Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat

General Venereal posted:

I'm not sure which thread this question would be more appropriate in - but I have a Spanish thyme plant and I'm not going to be able to use all the leaves before the plant inevitably starts dying on me. Anyone know if it's better to dry the thyme (in the oven), or freeze it? I'm hoping to preserve as much flavor as possible, for as long as possible.

I have a question related to General Venereal's about keeping herbs (or veggies, in my case). Just as a fun experiment, I picked up a couple little habaņero starters in the Spring, and now have nice pepper bushes full of delicious, gut-burning golden goodies. The problem is, I'd like to be able to save them (or at least, their heat) for making chili this winter. Is there a good way to do that, while maintaining as much flavor as possible? It really wouldn't break my heart to make a steaming pot of chile for the next 8 weeks to use them up, but I'd really prefer to space it out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat

Mach420 posted:

On topic, I'm about to smoke up a big chunk of pulled pork tomorrow. Is brining a good idea or is putting on some rub and saran wrapping it overnight good enough?

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this as well, but here's my experience from about a month ago. I had a roughly 6 lb butt roast that I made pulled pork out of. No brining, no previous prep. Just before putting on the grill, I covered the whole thing in thin coat of mustard, then covered with homemade rub. After that, onto the grill it went, for about 8 or 9 hours if I remember right. Toward the end, I basted with a mix of 2 parts vinegar, 1 part apple juice, 1 part cooking oil.

I was very satisfied with the results, but expanding on Mach420's question, is there some pre-cook prep that should be done to the meat to make it even more delicious?

edit:
Oops, checked my post in the grilling thread that I made about this, I actually cooked the thing 11 hours. Here's what this beautiful butt looked like after just two hours:

MrBishop fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2011