Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stringent posted:

I'd probably eat the entire batch over the course of a day and a couple bottles of wine then spend a week hating myself for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

You can use garlic scapes instead of bulb garlic, but I guess that's a) not too much different than regular pesto and b) you've got to catch the scapes in season (late spring so like June-ish +/- a month in the Northern Hemisphere depending on how warm your area is). Maybe something to keep in mind for later in the season, they'll often pop up at farmers markets for not too much since farmers typically remove the flowering stalks (the scapes) to help promote growth of the bulb in hard-neck garlic.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

C-Euro posted:

Our basil plant is going buck wild so I'm thinking of trimming it and making pesto. Anyone have a pesto recipe that's more exciting than the standard basil + pine nuts + garlic + parmesan + olive oil combo?

since you're trying to use basil I won't say replacing that with nettles or arugula but some things I like to try are replacing the pine nuts with almonds or pistachios or making it dairy free by replacing the parm with nutritional yeast, adding avocado, occasionally adding dried chilis or peppers to make it spicy

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Add chilis, add cilantro/parsley, use walnuts or almonds, add fish sauce. Never thought to use nooch instead of parm but that’s a great idea.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What's a good cookbook for Italian cuisine?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Make green curry pesto with basil mint cilantro jalapeno

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

The Silver Spoon. Hands down.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

The Silver Spoon is very comprehensive but doesn’t really hold your hand. It’s the sort of resource that will last a lifetime but I wouldn’t give it to someone who’s entirely new to cooking. Marcella Hazan’s Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is a lot more explanatory, it touches on technique a lot more. Talismano della Felicità is good as well, but I haven’t read the English translation (which is the Talisman Italian Cookbook).

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 25, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I made too much falafel mix on Saturday, stuck it in the fridge, had it in there the whole time, probably won't get to fry them until tomorrow. Still smells perfectly fine. Anything to watch out for, though?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
RE: Bread Chat

During ww2 rationing in the UK, bakers were ordered to not sell fresh bread, including the dreaded 'National Loaf'. The bread had to age a day so it wouldn't taste as good, and people would eat it slower.

https://www.cooksinfo.com/national-loaf

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 25, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

RE: Bread Chat

During ww2 rationing in the UK, bakers were ordered to not sell fresh bread, including the dreaded 'National Loaf'. The bread had to age a day so it wouldn't taste as good, and people would eat it slower.

https://www.cooksinfo.com/national-loaf

I love stupid facts like this. It will come in use that one time I'm in a bar and a random rear end question about WWII bread come around.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

sterster posted:

I love stupid facts like this. It will come in use that one time I'm in a bar and a random rear end question about WWII bread come around.

I find the British rationing system fascinating for some reason.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

amenbrotep posted:

Marcella Hazan’s Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is a lot more explanatory, it touches on technique a lot more.

Seconding this recommendation.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I made too much falafel mix on Saturday, stuck it in the fridge, had it in there the whole time, probably won't get to fry them until tomorrow. Still smells perfectly fine. Anything to watch out for, though?

It's fine. You have my blessing.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can also use a waffle iron if you don't want to deal with frying them.

I call them fawaffels and they're the bomb.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright so I gave this another go, this time under the grill, and while they cooked nicely again I was left with very tough skin, like "hard to put a fork through it" tough. And this is with yet another type of "high quality" sausage. I guess I'll keep trying :(

Really bizarre. Lower temperature for longer? You want something like 180/medium heat for something like 15-20 minutes. Turn regularly. Prick them if you like.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Weltlich posted:

I had this idea for a food court or food truck a few years ago, and I still think it would be popular. Wafelafel with a fried egg on top, or some shakshuka, or fried chicken, or chili, the list goes on.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

I find the British rationing system fascinating for some reason.

:same:

I was in London recently to visit a friend, and as part of an (permanent?) exhibit on the 1951 Festival of Britain at the Royal Festival Hall, they had a ration card and to see what you could and couldn't get was just :aaa: / :britain:

Modern culture has embraced wholemeal / whole grain bread bread for health reasons — would the National Loaf taste familiar to us, or was it particularly bad apart from being a bit stale? Of course, when you're used to fresh white bread, nothing quite is as good...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

amenbrotep posted:

Dope, thanks! Is Izakaya the one by Mark Robinson or Hideo Dekura? Seem to be two out there.

Mark Robinson.

Weltlich posted:

That sounds rad.

I also find baking falafel works just fine. Brush them with a bit of olive oil first.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So I need some advice about nutrition in general.
I do basic meal prep nothing too fancy; just a carb usually potatoes, plus a veggie usually steamed carrots or broccoli, and then a meat, usually steak or chicken cut into strips, or maybe a meatloaf. Just whatever I feel like taking from the kitchen at work LOL. (Hospital cafeteria) And then there's just a pile of fruit apples bananas oranges etc. I've cut just about all processed foods (junk food, soda, etc) and drink just water and sweet tea (at work)
My question is just how big should the meal preps be? I'm a small person but I can easily eat 2 of the med size containers (plus a piece of fruit )for dinner, and usually get hungry again late at night. How do I stretch this food out? Or do I just go to sleep hungry? I don't usually eat breakfast, eat lunch around 11am.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
This thread is for good food. I think if you want to talk to other people about bad diet food you should go to the log cabin or the other one.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you’re getting hungry by the time you go to bed, I would suggest eating a larger dinner, yes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been meaning to try the fawaffle thing for... at least as long as I've been calling them that myself. :v: Maybe today's the day.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Since we're talking about falafel, many years ago in the falafel thread someone posted a great recipe for a falafel patty that kept together well on the grill. Anyone have something similar since it's almost bbq season here?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anyone ever bought a food dehydrator and got actual crisp apple slices at home? I've read reviews online and it seems you might need prosumer $300+ models to get drier than "a bit too moist fruit leather"

Might just keep using a 180F oven, though I'm sure efficiency is an issue.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I had this idea for a food court or food truck a few years ago, and I still think it would be popular. Wafelafel with a fried egg on top, or some shakshuka, or fried chicken, or chili, the list goes on.

Toss some braised short ribs and pickled vegetables on that and I'm in.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been meaning to try the fawaffle thing for... at least as long as I've been calling them that myself. :v: Maybe today's the day.

Keep some sort of spray oil handy to grease the waffle iron as you do them. Otherwise, this is the most low effort falafel cooking method I know of. I like to use coconut or avocado oil in the little spray can, but whatever floats your boat.

The only other tip I have for fawaffels (or wafalafels), is to set the iron as hot as it'll go, and leave them on for a few extra seconds (like 15 to 30) to get the exterior nice and crispy.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

BrianBoitano posted:

Anyone ever bought a food dehydrator and got actual crisp apple slices at home? I've read reviews online and it seems you might need prosumer $300+ models to get drier than "a bit too moist fruit leather"

Might just keep using a 180F oven, though I'm sure efficiency is an issue.

I started making apple chips in my Excalibur ages ago and the primary variable that impacts crispiness seems to be slice thickness. I get crispy ones by using a mandolin and a fairly modest temperature, though it takes about a day due to the high local humidity.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

So I need some advice about nutrition in general.
I do basic meal prep nothing too fancy; just a carb usually potatoes, plus a veggie usually steamed carrots or broccoli, and then a meat, usually steak or chicken cut into strips, or maybe a meatloaf. Just whatever I feel like taking from the kitchen at work LOL. (Hospital cafeteria) And then there's just a pile of fruit apples bananas oranges etc. I've cut just about all processed foods (junk food, soda, etc) and drink just water and sweet tea (at work)
My question is just how big should the meal preps be? I'm a small person but I can easily eat 2 of the med size containers (plus a piece of fruit )for dinner, and usually get hungry again late at night. How do I stretch this food out? Or do I just go to sleep hungry? I don't usually eat breakfast, eat lunch around 11am.

If I understand your question correctly, it's a bit hard to say. The amount of food you should eat depends on your body, weight, height, age, and the amount of physical activity you do. If you're maintaining a healthy weight then you're doing it right!

That being said, some foods may tend to leave you more satiated than others, like foods high in fiber (fruits, veggies, and legumes). That and foods you tend to eat more slowly are good (like in-shell pistachios vs. shelled nuts).

There's also diet and nutrition threads in the fitness subforum

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is corn starch opened in 2013 and not kept air-tight OK to use? It looks OK...

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
One of my dear friends is on a quest to lose weight, and things are actually going very well so far! However, I know she loves sweets. I also love sweets, and I love baking, but my recipes are often of the "hmm, what is the best cookie recipe? Ah yes, the one full of butter" variety, and she's trying to avoid those kinds of foods now.

Any goons have any favorite lower carb dessert recipes, or resources for these things? Ideally not something which produces a bunch of little treats. She and I both have bingeing urges with little, single-serve sweets.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uberwekkness posted:

One of my dear friends is on a quest to lose weight, and things are actually going very well so far! However, I know she loves sweets. I also love sweets, and I love baking, but my recipes are often of the "hmm, what is the best cookie recipe? Ah yes, the one full of butter" variety, and she's trying to avoid those kinds of foods now.

Any goons have any favorite lower carb dessert recipes, or resources for these things? Ideally not something which produces a bunch of little treats. She and I both have bingeing urges with little, single-serve sweets.

The fun thing about low carb is that sometimes it means eating sticks of butter guilt-free. Do you want low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie, all of the above, or something else?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.

baquerd posted:

The fun thing about low carb is that sometimes it means eating sticks of butter guilt-free. Do you want low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie, all of the above, or something else?

Oh, I messed that up in my op! Yeah, low-calorie is what I meant. :doh: When it comes to desserts, I don't think she minds carbs or fat quite so much, as long as it's tasty, and will satisfy her sweet-tooth. She's told me that she prefers to keep her sweets under 200 calories, if that makes a difference.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ranter posted:

Is corn starch opened in 2013 and not kept air-tight OK to use? It looks OK...

If it's dry a d not clumpy, yes. It doesn't really go bad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

poeticoddity posted:

I started making apple chips in my Excalibur ages ago and the primary variable that impacts crispiness seems to be slice thickness. I get crispy ones by using a mandolin and a fairly modest temperature, though it takes about a day due to the high local humidity.

Thanks! That's a bit on the pricy end, but I guess I can wait for a sale.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's dry a d not clumpy, yes. It doesn't really go bad.

Yup. West that happens is it picks up off flavors from being stored with other stuff or loses thickening power.

That said it is dirt cheap, so if in doubt swap it out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fawaffle is legit and as a bonus fits right into a pita bread or could double as a burger patty. Not sure why it's not done like that by default.

Also if you want them to hold together on the grill you can do what I did: add far more flour than the recipe suggests then overwork it until it becones dense and glutinous

absolutely guarantee you they won't come apart in a thousand years but it's not exactly an endorsement

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks! That's a bit on the pricy end, but I guess I can wait for a sale.

They show up periodically on Woot, for whatever it's worth, and the older non-digital models are cheaper than the newer offerings.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

uberwekkness posted:

Oh, I messed that up in my op! Yeah, low-calorie is what I meant. :doh: When it comes to desserts, I don't think she minds carbs or fat quite so much, as long as it's tasty, and will satisfy her sweet-tooth. She's told me that she prefers to keep her sweets under 200 calories, if that makes a difference.

How about no-bake granola bars? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/223164/chewy-no-bake-granola-bars/ Get some dark chocolate in there.

I've been eating a home made dark chocolate cranberry and coconut museli mix for breakfast lately, half a cup is 300 calories with half a cup of 2% milk on top, it keeps me full for hours, and tastes great.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So I want to make choco tacos for a friend's birthday, but don't really wanna drop $40-50 on a waffle cone maker. Just trying to brainstorm some ways to get the waffle pattern if I just bake them on a sheet tray. Do they make like cheap replacement plates or something? Just flip over a wire rack and press it into the still warm cones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Turkeybone posted:

So I want to make choco tacos for a friend's birthday, but don't really wanna drop $40-50 on a waffle cone maker. Just trying to brainstorm some ways to get the waffle pattern if I just bake them on a sheet tray. Do they make like cheap replacement plates or something? Just flip over a wire rack and press it into the still warm cones?

Do you live in an area with a high concentration of lutherans or norwegians? Go to Goodwill and find a krumkake iron. Use it. Give back to Goodwill.

Heck, check Goodwill for a crepe maker anyway, that kind of stuff is always there.