Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

sterster posted:

Perhaps you could do something like Broccoli mash potatoes to sneak in some veggies.

I feel like colcannon is king of the "vegetables at any cost" vein of cooking.

Maybe I'll try to make it next St. Patrick's Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Hey y'all, quick question: How do you guys tend to season a cheesesteak? I started out using a spice combo that's kind of a go-to for me (cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, salt and cracked pepper) but a lot of recipes I've seen call for just using salt and pepper. I've done it a couple times and it's been good, but I was curious to see what other people think.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use oregano, lemon pepper, and garlic salt. Your blend sounds pretty good, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cumin, paprika, pepper and garlic salt, but I am prepared to admit that’s inauthentic

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't we have an instant pot thread?

VV Thank you

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Didn't we have an instant pot thread?

There’s a pressure cooker thread that is basically an instant pot thread now because instant pots made pressure cookers cool again by putting a bunch of extra buttons on that no actually uses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Unrelated to the last question but I just returned some pork as it was getting grey all over. Not just the top but the underside and all sides. My replacement pork... also had some gray, where the 2 chunks touched. Is this going to kill me?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s fine. The gray i believe is because the myoglobin in those areas was without oxygen (someone sciency can correct me). The other piece was likely fine too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If it doesn't smell bad and it's not overly slimy you're pretty likely safe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It would naturally be gray or brown, but they deliberately make it pinker because people thought that looked fresher. By now the unnatural color has been the norm for so long that that's what you expect. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/04/dining/04curi.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Scientastic posted:

Cumin, paprika, pepper and garlic salt, but I am prepared to admit that’s inauthentic

I made some wicked "steak and cheese" sandwiches the other day. Flat iron steak cooked rare, thinly sliced, then I cooked those slices in a little oil with salt and pepper, put them on bolillo rolls from the Kroger bakery with mayonnaise and havarti cheese. Now that is inauthentic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bob Morales posted:

I made some wicked "steak and cheese" sandwiches the other day. Flat iron steak cooked rare, thinly sliced, then I cooked those slices in a little oil with salt and pepper, put them on bolillo rolls from the Kroger bakery with mayonnaise and havarti cheese. Now that is inauthentic.
That's a pepito.

Not kidding.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Can I get some ideas for what to make with 4 lbs of fresh plums?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Olive! posted:

Can I get some ideas for what to make with 4 lbs of fresh plums?

Jam. Tarte tatin, but with plums. Clafouti. Compote. Pie. Cake. Soup with beets and cabbage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone recommend some decent tupperware containers? I'm tired of getting the one-use ones (I recycle them, but I still feel bad). I've got a hodgepodge of too big or too small containers, and I feel like binning all the small ones and just buying a tonne of medium ones. Something that's perfectly sized for me to portion out a big lunch / leftovers.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Qubee posted:

Can someone recommend some decent tupperware containers? I'm tired of getting the one-use ones (I recycle them, but I still feel bad). I've got a hodgepodge of too big or too small containers, and I feel like binning all the small ones and just buying a tonne of medium ones. Something that's perfectly sized for me to portion out a big lunch / leftovers.

Lock & Lock are pretty good but on sale they only come in kits of one-of-each-type.
https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Water-Tight-Containers-22-Piece/dp/B06XHZFY33

If you're looking for cheap and durable portion containers I'm having pretty good luck with these glass containers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y31WGWR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Downside is they don't stack nicely and the plastic tops are brittle when frozen. Don't drop 'em. Labels say don't machine wash the lids but I top-rack mine with heated dry and they're warped but perfectly functional.

e: don't buy these!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0FE59Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lids aren't vented, they break easily, and the stupid plasticware compartment is a huge pain in the rear end.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 23, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Qubee posted:

decent tupperware containers?

Rubbermaid.

Ziplock used to sell nice containers with screw caps but I haven't seen them in awhile. Their snap on lids suck.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Delitainers aka Chinese soup containers. Stockpile them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

moller posted:

Get the freezer kind

Qubee
May 31, 2013

moller posted:

Are those easy to wash?

Lock and Lock are what I'm used to, but god are the lids a pain in the rear end to wash. The rubbermaid glass ones seem the easiest to wash, but I don't know if they're sold in the UK. The one-time use plastic containers I've been buying, they're hard to reuse because they're so flimsy, so trying to wash them is a pain in the rear end, and whatever food I stored it in (especially if it was saucy heavy) gets wedged between the lid indentation bit which is hard to clean properly.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Rubbermaid with Easy-find lids. They make a cheaper “take along” style that’s not much better than any glassware crap.

Rubbermaid Easy Find Lids 42-Piece Food Storage Container Set, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COK3FD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LmLlBb5KS12T8

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I used to have a GF who would horde slightly different types of those rubbermaid style containers and few things are more infuriating to me now than digging through a pile of slightly-different red lids to find - not only a lid of the approximate size and shape of the container I've got - but also the particular sub-shade of red that I'm supposed to know is paired with one of three or four slightly-different lip-types on a container. Some lid types fit on other container types but would leak all over your lunchbox/car/pants/whatever.

She kept all the lids in a straw hat-turned-bowl on a pantry shelf that would tip the gently caress over and spill everything onto the floor very frequently.

She was cool otherwise but that was one thing that drove me goddamn nuts. I'm sensitive about containers now and I only keep two distinct box sizes with easy to ID lids.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’ve got a huge collection of Pyrex ones because a) they don’t taste like dish soap for all eternity once they’ve been run through the dishwasher and b) all the lids are color coded to whatever style they fit.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
A local place sells a cookie mix and I'm wondering if anyone knows about what the recipe is. I want to re-make it but cut back on some of the sugar.

The mix ingredients are sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. To it, you add egg whites, mix for a few minutes, and then bake slightly flattened golf-ball-sized scoops at 350 for 13 minutes, lowering the oven to 325 as soon as you put them in.

When they come out, the centers come out looking almost raw, but after sitting for about half an hour they seem to set up fine.

Any ideas?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

A local place sells a cookie mix and I'm wondering if anyone knows about what the recipe is. I want to re-make it but cut back on some of the sugar.

The mix ingredients are sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. To it, you add egg whites, mix for a few minutes, and then bake slightly flattened golf-ball-sized scoops at 350 for 13 minutes, lowering the oven to 325 as soon as you put them in.

When they come out, the centers come out looking almost raw, but after sitting for about half an hour they seem to set up fine.

Any ideas?

No flour? Odd. I can't help you with the recipe, I don't really do cookies very often and that list of ingredients is pretty unusual.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any ideas?

Sounds like meringues. Plenty of variations on those. My basic meringue is 1/3c sugar per egg white, beaten almost to stiff peaks before incorporation, keep going until it turns glossy, then scoop and put into a 350 degree oven, turn off the oven, and wait until room temperature.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s not a meringue, it’s a chewy chocolate cookie. There’s no beating the egg whites, it all gets mixed together in a batter.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oh, weird. I dunno! I've had luck asking local places for their recipes, I guess that's worth a try.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh, I do actually know that one. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-fudge-cookies-recipe

Love these things, I bake them all the time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can I freeze fresh basil if I plan to use it to flavor marinara and discard it when the sauce is finished?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Human Tornada posted:

Can I freeze fresh basil if I plan to use it to flavor marinara and discard it when the sauce is finished?

Freeze it in cubes of olive oil and just chuck in as many cubes as you need.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what should one look out for when choosing to buy a pressure cooker?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

what should one look out for when choosing to buy a pressure cooker?

Get an instant pot imo. Pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker and more.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

We recently hosted some friends from out of town, and as a thank you they gave us a bottle of wine. I do not drink and my girlfriend does not drink wine, so I plan to use it to cook. However, every recipe I know calls for a red or a dry white, and this is a semisweet white. Does anyone have some good ideally pescatarian recipes for such?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's a good side dish to go with grilled fish? I want to do something better than potato/grilled vegetables.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Wild rice or pilaf is great. And depending on the type of fish so is mac and cheese.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good side dish to go with grilled fish? I want to do something better than potato/grilled vegetables.

Lettuce for wraps with pickled daikon and sambal and nuoc cham and cilantro

Edit: I also really like some sticky coconut rice on the side.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bluedeanie posted:

We recently hosted some friends from out of town, and as a thank you they gave us a bottle of wine. I do not drink and my girlfriend does not drink wine, so I plan to use it to cook. However, every recipe I know calls for a red or a dry white, and this is a semisweet white. Does anyone have some good ideally pescatarian recipes for such?

This is probably sacrilege but I will use literally any wine to make risotto. If it's sweeter maybe go with butternut squash cubes tossed in or something so the sweetness doesn't seem too out of place.

(Red wine risotto turns everything purple and it's really fun to eat!)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Scallops go well with a sweeter white wine, and with risotto. Maybe some leeks and asparagus too.

Otherwise, I always use a sweeter white wine for gumbo. Can't go too dry, it won't be as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Poach some pears in it