Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, it's the only thing I do, and it works like a charm. I only fry a couple times a year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Has anyone here actually gotten this to work

Works fine for me

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
To be honest I don’t deep fry much. After straining my oil, I just use it in cooking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend brought home some lovely looking cleaned blue crab and a whole stone crab home from 99 Ranch. I'll just steam the blues with old bay, but what should I do with the whole stone crab? He wants to eat the whole thing. I know stone crabs are usually only eaten for their claws, but we're patient and don't mind picking for a tiny bit of meat.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

My boyfriend brought home some lovely looking cleaned blue crab and a whole stone crab home from 99 Ranch. I'll just steam the blues with old bay, but what should I do with the whole stone crab? He wants to eat the whole thing. I know stone crabs are usually only eaten for their claws, but we're patient and don't mind picking for a tiny bit of meat.

Steam them too. They’re delicious.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just copy this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpK6vo4_sX4

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Novice cooker, be gentle for I have dumb questions.

I'm transcribing old family recipes from recipe cards to digital copies, and correcting little bits as I go for clarity. There's a BBQ brisket recipe that calls for half a "medium onion" thinly sliced and placed on top before baking. The other ingredients are just Liquid Smoke and seasoning salt. Is this onion probably intended to be a white onion, yellow onion, or doesn't matter? My gut says if it's unspecified it usually means white, but just checking for a more experienced opinion or two.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably yellow but it doesn't really matter.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

drat Bananas posted:

Novice cooker, be gentle for I have dumb questions.

I'm transcribing old family recipes from recipe cards to digital copies, and correcting little bits as I go for clarity. There's a BBQ brisket recipe that calls for half a "medium onion" thinly sliced and placed on top before baking. The other ingredients are just Liquid Smoke and seasoning salt. Is this onion probably intended to be a white onion, yellow onion, or doesn't matter? My gut says if it's unspecified it usually means white, but just checking for a more experienced opinion or two.

There differences between yellow and white onions are practically negligible in most cases. Just get whatever is cheaper/better looking.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yellow will be a little sweeter and more mellow but yeah the difference between white and yellow onion is far less significant than the difference between either of them to a red onion, so for this particular application they should be interchangable and your recipe will turn out fine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If unsure, get Vidalia for anything that's gonna cook long enough to caramelize, and white for everything else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Annath posted:

If unsure, get Vidalia for anything that's gonna cook long enough to caramelize, and white for everything else.

Wow look at this wrong opinion. Sweet onions are more expensive and don't add any significant benefit when you're cooking an onion that long. If you're caramelizing onions, get yourself a pile of yellow.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Casu Marzu posted:

Wow look at this wrong opinion. Sweet onions are more expensive and don't add any significant benefit when you're cooking an onion that long. If you're caramelizing onions, get yourself a pile of yellow.

But the higher sugar content leads to more flavorful caramelization...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Annath posted:

quote:

You'd think that sweet onions are the way to go, offering you more sugars to caramelize, but upon cooking all four onion varieties side by side, the differences were less pronounced than I expected. All of them developed rich, caramelized flavor in about the same amount of time, but the red turned an off-putting muddy greenish-brown color. Ick. The sweet ones were marginally sweeter, but not enough that they were worth the premium price. They also lacked complexity. Of all of them, the yellow boasted the most flavor.

Turns out that although sweet onions have about 25% more sugar in them, their flavor difference when raw has more to do with the amount of tear-inducing lachrymators they contain. Yellow onions have more pungent irritants than sweet, giving sweet onions the impression of actually being even sweeter than they really are. When you cook the onions down, these pungent compounds mellow out into more complex flavors, giving yellow onions a distinct edge over the sweet.

Kenji has this to say about caramelizing onions and I've found it to be true as well. Caramelized sweet onions tend to be kinda bland and overly sweet. Yellow onions have a lot more interesting flavor.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I take everything Serious Eats does with huuuuge grains of salt, because some of the "shortcuts" or alternatives to the "traditional" way of doing things are overly complicated or just plain don't work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The website is too bad now and retroactively makes everything poo poo.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Annath posted:

I take everything Serious Eats does with huuuuge grains of salt, because some of the "shortcuts" or alternatives to the "traditional" way of doing things are overly complicated or just plain don't work.

This is super easy to test yourself and I agree with Kenji. Yellow onion life.

Edit: Also, IDK what prices are around you, but vidalia/maui/walla walla onions are stupid expensive. I can get like 2-3lbs of yellow/white for the price of a pound of those.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 26, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any articles that highlight their shortcomings, or is this just opinion floating around?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm not the biggest Serious Eats fan but they have some interesting articles, however I put on an episode of the podcast and it's one of the most irritating things I've listened to - inane and annoying, the worst combination. The lady they were interviewing could have said some interesting stuff if the presenter hadn't wanted to shoehorn in his own bland experiences every two minutes and make excruciatingly explicit what was very easily inferred.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Annath posted:

Sweet onions don't necessarily have higher sugar content than regular onions -- they're called "sweet" onions because they don't have as many of the sulfuric "hot" compounds due to being grown in lower-sulfur soil. They just tend to taste sweeter as a result of not having those competing flavors.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BrianBoitano posted:

Any articles that highlight their shortcomings, or is this just opinion floating around?

Off the top of my head, I couldn't point you to a specific article, but it definitely feels like it's gotten much more "complicated for complexity's sake" than for a noticeable improvement in the quality of what you cook.

Like, it used to be kind of cool because they'd present specific reasons why "common knowledge" methods were not actually good (see: searing to lock in flavor/moisture), but lately it's seemed more like "you made a 15 step recipe for gravy, why?"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

is there such thing as a good or interesting cooking podcast

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cooking issues imho

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Annath posted:

Off the top of my head, I couldn't point you to a specific article, but it definitely feels like it's gotten much more "complicated for complexity's sake" than for a noticeable improvement in the quality of what you cook.

Like, it used to be kind of cool because they'd present specific reasons why "common knowledge" methods were not actually good (see: searing to lock in flavor/moisture), but lately it's seemed more like "you made a 15 step recipe for gravy, why?"

6-10 years ago it had a lot more variety of recipes published by a variety of authors, along with cookbook features (and giveaways). Now it's about 2 recipes a week from the 4 writers on staff.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Very this. What ratios of salt/sugar/vinegar do you figure I should I use for one crab? Also, I only have white, champagne, balsamic, and acv, not brown vinegar. I also have some mirin.

edit:
I think i'm gonna guess about 4c water, 1/2 c vinegar, tablespoon each of salt and sugar, tablespoon of mirin for pizazz. Will boil for 12 minutes. UPDATES AS THEY COME

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

THS posted:

is there such thing as a good or interesting cooking podcast

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Cooking issues imho

I really like Chewing, a podcast by two ladies working for Chicago Tribune. They get some cool guests and do some deep dives into Chicago dishes and such. Lots of good discussion on food trends and sustainability, etc.

Edit: If you like David Chang, I really dig his podcast.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Cooking issues imho

Yeah, this is basically the only one worth listening to. But then Dave could also do a show about varieties of latex paint and it would be funny and good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cooking Issues is my favorite, however keep in mind that it is aimed at all skill levels so there will be questions about very basic general cooking issues, at the next moment there will be discussions about how to use sodium hexa metaphosphate or rotary evaporators

Dave Arnold is also hilarious because he has a hundred rants stored in his back pocket ready to go if anything sets him off

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I know everyone hates slow cookers but I have to make something for a “luau themed” barbecue (ugh) for non discerning non food people in bulk so I’m cracking the old gal out. We’re doing pulled pork shoulder sliders in a soy based sauce on kings Hawaiian rolls (please do not yell at me about cultural stereotyping and diluting other culture’s cuisine and all the other problems with this I’m getting dragged to a “luau themed” barbecue for God’s sake I’m suffering enough).

For cooking length, the recipe loosely calls for eight hours. Am I better off cooking it overnight and then having to chuck be still hot container in the fridge or putting it in at seven am and not being able to take it off until 5:15, which is like, ten hours? I don’t want to overcook it but I figure it’ll take time to heat up. I’d worry about the acidity of the pineapple juice making it mushy over ten hours.

But also, will it be in the danger zone too long if I put it out to cook straight from the fridge in the morning? Thanks for any and all advice. Lotta scattershot questions.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ten hours is fine

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I recall there previously being a thai food thread in this forum, but I'm having trouble finding it? My thai mother is moving back to Thailand, and while my relationship with her is, uh, strained, I really loved her cooking and was hoping to find another source of recipes for my favorite foods. Is there any quick, goon-approved resources? (in particular I'd love to learn more about making thai noodle soup: I have my mother's recipe but every thai restaurant I eat at makes it different and that's so refreshing from every pho restaurant tasting exactly the same, I want to learn all of these different ways to make it)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

I recall there previously being a thai food thread in this forum, but I'm having trouble finding it? My thai mother is moving back to Thailand, and while my relationship with her is, uh, strained, I really loved her cooking and was hoping to find another source of recipes for my favorite foods. Is there any quick, goon-approved resources? (in particular I'd love to learn more about making thai noodle soup: I have my mother's recipe but every thai restaurant I eat at makes it different and that's so refreshing from every pho restaurant tasting exactly the same, I want to learn all of these different ways to make it)
I like Vatchari Bhumichitr's books.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Shesimmers.com is great and I really like Leela's first book (haven't tried the second one)

I also really like Pailin's kitchen on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/PailinsKitchen

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don’t hate slow cookers

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My girlfriend is going out of town for the weekend, so it is time to get weird and experiment in the kitchen, because she is a picky eater.

One thing I have got in my mind to try is a "southwestern" take on shrimp scampi. Basically I wanna use the NYT recipe for scampi, but I want to season my shrimp in cumin and chili powder and then char them in a cast iron, and I want to sub in tequila and lime for dry white and lemon.

I know the flavors will all go great together, but my question is can I follow this recipe as written and just do a 1:1 trade for tequila, or will I burn off my eyebrows and/or make alcoholic hoochbutter due to the higher alc content in the tequila?

I also see recommendations to simmer the shrimp shells in the wine to make a sort of seafood broth before using that instead of straight wine. Same question, can I use tequila for that option?

And lastly, I know a lot of people say don't cook with what you wouldn't drink, but I don't drink in the first place so that's not really actionable advice. Since this is strictly for an occasional ingredient, am I good to buy a bottle of the cheap stuff or do I need to shell out for the Sammy Hagar poo poo?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I love that idea. Should be freakin' delicious.

1/2cup of tequila is definitely way too much for BOTH reasons you guessed at. 1/4cup will be plenty, but make sure to add like another 1/3cup broth as well.

For that broth, I would just simmer the shrimp in water, with a little squeeze of lime, or white wine vinegar.

For the tequila, you don't want the cheapest of the cheap poo poo, but you definitely don't need expensive stuff. Your local liquor store should have mini bottles of Jose Cuervo Gold behind the counter. 2 of those should set you up nicely.

Goddamn I'm hungry now and this sounds amazing. Make sure to sub cilantro for the normal parsley, take pictures and let us know how it is!

Edit: NYT doesn't call it out, but I always microplane some lemon zest over the top for service. Highly recommend you do the same with lime zest for this.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Related to the podcast question is cooking youtube channels. I subscribe to You Suck At Cooking, Binging With Babish, a handle full of Japanese food channels, Sortedfood, and Bon Appetit. Some of these are more about entertainment than the food.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That's a good list there. Any specific recs on the Japanese ones?

There are a million others, but I just want to shout out that Bong Eats is a fantastic Indian food channel, not anything weed-related. They provide very good novice-friendly instructions, but don't dumb down the recipes/ingredients themselves. You will really need to have an Indian grocer available, or order from Amazon.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bartlebee posted:

I know everyone hates slow cookers but I have to make something for a “luau themed” barbecue (ugh) for non discerning non food people in bulk so I’m cracking the old gal out. We’re doing pulled pork shoulder sliders in a soy based sauce on kings Hawaiian rolls (please do not yell at me about cultural stereotyping and diluting other culture’s cuisine and all the other problems with this I’m getting dragged to a “luau themed” barbecue for God’s sake I’m suffering enough).

For cooking length, the recipe loosely calls for eight hours. Am I better off cooking it overnight and then having to chuck be still hot container in the fridge or putting it in at seven am and not being able to take it off until 5:15, which is like, ten hours? I don’t want to overcook it but I figure it’ll take time to heat up. I’d worry about the acidity of the pineapple juice making it mushy over ten hours.

But also, will it be in the danger zone too long if I put it out to cook straight from the fridge in the morning? Thanks for any and all advice. Lotta scattershot questions.

Are you using fresh or canned/carton pineapple juice? I remember reading somewhere that the enzyme in pineapple that digests protein is denatured by the canning/packing process, which is why using fresh pineapple juice is bad news in a slow cooker, but canned is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I love that idea. Should be freakin' delicious.

1/2cup of tequila is definitely way too much for BOTH reasons you guessed at. 1/4cup will be plenty, but make sure to add like another 1/3cup broth as well.

For that broth, I would just simmer the shrimp in water, with a little squeeze of lime, or white wine vinegar.

For the tequila, you don't want the cheapest of the cheap poo poo, but you definitely don't need expensive stuff. Your local liquor store should have mini bottles of Jose Cuervo Gold behind the counter. 2 of those should set you up nicely.

Goddamn I'm hungry now and this sounds amazing. Make sure to sub cilantro for the normal parsley, take pictures and let us know how it is!

Edit: NYT doesn't call it out, but I always microplane some lemon zest over the top for service. Highly recommend you do the same with lime zest for this.

Thank you! I unfortunately have the cilantro gene so I will forgo that entirely and instead imagine what it is supposed to taste like to a normal person :smith: