Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Planning on making some rich chicken stock from bones that have been in my freezer forever. Problem I've had before is I used it all in big amounts from big containers and it didn't last. Thinking this time I'll freeze some in jumbo ice cubes. Good plan? That way I can get a nice boost that goes into multiple things, braises, rice dish, soups.

Good plan? Better way to approach this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I portion mine in ziplock sandwich bags by the cup that I then lay flat on a baking tray and freeze. That makes them good for stacking together once they're solid.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

AnonSpore posted:

I portion mine in ziplock sandwich bags by the cup that I then lay flat on a baking tray and freeze. That makes them good for stacking together once they're solid.

This is what I do as well, but freezing in an ice cube tray and then plopping the cubes into a freezer bag once they're frozen would also work fine.

Just reduce it as much as you have patience for beforehand, it doesn't really suffer from being reduced and then diluted back when you use the cubes.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Waci posted:

This is what I do as well, but freezing in an ice cube tray and then plopping the cubes into a freezer bag once they're frozen would also work fine.

Just reduce it as much as you have patience for beforehand, it doesn't really suffer from being reduced and then diluted back when you use the cubes.

That's exactly what I do - reduce pretty far, chill a bit (but not too far as it'll congeal nicely due to being so concentrated), freeze in ice cube trays then tip into ziplock. Keeps them easily portionable, just dilute them back with hot water when using

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

One problem I've had with the ice cube technique (for both stocks and fruit juices) is that the non-water elements don't freeze as hard, so the bag tends to get pretty greasy/sticky inside. This may be down to my absolute garbage rear end freezer though.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
i have made and frozen broth in large cubes. i always wind up wishing i had reduced it more and had put the effort in to clarify it. The latter is more an aesthetic thing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm cleaning out my late grandfather's freezer, and I found a bag of homemade frittelli. I assume they're uncooked (and they're frozen, obvs). How do I prepare them?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The problem I always had with doing cubes is they tend to freeze together in a big mass you can't break apart. I'd try putting a few layers of plastic wrap in there between the cubes just to limit how big of a glob they can turn into.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hello.
I have the funky end of a brisket (was on sale, nice!) marinading in this:

And a couple cloves of garlic that were smashed appropriately.

I really worked the hell out of this brisket end with my carving fork before rubbing the marinade in. It is NOT large, maybe 2lbs'ish.
I can give it a few hours to sit.

How long or so, should I give it on a charcoal Weber? I figure, off heat, over drip pan and check on it a bit, maybe 2? Does that sound about right? I'm not looking for full smoked brisket here, I'm making burritos for me and my wife tonight.

I toss in those bradley cooker smoke pucks and try to keep them from flaring up. That seems to add a nice smoke to a good grill thing. But I worry about grilling a brisket, should be ok for burrito meat like that yeah?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

e: bleh turns out that several hours of cooking it, tenting it, etc. Even after the prep was NOT enough and even after slicing it paper thin, was pencil-eraser toughness.
Bummer! I haven't screwed the pooch that hard in a while. Well poo poo. Well the beans and rice turned out great :dadjoke: So multiple charred grilled pepper, rice and black bean and cheese burritos it was.

ee: I will endorse that seasoning that I posted a pic of though, even though I hosed up. Please try it. It's very good. It's like pure strain paprikash in a jar and stained my hands and sink. It's great and I'd love to do it on chicken drums or toss potatoes in it before roasting. It seriously owns. Well that's my story.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 26, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Never mind!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Does this subforum have a "science of cooking" thread? Like breaking it down to the molecular level, and coming up with dishes based on chemistry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SzMarsupial/status/1154700415939829760

quote:

"The thing is, I know I need to learn to cook, and will, but really, I don’t know when that day will come. It’s not fear that stops me. It’s because cooking is so deeply boring. It makes me want to cry. When an amateur chef tells me what I’m missing – how easy it is, how creative, how relaxing – I look at them as if down the wrong end of a telescope. I feel pity, because unlike me they are denied the pleasure of getting very hungry in the middle of some late afternoon activity, imagining what they want (the creative part), instantly buying that thing and eating it on the train, or in the road, and satisfying their needs within seconds."

"And how do you stop it sticking to the pan? Butter? Oil? I have watched it being done so many times but, like a kind of dyspraxia, I cannot take it in. My mind goes dark. Many years ago, I decided to boil an egg for my breakfast, so I looked up the instructions on the computer. By chance, the recipe that I alighted on was a ten-step recipe, which I assumed was normal. The egg took a long time and was hard, confirming to me that cooking was complicated, and that the process strips all the pleasure out of the end product."

GWS how do I live knowing this person exists

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My stupid self forgot to put my delicious pot of Italian beef in the fridge before bed last night so it sat out all night. It’s reasonably salty and a little bit winey and garlicky if any of that helps. If I bring it back to a boil would it still be okay to eat? It was kind of a lot of work and delicious and I’d hate to waste it but I also would rather not get food poisoning.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Usual response in the thread is this:

Use your eyes, nose and taste to gauge it. Do not feed to others without consent or if they're at-risk immune system-wise (pregnancy, recent antibiotics, chronic poo poo).

The pH, salinity, thickness, cookedness are all in your favor, but some bacteria and fungi will live in it regardless. Personally I wouldn't feel the need to re-boil and potentially make tough beef, just chill and reheat as normal.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

mike12345 posted:

Does this subforum have a "science of cooking" thread? Like breaking it down to the molecular level, and coming up with dishes based on chemistry.

It doesn't. But most of the chemistry in cooking is the same couple reactions. Maillard, proteins breaking down into sugars, and so on. Baking can get a little more complicated, but it's all generally pretty similar when you break it down that finely.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This person needs a handful of valium

Edit: What the ever living gently caress. This has to be a satire piece. I refuse to believe this person exists.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 26, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

This person needs a handful of valium

Edit: What the ever living gently caress. This has to be a satire piece. I refuse to believe this person exists.

Well soylent is a company that still exists and still sells, so anti cooking people do exist somehow.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Well soylent is a company that still exists and still sells, so anti cooking people do exist somehow.

I'm not sure the majority of Soylent people are anti-cooking. I know I drank it for a while for the nights where I got home after work and exercising and did not have enough time between getting home and my target bed time to cook, eat, and digest my food before going to sleep.

That said the CEO is a loon and comes off very anti cooking or good food.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

I'm loving cackling at this article lmao

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
On the other hand she’s British, so it’s probably in the world’s best interest that she never even attempts to cook.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Budgie Jumping posted:

On the other hand she’s British, so it’s probably in the world’s best interest that she never even attempts to cook.

You’re right, if only she were from the nation that brought the world mushroom soup mix and tater tot hot dish, maybe she could be redeemed

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

You’re right, if only she were from the nation that brought the world mushroom soup mix and tater tot hot dish, maybe she could be redeemed

Harsh but fair

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

:colbert: Tater tot casserole is loving delicious. Fight me.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Made this today, turned out great — thank you.

Was thinking of that Kate Mossman article as my hand started to cramp while grating a knob of frozen ginger, but I love recipes like this that turn very humble ingredients into something complex and delicious. Can't believe how little everything cost, and got six good meals out of it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Made this today, turned out great — thank you.

Was thinking of that Kate Mossman article as my hand started to cramp while grating a knob of frozen ginger, but I love recipes like this that turn very humble ingredients into something complex and delicious. Can't believe how little everything cost, and got six good meals out of it.

drat that sounds great. How integral is the orzo? Could I conceivably substitute couscous for it?

Scientastic posted:

I’m sorry, you wouldn’t happen to be talking about the nation that brought the world Emeril loving Lagasse, would you?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Budgie Jumping posted:

drat that sounds great. How integral is the orzo? Could I conceivably substitute couscous for it?

I’m sorry, you wouldn’t happen to be talking about the nation that brought the world Emeril loving Lagasse, would you?

And Guy Fieri. :colbert:

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How long will roasted red peppers last in the fridge?

I like making them myself, but I don't like adding an hour prep time to any recipe that calls for them. Cooking 20 is as easy as cooking 2. If I make them in bulk, how long will they stay fresh in a plastic/glass container in the refrigerator?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bagheera posted:

How long will roasted red peppers last in the fridge?

I like making them myself, but I don't like adding an hour prep time to any recipe that calls for them. Cooking 20 is as easy as cooking 2. If I make them in bulk, how long will they stay fresh in a plastic/glass container in the refrigerator?

like a week, or if you're just adding them for flavor you can freeze them in cubes

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That’s OK, I accept your apology on behalf of all British cooks

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Budgie Jumping posted:

Not at all. Most harira recipes I saw while I was reading about it seem to include some sort of pasta or noodle purely for thickening or calorie purposes. Unless it's Israeli couscous, you'll lose a bit of texture, but it will serve the same purpose.

A few other recipes I found use beaten egg slowly stirred in, egg-drop-soup style. Wanna try that some day

Hauki
May 11, 2010

it was rainy and cooler today and i had all the poo poo on hand for harira so, i too, made a pot of it with a bunch of chard & the beaten egg thing

you could also replace the orzo with broken bits of angel hair etc., couscous would be a perfectly fine substitute for body though it might make it a little more porridgey

edit: i more or less made this version minus the brown lentils, adding a bunch of chard & a couple carrots early, beaten egg plus more lemon to finish, garnished with yogurt, sumac & a pinch more cilantro

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 28, 2019

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I made my first batch of Muhammara, the roasted pepper and walnut dip. It was delicious.
What other nuts do you think I could substitute for walnuts? The answer, of course, is "Try it and tell us," but I'm curious to hear your opinions as well. Roasted red pepper ground into a paste with almonds? Pistachios? Peanuts?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

I made my first batch of Muhammara, the roasted pepper and walnut dip. It was delicious.
What other nuts do you think I could substitute for walnuts? The answer, of course, is "Try it and tell us," but I'm curious to hear your opinions as well. Roasted red pepper ground into a paste with almonds? Pistachios? Peanuts?

I bet toasted pistachios would be real good. My gut says try toasted pecans or hazelnuts for their nice earthy flavor but I'm biased because I love both.

I made Dukkah with hazelnuts recently and goddamn it was tasty. Would recommend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bagheera posted:

I sub pecans for walnuts often and it almost always works well.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Can anyone tell me about varieties of figs and their differences? It seems that figs grow acceptably here in Eastern Washington, at least some types, and I like having fruit plants. I hoped to do a taste test of different figs but haven't been able to find a way to get a hold of different ones at the same time easily.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

I like turtles posted:

Can anyone tell me about varieties of figs and their differences? It seems that figs grow acceptably here in Eastern Washington, at least some types, and I like having fruit plants. I hoped to do a taste test of different figs but haven't been able to find a way to get a hold of different ones at the same time easily.

Brown Turkey is the worst one - still good because figs are the best but not what you’d want. Green/white cultivars are fantastic and the very best is Mission. I don’t know how to explain the differences. If you’re going to grow them, Mission is the best pick - Kadota is also a strong option.

I made Muhammara this week with my cultured vegan sunflower seed cheese and it was beyond fantastic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

coolanimedad posted:

Brown Turkey is the worst one - still good because figs are the best but not what you’d want. Green/white cultivars are fantastic and the very best is Mission. I don’t know how to explain the differences.
They're sweet. You appear to like very, very sweet figs. Which is cool, but not everybody wants a fig to be a sugar bomb. Black mission and white figs are good if you want figs for desert, making syrup, and that kind of thing. Black figs tend to keep well, produce a decent main crop (the figs produced late in the season by that year's new growth), but the breba crop (the figs produced early in the season on the previous years' growth) is often weak and less flavourful than the main crop. If you really want a super sweet fig, though, you probably want a Celeste, a.k.a. the sugar fig, or one of the other newish, nursery-grown cultivars.

Brown Turkeys are milder, and work better in salads and savory contexts. They're popular as a garden fig because they're hardy as gently caress, produce consistently and like crazy, and the figs keep well. If you're living in zone 8a you can grown pretty much any kind of fig you want, but in a lot of places Brown Turkeys are the only option.

Calimyrna figs are earthier/nuttier than any of the other varieties discussed so far, and like brown Turkeys you find them served with cheese, charcuterie, and that kind of thing.

Green figs like the kadota are another option. They're one of the oldest cultivars that's still around. They're mild and super common, though, so I don't think they're a particularly popular choice for home gardening.

There are a whole shitload of other cultivars out there, but those are the ones that seem to show up the most in nurseries.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

SubG posted:

They're sweet. You appear to like very, very sweet figs. Which is cool, but not everybody wants a fig to be a sugar bomb. Black mission and white figs are good if you want figs for desert, making syrup, and that kind of thing. Black figs tend to keep well, produce a decent main crop (the figs produced late in the season by that year's new growth), but the breba crop (the figs produced early in the season on the previous years' growth) is often weak and less flavourful than the main crop. If you really want a super sweet fig, though, you probably want a Celeste, a.k.a. the sugar fig, or one of the other newish, nursery-grown cultivars.

Brown Turkeys are milder, and work better in salads and savory contexts. They're popular as a garden fig because they're hardy as gently caress, produce consistently and like crazy, and the figs keep well. If you're living in zone 8a you can grown pretty much any kind of fig you want, but in a lot of places Brown Turkeys are the only option.

Calimyrna figs are earthier/nuttier than any of the other varieties discussed so far, and like brown Turkeys you find them served with cheese, charcuterie, and that kind of thing.

Green figs like the kadota are another option. They're one of the oldest cultivars that's still around. They're mild and super common, though, so I don't think they're a particularly popular choice for home gardening.

There are a whole shitload of other cultivars out there, but those are the ones that seem to show up the most in nurseries.

Yeah, Celeste is amazing! You’ve got me exactly right - I love sweet as possible, water balloon like fresh figs for eating right off the tree and never cook them (besides canning them). I don’t think they taste so good in savory situations though this is a pretty common use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I feel like a total wimp, as I have trouble eating figs after learning how wasp larvae are found in them. Even after I learned that the wasp larvae escape before the figs are harvested, I still have this awful image in my head of squirming worms when I bite into one.