Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
These are probably really dumb questions, so I apologize in advance.

Anyways, I've been doing typical house mom cooking stuff for the past year+ (regularly, ~5-6 nights per week). But it's stuff like steak, grilled chicken/fish, chili, etc. I feel really comfortable with that kind of stuff, and have grown to really love cooking. So I want to take it to the next level. I just ordered Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. Any other book recommendations for a novice looking to learn and not just follow recipes?

Beef stock question: I made some by roasting beef bones the butcher gave me, and dumping them in a pot with water, veggies, and a bay leaf for ~5 hours. Let it cool to room temp, then put it in the fridge. Went to take off the fat, and underneath the fat was no liquid. It looked like Jello! I guess that's a lot of gelatin? Or did I just gently caress it up horribly, and you don't want a lot of gelatin? Before this, I had only previously bought stock from a box in the store, and that stuff was much less fragrant and much more liquidy...

Now some questions about braising as well as crockpots:
1) Is crockpot cooking considered distinct from braising, or is it just a form of braising where the cooking vessel is a crockpot instead of a dutch oven? Probably just semantics, but I can't figure it out, and I'd like to be able to make a judgement call on which vessel to use and understand why. :(

2) What is the deal with liquid level, whether dutch oven or crockpot? Do you really need enough liquid to cover the meat? Because I tried that last week with beef stew in a crockpot, and it was revolting and tasted like a lovely soup. But when I braised beef cheeks in a dutch oven with liquid that maybe went up to 25% of the meat's height, it was delicious. So that makes me think that all the billion of recipes I see that require 4 cups+ liquid for maybe 2 lbs of meat is just bullshit... but then why are there so many recipes written with that large volume? I was trying to reason it out, and it seems like the smaller the volume, the better, because you'll increase the concentration (and thus flavor) of all the yummy things in the liquid.

3) When do you brown meat versus when do you don't? It seems like the more Maillard reactions are happening, the better the flavor should be, so why do some recipes not include a browning step?

3) Finally, if the GWS consensus could braise only 3 more meats in your life, what would they be? Because I would like to make those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I found dried chilis at the store, for the first time! They were anchos and de arbols. These will take the place of chili powder in a big vat of beef chili, right? How do I (in depth!) go about using them for this purpose- just stick em in, chop em up, or soak in water for a while?

Also, I want to make a ton of chili so I can freeze the leftovers. Just do it in a bunch of tupperwares that approximate portion size, or in one big tupperware?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Emnity posted:

Looking for a little help from those with a little more cullinary flair. Since leaving the forces and becoming a Civil Engineer I've piled on the pounds.. Add to this long working hours and a newborn son and preparing reasonably easy meals in the evenings that arent overly-run with carbs is becoming difficult.

The wife and I dabble with salads but neither of us are really sold on the idea, we always want to add some pasta or other such item to make them more interesting. Does anyone have any suitable solutions out there for something practical, tasty and not overladen with carbs? We normally dont get to eat until 7pm so trying to cut the carbs out for that reason.

Check out the older, closed low carb megathreads in W&W, there is A LOT of food chat in there. Some of it is gross and frankenfood with artificial ingredients (especially the OP), but a large portion of the food chat is talking about yummy things to do with meat, fish, veg, and eggs.

Off the top of my head, you should invest in a large dutch oven or crockpot so that when you braise meats in it, you make at least 6 servings at a time. Braised foods are wonderful as left overs and heat up really well (which is convenient with a newborn, I imagine). It will give you lots of lower carb, delicious, and hearty meals- pot roast and beef cheeks are the first to come to mind. Braising can be as easy or complicated as you want. I just got All About Braising by Molly Stevens yesterday, which has been really helpful to learn the principles of braising and for recipe ideas.

Another thing that comes to mind is chili, which can be really low carb friendly with lots of portions.

One of my favorite meals is getting a gigantic whole chicken, stuffing the cavity with celery, putting a gently caress ton of a garlic-sage-butter mixture (or just butter!) under all the skin, seasoning it with salt, pepper and onion powder, and then roasting it over sweet potatoes. Very minimal work, just a wait time for it to cook.

Just because you're doing lower carb doesn't mean you have to eat meat only with no veg nor beans, nor does it have to mean really complex meals. Ugh I feel like I'm outing myself on this subforum, but I eat low carb for weight loss (55 lbs down so far), so you can always PM me with questions if you want. Though I'm a definite newbie in this subforum, so my culinary expertise is more of "housewife who really likes cooking" than "actual chef".

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

davey4283 posted:

I'm thinking about making veal parmigiana tonight for dinner. I have an authentic Italian grocery store/deli right by my house that I can pick up all of the ingredients. I found this recipe which I think sounds pretty good:
code:
    * 4 veal cutlets, weighing 1/3 pound each.
    * 4 thin slices fresh grana (this is the young, and therefore relatively soft version of Parmigiano;
    * you may substitute a mild cheddar or Gruyere if need be)
    * 4 thin slices prosciutto
    * 1/2 cup unsalted butter
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/2 cup finely ground breadcrumbs, toasted in the oven
    * 1/2 cup tomato sauce, heated
    * Salt
    * Freshly ground pepper
    * A little butter for the baking dish

Could you describe how to cook this/the recipe? It sounds delicious and I would love to make it.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Any way to get the sliminess out of okra besides frying? I read a tip somewhere that cutting off just the tip would accomplish this. I was a little skeptical but tried it for a stew I made yesterday and, while tasty, still had the slime texture!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

They weren't gluten free bread puddings, but in my experience, spices really get tempered in the pudding by the next day. So, I always make mine with assertive, aggressive spicing (cardamom!!), and then enjoy the pudding a lot more the next day.

Do you have the money/ingredients to spare to do a test run?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Makin' mayo for the first time. Wooh!

1) How do I store it? Mason jar?

2) Immersion blender or food processor?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Hed posted:

Where can I find some good lard? I went to the latino section of a couple of markets nearby but could only find the HUGE tubs of hydrogenated stuff. That's bad right? Joke's probably on me anyway since I ended up using vegetable shortening, but even then I just want a smaller amount than a huge tub to try out.

This just happened to me, right down to using vegetable shortening already in the pantry. Ugh synthetic shortening. :( I then found a tub of recently rendered lard at my next local butcher run. Gonna make eggs with it tomorrow morning, mmmmm

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Ooh, can I throw in a plug for Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni? I picked it up cheaply at a used book store, and am really glad I did so. As someone else who is new to cooking Indian food but really wants to be good at it, I'm finding it quite accessible! Manjula's Indian Kitchen is a good site, but I like having the text and binding and food stained pages more than internet links. :)

Incidentally, I also recently picked up your book dino. after reading the vegan thread. While I am not a vegan nor vegetarian (you should have seen my husband' surprised expression when I excitedly thrust the book into his face!), I really strongly love your philosophy of "no fakey poo poo" and just making food that tastes good. It's a fantastic resource, thanks for it.

Okay, question time! I tasted the most aamazing (vegeterian) dish yesterday: toasted baguette spread with goat cheese, basil, and roasted peppers. If heaven exists, it better be waiting for me there. So I want to replicate this. My plan:
- the King Arthur recipe for baguette
- the same goat cheese the restaurant used (locally prepared, yeah!)
- fresh basil chopped to pieces
- peppers
But how do I prepare the basil and peppers? Will raw basil be overpowering or do I put it over heat? And, um, are roasted peppers typically bell peppers just cut into strips and then covered in olive oil and some magic array of spices? Help me goons, I must be able to make this dish!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

My mom just called me and left a voicemail lecturing me about using swear words on my food blog :rolleyes:

She wants me to "sanitize" it so she can give the link to some kid she knows, I guess it's a friend's kid? I'm really tempted to tell her to go to hell.

Ahahah this is one of the best posts ever, I love it.

Thanks for the pepper and basil info, everyone. I had NO clue the skin was even supposed to come off when roasting them! :v:

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Another question. Last week, I made mayo for the first time using an immersion blender. I dumped 2 egg yolks, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 3/4 tsp coarse salt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, and 1.5 cups of canola oil into the container and it whirrred away into yumminess. It was ALSO supposed to have a tablespoon of lemon juice, but my lemon had gone bad and since the vinegar is already acidic, I figured it would be okay without the juice. It tasted a bit vinegary, but was nice.

Tonight, I made more mayo, in the exact same way, but also with the lemon juice. However, the emulsion would not hold, and within 20 minutes it was gross liquid. What gives? Volumetrically, it was just another tablespoon of liquid, so it shouldn't affect the total volume appreciably... but it did increase the aqueous phase volume a good bit pre-emulsification-attempt. Solutions? Obvious anything?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Psychobabble posted:

You'll need a greater quantity of oil to hold that much extra liquid, yes. However if you are saying that it did come together but then later it became even more liquid then your emulsion broke which could come from a variety of things. I generally make a mayo thicker than I want it and then thin it with lemon.

Ohhhhhhh, good to know! So the emulsion never came together perfectly in the first place, but it did have a little bit of thickness to it, enough for burgers. However, the burgers weren't even on the grill yet before the emulsion completely broke down, so uh, yeah, no mayo on those guys tonight! I'll definitely try mixing lemon in after the fact come tomorrow morning when I remake it. I am exasperated that I wasted 1.5 cups of oil tonight- that's a few bucks down the drain quite literally- but I learn something new every day in the kitchen...

Do you think vinegar and lemon are both necessary functional components? Provided the total amount of acidic liquic is appropriate in the final mixture, I'm not sure why you'd really need both, beyond a flavor reason.

2508084 posted:

Speaking of making your own mayo, how long does it keep?
My first batch kept for about 8 or so days before a funny smell generated. Mmm spoiling eggs! By the way, haven't seen you around forums lately, hope all is well! :) Make the mayo, you'll be so psyched about it- it tastes so much better than the soybean oil store crap, and if I recall, you're a big deviled egg fan, yes?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Scientastic posted:

This is your problem. If you dump all the ingredients into a blender and expect it to whir away into mayonnaise, it will fail if you get the proportions even slightly wrong. It takes a tiny bit more time, but doing it properly works much more often.

By properly, I mean that you whisk up the eggs yolks, garlic and mustard and keep whisking as you very slowly add the oil. When the mayonnaise starts to thicken (after you've added about half your expected oil volume) add the acid. Then, keep whisking and trickle in more oil. When it gets really thick and mayonnaise-y, you're done! You may have to add more or less of the oil than you expected, but it will actually work and be mayonnaise.

Not only does this way work every time (because it takes into account variations in measurements and sizes), but you will become a better cook for doing it. Making mayonnaise is one of the things that makes you realise that your senses are the best test in the kitchen, that you should rely on knowing how things look, smell, feel and taste more than how a recipe says things should be done.

I totally respect everything you just said in here (in particular, the bits about smelling/feeling/tasting--i.e. thinking-- rather than blindly following a recipe), but you missed the part about where I used an immersion blender. You don't have to slowly add the oil in when you use one of those things. Pour in your aqueous stuff first, then your oil layer on top, and they'll stay separated. Start by putting the immersion blender in the very bottom of the aqueous layer and very slowly (well, that's a relative term for an immersion blender!) lift up, emulsifying your way to the top.

I don't mean to discount traditional whisk methods of mayo prep, but I also don't see the point in avoiding the immersion blender when I already own it for when I want less chunky soups, particularly when I can spend the time working on another component of the food. That said, it IS a method I need experience with, and not something I'm discounting entirely. I just don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm some monkey-see-monkey-do-must-follow-recipe pod person.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Last night, I made vangi bhat from Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking, which is spicy eggplant and rice. Since I've only done a tiny bit of Indian cooking, I followed the recipe fairly closely.

I've got a question about the first cooking step, the tarka. Sahni doesn't name it as such, but I saved one of dino.'s posts about this (see below). However, when making the vangi bhat, I followed Sahni's directions: I heated up sesame oil to medium-high heat, then simultaneously added black mustard seeds and black cumin. The seeds popped but not vigorously, and took nearly 4 minutes to do so! Was the oil not hot enough? Or did the actual choice of oil interfere with the splattering? She recommended a mild sesame oil, but I didn't want to buy another bottle of oil when I already had toasted sesame oil (Japanese, according to the bottle). I also cooked it in the only cooking vessel I own large enough to accommodate the full recipe, a 5.5 quart enameled dutch oven.

Perhaps I should have followed dino.'s post (bolding mine) from the thread about eating well without lots of money:

dino. posted:

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over highest heat. When the oil shimmers and moves around the pan easily, sprinkle in the mustard seed evenly across the surface of the oil, and STEP BACK. The mustard seeds will pop, and try to escape the pan. This is normal. To corral them in, slap on a splatter guard or the lid for the pot. Wait about 15 - 30 seconds for the popping noise to subside, and add the cumin seeds. Stir lightly for 15 seconds, and add the sesame seeds, the pinch or two of turmeric, and the chopped vegetables. Stir well. If you take too long to add your chopped vegetables, the sesame seeds will fly all over your kitchen, and the turmeric will burn, as will the rest of the spices. Be quick about it, and you're fine.
This implies that the tarka should be FAST. What are the advantages to a slower versus faster tarka? Part of me thinks that the faster tarka could cause more oils (or something) to be released during the popping since the heat difference is greater, but another part thinks that a slower tarka could ultimately result in the same amount of oils while reducing the chance for burning. Does this even dramatically affect the outcome? Yes, yes I am sperging, but I'm curious about tarka and don't want to remake the dish with a faster tarka, sue me.

Still tasted AMAZING though, so fragrant and spicy, especially with the homemade curry powder!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you SO much, dino.! I've got some follow up questions if that's okay...

dino. posted:

doing any kind of tarka over a medium high heat assumes that you've got a super powerful flame that's sitting underneath a fairly thin kadai (or wok). Trying that mess over medium with a giant hulking brute of an enamelled Dutch Oven is asking for the thing to take forever and a day.
1) Alright, I won't use the Dutch oven monster again! :) Do you recommend obtaining a stainless steel pan that's 5-6 quarts in size with a lid that's also NOT heavy-bottomed? I guess I'm nervous about getting something without a heavy bottom because I'm imagining burning rice or something. I'm probably just being stupid.

dino. posted:

Whenever I or my mother are doing a South Indian type tarka, we'll put the pan over bare heat, while gathering the spices and the curry leaves, and giving the ginger a quick grate. Then, when the pan smokes, in with some fat, and lift off the heat. The fat of choice needs to be canola, peanut, or corn. It needs to be able to stand up to very high heat. Then, in with mustard seeds, swirl, and wait for about 10 - 30 seconds; swirl again. They will splutter, they will pop, and get all over the place. It's fine. Put the pan back on the stove.
2) So let the mustard seeds pop while the pan ISN'T actively on the burner? If the pan isn't heavy-bottomed, then it seems like heat will be lost too quickly and the mustard seeds won't have sufficient time to do their thing. Along those lines, it is to be expected that the actual sputtering/popping process can take more than 30 seconds? Oh my god I am such an idiot, I am so sorry.

dino. posted:

Put the pan back on the stove. Then in with any other spice, like cumin, coriander, asafoetida, etc. Then in with the curry leaves. Then in with the ginger. FINALLY now you can add any powdered spices, like turmeric, paprika, ground red chile, etc. Why? Because the aromatics prevent the powdered spices from burning.
3) When adding the cumin, coriander, etc., do you add those one at a time, or is it okay to dump them all in at once?

Thank you again for your help and, more importantly, patience. It must seem so simple and obvious to you! The next dish I want to try is tandoo kootoo, which Sahni describes as "Tanjore Broccoli and Mung Bean Stew with Coconut"- I've got nearly all the ingredients already, so it seems a sensible choice.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

You're amazing, dino. I can't possibly thank you enough for sharing your experience and knowledge; you've completely destroyed every other food author I am aware of when it comes to explaining this stuff.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

What is your favorite cut of meat that is difficult to obtain? I mean strange pieces that you know of only because you are a butcher or friends with one, not boxed crap that is sent to Safeway. Optimal cooking method doesn't matter, nor does animal. I happen to love braising and beef cheeks are my favorite, for what it's worth.

I want to broaden my horizons, but not randomly so please give your suggestions! I usually just make whatever the butcher has carved up, which means that the cuts I have tried to successfully cook myself are:
- beef bavette/brisket/shank/cheeks/chuck roast/heart/filet mignon/ribeye/porterhouse/New York strip
- pork tenderloin/belly
- lamb shoulder
- duck whole
- chicken whole/legs/breasts
- turkey breast
- goat NOTHING how has that happened????

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

1) After grinding up seeds for various dishes, I am so freaking pissed that I used to purchase things like "ground cumin". I need some cardamom- does it matter if I grind from black or green cardamom pods? Furthermore, do I just take a hammer and crush the pods to get seeds, discard pods, and grind seeds?

2) Can you heat fresh leaves in a dry pan on the lowest heat possible, and grind the leaves up to get your own supply of oregano, thyme, etc, or is there a far more superior and super secret method available?

3) Mixing and match (pink) masoor dal and (yellow) moong dal in a stew- gross flavor combination or delicious? Recipe calls for the moong dal only, with broccoli and coconut.

4) Fresh coconuts. My store has 'em. But are these gross like tomatoes-at-the-store-gross, and should be subbed with canned coconut pulp (I guess you would call it)? Same question for tamarind- buy the fruit or the bricks or the concentrate or the paste?

Also, guess what! Methi seeds are the same thing as fenugreek seeds! Agh.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 20, 2012

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

Throw everything in a pot (and water and salt) set the oven at 110c, in goes the pot for 4+ hours, take it out when you're ready, and reduce it down untill it has the taste you want. It's fine to leave it in there overnight if you want (doesn't turn bitter).

No need to freeze the stock if you use it within the next week or so.

Reason for oven: you want a slow simmer, and it is easier to hit that in the oven, just below boiling.

Yeah, but don't add salt yet. Add it after you've added the stock to whatever dish you want to ultimately prep, otherwise you run the risk of the stock/final dish being too salty.

You could also save the bones in the freezer, and once you've roasted another chicken (or 2 or 3) make a more concentrated pot of delicious stock from all the accumulated bones.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

The only bad thing is when you forget that you've stockpiled a bunch of bones and then you clean out your freezer and discover something like ten carcasses from five species...

I barely had room for any water in my 10-qt stock pot when I finally threw them all in. That was my first experience with truly gelatinous stock, and I was totally confused by it. Now I know that's what it's supposed to do, thanks to this thread in fact!

How is this a bad thing? :confused:

The first time I made a beef stock, it was gelatinous. I thought I had made inedible poison. I even posted in GWS (probably this thread) asking about my "beef jello". I literally had no idea that stock could and should be gelatinous, it just fundamentally never occurred to me.

Truthfully, I've never been able to get a gelatinous poultry stock. Maybe I'm not using enough bones? I'm going to skip the root vegetables next time, freeing up space in the pot for more carcasses.

RazorBunny posted:

That batch included several chickens and Cornish game hens, beef bones, a duck carcass, lamb bones, turkey bones, and a whole picked rabbit carcass. It was really good, but it felt a little weird to be combining so many disparate creatures into the mix.
Good lord, this is part of heaven.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2012

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I've been able to get a decent gel out of chicken carcasses, using 3-4 chickens worth. Are you including the chicken skin in the mix? I also let mine reduce a fair bit - usually I only get about three quarts out of an initial ten quarts of bones and water.

I use the leftover carcass- the bones plus the leftover skin/fat/meat that we don't end up eating. I want your gelatinous stock, though! Should I be doing only bone?

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Help me GWS. I remember reading a good-lookin chili recipe in here a long time ago, but I can't find the thread. I think it was a mod challenge thread (the op had a lot of processed/dumb ingredients and refused to listen to advice I think) but I can't find it in either the goldmine or the gas chamber. The problem is I wanted to do the recipe but I only copied down the ingredients list, not the procedure. If it helps, the ingredients are:
brown 2 lbs of lean ground beef (or 1 lb of beef and 1 lb of sausage meat)
2 cans of beans
chop up an onion
chop up a green pepper
28oz can of crushed tomatos
8oz can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
hot peppers/chilis to taste

Does anyone know where that thread is, or if not, can anyone break down how I should make the chili? I've never made chili before. I think I just kind of cook the meat in a big pot and gradually add the other ingredients?

There's a chili thread on page 1 or 2 of GWS. And that's a sad chili recipe, with way too much tomato for starters. You're much better off reading the thread and then following a recipe in there or coming up with your own. For the record, I also used to make sad ground beef chili with sad canned crap with sad store bought chile powder creating sad, sad flavor. Get thine rear end to the chili thread!

(And if you insist on using tomato sauce, good lord make your own; any canned crap is going to be overwhelmingly sugary!)

Edit- yup the chili thread is on page 1 of GWS

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I wonder if maybe you should just save up more carcasses, and increase the amount of material you're putting in the pot. Or...Maybe it's a temperature thing? I always let mine come up to just under a boil for most of its simmer time, maybe you're simmering at a lower temperature and the collagen doesn't melt out of the bones or something.

I assume more bones are necessary- more collagen in the pot means more gelatin... mmmmmm stock...

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

To make me feel better about my failing brain/health, my family surprised me with Modernist Cuisine. WHAT DO I MAKE FIRST??????

Re:grocery chat- I go through phases where I solely extensively plan meals versus just buying what's on hand at the butcher and grocery. In the past few months, I've now settled on 50/50. I try to make at least 3 new dinners per week (new with respect to ingredient or technique) and really plan lists around then, and then for the rest I let availability guide me. The latter has led to lots of mashed potatoes, soups and stews, and various grilled meat. Having parents who rarely cooked growing up, most stuff qualifies as "new" to me; it's kind of fun trying to decide what to try making next since the options are limitless! Example: I never roasted (or even tried) a pork tenderloin until a few months ago, somehow. But now I freaking love that cut, and make a yummy pan sauce out of dry sherry and my (sadly dwindling) supply of duck stock. I didn't make my first loaf of bread until last December, how messed up is that?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

So you go to a deli and they put oil and vinegar on your sandwich, and it's intensely yummy. What kind of oil and vinegar is it typically?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

A friend gave me a huge amount of venison salami with bits of cheese and red pepper in it. It's pretty tasty on it's own, but is there anything I can cook it into that is interesting?

That sounds loving delicious, good lord.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I actually shuddered a little because the first thing I thought of was Oscar Mayer pimento loaf.

:gonk: I am thrilled to say that I have never eaten that. It sounds revolting.

Other pre-made items that skeeve me out similarly:
- tubs of cream cheese spread (not actually cream cheese) with smoked salmon flavor with an ingredient list a mile long
- tubes of chocolate chip cookie dough (I used to love that stuff when I was in college, but now? poo poo doesn't even taste like chocolate chip cookies, there is this horribly off-putting acidic aftertaste that doesn't taste like food)
- ??

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I want to make a variation of this recipe for spicy black beans and tomatoes, but I don't have a slow cooker. I was just going to use my dutch oven. The blogger sets the slow cooker temp to "high" and continuously checks back after a few hours.

Any idea on what temp I should set the oven to? My thought was 260 F, but I wasn't sure if that was too low or too high. Usually, when I braise meat, I do 275 F, but I haven't done too much with beans in the past to be perfectly honest.

Second question: the blogger uses fire-roasted with garlic canned diced tomatoes, but I was just going to chop up fresh tomatoes/garlic, grind a shitton cumin from seeds, keep the jalapeno and salt, and add a good bit of freshly ground black pepper for flavoring. Any other extras that would be good to add?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Whats the best brand of (vegetable) soup base to use? I've used Better Than Bouillon before, and its drat decent, but on a lark I decided to try some Rapunzel brand that I found in whole foods.

I just made a pot pie with it and surprise surprise, it tastes like powdered soup mix :argh:

No rants about making my own stock please

So you don't want to make your own stock but you do want to use pre-made stuff that doesn't take like pre-made but in fact tastes like stock? Well, then.

Honestly, you're probably better off buying the whatever hot veg soup your grocery store makes instead of powdered stuff if you really insist on (a) not making your own, (b) wasting your money, and (c) using an inferior product. Or find a restaurant that does carry-out and buy their hot veg soup. If you want just liquid and no veg chunks, just strain it.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Correnth posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chicken salad (for sandwiches) recipe?

I like to cook seasoned chicken in butter and bacon fat, toast some slivered almonds, and mix that all up with mayo (and salt and pepper, as needed). Serve on really delicious fresh sourdough or 9 grain bread.

But I like a simple (boring, though) chicken salad. No grapes, no interesting oils, so ymmv I guess. That pesto chicken salad sounds good, though!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Do baked potatoes really explode if you don't poke holes in them?

In the oven, not the microwave....

Only one way to find out.... You must gather empirical data! For :science:!

(I'd be shocked if they exploded in the oven; I doubt the built-up pressure from the steam is sufficient to cause explosion. But there could be lots of unpleasant steam in your eyes when you first cut into the potato- that'd be my main concern, at least. However, I've never baked a whole potato before (how is that possible? good lord), so maybe it would explode and I'd have egg/potato all over my face.)

SUPER NERDY FAKE EDIT- find out the relative amount of water in a given potato, then do a back-of-the-envelope calculation!

Reasonable fake edit- google/you tube, because you just know someone has done a thorough experiment on exploding potatoes and video recorded it.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Making smitten kitchen's tomato and sausage risotto tonight for dinner. This will be my first risotto attempt. Risotto scares me, thanks to Gordon Ramsey. Is smitten kitchen's technique novice-proof, or does anyone have any words of wisdom to add? I'm mainly concerned about "Continue adding tomato mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender". How the hell do I feel that?

Hawkgirl posted:

I've accidentally microwaved little fingerling potatoes without poking holes in them, and they don't so much explode as just burst a little bit. They're just not as pretty as a properly poked microwaved potato. It's not an "oh holy poo poo" explosion like microwaving an egg.
I really wanna microwave various crap to watch it explode, it's like the 5 year old kid inside of me bursts out triumphantly when my proximity to the microwave increases.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Valdara posted:

Next Monday through Thursday I will be living in a hotel with a mini fridge and microwave. I'll also have a $25 per day food stipend. What are some things I could do to feed two people on $25 per day with the tools available? I don't want to get thrown out so no crockpot.

Protein-
While cooked protein will be more expensive, getting one of those ~$10 hot rotisserie chickens from a nearby grocery store could be a good investment. It would be tasty, reheats nicely as well as tastes good cold, and is relatively filling.
BACON, since you can microwave that poo poo!!!! Bring paper towel.
Sandwich fixings (serve with bread obviously... or not)
Pepperoni or other deli meat

Fat-
Cheeses- bricks are much more economical tha pre-sliced or pre-shredded. You just need a lovely knife to cut off some thick-ish slices.
Cream cheese or butter (for bagels in the morning)
Whole milk- would definitely help fill you up

Carbohydrates-
Instant oatmeal (made with the milk, a dab of butter will work nicely in there)
Bananas, apples, berries, etc
Dark chocolate
Sandwich bread
Bagels
Various veg (red bell pepper, celery, carrot, etc) with some kind of ranch dip
Can of beans (could you just microwave them in a bowl? I've never actually done that)

There's lots you can do as long as you're willing to shuffle around what you would normally require in a meal. It's just for a few days, so that hopefully isn't a huge problem!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

1) Does risotto freeze well? This one has got tomatoes, sausage, and onion in it.

2) This no-knead pizza dough makes a billion pizzas worth of dough. It rises once at room temp for 2 hours after combining dough ingredients, then it lives in the fridge for upwards of 7 days before cooking the pizza. When do I freeze leftover dough- after the 2 hour rise, or after the 7 day fridge-sojourn?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

arancini (breadcrumb coated, cheese stuffed, deep fried leftover risotto balls)

Holy poo poo! I am so going to cook that!!! :swoon:

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I've got a truckload of fresh bing cherries. What is your most amazing cherry pie recipe????

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Fraction posted:

What are some tasty, easy dishes to do with chicken livers? I used some today with bacon, in red wine with a side of rosemary-stuffed mashed potatoes, and they were delicious.

Yeah, you're gonna need to pony up exactly what you did here. It sounds wonderful! (please?)

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Ack, help! I'm making rib roast, also known as cote du bouef/ "yabba dabba do" from the French Laundry cookbook. Keller says to season the meat the night before "and place on a plate and refrigerate for one day". But do I cover the meat with tin foil or just stick that baby uncovered in the fridge? I don't want to dry out the meat. But maybe it's supposed to? Help, I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving!

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

SubG posted:

I'm not familiar with Keller's recipe, but I'd assume that he means uncovered. You can actually do this with beef until it appears pretty drat janky; you're pretty much just using your fridge to dry age the meat. A fridge is a pretty arid environment, so you're drying the meat slightly, which results in a deeper, `beefier' flavour.

There's also natural breakdown of tissue in the presence of oxygen, which has the effect of making the meat more tender. Combined with the flavour concentration this can really help out beef---usually you're forced to choose between flavourful and tough or tender and less flavourful, unless you get fancy with slow cooking, sous vide, or something like that.

That all being said, the effects are going to be pretty slight if you're just holding the meat overnight. But yeah, I'd guess uncovered and don't worry about it.

Awesome, thank you! The meat is now uncovered. It sure is a gorgeous cut.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

Roast everything first, just in the oven and give it a nice little roast..

Everything goes in the pot - skin, meat and bones (not really neccessary to put in the meat though - but hey...)

A little bit of salt, and some veggies (green of leek, carrots, onions that has been blackened (by bad humors in your bedroom) but nothing starchy)... Then low and slow for a few hours - I usually put it in the oven for 5 or 6 hours at 110-120*c and then take out, and reduce...

You should scum it at the beginning too - a couple of times ladeling the scum out of it, untill you've gotten the most out.

Let it congeal, and then scrape off the fat from the container (this is schmaltz, I think it is disgusting, but some people use it for some stuff).

It should end up as a jelly.

My stock adventures have never gone down this route. The way I do it is (thanks to another goon from these forums + my butcher):
1. collect enough bones to fill whatever pot you use, with half of the bones as chicken feet
2. roast everything first
3. add bones to pot to capacity, fill the crevices with water (NO SALT- add salt to taste when you're actually making a dish with the stock; NO VEG- after lord knows how long on the heat, veg flavor just disappears imo)
4. simmer for 6+ hours (don't bother to skim the scum off)
5. strain solids out, come to room temp, go into the fridge
6. fat rises to the top of the stock-jelly, and slice/spoon the fat off
7. voila! rich gelatinous jelly

One chicken varcass + veg has NEVER made an unctuous stock-jelly for me (it makes pleasant chicken-water however), though admittedly I've never reduced the pot in an oven. I one hundred percent agree about pre-roasting the bones, but I never actually put meat in the pot, except for leftover gristle from a whole roasted chicken- why waste perfectly delicious meat when the bones and gristle get the job done?

Chicken feet are absolutely the best for stock.

Yehudis Basya fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I've got 1/2 lb beef chorizo and 1/2 lb ground beef. How do I turn these into delicious meatballs? Or really anything? I've not cooked with chorizo before, don't wanna waste the flavors.