Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zenithe posted:

Where did you get that many free onions?

I think they fell off a truck. Literally, not figuratively. Was taking my daughter to a class and they were laying in the road, no one around.

They were so pungent I had to move them outside. The ones I cut up were fine but collectively they smelled strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

I wasn't able to find a smoker thread (weird?) but I'm looking at picking up the Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker via Ebay with a 15% off coupon ($145 shipped.) Reviews say it's a pretty good smoker, with one complaint being that if the ambient temp is above 80 degrees F, sometimes the heating element won't kick on (it appears there are workarounds for this though.)

Does anyone have one, and would they recommend it?

Here's the smoking thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

The MES is great though. I've never encountered the issue you mentioned, or any others save the heating element finally burning out after 6+years on my first one. I bought another one a year ago and it's going strong. Highly, highly recommend getting the 40" instead of the 30" though. It easily fits more than twice the amount of meat in it. This is especially a problem for "low food density" stuff like ribs, or doing a bigass batch of bacon to slice and freeze. I don't need that space often, but when I do, it is completely necessary.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Here's the smoking thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

The MES is great though. I've never encountered the issue you mentioned, or any others save the heating element finally burning out after 6+years on my first one. I bought another one a year ago and it's going strong. Highly, highly recommend getting the 40" instead of the 30" though. It easily fits more than twice the amount of meat in it. This is especially a problem for "low food density" stuff like ribs, or doing a bigass batch of bacon to slice and freeze. I don't need that space often, but when I do, it is completely necessary.

Ah - thanks. I was searching for "Smoker," so that explains why I couldn't find the thread.

I don't ever anticipate doing that much at any given time, so a 40" would likely be overkill. I'll keep it in mind though - thanks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My sister baked a cake with buttercream frosting on Sunday. If it was left out at room temperature, OK to eat today, a Tuesday?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If nobody is immunocompromised: would

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/food/2015/03/18/cake-can-sit-out-despite-butter-milk-in-frosting.html

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Where do you live? Scotland, you’re probably fine, Bermuda less so

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never refrigerate buttercream. It’s butter and a shotload of sugar. It’s fine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wormil posted:

I think they fell off a truck. Literally, not figuratively. Was taking my daughter to a class and they were laying in the road, no one around.

They were so pungent I had to move them outside. The ones I cut up were fine but collectively they smelled strong.

Like just a loose pile of onions sitting around? How odd.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Today I attempted to slow barbecue a rack of ribs. process-wise, everything went fine, but timing was an issue. They are taking a lot longer than I had anticipated. So, I'm wondering if things will be OK if I par cook them and finish them tomorrow for dinner instead. For this task, I've got a gas oven, and I've got a charcoal grill. I'd prefer to use the oven if possible, as that's more set-and-forget than having to prep the grill for 20 minutes, then put the ribs back on, then check temp every half hour, add more charcoal, adjust vents, etc etc., for what should be the last 30-60 minutes of cooking. Would I be fine setting the oven to, say, 250 or 300 and using a probe thermometer to get the ribs up to temp, and then give it a bit of char under the broiler? Or should I stick to the grill even though it's more work? Or does it matter?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got some sliced turkey breast chunky pieces, planning on frying them and throwing some spices in and then having it with rice. Is it going to be ridiculously dry and tough if I do that? or is turkey breast not too bad?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

neogeo0823 posted:

Today I attempted to slow barbecue a rack of ribs. process-wise, everything went fine, but timing was an issue. They are taking a lot longer than I had anticipated. So, I'm wondering if things will be OK if I par cook them and finish them tomorrow for dinner instead. For this task, I've got a gas oven, and I've got a charcoal grill. I'd prefer to use the oven if possible, as that's more set-and-forget than having to prep the grill for 20 minutes, then put the ribs back on, then check temp every half hour, add more charcoal, adjust vents, etc etc., for what should be the last 30-60 minutes of cooking. Would I be fine setting the oven to, say, 250 or 300 and using a probe thermometer to get the ribs up to temp, and then give it a bit of char under the broiler? Or should I stick to the grill even though it's more work? Or does it matter?
I do oven ribs a lot (I have no outdoor space, so no smoker or grill). Yes, you can do low & slow in the oven, then broil them to finish. Of course there's no smoke ring, but it tastes p good, especially if you add a little liquid smoke. Throwing them on a hot grill would be even better to finish, but obviously more hassle. Either way, if you want to parcook, you can fridge them after the low & slow, and just continue tomorrow.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Qubee posted:

I've got some sliced turkey breast chunky pieces, planning on frying them and throwing some spices in and then having it with rice. Is it going to be ridiculously dry and tough if I do that? or is turkey breast not too bad?

If it's already cooked it'll probably be dry if you fry it. Probably worth a try just for the report. Turkey breast is notoriously dry.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

Could you make some sort of sauce first and then add the cooked turkey at the end just to heat it up. That might keep it moister and a bit more appetising.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anne Whateley posted:

I do oven ribs a lot (I have no outdoor space, so no smoker or grill). Yes, you can do low & slow in the oven, then broil them to finish. Of course there's no smoke ring, but it tastes p good, especially if you add a little liquid smoke. Throwing them on a hot grill would be even better to finish, but obviously more hassle. Either way, if you want to parcook, you can fridge them after the low & slow, and just continue tomorrow.

Yeah, that's the plan then. I did the low and slow on the grill today, just didn't get to finish them. I had a bit of meat from the bone side of the rib that I trimmed, but grilled anyway. Sampling that as I took the ribs off the grill, it was amazing, so the rib rub and smoke from the grill definitely got in there. I'll do the low reheat tomorrow in the oven and finish in the broiler for a minute or two to just crisp the outside and report back.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

If it's already cooked it'll probably be dry if you fry it. Probably worth a try just for the report. Turkey breast is notoriously dry.

It's all raw, and yeah I've heard it's ridiculously dry, I don't like the thought of eating hunks of rubber.

Helith posted:

Could you make some sort of sauce first and then add the cooked turkey at the end just to heat it up. That might keep it moister and a bit more appetising.

This is definitely a good shout, a sauce would be nicer with rice as well. How long would I be cooking the turkey? Or am I frying it beforehand, then adding it to the sauce to hopefully have it suck up some moisture for 5-10 minutes?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anyone use a lucky iron fish when cooking? I don't really eat soup all that often, so I don't know if I should grab it or just buy a cast iron pan. I'm mildly anemic, but I don't tolerate supplements well. :(

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Qubee posted:

It's all raw, and yeah I've heard it's ridiculously dry, I don't like the thought of eating hunks of rubber.

This is definitely a good shout, a sauce would be nicer with rice as well. How long would I be cooking the turkey? Or am I frying it beforehand, then adding it to the sauce to hopefully have it suck up some moisture for 5-10 minutes?

Nice. If it's raw just fry it off quickly. Sounds like you're trying a katsu type thing? Pound it out to 1/4" cutlets if it's not already that thin, bread and and fry it off quickly to keep it from getting too dry. Med highish heat to brown it fast without overdoing g it. That's what I'd try anyway. You could brine it beforehand if you got time and you wanna get crazy.

Helith's suggestion is also good. I think he was anticipating it was already cooked, but your cook time since it's raw would depend on how big your chunks are. Also it's not going to suck up moisture but you can try to keep it from drying out by not cooking it for too long. The reason breast is known as being dry is because people are generally incompetent at cooking whole turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nice. If it's raw just fry it off quickly. Sounds like you're trying a katsu type thing? Pound it out to 1/4" cutlets if it's not already that thin, bread and and fry it off quickly to keep it from getting too dry. Med highish heat to brown it fast without overdoing g it. That's what I'd try anyway. You could brine it beforehand if you got time and you wanna get crazy.

Helith's suggestion is also good. I think he was anticipating it was already cooked, but your cook time since it's raw would depend on how big your chunks are. Also it's not going to suck up moisture but you can try to keep it from drying out by not cooking it for too long. The reason breast is known as being dry is because people are generally incompetent at cooking whole turkeys at Thanksgiving.

I'd love to make katsu but I don't have panko breadcrumbs. I'm literally just planning on throwing together a real quick and easy meal, but was worried turkey would end up too rubbery and dry. I'll pound out the cutlets if they're thick, that way I can fry them quicker and not risk drying them out. I might brine them, just sit them in saltwater for an hour or so, right?

Thanks for all the help!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Qubee posted:

I'd love to make katsu but I don't have panko breadcrumbs. I'm literally just planning on throwing together a real quick and easy meal, but was worried turkey would end up too rubbery and dry. I'll pound out the cutlets if they're thick, that way I can fry them quicker and not risk drying them out. I might brine them, just sit them in saltwater for an hour or so, right?

Thanks for all the help!

Yeah, salty water with optional spices. I don't think it'd make a huge difference. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be edible and fine.

Jyrraeth posted:

Anyone use a lucky iron fish when cooking? I don't really eat soup all that often, so I don't know if I should grab it or just buy a cast iron pan. I'm mildly anemic, but I don't tolerate supplements well. :(

I dont think floating sinking an iron slug in your food is going to provide nutritional iron. Maybe eat more spinach.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 24, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I did think your turkey was already cooked leftovers, it being raw turkey gives you way more options.
You could cut it up into strips and make a really quick stir fry with it. Depends what you have in your pantry and fridge as to what you chuck in the pan with it. Oyster sauce and soy with a bit of shaoxing make for a good combo. If you have a Thai or Indian curry paste you could pair that coconut milk or tinned tomatoes with Indian curry paste for example.
You would heat oil first then brown the turkey, add vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes to soften, add sauce stuff and cook for another couple of minutes. If you are using a paste add the paste first and fry it until fragrant then add meat followed by veg and the liquid component last.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

I dont think floating sinking an iron slug in your food is going to provide nutritional iron. Maybe eat more spinach.
I'm pretty sure it has really solid scientific backing, but if you don't do something involving boiling it water like 5 times a week it's not really going to be super worth it. I don't think the cast iron pan will do it, especially once you get a decent seasoning on there.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Helith posted:

I did think your turkey was already cooked leftovers, it being raw turkey gives you way more options.
You could cut it up into strips and make a really quick stir fry with it. Depends what you have in your pantry and fridge as to what you chuck in the pan with it. Oyster sauce and soy with a bit of shaoxing make for a good combo. If you have a Thai or Indian curry paste you could pair that coconut milk or tinned tomatoes with Indian curry paste for example.
You would heat oil first then brown the turkey, add vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes to soften, add sauce stuff and cook for another couple of minutes. If you are using a paste add the paste first and fry it until fragrant then add meat followed by veg and the liquid component last.

You can improve your Thai curry by about a million times by changing the order of your steps. This might work with jarred Indian curries, but I can't confirm since I have all the spices on hand so I just make Indian food from scratch.

1. Heat oil over medium high heat, then fry the paste until it changes shades twice.
2. Add the cream you scoop off the top of the jar of coconut milk. Don't shake the can, and try to find a brand with as few ingredients as possible. Some markets sell fresh coconut milk in the freezer, and it's really tasty, but I like to keep a few cans of Chao Koh on hand.
3. Cook this mixture, stirring constantly, until the coconut milk "splits" and the oil comes out. Keep going for just a minute longer.
4. Add seared meat and vegetables in order, along with the remaining coconut milk.

Splitting the coconut cream is an important step. Once you do it, you'll never go back to just dumping in a shaken can. It does reduce the amount of liquid by a tiny bit, but you can just add chicken stock if you like a soupier curry.

Make sure to season heavily at the end. I use lime juice, lemon juice, salt, palm sugar, chili infused oil, Red Boat fish sauce (buy this brand!), and Kimlan soy sauce. Keep adding one flavor element or another until it's perfect and intense. Salt, heat, citrus, umami, and sweetness all have to be in balance. A little bitterness can be really nice too, but I add it in the paste in the form of makrut lime leaves. A little ginger stirred in at the end can do wonders, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 24, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Eeyo posted:

Like just a loose pile of onions sitting around? How odd.

Two 50lb sacks laying in the street. I sorted out all the bruised onions, peeled, chopped, bagged, and froze them; it was five gallons worth. Then I gave five neighbors a half dozen each. I've sauteed an onion for dinner two nights because I'm a freak that loves onions. I caramelized 1 big onion just for a snack. I have about 35-40 lbs left. And everyone thinks I'm a weirdo for picking up a 100 lbs of onions off the street. But I really love eating onions. I wish I had a better place to keep them than the back deck.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I would seriously just make huge batches of caramelized onions with the rest. Not only do they cook way down into a tiny fraction of volume of the raw onions, but you can freeze them and use them in everything. The texture will already be super soft from the cooking process so you can freeze with abandon.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 24, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

wormil, you love of onions is inspiring and helps me strive to be a better person

can you pickle onions?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvLA-egmWA something like that but even heavier on the onions

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Qubee posted:

Can you pickle onions?

You sure can :britain:

https://www.sarsons.co.uk/recipes/pickled-onions

Great in a cheese sarnie. You want small onions for it though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make onion marmalade, it’s amazing

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Pickled onions are also really good in pasta salads and on the leafy kind of salads.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I might try some of these ideas. I have the onions, why not. Onion marmalade, mmm.

Edit, also now want to make geardinoeara whatever, relish.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 24, 2018

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Allstone posted:

I'm pretty sure it has really solid scientific backing, but if you don't do something involving boiling it water like 5 times a week it's not really going to be super worth it. I don't think the cast iron pan will do it, especially once you get a decent seasoning on there.

That's what I figured. It works for people who eat rice and stews/soups most days, while I usually fry/roast veggies and meat. The internet is full of weak anecdotal evidence for how effective it is for someone with clean water and 24/7 access to liver and beef.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are dried fava beans supposed to smell really bad when you are cooking them? Beans often smell a bit funky to me but this was different.

The dish tasted nothing like the smell.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Are dried fava beans supposed to smell really bad when you are cooking them? Beans often smell a bit funky to me but this was different.

The dish tasted nothing like the smell.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "really bad," but favas have a particular smell different from most other beans. Did they taste good?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Yeah, tasted fine, although most of that was the spices. Nothing I tasted resembled the smell.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

1. Heat oil over medium high heat, then fry the paste until it changes shades twice.

What does changing shades twice mean? Like green->???->brownish? Red->???->not red?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

What does changing shades twice mean? Like green->???->brownish? Red->???->not red?

It'll darken a little bit right away and then stop for a minute or two while more of the excess water is cooked out. When it darkens again and smells cooked instead of just not raw, you're done.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How to make sirloin steak tender?

When I make steak at home, it's always ribeye and always a reverse sear (250 in the oven until it reaches temp, then a few seconds in a super hot pan). I'm not very good at it. The ribeyes come out decent but not great.

I bought some sirloin steaks from Whole Foods because they were on sale. I don't like sirloin steaks because they're often tough and flavorless (no fat). But I want to make a steak dinner for my wife. How can I make them decently tender?

I don't have a grill, or a sous vide machine. Should I dry brine them? Pound them with a mallet? Pressure cook them? What do you suggest?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Charcuterie question. I'm still catching up with the charcuterie thread. Maybe someone here can answer my question:

Pancetta. Recipes say to hang out in a dark area that 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. We live in south Florida, where the temps drop to 60 degrees one or two nights in January. Our condo stays between 75 and 80 degrees. Our refrigerator is 35 degrees. Are either of those conducive to hanging meats? Or am I screwed?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bagheera posted:

How to make sirloin steak tender?

When I make steak at home, it's always ribeye and always a reverse sear (250 in the oven until it reaches temp, then a few seconds in a super hot pan). I'm not very good at it. The ribeyes come out decent but not great.

I bought some sirloin steaks from Whole Foods because they were on sale. I don't like sirloin steaks because they're often tough and flavorless (no fat). But I want to make a steak dinner for my wife. How can I make them decently tender?

I don't have a grill, or a sous vide machine. Should I dry brine them? Pound them with a mallet? Pressure cook them? What do you suggest?

I like Chaliapin steak for tougher cuts of steak, just make sure both of you like onions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bagheera posted:

Charcuterie question. I'm still catching up with the charcuterie thread. Maybe someone here can answer my question:

Pancetta. Recipes say to hang out in a dark area that 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. We live in south Florida, where the temps drop to 60 degrees one or two nights in January. Our condo stays between 75 and 80 degrees. Our refrigerator is 35 degrees. Are either of those conducive to hanging meats? Or am I screwed?

Florida here too, I hung mine in a cool pantry that had an AC vent, with a fan pointed at the meat, kept a drip pan under it, and inspected it every day for signs of gross. I also kept mine very well salted. It worked ok, it was a fun experiment, tasted fine, but was a pain in the rear end. If I were to do it again on a larger scale, I would invest in a second hand wine fridge, and make that my charcuterie locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Y'all have any recommended pork loin recipes that can be done either on stovetop or in a slow cooker? Our oven is a piece of poo poo and we don't have access to a grill.
I've done some super basic ones, but it seems like a lot of recipes when I search for pork loin ideas require finishing in an oven.