Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sextro posted:

St. Louis pizza I can't even tell you what it is, but I will get agitated and insist that Chicago style is a casserole, not pizza.

It is the complete and total conceptual opposite of chicago style pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Thanks! This works for my question too. Gonna try it tomorrow.

Gave this a shot - turns out I bought 'baby' kale and not something more robust so it ended up a little juicy (also delicious. I added a dash of fish sauce. The chili flex made it a touch on the spicy side - fine for me, but definitely made each bite intensely flavored.) I folded in a bag of spinach after cooking to soak up the juices and also make it a touch less intense and that was quite good. I think I hosed it up by having the more delicate green and maybe a little too little greens. I bet with beet greens or collards or turnip greens it would be perfect as is.

Either way, thanks! This is a great base to build off of.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

ineptmule posted:

Anything lentils is my jam, I’d love to hear your recipe.
You will need:
  • 1 generous tbsp olive oil
  • 1 big onion, finely chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, chopped (optional)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (or chopped fresh tomatoes, I like to grate mine, whatever) (optional)
  • 1 cup brown lentils
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin seed (optional)
  • 4 oz. chorizo, sliced into discs
  • salt to taste
Do these things, salting along the way as you see fit (and of course as you know, keeping in mind the sodium content of the chorizo):
  1. Brown the vegetables in the oil, then lower the heat and cook the minced garlic for a couple of minutes
  2. Turn off the burner and add the spices to toast a bit in the residual heat
  3. Add any tomato if you are using it, and cook it a bit in the sofrito, taking care not to let the heat get too high or moisture content get too low that you start to burn the spices
  4. Add the water, lentils, and chorizo, bring the heat back up and simmer until the lentils are done to your liking
This is an ancient-seeming Spanish recipe and there are a hundred ways to do it, everything is to taste, and it seems hard to screw up. I watched a few videos to get a sense of the recipe, but this loosely subtitled one was my favorite.

Edit:

Weltlich posted:

Appalachian Saag
This is great, thanks for sharing — I like how many people connected with it and memories of their roots

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 17, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I posted this yesterday asking questions about it:

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-pulled-pork/

as a heads up, there is an insane amount of liquid added here. Here's what I recommend instead and what I will do next time, although it's pretty much what I did this time - I am getting used to the difference in Instant Pot vs old fashioned slow cooking... we only ever used a pressure cooker for canning.

Make a nice lil spice rub from smoked paprika, sugar, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, creole or cajun seasoning mix, a bit of salt, bit of cumin. Chop your roast into 3in or so chunks, roll in the spice mix thoroughly. Let sit for 25-35 min or overnight if you can. Then toss in a bit of apple cider or pineapple vinegar, like a 1/4 cup, and some BBQ sauce. Or I had some apple butter, pickle juice, smoky pepper sauce and I just threw those odds and ends together. Do a quick sear in a pan or in your instant pot (divide into 2 batches for a 3lb roast) and a touch of liquid to deglaze, like less than a 1/4 cup. Beyond that, less than 2/3 of a cup additional liquid - I'd say some more of whichever vinegar, a touch of stock or bouillion, a touch of BBQ sauce and a dash or two fish sauce. Manual cook for 40min, then natural release.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why isn’t there a southern food thread?

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Anyone got any good summertime slow cooker recipes? I am going out of town for an evening next week so some friends are coming to let my dogs out, and I would like to thank them by having a meal waiting, but it's going to be balls hot so I doubt they'll want stew or chili. Everything I am finding either is an appetizer or is some variant of pulled pork or brisket, which is fine but I would feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat for presenting them with a big hunk of meat they have to shred themselves as a thank-you for doing me a favor.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If I wanted to freeze meatballs when would be the right time? Before they are fried? After fried but before stewing in sauce? What's the best method? Stick them on a sheet pan after they're fridge temp and then into a wrap up or bag or something once frozen?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If I wanted to freeze meatballs when would be the right time? Before they are fried? After fried but before stewing in sauce? What's the best method? Stick them on a sheet pan after they're fridge temp and then into a wrap up or bag or something once frozen?

I think if you freeze them while raw they'll get mushy/watery when you thaw them out.
I'd say fry/bake them until they're cooked all the way. Space them out on a nonstick or cling-film lined sheet pan in your freezer after they're down to like room temp. You want them to freeze fast. Once theyve sorta got a frozen shells it's fairly safe to dump them into a freezer bag so they don't get freezer burn, but still try to keep them sorta flat packed so they continue to freeze quickly.

To reheat, thaw them in your fridge, make your sauce, and add the meatballs to the sauce on like medium low until they heat through.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Bluedeanie posted:

Anyone got any good summertime slow cooker recipes? I am going out of town for an evening next week so some friends are coming to let my dogs out, and I would like to thank them by having a meal waiting, but it's going to be balls hot so I doubt they'll want stew or chili. Everything I am finding either is an appetizer or is some variant of pulled pork or brisket, which is fine but I would feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat for presenting them with a big hunk of meat they have to shred themselves as a thank-you for doing me a favor.

Maybe make a big-rear end bowl of salad and some grilled & sliced chicken breasts? Nice and cool and light but still a pretty considerate thing to do. Sorry I don't have any slow cooker ideas.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Chilli is always appreciated. Leave some cornbread too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bluedeanie posted:

Good Texas chili is a summer dish. It’s also a fall, winter and spring dish.

If you’re worried about it though, a green chicken chili, or the Serious Eats green chili pork are great in the summer. Just leave some limes and beer in the fridge to go with it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fresh egg pasta question: when cutting by hand, is there a way to get long straight flowing strands? I gently fold it over twice widthwise like I've seen in some vids and cut as softly as I can but even then my pasta ends up very... crinkly, for lack of a better word. That is, the bends where it was folded and then pinched by the knife stay even after being shaken out and cooked. The taste and texture are fine, but the look of the noodle resembles thick ramen noodles more than anything and I was wondering if I was doing something very obviously wrong or not.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sharper knife if it's crushing the pasta down

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Fresh egg pasta question: when cutting by hand, is there a way to get long straight flowing strands? I gently fold it over twice widthwise like I've seen in some vids and cut as softly as I can but even then my pasta ends up very... crinkly, for lack of a better word. That is, the bends where it was folded and then pinched by the knife stay even after being shaken out and cooked. The taste and texture are fine, but the look of the noodle resembles thick ramen noodles more than anything and I was wondering if I was doing something very obviously wrong or not.

I’ve only managed totally straight noodles in a pasta machine. I think the “crinkle” is part of the charm of homemade pasta, but if you really want straight noodles I’d suggest not folding it at all and using a straight edge and a sharp knife. It is going to take a long time to cut them one at a time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Yeah, if you want a perfectly straight edge, you need to use a sliding slicing motion, moving the blade horizontally along the cutting board. Pressing the blade down from above will give you a crinkled/pinched edge no matter how sharp a blade you use.

Basically you either get a pasta machine, or get a pack of exacto blades and some patience and slice em all by hand.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Welcome to my adderall cooking show *makes a plate of ramen using a razor blade in complete, uncut silence*

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 19, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I can't find it, aren't there replacement coils for lovely electric stovetops to help with heating quickly/evenly? I bought some at my old apartment like 6 years ago but can't find it, at a friends who just got a new place and is bitching about the stove scorching everything.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

I can't find it, aren't there replacement coils for lovely electric stovetops to help with heating quickly/evenly? I bought some at my old apartment like 6 years ago but can't find it, at a friends who just got a new place and is bitching about the stove scorching everything.

You can get diffusers that sit atop the coil to help with that. But if everything is scorching maybe the heat is just too high. It's possible that the coil itself isn't a consistent thickness/resistance or whatever and is getting extra hot in spots, in which case just buy a new coil as they're cheap.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just got a vacuum sealer for a gift. Other than sous vide, what are some neat things to do with it? Any tips for freezing things?

My main goal is to buy big packs of meat at CostCo for the month, break down what I'll use of it by week and freeze it. I'd also like to maybe try freezing actual meals - liquidy stuff like stews and beans, or cooked meats like BBQ pork.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

I just got a vacuum sealer for a gift. Other than sous vide, what are some neat things to do with it? Any tips for freezing things?

My main goal is to buy big packs of meat at CostCo for the month, break down what I'll use of it by week and freeze it. I'd also like to maybe try freezing actual meals - liquidy stuff like stews and beans, or cooked meats like BBQ pork.

I make pre-made breakfast sandwiches with mine, then freeze them. All I have to do in the morning is grab one, tear it open, and microwave it until it's hot. I'll typically use waffle segments for the "bread" on it, and then do a fried egg, a piece of ham or cooked sausage, and then put a little cheese on it after I've nuked it.

Basically, the vacuum sealer is the king of keeping frozen stuff nice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Noma Guide to Fermentation suggests using vacuum sealing for some of its fermentation recipes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Annath posted:

Yeah, if you want a perfectly straight edge, you need to use a sliding slicing motion, moving the blade horizontally along the cutting board. Pressing the blade down from above will give you a crinkled/pinched edge no matter how sharp a blade you use.

Basically you either get a pasta machine, or get a pack of exacto blades and some patience and slice em all by hand.

Hanging on a pasta rack can make a pretty significant difference: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...20Pasta%20Tools

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah poo poo, wrong thread - vac sealers concentrate flavors so marinating is also great. Or you can vac melons (watermelon especially) to double down on flavor and texture for a cubed salad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Noma Guide to Fermentation suggests using vacuum sealing for some of its fermentation recipes.

It’s great because when it puffs up a little you know the bugs are at work

And then sometimes it blows up like a balloon

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

melons (watermelon especially) ... salad.

I’ve never had melon in a salad and thought “this is better because of the melon”. I’d much rather have a salad and eat some melon afterwards. Is there a recipe anyone can recommend that will change my mind, or are they all equally horrible?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Pretty much anywhere you use tomatoes... a compressed water melon (vac sealed, then seasoned) with feta and fresh herbs is delicious. Basil is the go to but I've done well with sage and tarragon as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But is it better than using delicious tomatoes to use excessively sweet melon?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
try a velveeta, compressed watermelon, oak leaf caprese with a heineken reduction

if that doesnt change your mind, you just prefer tomato to watermelon and that is okay.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

fart store posted:

try a velveeta, compressed watermelon, oak leaf caprese with a heineken reduction

What in the actual gently caress.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Annath posted:

What in the actual gently caress.

sorry u cant handle haute cuisine

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Welcome to my adderall cooking show *makes a plate of ramen using a razor blade in complete, uncut silence*
*ASMR*

*chalkboard looming ominously in background*

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thank you for the vacuum sealer help!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
my roommate who is allergic to bananas is out of the house for a week, so it’s time for banana bread.

Anyone got any recipes or tips on how to make it pretty moist?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Talk to it, make eye contact and change up the speed

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
submerge it in water for about half an hour. you can use a plate to weigh it down if it floats

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

inject it with a brine

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Head Bee Guy posted:

my roommate who is allergic to bananas is out of the house for a week, so it’s time for banana bread.

soak it in brandy for six months

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Head Bee Guy posted:

This recipe has always served me well. Use 4 ripe bananas like it says for extra moist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Talk to it, make eye contact and change up the speed

:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

be sure the bananas avg at least 4.7 in