Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Squashy Nipples posted:

I need a large slow cooker so I can make pulled pork from the biggest shoulders. The options on Amazon don't impress; lots of complaints in the comments about how it's much smaller then 8 quarts:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33182A-Cooker-8-Quart/dp/B00EZI26C8

Is there a commercial alternative? When I see slow cooking on DDD, it's either in a hotel pan in a commercial oven, or in a smoker.
I have a normal home slow cooker, but I can fit pretty huge pork shoulders in there. Don't be afraid to cut the shoulder up into a few chunks to make it more compact. Also, if the pork maybe goes a little high and the lid isn't quite as tight/flush as you might like, throw on some heavy stuff (canned vegetables are handy) until it sits normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Don't put it in the Dutch oven with the lid off. Put it on a flat pan (on top of the vegetables or a V-rack if you have one). You'll have crispier skin without the sides on the Dutch oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mr. Clean will probably scrub off the nonstick.

Get good paper towels, soak them thoroughly, drape them over the cruddy area. Turn it on for just a couple of minutes. Get some gloves on, turn it back off, and while it's still hot, use the paper towels to wipe off the softened and loosened crud. This is magic for George Foreman grills, so it should work on yours too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My only concern would be if there's a lot of lemon and the acidity messes with the texture of the chicken a little. Still edible, cover it in white sauce and I'm sure you wouldn't notice it.

I gotta say, though, that recipe isn't very close to halal carts imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You know how you can take a frozen steak, sear the hell out of it, and finish it in the oven? No reason not to do that with a thick pork chop, right?

(I wouldn't freeze a pork chop for this, but it's already frozen and I don't have time to defrost it.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You should look up Guy Fieri, I think you'll be very impressed by his work.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Next time get the kind in a squeezy tube.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Methanar posted:

I'm poor and have 1 pot, 1 pan and 1 cookie sheet.

I have eaten nothing but pizza, noodles, eggs, garlic sausage and other garbage for the last 3 months and I am starting to feel the effects of scurvy.

What is something cheap that is easy to make in relative bulk?
You missed the 70-page "help I'm poor and I want to make good food" thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I got a good food processor for Christmas! I know it'll be good for doughs and pastry, I'm all over that, but what else should I make a point of trying? I've never had a chopper, blender, anything like that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It could be because I'm a dummy who learned wrong, but for a lot of everyday stuff -- vegetables, chicken, whatever -- I use a biggish paring knife rather than a full chef's knife. I can do it with a chef's knife (and I'm trying to get those skills up too), it just feels defter with the smaller blade. I'm 5'9", but I have medium-small hands (for a woman). I have all Wusthofs if that makes any difference.

Happiness Commando posted:

Hummus, pesto, nut butters, mayo, falafel, pasta

guppy posted:

Hummus! Salsa!

Be careful about doughs, you don't want to overtax the motor. I do it, I make white bread and pizza dough in there all the time, but I made 100% whole wheat bread the other day and it was so thick I was concerned I might be damaging it.
Thanks! It has a good motor so I'm hopeful, but I probably won't do 100% whole wheat anyway. The ATK "no machine" pasta dough is definitely #1 on my list, and spinach pesto to go on it. :getin:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would make the full batch because I'm lazy and I like scampi. When you want to reheat, I would pick out the shrimp, then chop them in half while reheating the rest. When you throw them back in, the hot pasta should take the chill off the shrimp without recooking/overcooking them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

guppy posted:

So I bought this, not realizing it was smoked:

Is it pre-prepared and meant to be eaten as-is? Or am I still supposed to cook it?
Yes, eat it as-is, it's great (assuming you like fish). I stick it on crackers and call it a day -- it's especially a summer staple for me.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 18, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I do oven ribs a ton. I put them on a rack with liquid in the bottom like yours, but then I wrap the whole deal in foil. Low heat for a couple hours, then drain the pan, open all the windows, and crank the heat to finish. I've tried a bunch of methods, and that's the best I've found. These are dry-rub ribs, btw, no sauce on mine.

For the liquid, water is totally fine. But if I have apple cider hanging around, I'll use that (straight), and it's even better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, I wrap the whole thing in foil. Rimmed pan with liquid -> elevated rack -> ribs -> foil. I mean I don't wrap the bottom of the pan, just crimp it around the edges, but the point is to hold in all the steam and condensation.

And I use apple cider the drink, not apple cider vinegar!

e: if you do this, it isn't super easy to clean and I'm really not joking about opening the windows, but it's worth it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can certainly give it a try, but I think parchment paper would be a pain in the rear end to construct and impossible to make even sort of vaportight. An oven bag might work better, but I like arranging the foil so it's above the meat, not plastered to it. Also foil is cheaper and I always have it on hand.

I think it would theoretically be best and easiest with a monster dutch oven that would fit a rack of ribs plus the metal rack to elevate it. The down side is it'd be a million dollars and a million pounds. You'd also have to use another setup without sides for the final blast of high heat.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 4, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I also do a variant with country ribs (translation: not actually ribs, you can get them boneless). It's not as good, but still fine.

Just so we're on the same page, even using real ribs, it's not going to be just like actual smoked ribs. But I live in New York City, so unless I win the lottery, I'm not getting any outside space to put a smoker. In that situation -- or if you're currently buried under 10" of snow -- this method is pretty good.

In the absence of a smoky taste (and real bark, smoke ring, etc.) I think your dry rub becomes more important, but luckily it's hard to go wrong. Amazing Ribs has a rub recipe that's good as-is or as a starting point. If you want a mix, Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas is my favorite. I haven't experimented with liquid smoke, but that might be something to try (carefully, according to Amazing Ribs guy). Or ATK does a method where you gently caress around with lapsang souchong for a smokier taste, but :effort:.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm looking to buy natural liquid smoke for a reasonable price, hopefully in person in NYC.

The main brands' ingredients include stuff like molasses, vinegar, artificial flavoring and coloring -- no thanks.

Lazy Kettle is what I'm looking at now (ingredients: water, smoke). MSRP is $5 but on Amazon a bottle is $11. It's $5 or less on various other sites, but I'd have to pay a stupid amount of shipping for one bottle. Does anyone know a store or chain in NYC that stocks it? Or another brand with no other ingredients?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm obsessed with Old Bay on popcorn. The only issue is it doesn't stick very well. Any way to fix that without butter/oil?

On a less healthy note, I'm also a fan of "white cheddar" popcorn like Smartfood. Is it possible to make at home without tons of effort?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My grandma did the same thing a couple times, once on Thanksgiving, which was exciting. I would wait for it to cool and break out a paint scraper.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Quinoa has more protein than oats, but granola is always going to be sweet carbs, that's what it's about. If your goal is protein, eat an egg.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
An ice pack will keep boiled eggs at least until lunch. Other high-protein portable foods are jerky, Greek yogurt, protein powder, some nondairy milks, shelf-stable pouches/cans of fish or meat. Nuts have some protein but more fat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mise en place is for commercial kitchens or for food bloggers. Normal people (who do their own dishes) don't cook that way because, yup, it dirties every dish in your kitchen. Get a couple sizes of mixing bowls at the dollar store. Next time, pour the soy sauce in there, break out a Tbsp and measure your sugar and dump it in the same bowl, keep the Tbsp on the side of your sink until you need to measure the sake into it.

Sometimes you have to keep elements separate until a certain point (like wet/dry when baking), and in that case obviously do it, but you definitely do not need a separate adorable ramekin for each separate ingredient of every recipe.

v even in the stir-fry example, I would just shove each ingredient into its own heap in the corners of my cutting board. I really don't want to wash unnecessary dishes I guess! The only thing to be careful about with cutting boards, reusing bowls/etc., is obviously raw meats. For those it's definitely worth doing some extra dishes.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 2, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't stress this enough: All the highfalutin molecular gastronomy bullshit aside, sodium citrate is a chemical everyone should have in their pantry.
What do you use it for other than cheese?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I found a grocery store near me that sells salmon offcuts(?) -- basically everything left after the filets are taken off: whole head, spine with some meat, fins, tail. I roasted and picked one, and now I have 13 oz (370 g) of delicious tiny fatty salmon bits.

This batch is destined for kedgeree tomorrow, but what are some other things I can do with it? I'd rather use the salmon bits than make stock/soup out of the whole thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's traditional to dip artichoke leaves in butter. If you have compound butter on hand, even better, or you could be lazy and sprinkle in a little garlic powder.

Re: onion powder, Penzey's makes toasted onion powder, and hnnnnng so good. Put that on a pork chop, and you get the taste of traditional pork and caramelized onions, but with a gorgeous crust.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Speaking of fish, I have a dumb question. A great fishmonger opened near me and I've been eating whole fish like it's my job. I mean cheap little guys -- porgy, mullet, pompano, branzino, mackerel.

Anyone know whether they would have been frozen? For bonus points, any guesses where they come from?

The fish guys are really nice but we don't have any languages in common. The fish are in good shape, smell good, eyes usually bright. They're totally whole, only cleaned and scaled after I choose them. And the ones I get are mad cheap, $2-4/lb on sale. I live in NYC, and there's plenty of fishing up and down the east coast, but :iiam:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No need to go even that far, you can get porgy, mullet, mackerel right off New Jersey. Do they get them there, who knows . . .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hey so I am going for stripers (and blues) tonight. Any recipe recommendations for striper? I've never actually cooked it before.
Striped bass? I just made one last week, it's delicious. Sorry this is late, but maybe it'll help for next time.

I'm guessing you know more than me about scaling it and cleaning it, but uhh you want to do those. Fins, tail, and gills off, head on. Rub it with olive oil outside and in, give it whatever spices you like (but not too much/many, the point is to taste the fish), and throw it in a very hot oven. I do it on a rimmed sheet covered with foil, but you could also use a pan or cast-iron or whatever.

While it's cooking, look up on youtube how to take it apart. You don't have to watch a video about bass specifically, they're all put together the same way (but bass is easier because the bones are bigger). Your goal is to end up with two filets, and then you can pick the rest clean. I am a shameful goon so I set the filets aside, then get fish bits up to my elbows while I clean every bone and swoon over the tail/collar/cheeks. Then I wash my hands so I can pretend to be a civilized human while I go serve the filets.

If you ever have extra, feel free to hook me up out of gratitude. . . .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

psychokitty posted:

I just took the batteries out of all the smoke detectors and cooked what I wanted bc yolo. Open windows, doors; use fans whatever. Cooking is life.
Agreed. I also got a superpowered fan that I can stick in the window next to the stove. Works well for smoke and smells, not well for grease.

Has anyone ever seen a hood that's set up to vent through the top of a window (rather than through a cutout)? I rent, and cutting a big hole through 100-year-old masonry is definitely not okay, but a semipermanent installation through a window could work . . .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

- I already note on physical media (magnetic pad on the fridge) when I'm out of something I just used. I just don't always end up at the shop when I plan/hope, so I've been surprised without a list a few times.

- Chances are, my phone is on me
When you want something, don't write it on the fridge, just type it into your phone in the first place. Notes app if you live alone, Google Docs or similar if you need to coordinate with someone else.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

This is still missing the "keeping track of what I have" part, as well, though.

I mean, I can write out a list of everything I have and manually change the number after it, but I was mostly just wondering if there was something that already did something like that, more elegantly.

Edit: I think I'm looking for something like this but I sure don't need to take pictures of eggs and milk...
When you run out of a staple (or open the last one of a staple), put it on the shopping list. There, now you always have butter and canned tomatoes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know if it's a family tradition, but mac & cheese seems really weird for Thanksgiving. I would do another vegetable, Brussels sprouts or something, instead. You also didn't include gravy?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The mashed potatoes are loaded and the asparagus has bacon. We don't need to go full meatship here. Beets are a great idea, though. My family has never had them for Thanksgiving and now I'm wondering why not . . .

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They liked the goose, the problem was there were eight of them and a turkey's a lot bigger :eng101:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Crème brûlée is delicious but not even close, effort-wise, to cake mix.

I would do oatmeal lace cookies spread thin, maybe shaped artsily while still warm, with varying dabs of chocolate, good jam, etc. Very little effort or time, good at room temp, nothing needed at their house.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Obvious but are you guys using cake flour as called for? And the baking powder is new?

Also, eggs were smaller back in the day. Not sure how much you want to play with that, but I have no idea what a 45-minute beating does to eggs chemistry-wise.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, it makes a huge difference, and so does new baking powder/soda!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I made chicken kievs for the first time and accidentally cooked one too many. Is there an okay way to reheat it? I'm thinking on a cookie rack in the oven, but I'm not sure what temp/time. Or you could talk me into doing it in a skillet if that would be better. The breadcrumbs are panko, if that matters, and the whole thing is amazing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

We always heated ours in the toaster oven on a little tray of foil to catch drippings. These were pre-made store bought frozen kievs, though. Back in the days of two parents working, me and sis in school. Post your recipe! I'd love to try making my own.
This is the first time I made them so nothing is guaranteed! I only ever heard of them a few months ago.

Herb butter: 2 sticks butter, a cup+ of parsley leaves, maybe a Tbsp of chives, 5 cloves of garlic, all combined in food processor. I made it into a sausage with plastic wrap, then threw it in the freezer for about 30-40 minutes for easier handling. You could go nuts and use any herbs you want. You could also use less; this was on the heavy side, but I like it that way.

Chicken: 5 breasts, butterflied then pounded thin (but not crazy thin) with a rolling pin because that's what I have. Give each one a good chunk of butter going down the middle. (I had plenty of leftover butter, which is fine because it'll be delicious on anything.)

I used transglutaminase (aka meat glue, Activa RM) on all but one. If you're using it, dust all the surfaces that will touch, roll it up well, and make each breast into another plastic-wrap sausage. Then leave it in the fridge for 4+ hours.

Breading: I used seasoned flour, two beaten eggs, and panko, in that order. I did one without meat glue out of curiosity, so I also toothpicked that one closed at this stage.

Cooking: Preheat oven to 375° F, and get your rimmed cookie sheet covered with foil and put a wire rack on top. That goes in the oven. The primary cooking method was shallow-frying (because I'm terrified of deep-frying) in a deep pot with about an inch of canola. I did them individually for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the panko looked delicious. I knew they'd still be under temp internally, so as each was done, I transferred it to the rack in the oven. They got about 15 minutes of additional cooking there.

I was really impressed by how easy it was. With the resting time, I couldn't do it (at least not the same method) on a weeknight, but I would totally do it again on a weekend or maybe across two weeknights. The meat glue worked well, which wasn't a big surprise, but I was impressed by how well the toothpicked one held up too. In general there was a little leakage, but >90% of the butter stayed inside and made for gorgeous money shots when they were cut open. I served them with mashed butternut squash, which I knew wasn't great colorwise, but so delicious I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Aluminum is discussed in the comments of that Serious Eats article.