Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What do you do with the brine from feta? I go through a lot of the cheese, and at the middle Eastern store I saw people buying cups of just the brine. What gives?

They're probably just topping up whatever container they're using to store their block of cheese. Our local Middle Eastern/Mediterranean supermarket actually charges you extra for brine when you buy a block of feta, otherwise they just wrap the cheese itself.

I asked my (Greek-American) wife if people cooked with the brine itself and her response was basically "no, that's gross" :shrug: I've heard of people adding some to salad dressings but it's basically salt water so presumably you're not going to be adding cups of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Discussion Quorum posted:

They're probably just topping up whatever container they're using to store their block of cheese. Our local Middle Eastern/Mediterranean supermarket actually charges you extra for brine when you buy a block of feta, otherwise they just wrap the cheese itself.

I asked my (Greek-American) wife if people cooked with the brine itself and her response was basically "no, that's gross" :shrug: I've heard of people adding some to salad dressings but it's basically salt water so presumably you're not going to be adding cups of it.

Ok, I suppose that makes some sense. I can't imagine anyone having feta around long enough that they need to top up the brine, though.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If I wanted to do chicken and waffles tonight, would pickle brined chicken make for a gross flavor combo with just regular waffles + syrup?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Suggestions for uses of duck fat and duck stock?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Roast some potatoes rubbed in duck fat

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

Fat: frites
Stock: risotto

If frites are too boring, try searing some scallops in duck fat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, if you've never had it, potatoes cooked/roasted/fried in duck fat will rock your world.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I’ve gotten ahold of some raw goats milk, and I’d like to make some chèvre - I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recipes I might try when making goat cheese with raw goat milk. I’ve also got some food grade ash so i guess i could age some of it but i’m not sure to what end.

I wouldn't bother with aging. If the milk is fresh and raw, just make fresh cheese. If you are afraid that you won't eat it fast enough, you could brine a chunk to keep it fresh.

Eeyo posted:

I used to use the full-fat cream on top yogurt in burritos and with curry. That stuff's amazing.

I bought a case of Jamaican meat patties (beef pies) at Restaurant Depot, and I love topping them with some full-fat yogurt.

The dairy section at RD has probably the best bargains in the place, the store-brand "Indian style" whole yogurt is super yummy, and only $3.29 for a five-pound bucket.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iSheep posted:

If I wanted to do chicken and waffles tonight, would pickle brined chicken make for a gross flavor combo with just regular waffles + syrup?

Imho no

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alright I'll maybe give it a shot then.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iSheep posted:

Alright I'll maybe give it a shot then.

Mix some brown butter with that maple syrup. Not a lot, but enough to give that nutty flavor.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Am I the only person who removes as much of the chalazae as I can when making scrambled eggs or omelettes? While I don’t mind them in fried / over eggs, because they’re essentially invisible, I find them extremely unpalatable when doing scrambled or omelettes. :ohdear:

(I also break my spaghetti in half before dropping them in the pot)

(but I don’t put pineapple on my pizza or beans in my chili)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LongSack posted:

Am I the only person who removes as much of the chalazae as I can when making scrambled eggs or omelettes? While I don’t mind them in fried / over eggs, because they’re essentially invisible, I find them extremely unpalatable when doing scrambled or omelettes. :ohdear:

I've never once noticed them in any type of egg that I've eaten.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Seriously? You’ve never eaten scrambled eggs only to come across that pure-white glob in the middle of golden perfection? Are you straining the eggs before cooking or using a blender/mixer? I just use a fork or whisk and the white globs survive :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LongSack posted:

Seriously? You’ve never eaten scrambled eggs only to come across that pure-white glob in the middle of golden perfection? Are you straining the eggs before cooking or using a blender/mixer? I just use a fork or whisk and the white globs survive :(

If I've ever come across that, I must have considered it so unremarkable that I just never really gave it any thought. I usually use a fork to scramble my eggs.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

LongSack posted:

:negative:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The only time when I bother removing the chalazae is when I'm making french toast. Those little white boogers just interrupt my enjoyment, might as well spend the extra time prepping.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 19, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LongSack posted:

That's okay... so long as your spaghetti starts out four-feet-long.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, if you've never had it, potatoes cooked/roasted/fried in duck fat will rock your world.
We did potatoes fried in duck fat the other day and don't get me wrong, they were very good potatoes, but I've had stronger culinary epiphanies in my life. Does rubbing them with the fat and roasting in the oven bring it out more? Cause there's some left.

Also I still have a duck carcass and wings in the freezer, probably should get on doing something with that.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
If you have leftover duck meat and a duck carcass and duck fat make a duck gumbo for something that will also rock your world. I do shrimp andouille and duck when making duck gumbo. Or whatever it’s gumbo who cares I wish I could get those little crabs easily up north tho

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 19, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LongSack posted:

There Bias Two posted:

Me neither. I scramble an egg almost every morning, and the only time I've ever seen chalazae is when the word appears on my computer screen, in this thread.

LongSack posted:

There Bias Two posted:

If I've ever come across that, I must have considered it so unremarkable that I just never really gave it any thought. I usually use a fork to scramble my eggs.

There Bias Two is basically me for the purposes of this discussion. 100% agreement.

I find it extremely difficult and frustrating to remove anything from a cracked egg in a cup. Sometimes a bit of shell falls in there and getting that out is a loving pain in the rear end that I really don't need before I'm even caffeinated, so I'll just ignore it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Strain your eggs, I’m tellin ya!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Help!

I wanted to make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNgna9mZoa4

but can't seem to find pork shanks. Or veal shanks, which is how the dish is usually made. Is there a decent alternative? I'm guessing the bones are pretty important here but the only bony stuff I could find was ribs and a much larger joint

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My Lovely Horse posted:

We did potatoes fried in duck fat the other day and don't get me wrong, they were very good potatoes, but I've had stronger culinary epiphanies in my life. Does rubbing them with the fat and roasting in the oven bring it out more? Cause there's some left.

No, this is about right: once you can do decent roast potatoes, the type of fat makes small incremental differences, but the difference between good roast potatoes made with x fat vs. y fat is quite small.

We did a blind taste test a few years ago with several different fats, and the best potatoes in that came from beef dripping, with lard in second place. But neither of those fats have quite the trendy cache or expense of goose and duck, so they’re not very popular.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Pommes persillade made with duck fat is one of the great simple joys of life.

delitero
Jan 20, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi guys,
Since i love cooking i thought i should share one of the amazing recipe i cooked in the last 3 months, please check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOIHZpKyzMs. Amazing in cold winters along with a glass of red wine, enjoy!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Hi folks, is there a general gluten free thread here? I am a filthy coeliac and would love some recipe ideas.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
When you make a sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top, is there any way to keep the marshmallows from melting and disappearing? Should I use less butter or refrigerate the non-marshmallow part of the casserole before I bake it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Save the marshmallows until the last 5 minutes of baking?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Save the marshmallows until the last 5 minutes of baking?

I don't think that'd be enough time for them to get toasted.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Set the oven to broil.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

To clarify: the marshmallows aren't dissolving during or immediately after baking, it's after the casserole has set and cooled for a while. The longer it sits the worse it gets.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heat still melts sugar. And that's mostly what marshmallows are, especially commercial ones.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah there's no way around that. Unless you want to go through the trouble of making the casserole, letting it cool/settle, then topping with marshmallow and using a blowtorch to toast them immediately before serving?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks marshmallows on top of any kind of casserole is disgusting?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Am I the only one who thinks marshmallows on top of any kind of casserole is disgusting?

I'm right there with you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah there's no way around that. Unless you want to go through the trouble of making the casserole, letting it cool/settle, then topping with marshmallow and using a blowtorch to toast them immediately before serving?

That sounds badass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like my sweet potato casserole in every form. Brown sugar or no brown sugar, marshmallows or no marshmallows, pecans or no pecans, chunky or smooth. They're all good!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That sounds badass.

And don't use one of those trendy little butane torches with a 1mm flame, either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you're cooking in a glass casserole, be careful not to let the blowtorch fire too close to the glass unless you want crunchy sweet potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are you using mini marshmallows or large? Big box brand or ~bespoke 2 ingredient~?

Big box brand mini marshmallows are your best bet. Mini have more cornstarch coating per unit volume and big box brand has more stabilizers, so if anything will stay whole it's those ones.