Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1175 »
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

Cat Army
2nd Battalion
TANK

Stringent posted:

I'd probably eat the entire batch over the course of a day and a couple bottles of wine then spend a week hating myself for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

You can use garlic scapes instead of bulb garlic, but I guess that's a) not too much different than regular pesto and b) you've got to catch the scapes in season (late spring so like June-ish +/- a month in the Northern Hemisphere depending on how warm your area is). Maybe something to keep in mind for later in the season, they'll often pop up at farmers markets for not too much since farmers typically remove the flowering stalks (the scapes) to help promote growth of the bulb in hard-neck garlic.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2019 around 22:27

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

in the drug slang sense

C-Euro posted:

Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

since you're trying to use basil I won't say replacing that with nettles or arugula but some things I like to try are replacing the pine nuts with almonds or pistachios or making it dairy free by replacing the parm with nutritional yeast, adding avocado, occasionally adding dried chilis or peppers to make it spicy

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Add chilis, add cilantro/parsley, use walnuts or almonds, add fish sauce. Never thought to use nooch instead of parm but thatís a great idea.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

What's a good cookbook for Italian cuisine?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GBS sucks but this avatar is pretty great.

Make green curry pesto with basil mint cilantro jalapeno

sterster
Jun 18, 2006
nothing

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

The Silver Spoon. Hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenbrotep
Jul 31, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

The Silver Spoon is very comprehensive but doesnít really hold your hand. Itís the sort of resource that will last a lifetime but I wouldnít give it to someone whoís entirely new to cooking. Marcella Hazanís Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is a lot more explanatory, it touches on technique a lot more. Talismano della Felicitŗ is good as well, but I havenít read the English translation (which is the Talisman Italian Cookbook).

amenbrotep fucked around with this message at Mar 25, 2019 around 01:42

«1175 »