Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

poverty goat posted:

I have 2 basil plants that are going for the world record apparently which would be fine, but they're starting to steal sun from my serranos which are also very ambitious this year. what's there to do with a gratuitous amount of fresh basil? pickled basil? basil preserves?

Basil chimichurri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best recipe for Cincinnati style chili? Not arguing whether it counts as actual chili. I just want that tasty Skyline Gold Star flavor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I know that the vast majority of (or all?) "Wasabi" sold in the US is actually dyed horseradish, but what else do they put in it? Because it definitely tastes somewhat different from regular white horseradish.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

So, I know that the vast majority of (or all?) "Wasabi" sold in the US is actually dyed horseradish, but what else do they put in it? Because it definitely tastes somewhat different from regular white horseradish.

I think it's mustard

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

I have 2 basil plants that are going for the world record apparently which would be fine, but they're starting to steal sun from my serranos which are also very ambitious this year. what's there to do with a gratuitous amount of fresh basil? pickled basil? basil preserves?

Same except oregano. I've seen stuff about oregano pesto, is that a thing anyone's tried? Any other ideas?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

You can freeze bean sprouts, but it ruins the texture, which is the only reason to eat them. For longer storage (but still not very long) separate them like an IQF tray and take them close to 0C. You can get maybe 4-5 usable days out of them, in my experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

poverty goat posted:

If nothing else grabs your fancy you can freeze it. Chop it and freeze in ice cube trays with a bit of water to bind it all together. Obviously you lose the texture but it works just fine for adding to sauces.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have five pounds of chicken necks that won't fit in my freezer, any reason I shouldn't make a super simple stock (without aromatics) and extract as much flavor and gelatin from them as possible, reduce that way down, and then freeze that stock to add to a proper stock later on?

Bagheera posted:

Best recipe for Cincinnati style chili? Not arguing whether it counts as actual chili. I just want that tasty Skyline Gold Star flavor.

I've used this one from Cook's Illustrated before. It's pretty close, but like all home cooked versions of fast food, it's never going to be exactly the same. If you taste it before the simmering stage it will be pretty bland, but after an hour the flavors definitely come together.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Goons, when life gives you hot-as-balls weather, make mint lemonade and lemoncello!

E: gently caress I thought this was the general chat. Um my question is how are you doing today?? You look great.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 15, 2019

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Human Tornada posted:

I have five pounds of chicken necks that won't fit in my freezer, any reason I shouldn't make a super simple stock (without aromatics) and extract as much flavor and gelatin from them as possible, reduce that way down, and then freeze that stock to add to a proper stock later on?

Unless you just really love eating chicken necks, not really. It’s about the only other thing necks are useful for.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Goons, when life gives you hot-as-balls weather, make mint lemonade and lemoncello!

E: gently caress I thought this was the general chat. Um my question is how are you doing today?? You look great.

If the question is "Limoncello" the answer is "Yes"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I stuck a spare cucumber into my big jar of pickled onions to see what will happen.

The brine is an uncertain mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt, and mustard seed.

Am I gonna end up with a pickled cucumber, or cucumber flavored onions?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Annath posted:

I stuck a spare cucumber into my big jar of pickled onions to see what will happen.

The brine is an uncertain mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt, and mustard seed.

Am I gonna end up with a pickled cucumber, or cucumber flavored onions?

yes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I pricked holes in the skin to better allow the brine in, and now my pickle is swollen and covered in pink spots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Annath posted:

I pricked holes in the skin to better allow the brine in, and now my pickle is swollen and covered in pink spots.

You might want to visit a doctor and get that checked out dude.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I used fresh coriander seeds for the first time, and have henceforth ruined ground coriander for myself forever.

:thumbsup:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

You might want to visit a doctor and get that checked out dude.

The red onions make the brine red/pink :ssh:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Annath posted:

The red onions make the brine red/pink :ssh:

It was a penis joke :ssh:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Human Tornada posted:

It was a penis joke :ssh:

I made the penis joke :ssh:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Annath posted:

I made the penis joke :ssh:

Well aren't you something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Banned for homegrown.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just got a ton of frozen berries from a friend who's moving and cleared out her freezer. I love making berry pie, but it's too hot to turn on the awful old oven. What sweet deserts can I make with frozen berries and an instant pot or stovetop?

This oven is the worst. It's a gas oven from the 1960s, it has no igniter so you have to light it with a long lighter, and it's scary as hell. It also makes the whole apartment hot, which is nice in winter, but hell in summer, especially since we're trying not to turn on the AC.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I realized I have a shitton of ghee sitting around in my fridge. I'm guessing that using this stuff in baking recipes (bread/cookies/cake) as a 1:1 butter substitute would invite unforeseen disasters?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve just been give a sodastream for Father’s Day. What should I make with it?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

Lingonberry Soda. Blueberry Soda. MINT SODA.

The first two are syrups you can get at Ikea. The Mint syrup I sourced on Ebay from a french company. The mint soda is delightful, fantastic for tummy aches or general refreshing sipping.

I enjoyed mine lots, refills are a pain though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tarragon soda!

https://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/georgian-tarragon-soda/

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Scientastic posted:

Carbonate heavy cream and make a cafe breve.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lemonbalm soda is really nice too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I realized I have a shitton of ghee sitting around in my fridge. I'm guessing that using this stuff in baking recipes (bread/cookies/cake) as a 1:1 butter substitute would invite unforeseen disasters?

Butter is about 20% water so you’d need to scale back and replace the water that you’re missing. Beyond that, it’s not gonna be emulsified and that may affect somethings, but I’m not quite sure what or how.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just got a ton of frozen berries from a friend who's moving and cleared out her freezer. I love making berry pie, but it's too hot to turn on the awful old oven. What sweet deserts can I make with frozen berries and an instant pot or stovetop?

This oven is the worst. It's a gas oven from the 1960s, it has no igniter so you have to light it with a long lighter, and it's scary as hell. It also makes the whole apartment hot, which is nice in winter, but hell in summer, especially since we're trying not to turn on the AC.

Jellies, smoothies, sorbets

Scientastic posted:

Any DIY syrup will do ya good, plus citrus. Make a 1:1 simple, steep herbs or crushed fruit, strain and refrigerate. The above tarragon recipe is a bit more fancy, but it follows a similar format. I don't think blending is necessary.

Whatever you do, do NOT follow this:

Totally Reasonable posted:

Carbonate heavy cream and make a cafe breve.

The Sodastream warns a lot about only carbonating water. Heed it. We ruined one, since the nucleation sites turn it into a Mentos and Diet Coke situation, gumming up the seals in a mostly irreversible way.

Maybe if you under-fill and be very slow and careful you'll be okay.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Is the Soda Stream still manufactured in the Occupied West Bank? Cause I always thought they were cool, but don't like the idea of buying one for that reason.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is the Soda Stream still manufactured in the Occupied West Bank? Cause I always thought they were cool, but don't like the idea of buying one for that reason.

Regardless, you should make your own using this guide: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Soda-Water-%2526-Home-Carbonation---Pays-For-Itsel/

You can get much higher carbonation, which is much better. I recommend using a plastic bottle to carb and then transfer to a swingtop glass, which keeps the bubbles in for two weeks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What are the best resources to best learn how to plate better? I've only been cooking for about 3 years and I want to start upping my visual game to start impressing girls i bring home all of the classy dinner party guests i have as a 22 year old

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spaced God posted:

What are the best resources to best learn how to plate better? I've only been cooking for about 3 years and I want to start upping my visual game to start impressing girls i bring home all of the classy dinner party guests i have as a 22 year old

Embrace ugly delicious

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Regardless, you should make your own using this guide: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Soda-Water-%2526-Home-Carbonation---Pays-For-Itsel/

You can get much higher carbonation, which is much better. I recommend using a plastic bottle to carb and then transfer to a swingtop glass, which keeps the bubbles in for two weeks.

That's super cool, thanks!

I heard Dave Arnold talking about having modded his sink to have a carbonated water tap, though, and now I want to figure out how to do that. Cause I actually don't want soda - I just want carbonated water all the time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's super cool, thanks!

I heard Dave Arnold talking about having modded his sink to have a carbonated water tap, though, and now I want to figure out how to do that. Cause I actually don't want soda - I just want carbonated water all the time.

http://www.sodadispenserdepot.com/pics/tower-seltzer-cold-plate-system.html

Maybe some day...

One cool thing my dad installed was a special super-hot water tap in the kitchen that made on demand hot water for coffee and tea. I miss that thing, it was super convenient.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No, they closed that factory in 2015

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

So I've never used one but you should make Fizzy Fruit if you can. Basically it's carbonated fruit. I've done it by putting dry ice in a cooler with grapes/oranges/watermelon or what ever you want. Then wrapping the seams of the cooler in multiple layers of plastic wrap, let rest for like ~8 hours. CO2 dissolves into the fruit and makes it fizzy when you eat. Plus it adds some acidity to the fruit.

Chefsteps video on it - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-fizzy-fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Embrace ugly delicious

I'm off to update my Tinder profile....