I won the 2018 Spooktober Story Contest and all I got was this lousy avatar.

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A few years back my brother made two huge jars of pickled baby octopus, and I have thought about those pretty much constantly since, so I'm thinking of making them on my own. Unfortunately I also read that octopus heads are so high in selenium that it's easy to get poisoned from eating too many. How much of a risk is there with lil babies in particular? I ate so many of those little fuckers last time, and nothing happened, so idk.

It's doubtful that baby octopuses are any higher in selenium than adults - and adult octopus has about 75mcg per 3oz serving. The "you probably don't want to eat more than this" limit is ~400mcg/day for several days in a row. So unless you plan on eating a pound of octopus every day for like a week straight, you'll be fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

If you do plan to eat a pound of octopus a day for a week and you please post a trip report?

Similar looking, pickled mushrooms are dead easy to make and now my friends won't shut up about them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a good caramel corn recipe? I'm considering making some as a Christmas gift, in lieu of more stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm looking for a little feedback on flavor profiles. I'm making a modern baked mac and cheese that uses sodium citrate (but not too much) and some potato starch, because I love the texture of both combined. Generally I use (and am planning to use) equal parts medium cheddar, gruyere, and a third cheese to add something new to the party. Will I regret using Beemster Royal Grand Cru, which is basically an aged gouda? Should I use some fontina or something else creamy and mild instead? I'm going to add bacon and broccoli, and I'm thinking of also putting in some diced tomatoes.

fizzymercy
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody have some savory recipes that use sweet potatoes? I have FIFTY FOUR (54. Half a loving bushel) sweet potatoes that need to be used up quickly and I hate sweet things.

andelazo
Jul 31, 2013

Donít have recipes on me but soups, latkes come immediately to mind. If you can make pasta Casunziei with sweet potatoes instead of beetroot is nice but wonít be super efficient. Fifty-four is a huge amountóa lot of food banks will take fresh produce if the alternative for you is throwing them away I guess, but Iím guessing you know that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

This is fine.

Risotto, fries, gratin (careful not to overcook), soup with greens and beans, coconut curry, https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/r...yogurt-and-mint

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

The internet is the universal sewer.

fizzymercy posted:

Anybody have some savory recipes that use sweet potatoes? I have FIFTY FOUR (54. Half a loving bushel) sweet potatoes that need to be used up quickly and I hate sweet things.

Vodka

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

fizzymercy posted:

Not a recipe per se, but I've been peeling sweet potatoes and tossing them into a vacuum bag with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper, sealing them and freezing them as single-serving sous vide sides, and I've been quite happy with that. Sometimes it's eaten with a fork as is and sometimes it's mashed with cinnamon and the reserved liquid from the bag. Far more savory than sweet either way, IMO.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

Not a recipe per se, but I've been peeling sweet potatoes and tossing them into a vacuum bag with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper, sealing them and freezing them as single-serving sous vide sides, and I've been quite happy with that. Sometimes it's eaten with a fork as is and sometimes it's mashed with cinnamon and the reserved liquid from the bag. Far more savory than sweet either way, IMO.

A quick pressure cook with them sitting on a steamer basket above the liquid layer will allow you to cook them tender quickly and they are incredibly easy to peel afterwards.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fizzymercy posted:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gogumabap

Human Tornada
Mar 3, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Chipotle sweet potato gratin
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...-recipe-1945789

Sweet potato and corned beef hash
https://www.cuisineathome.com/recip...-spicy-ketchup/

I've made both of these and they definitely rule.

You could also make a big batch of enchilada filling and freeze it. Boil them up and mash with chipotle puree and cream/honey/cheese/whatever.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Green curry is good with sweet potato.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sweet potato is good as nimono or tempura. Also makes pretty tasty jeon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There are whole restaurants dedicated solely to eating piles of baby octopus in Korea and I've never heard of anyone getting sick. I have gone to town on those in Korea many times without ill effect. I hope you enjoyed my very scientific data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

3 oz of octopus has approximately 75ug of selenium.
Daily intake should be about 50-60ug of selenium per day, with recommended intake limits being about 400 ug/day.

So...keep your octopus consumption under a pound per day, I guess.

«1146 »