Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mordiceius posted:

It's not that she doesn't love eggs (actually, she loving loves eggs a ton), it's that as of a couple years ago, eggs started making her terrible ill every time she ate them. She wants to eat eggs for breakfast, but it is that she can't without being sick.

Yeah, that's basically what I figured as well. It's hard because I'm just trying to find a solution for her when she wakes up in the morning thinking "I want breakfast food, but I can't have eggs or anything sweet." It seems like the only breakfasts foods that exist either have eggs or are high in carbs and sweet. She's not trying to do no carbs, she's just trying to reduce her carb intake in general.
Not low carb, but in parts of Turkey they eat a lentil soup (mercimek corbasi) for breakfast that is tasty and would presumably be less carby than whatever bread or cereal type breakfast. Easy thing to heat a portion of in the morning, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. It’s hard because she hates any tastes of sweetness in the morning.

Yogurt - too sweet

drat, even unflavored yogurt? The amount of sugar in flavored yogurt is out of control, but it's hard for me to eat plain yogurt without at least teaspoon of sugar to make it a bit more palatable.

If she's not getting mad miles out of this line, she really should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GJA83JFI4

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mordiceius posted:

Yogurt - too sweet
Berries - too sweet
Peanut butter - too sweet.

She grew up in the south eating fried chicken in the morning, so that’s generally what she craves. Too bad it’s not healthy.

I think there's some support for making breakfast your largest, fattiest meal of the day. So I think she could get away with splurging a bit with something in the mornings as long as lunch and dinner are more reasonably balanced.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If I am too lazy/in a hurry to eat before I get to work, I keep packets of miso soup at my desk and that's a pretty good breakfast imo.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mordiceius posted:

It's not that she doesn't love eggs (actually, she loving loves eggs a ton), it's that as of a couple years ago, eggs started making her terrible ill every time she ate them. She wants to eat eggs for breakfast, but it is that she can't without being sick.

Yeah, that's basically what I figured as well. It's hard because I'm just trying to find a solution for her when she wakes up in the morning thinking "I want breakfast food, but I can't have eggs or anything sweet." It seems like the only breakfasts foods that exist either have eggs or are high in carbs and sweet. She's not trying to do no carbs, she's just trying to reduce her carb intake in general.

Same thing happened to my wife. She had an allergy test done and found that she was barely, very slightly, allergic to egg whites. It came on after giving birth (which could be the cause, it also made her hair curlier). For some reason she's fine with fast food eggs, but anything good is not good. She also has no real love for American sweetness, preferring the less sickening sweet stuff of Europe. So now breakfasts are homemade sausage, homemade yogurt, homemade granola and fruit. But it sucks as we can't go out for breakfast really as it's all sweet or eggs and often sysco slop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Casu Marzu posted:

If I am too lazy/in a hurry to eat before I get to work, I keep packets of miso soup at my desk and that's a pretty good breakfast imo.

Yeah, why not do a traditional Japanese breakfast and sub the rice out for something else?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Another salty, savory option is a sausage breakfast sandwich, with or without egg. Just portion out breakfast sausage patties to english muffin size or slightly larger and freeze or refrigerate them. In the morning, split an english muffin and lightly toast it while you throw a patty in a pan. Turn it over and whatever man you know how to cook meat. Cheese on top, optional bacon/egg, done. Takes 10 minutes or less, and who doesn't like a mouthful of salty pork in the morning?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't know if telling someone to put sausage on some carbs and top it with an egg is a good idea for someone trying to avoid carbs and eggs. My suggestion is to just start eating normal (aka non-breakfast) foods for breakfast. There's no law that says you need to eat breakfast foods for breakfast.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't know if telling someone to put sausage on some carbs and top it with an egg is a good idea for someone trying to avoid carbs and eggs. My suggestion is to just start eating normal (aka non-breakfast) foods for breakfast. There's no law that says you need to eat breakfast foods for breakfast.

There are plenty of low carb english muffins out there, and they're actually pretty good :shrug:

I added the egg in there mainly because he does eat eggs.

That said, I'm totally in favor of eating non-breakfast food in the morning. Our diets shouldn't be beholden to the sun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to this thread for advice about chicken thighs. It turned out great!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

What color was it? Like porange salmon color, or red?

I've never tried to make it, but people make vegan sashimi/sushi out of watermelon of all things. I guess you could use a golden type watermelon to get something that looks more like salmon. Maybe there's some other orange fruits that could do it?

It was definitely not red, more a normal salmon color, and not watermelon unless they did some sort of bizarre wizardry to it. I'm not looking to make it I'm just really curious how it works.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It was definitely not red, more a normal salmon color, and not watermelon unless they did some sort of bizarre wizardry to it. I'm not looking to make it I'm just really curious how it works.

Is there any chance it was this? I'm curious about this now, I know some vegans and I'd like to host a sushi night at some vague point in the future.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Throwing in my reply to the breakfast thing. Regularly my wife and I make Nova Lox. Using plain/low fat cream cheese will help. It's not overly sweet because of the fish and capers. I guess the biggest issue is that it's usually served on a bagel. Which you could either sub for a thin bagel to help cut that down or just entirely do without I suppose. Doesn't require any cooking either so it's a quick prep.

As for the eggs is she sensitive to either just yolk or egg whites or perhaps both? Knowing this might help with our suggestions.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Where do I buy ten pounds of semi sweet chocolate for less than $50 or so? I'm in the US. I got my last huge bag on Amazon and it wasn't amazing quality and I'm hoping someone knows of a chocolate bulk seller - baking speciality stores like KAF are a little too pricey for me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not wholesale but super easy to get, Trader Joe's pound plus bars are 17 oz for $5 with good reviews

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Trader Joes has a 1 lb bar for less than $5 iirc. They keep it above the frozen foods in my location. It's what I use when I don't want to pay Ghirardelli prices, and it tastes great.

e;fb

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mordiceius posted:

We're in a similar boat here. I've been trying to come up with a bulk make ahead breakfast that we can both eat, but I'm trying to cut back on refines carbs, and egg yolks make her sick. My wife can at least eat egg whites (has your wife tried those?), so I think I just need to find flavorful applications for those. I don't really object to them except that I find them really bland without the yolk.

Searching for "egg free paleo breakfast" is one source that has given me some good ideas, mostly sausage+root veg+veggie hashes, but there are some other interesting things like breakfast stir fries and savory puddings. I don't really follow paleo ideology but I find that the recipes often make good starting points.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Egg white omelettes are pretty good. With meat and veggies and a handful of fresh herbs it shouldn't be bland at all.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Discussion Quorum posted:

We're in a similar boat here. I've been trying to come up with a bulk make ahead breakfast that we can both eat, but I'm trying to cut back on refines carbs, and egg yolks make her sick. My wife can at least eat egg whites (has your wife tried those?), so I think I just need to find flavorful applications for those. I don't really object to them except that I find them really bland without the yolk.

Searching for "egg free paleo breakfast" is one source that has given me some good ideas, mostly sausage+root veg+veggie hashes, but there are some other interesting things like breakfast stir fries and savory puddings. I don't really follow paleo ideology but I find that the recipes often make good starting points.

I dunno if you have access to a sous vide cooker, but sous vide egg bites are perfect for this. You can make a bunch of different flavors to keep it interesting including with/without yolk, they are Paleo friendly, and are easy to prep in bulk.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Ooh, trader Joe's is a good idea. Thanks!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is diplomat cake a regional thing?

I asked 2x to make sure that I was asking for a slice of diplomat cake to try and this is what I got. What the hell is it?

I was trying to get this

and what I got is this

How angry should I be I didn't get what I was asking for.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a pretty lovely diplomat cake, but it is still technically a diplomat cake.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Turtlicious posted:

That's a pretty lovely diplomat cake, but it is still technically a diplomat cake.

Well gently caress me, I guess I have to go around to actual french bakeries with a picture of what I want then. Stupid "European" bakery.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Real quick, is that butter cream or is it ice cream? Because if it's ice cream that is just an ice cream cake lmao.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Turtlicious posted:

Real quick, is that butter cream or is it ice cream? Because if it's ice cream that is just an ice cream cake lmao.

It felt like flubber when I poked it. It wasn't icecream, but I wouldn't call it butter cream either. Basically a sponge cake bottom, a "creamy" middle with a sponge cake layer on top. It was on the whole a very dissatisfying cake which made me angry and wondered if diplomat cake is a regional thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that sounds gross as hell, I think they did their best efforts at making a diplomat cake, so I'd just go to a better bakery. I'm the kind of weirdo who would take the cake back and complain though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's probably diplomat cream hence the name of the cake.

Regarding Trader Joe's chocolate it's what I use anytime I have to do anything chocolate related at home. If you're lucky your store might still have some of the huge bars they carry around x-mas time they are 4 or 5 lb bars for like $15.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is there any chance it was this? I'm curious about this now, I know some vegans and I'd like to host a sushi night at some vague point in the future.

I'm in China so there's no way it was that specific thing. That looks pretty different anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are hot peppers a no no for making vegetable stock with? Just like poblano, serrano, etc. Minimal seeds.

Follow up question, I basically just need enough water to cover the vegetables, correct? First time I followed a recipe to a T, now I just wanna wing it and see what's better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DasNeonLicht posted:

drat, even unflavored yogurt? The amount of sugar in flavored yogurt is out of control, but it's hard for me to eat plain yogurt without at least teaspoon of sugar to make it a bit more palatable.

If she's not getting mad miles out of this line, she really should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GJA83JFI4

I might be a weirdo, but I really like plain yogurt. Among other things, I use it as a sour cream substitute.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Yogurt - too sweet

Greek yoghurt might be worth a try, if you haven't already?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I might be a weirdo, but I really like plain yogurt. Among other things, I use it as a sour cream substitute.

Same. One of my fav things on a hot day is a bowl of plain unsweetened froyo. Cold and tart and refreshing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Same. One of my fav things on a hot day is a bowl of plain unsweetened froyo. Cold and tart and refreshing.

Yeah, or plain yogurt with pretty much any kind of fresh fruit/berry.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, or plain yogurt with pretty much any kind of fresh fruit/berry.

This, honey and granola has been my breakfast all this week.

Making your own yogurt is dope, goddamn I love yogurt

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mikey Purp posted:

I dunno if you have access to a sous vide cooker, but sous vide egg bites are perfect for this. You can make a bunch of different flavors to keep it interesting including with/without yolk, they are Paleo friendly, and are easy to prep in bulk.

:prepop: I do, and I've even had them before (OK it was Starbucks but still pretty good). I always assumed I would need a chamber sealer to deal with the liquid. I have some canning jars laying around, so looks like I just need the ring-style lids and I'll be in business.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Nah, no need for a chamber sealer, you just need to make sure that you finger tighten the lids so that they are able to expel excess pressure. The [site=https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/]Anova site[/url] has a good recipe to use as a starting point and then the sky's the limit.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I’ve gotten ahold of some raw goats milk, and I’d like to make some chèvre - I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recipes I might try when making goat cheese with raw goat milk. I’ve also got some food grade ash so i guess i could age some of it but i’m not sure to what end.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 17, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

I use it for that, too. We can be weirdos together - I'll bring the pierogi, you bring the baked potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What do you do with the brine from feta? I go through a lot of the cheese, and at the middle Eastern store I saw people buying cups of just the brine. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I used to use the full-fat cream on top yogurt in burritos and with curry. That stuff's amazing.