Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Yeah if you cook chicken for eight hours it's going to end up in some kind of disorienting texture hell, please don't do that to animal-meats. Also if you decide to do that beef thing (that's your call, I'm not the boss of your kitchen) strongly consider taking the time to brown the beefs before slow cooking them, that way it tastes like food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

zerox147o posted:

One place I'll disagree with on this point is when I make a bastardized version of jambalaya in which I just throw whatever leftover steak, chicken, and sausage I have from the week into a slow cooker with rice and cook it for 6-8 hours until it is some weird looking meat paste that is utterly delicious and my college hangover cure of choice.

My college hangover cure of choice was corned beef hash from a can, I have no room to critique your mistakes.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Seems a little silly to say 'it got dissed in the other place so I put it here because someone new to cooking won't know any better.'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
I got this brisket sitting in the fridge and I kind of want to do it with horseradish/ potato pancakes and a cucumber salad, because cucumbers are finally a quarter at the farmer's market. I'm kind of meated out though, these days, any ideas on something interesting?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
I braised it.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Oski posted:

My sister made chicken stock using the left over bones from a bucket of KFC. Apparently it was really good and the stock was slightly spicy.

I saved the bones from some take away BBQ ribs which I was planning to use with some chicken carcasses and duck bones to make an awesome mixed stock but now I'm worried it'll just taste of BBQ sauce. Worth trying or should I chuck them?

Do it separate, imo. If you're stuck on mixing them make two pots of stock and taste both and decide then.

Anybody have woodland themed appetizer/finger food ideas? It's for a baby shower and I think an aunt is making pinecone doughnut things or something and I got left with the actual food. Thirty or forty people coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Chard posted:

I was at the shop earlier and on a whim i picked up a bag of "beanitos" as a snack. They're pretty drat good but a little pricey, and they seem simple enough that I want to try recreating them. So far the only results Google is giving me are just idiot gluten-free blogs reviewing them and recipes using them out of the bag.

The only ingredients are navy beans, whole grain rice, sunflower/safflower oil, guar bean gum, and seasalt. They're similar in texture to tortilla chips but a little thinner and more brittle, and less salty. If I can figure this out I'll make them all the time, but I've never made chips and I don't know where to begin. Ideally they will still be low-ish fat so probably no frying. Any tips?

I want to know how these turn out, they're awesome