Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I would actually love a low calorie food thread. The wife and I have been on a calorie-restricted diet, and it has been a fun challenge coming up with great tasting, low calorie food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Doom Rooster posted:

I would actually love a low calorie food thread. The wife and I have been on a calorie-restricted diet, and it has been a fun challenge coming up with great tasting, low calorie food.

This is what I was talking about actually, sorry for the controversy. I didn't know this was apparently a contested subject because I coulda sworn I'd seen it somewhere here before and I was just missing it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Healthy Cooking Megathread: Coffee and Wine are currently good for you, Bacon still gives you cancer.

Healthy Cooking Megathread: Have I told you about light cheeses?

Healthy Cooking Megathread: Its better than exercise...

Actually, I would also enjoy a thread with a healthy focus. If you make one, please link to it here so I don't forget to sub!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Oh, yeah, I think a low calorie thread would be pretty great. We might get some YLLS overflow that way too. A more general food nutrition thread would be incredible, but that's a pretty big topic and I feel like an effortpost OP would be more appropriate there.

Low Calorie Cooking: You can't outrun your diet, so outdiet your laziness instead!

Low Calorie Cooking: White flour is the actual devil

Low Calorie Cooking: Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels, except the stuff in this thread

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a fast way to dry out rice for fried rice so it doesn't stick together?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a fast way to dry out rice for fried rice so it doesn't stick together?

Spread it out thin and point a fan at it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Comedy option

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Spread it out on a parchment lined sheet tray and chuck it into the freezer

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I have a barbecue coming up in a few days and I was thinking of making this (amazing looking) Serious Eats recipe for Peruvian chicken sandwiches. The only problem is, that some of my guests are some of those annoying that can't eat cilantro because it tastes like soap, and unfortunately, cilantro is kind of a major part of the sauce. I was thinking of substituting parsley for the cilantro, but would that be acceptable or do I need to do something else entirely?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Looking at the other flavors going on, if I was in your shoes I would probably sub in mostly parsley with some dill to provide a similar bright top note to the cilantro. I think dill would probably work pretty well with the other stuff happening there.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I make that sauce all the time. It will still be tasty as hell with a non-cilantro green herb.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

I make that sauce all the time. It will still be tasty as hell with a non-cilantro green herb.

:420:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Leal posted:

Comedy option

A hairdryer actually works surprisingly well, as long as you are not stupid enough to use it on full power at very close range.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

A hairdryer actually works surprisingly well, as long as you are not stupid enough to use it on full power at very close range.

Comedy option: full power hairdryer on one side, open mouth on the other

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've found a $20 desk fan to be very helpful in the kitchen. Mostly for cooling things, but might be useful for drying out rice.

Real comedy answer: silica gel packets

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

oscarthewilde posted:

I have a barbecue coming up in a few days and I was thinking of making this (amazing looking) Serious Eats recipe for Peruvian chicken sandwiches. The only problem is, that some of my guests are some of those annoying that can't eat cilantro because it tastes like soap, and unfortunately, cilantro is kind of a major part of the sauce. I was thinking of substituting parsley for the cilantro, but would that be acceptable or do I need to do something else entirely?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-sandwiches-recipe.html

Don't tell them it has cilantro in it and wait for people to ask why it's so good.

I have to do this all the time with my SO's friends. "You know how Rachel says she hates mushrooms? Did you show her that picture of how much mushrooms I used in that dish that she loved lol"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's an rear end in a top hat move in general and it's not how cilantro works in particular.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bob Morales posted:

Don't tell them it has cilantro in it and wait for people to ask why it's so good.

There are people who have a gene that literally makes cilantro taste like soap. It’s not that they just “don’t like it”. Also you kinda seem like a smug rear end in a top hat. People are allowed to not like certain foods, and sneaking it into their meals is kinda hosed up

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
So I recent got a small cast iron pan back out of storage, got all the rust off, and I have it seasoned. But I've been trying to cook breakfast sausage patties on it to cook more flavor into it and can't seem to do it without them sticking to the pan. I tried cooking it two ways the first was putting them in a hot pan like I had seen on some videos, it's possible it wasn't hot enough but it did sizzle as soon as it hit. The other way was to put them into a cold pan and let them heat up with the cast iron so that fat rendered first. What am I doing wrong here?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Use more cooking fat until you build up your seasoning more.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

camoseven posted:

There are people who have a gene that literally makes cilantro taste like soap. It’s not that they just “don’t like it”. Also you kinda seem like a smug rear end in a top hat. People are allowed to not like certain foods, and sneaking it into their meals is kinda hosed up

That study was pretty poorly conducted. Have you read it? I don't agree with its findings.

That said, people can be picky if they want to be. I don't mind. I'll even accommodate it, within reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

camoseven posted:

It’s also like some trendy thing to say “I just can’t have cilantro it tastes like soap!”

Isn’t it some tiny percentage that have the actual gene? Just call it coriander and serve it up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's mostly Europeans so go get you some new friends to enjoy your Peruvian cuisine.

The problem largely comes from fresh leaves. If you muddle the leaves and let them sit out for a while or marinate the pungent odors will evaporate. Alternatively use culantro, found at any good Latino or Asian market.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My farmshare box for this week contained ramps, which I had never heard of until I picked up the box but are apparently kind of hard to come by? What would be some good ways to use these things?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm in an airbnb with animals for another week, and there's no room in the fridge.

Can I soak beans at room temperature without killing my are self?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C-Euro posted:

My farmshare box for this week contained ramps, which I had never heard of until I picked up the box but are apparently kind of hard to come by? What would be some good ways to use these things?

Use them as you would leeks or wild onions but eat the whole thing. Coat them in olive oil and grill, fry with chopped potatoes in bacon fat, stuff them into fish or chicken, wilt them and fill an omelette, fry with some eggs and mushrooms, or add extra flavor to beans and soup.

If you want a taste of the Appalachia then coat in buttermilk and flour then deep fry. Only good thing to come out of West Virginia.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

C-Euro posted:

It makes v. nice pesto.

http://www.foodireland.com/recipes/wild-garlic-pesto/

fake edit: I thought ramps was identical to wild garlic or ramsons, but they are two different alliums - I'd still try making pesto out of it though, if you have a lot to use up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soap taste for cilantro is a real thing and not incredibly rare. If you give it knowingly to someone trying to avoid it you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have never been more grateful of anything in my life than the fact that I don’t find coriander to taste like soap. I eat so much Asian foods and cook with fresh coriander leaves, stems, roots and the seeds a lot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Zenithe posted:

I'm in an airbnb with animals for another week, and there's no room in the fridge.

Yes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That study was pretty poorly conducted. Have you read it? I don't agree with its findings.

That said, people can be picky if they want to be. I don't mind. I'll even accommodate it, within reason.

Which study?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zenithe posted:

We've done this and didn't die, but be prepared that the beans may stink a bit. Didn't affect the taste after rinsing, but I wasn't used to the beans doing the farting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I'm fairly certain people have been soaking dried beans without refrigeration for thousands of years just fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HatchetDown posted:

So I recent got a small cast iron pan back out of storage, got all the rust off, and I have it seasoned. But I've been trying to cook breakfast sausage patties on it to cook more flavor into it and can't seem to do it without them sticking to the pan. I tried cooking it two ways the first was putting them in a hot pan like I had seen on some videos, it's possible it wasn't hot enough but it did sizzle as soon as it hit. The other way was to put them into a cold pan and let them heat up with the cast iron so that fat rendered first. What am I doing wrong here?

Two things - add extra high-heat oil to the pan, and give the sausage time to release from the pan before trying to flip them. After a decent enough crust forms on the sausage, it should release even if you have a non-cast-iron pan. I recommend sunflower oil, since it is flavor-neutral, polymerizes nicely, and has a high smoke point.

spankmeister posted:

Use more cooking fat until you build up your seasoning more.

This will work to some degree, but there is a better way, if you can spare the :effort:

"Just cook on it" AKA grandpa's method will get you something that works decently for cooking meats, but it'll be far from true non-stick, it'll be fragile (soap will destroy it), and everything you cook on it will taste like bacon (mostly a good thing, sometimes not). Don't try to cook anything delicate or particularly sticky in it. If that's fine with you, keep cooking, gingerly scrub it, never use soap, and treat it like gramps used to: add more oil and grease on top of the old stuff. If your pan is oily, you'll get a bit of nonstickness, but it's a much nicer experience with "real" seasoning:

Real seasoning is polymerized oil, which has bonded with your pan to the point that scrubbing hard with soap doesn't damage it. You should be able to wipe a dry cast iron pan with a napkin and your napkin should come off 100% clean, no oil or crud. From the cast iron thread OP:

Bob Saget IRL posted:

It’s cast iron. It’s a metal that’s been used to conquer peoples and forge empires. You’re not going to destroy it on your stove, grill or campfire. You may screw up the seasoning, but chances are, you will only ruin what wasn’t really any real seasoning anyway. Why? Because you don’t wash your pan.

Wash your pan? Yes, wash it. My laymen’s way of explaining is: the fats that stick to the pan, will stick to the pan. A good, quick wash with a thick thistle plastic brush and soap will not take off seasoning. What does come off was not polymerized, and is not seasoning.
I’ve done the whole coarse salt and heat and oil thing, and it works to a point, but seemed to take more time and effort after more uses of the pan. Washing like a normal dish has provided the best results. But, drying is an additional step worth taking.

DO NOT SOAK YOUR PAN, OR LET WATER REST ON IT. Rust is bad, Mmmmkay. After you wash it, dry it well with paper towels. Put it back on the stove over a med-low heat, and let the heat take out the rest of the moisture. Once it’s thoroughly dry, sprinkle a bit of vegetable oil (or oil with a higher smoke point [olive oil is not a good oil for this]), and wipe it all over the pan until it’s just about dry. It’s oil, so you’re are not going to be able to wipe it all out, and that’s the goal. Do the inside, handle and underside; whatever oil you can’t wipe out is the perfect amount to leave. You don’t want to leave excess oil in the pan, because it starts to get sticky and catch dust and what have you. The tiny bit of oil you leave, you want to polymerize. Leave it on the stove until it starts to smoke. Just when it starts to smoke, turn the heat off {this is why I use med-low heat, because you don’t have to be very mindful).

(I added bolding to that last bit)

It's a lovely thing to be able to scrub a pan with cast iron and soap with impunity, and to not have rancid old oil in my pan. Bacon fat is good for flavoring, but I can easily add some from the jar in my fridge if I need it.

Here's my testimonial:

Back when I used grampa's method:

Looks okay, right?
Close-up:

It was messy, it wasn't really non-stick, and it smoked excessively.

Jan 2017, right after I wiped it to bare metal and re-seasoned:

Same pan, Jan 2018:

This method works great. I recommend it for all cast iron and carbon steel pans!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That Works posted:

Which study?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1209.2096
Set 1: ~15000 people who reported whether cilantro tastes soapy
Set 2: ~12000 people who reported whether they like cilantro

Findings: there appears to be a correlation between OR6A2 and a soapy smell to cilantro

1) The study was conducted with an online questionnaire (two questions); soapy tasters may self-select
2) Significantly more people dislike cilantro than taste soap; people who don't like cilantro are, therefore, usually just picky bitches

2 is the important one. Disliking cilantro and thinking it tastes soapy aren't necessarily related - and even if they are, it's a pretty small percentage of the population that thinks cilantro does taste soapy.

Further reinforcement:
https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-1-8
More East Asians than Europeans dislike cilantro, which doesn't track with the fact that Europeans and Ashkenazi Jews have the highest occurrence of tasting it as soapy.

https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/37/9/869/327642
This study only includes 286 twin-pairs, and tests for cilantro preference, not soapy taste

https://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398 :
Eriksson, who despised coriander when he first tasted the herb but now grows it in his garden, says that nearly half of Europeans have two copies of the 'soapy' variant, and of those, 15.3% said coriander tasted of soap. For comparison, 13% of Europeans had no copies of this variant, and in this group, only 11.5% of them reported the soapy taste.

(bolding for emphasis is mine)

To summarize that last paragraph in plainer language:
15.3% of Europeans with two copies of the soapy-tasting gene report coriander tasting like soap
11.5% of Europeans with no copies of the soapy-tasting gene report coriander tasting like soap

But coriander-haters — including the nearly 4,000 registered members of IHateCilantro.com — should not be in any rush to have their genomes analysed. Eriksson and his team calculate that less than 10% of coriander preference is due to common genetic variants. “It is possible that the heritability of cilantro preference is just rather low,” they say.

So, yes, there are some people who think cilantro tastes like soap because they have bad genes. Sorry, rare people! Most of the people who dislike cilantro are just picky eaters.

Soapy cilantro is basically a meme like gluten intolerance. Get over your palate and eat a food.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 19, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My hero.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Most of the people who dislike cilantro are just picky eaters.

Soapy cilantro is basically a meme like gluten intolerance. Get over your palate and eat a food.

This would make the people who are just picky and claim an intolerance for it assholes. Does not make people trying to disguise it to serve it to them unknowingly any less of an rear end in a top hat.

Fake 'gluten-sensitive' people piss me off a lot and I've had to cook for them before only to find out later they were lying (ex when they were drinking hefeweisen with me in the backyard 2 hours later). But, I'm not going to cook something knowingly with gluten (or cilantro) for someone who I don't know with 100% certainty isn't actually at issue with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That Works posted:

This would make the people who are just picky and claim an intolerance for it assholes. Does not make people trying to disguise it to serve it to them unknowingly any less of an rear end in a top hat.

Fake 'gluten-sensitive' people piss me off a lot and I've had to cook for them before only to find out later they were lying (ex when they were drinking hefeweisen with me in the backyard 2 hours later). But, I'm not going to cook something knowingly with gluten (or cilantro) for someone who I don't know with 100% certainty isn't actually at issue with it.

I agree, and you ignored the part where I agreed when you asked me what study, so I only answered your actual question

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I agree, and you ignored the part where I agreed when you asked me what study, so I only answered your actual question

I didn't ignore it, you answered the question and there was no disagreement with it. I had read the same papers before and was curious which you were referring to. :shobon:

I agree, they tested for 'did not like/ unpleasant association' more than 'tasted soap'. I think we both agree the minority of people who claim the condition actually have the condition. I just really dislike the assertion (from others, not you) that you should just slip some old potential allergens into the food because people need to suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I have to do this all the time with my SO's friends. "You know how Rachel says she hates mushrooms? Did you show her that picture of how much mushrooms I used in that dish that she loved lol"

Won't lie, as a bit of a picky eater, I've been got with this sort of thing, but I imagine a lot of the time with mushrooms it's more of an appearance/texture thing - a lot of things are just gonna taste better cooked into other things.

Baking idiot question: I got some brownie mix that calls for an 8in square pan - the only baking pan I currently have is something like 9x12 - is this going to be manageable? The mix is going to create a less deep brownie, so do I just bake for less time?