Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Annath posted:

I once fully cooked the turkey with the bag of giblets in it.

Before cooking, I searched inside for the giblets, and couldn't find it. There was still ice inside, but i dug around and scratched and pulled and just couldn't find it. I assumed it'd accidentally just not been included when it was packaged.

After cooking, went to carve it, and discovered that the bag if giblets wasn't inserted into the large opening at the back of the bird; instead it had been stuffed into the small opening at the front/top and covered over with the hanging skin. :saddowns:

Don't feel bad, I have made that exact same mistake with the giblets being stuffed where you least expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Opted to post this here in lieu of the holiday thread:

I have 3 lbs of unsalted mixed nuts and plan to season/roast them as a Thanksgiving app or whatever. I tried the Grill Bitch's Bar Nuts recipe from Bourdain's "Appetites" but would prefer something savory over sweet.

Any suggestions?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm not sure of the nuts to sugar ratio but I'm guessing you could make about 5lb of mixed nut brittle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think you misread "savory over sweet", not sure brittle fits the bill 😉

My wife and I love "Viv's Addiction" spiced nuts. (scroll down)

They're a mix of savory and sweet, but definitely lean to the savory side. They're always our go-to if we have too many leftover egg whites from other recipes. You can make them ahead of time, too. They'll last a couple weeks if they're sealed well against moisture, or indefinitely in a good freezer.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oh yeah, that sounds good, and I happen to have ground chipotle at the moment.

The directions call for coriander, but it's not listed in the ingredients — what do you figure, a tablespoon?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BrianBoitano posted:

I think you misread "savory over sweet", not sure brittle fits the bill 😉

gently caress, thought he wanted the sweet.

OK so make brittle but replace the sugar with salt. Ta-da.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Real Name Grover posted:

Oh yeah, that sounds good, and I happen to have ground chipotle at the moment.

The directions call for coriander, but it's not listed in the ingredients — what do you figure, a tablespoon?

It's listed correctly in the cookbook, here you go

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This recipe looks amazing but does anyone know what the flour is for? https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Recipe" posted:

"Meanwhile, make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add the [b]flour,[b] salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and whisk until smooth."

All it's gonna do is firm it up a little more. It'll be a little more pasty, instead of custardy.

Fake edit: Actually, I bet it's mainly in there as insurance for novice cooks overbaking. I'd bet that having the flour in there would keep the filling from going scrambled eggy/grainy.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

This recipe looks amazing but does anyone know what the flour is for? https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

Looks like just to thicken the filling:

quote:

Meanwhile, make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining 3 eggs and egg yolks and whisk until combined. Add the cream, milk, vanilla and brandy and whisk until smooth. Pour the filling into the cooled piecrust.

edit: whoops dunno why I didn't see it had already been answered

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

I'm interested in reducing grocery bills for me and my wife, and I decided as part of the effort to start adding beans to our meals. I've never cooked dry beans before in my life so I wound up coming home with ten bags and have been casually experimenting with combining them different spices and foods.

I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't, but is there anything in particular I should try with beans that you know would be a hit?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got this serrano at Costco. When I put it on the gondola, should the left side be face up or the right side or does it not matter

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wrenever posted:

I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't, but is there anything in particular I should try with beans that you know would be a hit?

What kind?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I got this serrano at Costco. When I put it on the gondola, should the left side be face up or the right side or does it not matter

Ask the gondolier which he prefers

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like in most GIS results the right side is up

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wrenever posted:

I'm interested in reducing grocery bills for me and my wife, and I decided as part of the effort to start adding beans to our meals. I've never cooked dry beans before in my life so I wound up coming home with ten bags and have been casually experimenting with combining them different spices and foods.

Yeah, beans are a great bang-for-the-buck food. Every type of bean has a different flavor/texture profile, though. So there are things you can do with black beans that you can't do with pintos or pink beans, etc. Cranberry or "October" beans are my go-to for soup beans, I like black beans for some rice dishes, red kidneys for chilis, etc etc.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Every year I brine my turkey and start it out at 500 degrees for 30 minutes to brown it. And every year having my oven on 500 degrees freaks me out. Just a bit of smoke and alot of sizzling but my heart can't take it. 3 minutes left on the timer and I'll be glad to turn it down to a more normal temp.

E: time is over, bird looks perfect, some poo poo on the bottom of the oven (not my oven) is a bit smokey which hopefully won't impart too much poo poo flavor to the bird but it should be fine.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 21, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agent355 posted:

Every year I brine my turkey and start it out at 500 degrees for 30 minutes to brown it. And every year having my oven on 500 degrees freaks me out. Just a bit of smoke and alot of sizzling but my heart can't take it. 3 minutes left on the timer and I'll be glad to turn it down to a more normal temp.

E: time is over, bird looks perfect, some poo poo on the bottom of the oven (not my oven) is a bit smokey which hopefully won't impart too much poo poo flavor to the bird but it should be fine.

Just bake bread at 550 every now and then, boom it's like an oven cleaning cycle which gives you bread

Or be boring and use the actual oven cleaning cycle, though :ssh: it goes up around 900°F

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Wrenever posted:

I like making refried beans from dried beans. You have a lot of control over the texture and flavor at home so it ends up being way better than anything you'd get in a can. The key to good refried beans is sufficient fat and sufficient salt. They end up bland without either of those!

I use pintos or mayacoba (aka peruano) beans. Cook them until well-done and make sure to reserve the cooking liquid! Use about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of fat (lard or vegetable shortening) per pound of dried beans during the mashing stage.

I usually mash them in a stainless skillet (nonstick would get hosed up by the masher) with the fat, then reduce them until they brown a bit on the bottom, then add back enough of the bean cooking water to make a fairly loose mixture. Then I add salt until they taste good (add salt, then taste, etc). Then I stir and reduce/add bean water until I get the texture I want. Refried beans tend to dry out very quickly, so make sure to cover it once you finish cooking, and maybe aim on the more liquid side.

I'll just eat it with mexican rice, or in a burrito, or as a filling for tacos. I make tamales with refried beans and queso fresco as well, but that's quite a production.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Steve Yun posted:

Anytime I've seen one set up to be eaten, the skin side (left of your pic) is underneath with the other side on top, ready for slicing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t think this is an appropriate food to take up a mountain, maybe you should save it for the apres ski party instead?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How long should I boil whiskey to remove the alcohol? It would be poured over Craisins which would then be put on top of sweet potatoes after soaking. It's from Binging with Babish's Thanksgiving sides video; the whiskey part is all of 3 seconds long and I don't want to get anyone at Thanksgiving drunk.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Admiral Joeslop posted:

and I don't want to get anyone at Thanksgiving drunk.

I think you may be missing the point of whiskey soaked craisins.

And thanksgiving.

E: as a less flippant point, the reason for using alcohol is that it dissolves and pulls out flavor molecules that water would leave behind. If you boil all the alcohol out beforehand you lose that effect.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
You shouldn't be using enough whiskey to make anyone drunk even they just drank it.

That said, simmer it maybe 10 minutes? It's still going to have alcohol in it, but not as much.

Basically, if you start with a reasonable amount of booze, between the heating and the limited amount that's gonna get soaked into the craisins in the first place, there's not gonna be much left.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Well, that explains it. Maybe I'll just do it and put them in a side bowl and tell everyone they're soaked in whiskey.

Edit: Also, would doing that today and fridging them overnight be fine and/or better? A quick warm on the stove before eating?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Your nose will tell you when the alcohol has evaporated. Basically when it stops smelling like alcohol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have we talked about Christmas cakes yet, and methods to increase booze retention?

I managed to get half a bottle of kracken and half a bottle or brandy in the last one, but there's always more.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Turkey came out perfectly and the 4 people who were here to share it with all vow it has opened their eyes to what turkey is supposed to taste like instead of dried out tasteless mush. Just doing my part to bring joy through delicious turkey.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Have we talked about Christmas cakes yet, and methods to increase booze retention?

I managed to get half a bottle of kracken and half a bottle or brandy in the last one, but there's always more.

At that point you should accept the fact that people just want to drink and not eat lovely cake

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

At that point you should accept the fact that people just want to drink and not eat lovely cake

gently caress you my cake is delicious and moist and if I'm the only one who can appreciate it gently caress the haters too. Reeeee

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goldschlager cake

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

gently caress you my cake is delicious and moist and if I'm the only one who can appreciate it gently caress the haters too. Reeeee

It's delicious and moist because you're drowning it in booze. Just drink the booze, and without having to eat all that cake, you'll have room for more booze.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yes but setting fire to booze and pouring custard on it would be a trifle wierd.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well it would be a weird trifle, certainly.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can I make a gravy today, up to the point where I have included the roux, and then reheat tomorrow and add the pan drippings from the turkey?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Alcohol doesn't really cook out of food.

quote:

“You never really cook all of the alcohol out of the food, no matter how long you cook it,” certified sommelier and Food and Wine Editor of Best Life, Shana Wall, told us via email. “However, with that said, alcohol evaporates at three times the rate of water. So the longer you cook it, the more alcohol that will cook out. But the lowest amount of alcohol you can ever achieve in liquids is five percent.”

According to a USDA study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, you’d have to cook your food for a lengthy two-and-a-half hours to get its alcohol content down to five percent. Not looking to spend too much time babying coq a vin? Alcohol that’s cooked with food for 15 minutes will retain 40 percent of its alcohol content.

https://www.eatthis.com/does-alcohol-cook-out/

quote:

Reducing the wine separately, then diluting the resulting reduction, is a far more efficient way of minimizing the overall final alcohol content of the dish than attempting to reduce the alcohol after combining it with the remaining liquids.

For instance, say I start with 500ml of wine with an alcohol content of 10%. I reduce it on the stovetop by half, leaving me with 250ml of reduced wine that now has an alcohol content of, say, 4% (the actual content will vary depending on the exact conditions I performed the reduction under). When I subsequently add 500ml of stock to that mix for a final volume of 750ml, I end up with a final alcohol content of 1.3%.

If, on the other hand, I start by combining 500ml wine with 500ml of stock (resulting in a liquid with 5% alcohol) and reduce it by 33% to get to a final volume of 750ml, I end up with an alcohol content of around 3% (give or take)—more than twice as high as if I had reduced it separately at the start.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/ask-the-food-lab-do-i-really-need-to-reduce-w.html

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Goddamnit, as I was reading all those posts I was smugly thinking “I’m going to reply to this and explain that they’re all wrong, and everyone will think I am wise and clever” but I was too slow

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“You never really cook all of the alcohol out of the food, no matter how long you cook it,” certified sommelier and Food and Wine Editor of Best Life, Shana Wall, told us via email. “However, with that said, alcohol evaporates at three times the rate of water. So the longer you cook it, the more alcohol that will cook out. But the lowest amount of alcohol you can ever achieve in liquids is five percent.”

That's just ignorant. This magic five percent number is patently false from basic chemistry and physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 22, 2018