Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I fancy making a Gratin Dauphinois, and I just found this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3253/ultimate-gratin-dauphinois

It seems easy enough for a beginner like me, but I have a couple of questions since I've no experience with this kind of dish:

1) It has only 1 clove of garlic for a kilo of potatoes. This seems like very little, I'd have thought 4-6 would be better, or would that be overpowering? (I'm a smoker, so I prefer food with a stronger flavour)

2) The recipe asks for desiree potatoes, but I live in the Netherlands and I don't know if I would be able to find them. Would normal, medium size potatoes be okay?

Of course, if anyone has a better recipe I'd be quite happy to see that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll split the difference with the garlic and just add 3.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Hey guys,

I'm making cottage pie tonight, but want to stop the potato sinking in to it. I'm going to be making the gravy thicker, but can someone give some tips on how to do the potatoes and putting it on top to stop it happening? Cheers.

If you're potatoes are sinking into the sauce, then either your gravy is too thin or you have too much gravy for the amount of meat and vegetables. Also try not to add too much potato at once, spoon it in in lumps about 1/2 the size of a tennis ball. Use a palette knife or spatula to spread it evenly, then use a fork to make little ridges over it. You may also want to brush a little milk over the top to help it brown, but it's not really necessary.

For the mash itself:

800g medium potatoes, peeled and quartered

Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until soft. Then put them in a bowl, add 40g of cubed butter, some salt (optional) and a couple of splashes of milk, then mash it until there are no more lumps.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 20, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I made my first reduction last night, and the recipe called for minced shallots. I ended up using a garlic crusher, but the results were pretty messy. Is there an easy way to mince them by hand, or should I just try and use a blender or something?

Speaking of blenders, I have a terrible urge to go buy one and get some frozen yoghurt and fruit to make smoothies. I tried looking online, but most of the recipes I found contain orange or pineapple juice, and they sound like they might be very sickly. Does anyone have any good Smoothie recipes or tips?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MagnumHB posted:

Like so.

He just chopped them up! :mad:

(Thanks, I had a feeling actually mincing them literally was overdoing it.)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

From left to right, minced, diced, and chopped:

Hmm, fair enough. For some reason I had it in my head that minced literally meant sort of crushed into mush.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've decided to try and make ice cream, and the recipe calls for 5 egg yolks. Is there anything relatively easy I can make with 5 egg whites (apart from Meringues)? It seems a shame to just chuck them away...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Cool, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow!

Also, operation Ice Cream is off to a great start, a pot of double cream burst in my bag on the way back from the shops and I had to walk home dripping white stuff all over the place :(

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Toasterdeath posted:

a friend of my was boiling water to cook tea. unfortunately she forgot about it and the water boiled out.

now the bottom of the pot has a lot of blackened/burnt sections.

is there anything that can be done to remove/clean it? i told her to try using regular dishwashing soap but she said that didn't really help much

thanks

You might try leaving it to soak with a mix of boiling water and vinegar. That will works with the tannin stains from the tea at least, though I don't know about the burnt on stuff.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Yeah, double cream is 48% fat here, I think you call it heavy cream in the US. I'll keep that in mind and use single cream next time (I believe that's the same as half and half)

It's not, single cream is about 35% fat, while half and half is 10-18%. I can't buy the stuff here either, but I found this webpage which explains how to make it by mixing milk and cream together:

http://www.ochef.com/902.htm

Also, my Ice Cream seems to actually be working :D I don't have an Ice Cream Maker, so I'm taking it out of the freezer every half hour and mixing with an electric whisk. It's been about 3.5 hours now, and last time I mixed it, the ice cream was still very soft, but when I mixed it, it was definitely more of a solid than a liquid until it'd been mixed for a couple of minutes. Is this a sign that it's nearly done? I've never done this before, and I'm not sure how much longer I need to keep mixing it before it's safe to just leave it in the freezer and forget about it til I want to eat it...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Huh, I thought single cream was about 18%...

According to wikipedia it's 35, maybe the stuff in your country is different though?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

From what I've gleaned, 18% is the average for real single cream in the UK, except for buttermilk cream, which is a bit higher.

Yeah, I looked again and you're right, it seems I was looking at the definitions for Australia :shobon:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just made the Chicken Alfredo described in the GWS wiki, but I have enough for another bowl tomorrow. What's the best way to reheat it? Should I add some oil and heat it in a pan for a couple of minutes, or should I try and use the microwave somehow (I have a microwave, but I almost never use it)?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Stirring in a little bit of milk/cream/water in a pot over low heat works pretty well if it's become a solid mass.

Well, it's more how I can reheat the chicken properly without burning the sauce or pasta, but that sounds like it's worth a try.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Ahh okay. I've been without a microwave for a long time, so I'm used to heating everything back up on the stove. A non-stick pan over medium-low and covered would be my choice.

Gotcha, thanks!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I have half a bottle of red wine I want to use up, and I found this recipe for chicken in red wine sauce, that looks pretty simple to do.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-and-red-wine-sauce/detail.aspx

The thing is, the recipe wants me to saute garlic on a medium high heat, then fry the chicken (presumably on the same heat) for ten minutes on each side. It sounds like complete overkill, won't this just burn the chicken and garlic? It looks to me like I should be doing this on a low or medium-low heat instead...

Drinking alone is no fun :(
vvvvvvvv

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Looks like you guys were right, I probably would have been better off drinking the wine. The sauce was actually quite nice, though I needed to use corn starch to thicken it, but the chicken was just dry and tasted overcooked. I also had to keep messing about scraping bits of burnt garlic out of the pan... Oh well, live and learn!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Randomity posted:

I know this is late but if you want to revisit this in the future, I would salt and pepper my chicken, sear it on medium high until just cooked through, then set the chicken aside. Turn heat down, add a little oil to the pan if it needs it, add garlic and sautee till softened and fragrant. Deglaze with the wine, scrape up all the bits left from cooking the chicken, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients except salt and pepper. Let that simmer until reduced to where you want it, season at this point. Stir in a couple tablespoons of cold butter, then add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce until warmed through. Eat! You're right, that recipe has the chicken cooking for way too long.

Thanks! I still have some wine left, so maybe I'll give that a try. Just one question: What do you mean by deglazing?

Edit: Never mind with the question, found the answer on Google.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 12, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kenning posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeh we had a really long cast-iron pan thread pre-peas. You could or not, but there's not all that much to say about it after. Feel free to make it though.

Maybe it would be a better idea to put it into the GWS wiki instead, then?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

I know I'm late to comment, but this is a myth. Drinking alone is perfectly fine. A good glass of wine at the end of a hard day of work is one of the greatest pleasures imaginable, and it doesn't matter if you're alone.

It's fairly subjective, I think. I don't particularly like the taste of wine, and only enjoy the sensation of being drunk when I'm chatting with friends and stuff. If I'm alone, alcohol just makes me feel tired and slow-witted.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

angor posted:

A couple of weeks back I roasted a head of garlic, mashed it up and mixed it into butter. It's been in the fridge and yesterday the power went out for about 15 hours. My question is, do I fry eggs in it or am I going to die of botulism poisoning?

I wouldn't eat it, it would be a bit dodgy even if you hadn't had a power cut yesterday. That's not to say you will get food poisoning from it, just that the risk is higher than I'd say is sensible.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Grushenka posted:

I noticed this morning that I'd left my refrigerator door slightly open overnight, as in it wasn't sealed but it was definitely not ajar. I'm assuming I'll have to toss stuff, right? I had some vacuum sealed bacon, some vacuumed sealed (I think) Spanish ham, and some tofu that comes in the sealed packets with water--would those all still be okay, or do I need to toss them? They still felt cold to the touch.

Anything sealed should be fine, the tofu should last a while anyways, and both the ham and bacon are cured, so they take a while to go off as well. The things that are most at risk are things that are already opened, especially dairy products and fresh meat and fish. Even then, given it was only 8-10 hours in a half cool fridge, you might well find that all of the stuff is okay.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It's okay if it's just soft, you should be able to tell it if it's turned rancid (it turns a sort of browny color). The reason I told the other guy to chuck his, was because it was two weeks old and had already been squidged into cooked garlic before being rechilled.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Indentured Servant posted:

Yesterday I tried making a sponge cake for my birthday. The recipe I used called for vanilla extract to be added to the batter. I noticed when I added it the batter went from perfect to somewhat deflated with large bubbles. I tried baking it and it didn't rise. I tried making the cake again and the same thing happened: the batter deflated, large bubbles appeared, and the cake didn't rise. Would I be right in thinking the extract, specifically the alcohol in it, ruined the batter? If not, what else could I try to do differently? I used the whole egg method if it matters.

e: this was the recipe: http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/2010/02/strawberry-shortcake-japanese-style.html

I'm not a baking expert by any means, but vanilla essence is a very common thing to add to cake recipes, so it seems odd that that would be the culprit. If I were you I'd try a different cake recipe, this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aclassicspongecakewi_9406

Uses a different method which I've used to make chocolate cakes successfully a few times before and it's much simpler (sift dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, mix, bake).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyone got a cake donut recipe that they like?

Someone posted this recipe for Doughnut Muffins:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/doughnut_muffins.aspx

a couple of weeks back, he said they were great.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

marlowe can you go posted:

Not sure if there was a better specific thread to ask this in, so I'm asking it here.

Last year I followed these instructions to make clarrey (spiced white wine with honey).

It says right there that for best results you should leave it to sit for a month. Well, I put it away and completely forgot about it so I suppose now it's been sitting for about twelve months.

If I attempt to drink this, will it make me very sick?

When wine goes off, it turns into vinegar, so you'll notice very fast if there's anything wrong with it. Otherwise, it's got so much alcohol and sugar in it, it would probably keep for years without going bad.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
My oven is off being repaired for 2 weeks, and I have some haddock fillet I need to cook. Problem is, I only know how to cook fish in the oven...

I kind of have a plan, though I have no idea if this is right:

1) Put fillet in a pan with milk, a chunk of onion, a bay leaf and salt and pepper
2) Simmer for a bit (10 minutes? I have no idea. Do I need to turn it? Should I keep the pan covered?)
3) Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a separate pan, mix in a couple of table spoons of flour, then slowly add the milk from the fish to make a white sauce, which I simmer for a few minutes, then add fresh parsley.

Is this a good idea? I always feel a bit lost trying to cook fish. The haddock fillet still has the skin on one side, I don't know if this changes anything.

Also, is there anything I can add to put in some extra flavor? I'm worried it'll taste a bit bland (I know I can add dill, but I can't stand the stuff).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Oil the skin, and plonk into a hot dry pan. Leave until the skin goes crispy. About five minutes is usually fine in my experience, but it's been a while, so take that with a pinch of salt. Serve on top of something.

Possibly over a chorizo and bean stew. Or mashed potato with plenty of cream, some peas and your parsley sauce. Or whatever you fancy.

If your heart is really set on poaching it, remove the skin first.

I'm not really sure what I want, so I'll try this. Thanks!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Enentol posted:

All of these are great, but if you really want to poach, remove the skin, make a court bouillon and turn these into paupiettes! Essentially, roll them up (fill them if you want), tie them if you need to, and then poach away!

Fish paupiettes look pretty nice, and give you a lot of options regarding various suaces, etc. I would do like a white wine and bechamel, with perhaps some hard salty cheese.

Sorry, didn't see your post at first. Maybe I'll try this too, assuming I can figure out what all the words mean :)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

I need some ideas for something easy that uses a ton of eggs and freezes well. I just came into possession of 4 dozen eggs dated 2 weeks from now and I'm leaving town for most of the week.

You could try making Spekkoek:

http://www.food.com/recipe/spekkoek-thousand-layer-spice-cake-144748

I don't think you can freeze it, but as a cake I think it should last a month or so in the fridge, if you wrap it tightly in cling film.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

I have four lbs. of boneless country style ribs in the crock pot right now that I rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano, and threw in a sliced onion and a head of fresh garlic (thanks dis astranagant!). I'd like to use the leftover juices after I remove and shred the pork to make a sauce. Any quick ideas, or is that a bad idea?

You could use flour and some chicken stock and/or milk to make gravy out of it, I think. Like this recipe here:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_gravy/

I've never actually done that with pork juices from a crock pot though...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I, umm, accidentally just spent 63 euros on meat. I wanted to get a pound of fillet steak to make this fancy stroganoff recipe I'd found, and then on a whim, decided I wanted to get some lamb steak I could fry up as well. Turns out fillet steak costs 85 euros per kilo, and the lamb was 75.

Anyways, I really have no idea what to do with the lamb, I'm not even sure what cut of lamb it is (I bought it in Holland, and the butcher told me it was the most expensive cut of lamb available). Anybody have any ideas for something which makes me appreciate the stupid amount of money I just spent on it?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Comic posted:

Without knowing what kind of lamb cut it is it's really hard to recommend something- but maybe a lamb curry? Look into Mediterranean/Greek recipes perhaps.

I've had a look round, and I'm pretty sure that it's Lamb Fillet, since I can cook it like Beef Fillet, and the butcher had to waste lots of meat trimming bits of before he gave it to me.

I was thinking maybe of doing this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambkebab_72360

Since it looks quite tasty, while still being simple enough that there's not much risk of me loving it up and destroying the meat.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's quality, just cook it super rare in hot cast iron.

That's an option too, but I'd want some kind of sauce or something to go with it, right? I like lamb well enough, but I'm not really the kind of person who just eats a piece of meat for meat's sake.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Take a picture of it. If someone told me they had the "most expensive cut" of lamb, I would assume it was a rack, but if you took a picture of it, we can confirm.

It's definitely not a rack, it looks like this:

The butcher cut it from a boneless piece of meat which was sort of American football shaped, and it had lots of bits of white, membrane stuff he had to cut away.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SatoshiMiwa posted:

So while shopping for the ingredients for a Spinach lasagna I picked up way more fresh Parmesan cheese than I needed (10oz's instead of 2). How long can the cheese keep uncooked and still be good? I plan to use some in omelets next week but that won't use near enough.

Any ideas for a good Parm dish I can use 8oz's in?

Alfredo Sauce! I've made this recipe a few times and it's great, though I prefer to replace the shrimp with diced chicken breast.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cajun_Fettucini_Alfredo_with_Optional_Shrimp

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yes, should be absolutely fine.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm in the Netherkands and I just had a döner kebab for lunch. It was made of scraps of veal, not ground up at all, which seems to be the norm for this country.
At least, I think it was veal ("Kalfsvlees" in Dutch).

I do go to quite a good Turkish place though, they make their own Lahmacun (no idea how to spell that), so I consider it a better class of greasepit than the usual.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Quick question, I just got a lot of Omaha Steaks as a christmas present from my work. I really love a nice, juicy steak but unfortunately my BBQ is put away for the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any slow-cooker or crock pot recipes for filet mignon or New York strips, preferably with bacon. I've looked around online but to no avail. Any ideas?

The reason there aren't any recipes for that kind of thing is that Filet Mignon is really expensive beef, and if you're going to stew it, you won't get results that are much better than if you'd just brought cheap braising steak. Apart from it being a pretty big waste of money, there's no reason why you can't stew it I guess.

quote:

The thing is cooking them in the pan either results in them being pink in the middle (ugh) or too dry. I figured slow cooker was the best way for them to be done and moist

If you seal the outside of the steak on high temperature for about 30 seconds per side, then cook it on a low heat for about 2-3 minutes each side, you should end up with medium well done steak which is neither. The exact times are fairly hard to gauge though, since they depend on the shape and thickness of the beef.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just made some proper Bolognese sauce for the first time, and I didn't realise how much salt there is in beef stock cubes, meaning that when I added way too much salt myself when seasoning. Is there anything I can do about this? It's almost inedible at the moment and I have loads left over.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case. I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience and chuck the rest away. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm want to try and make a sort of cheesy chicken and mushroom baked pasta dish I just found a recipe for, and it wants me to use a handful of dried Porcini mushrooms. The method is to soak the dried mushrooms in about 150ml boiling water, then reserve the water to use as a sort of stock later. Problem is, I'm not sure I'll be able to find them... Could I get away with using a few more normal mushrooms and maybe 100ml of mushroom stock from cubes instead?