Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just made a batch of buttermilk biscuits. I usually make them pretty big, since I like to use them for sandwiches, and they typically come out pretty well. However, this was the first time making them in a new apartment with a much smaller oven. I followed my recipe (which tends to make 5 big-rear end biscuits) and arranged them in a "star" pattern on a flat cookie sheet.

The one in the middle came out perfectly, but the rest got a bit burnt and didn't rise well on the sides facing to the outside (away from the other biscuits). The insides were barely cooked and I still got significant burning. Is there any way I could remedy the problem, i.e. using a pan with a lip or a cakepan or something, or am I just doomed to lovely baked goods with this oven? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Hmmm, I could give it a try with a pizza stone on a rack above the biscuits. Hopefully that'll help. I'm a bit worried about the crumb being underdone before the outside is overdone, but that might just be a consequence of making them so big. Maybe a lower temp would help that out.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Casu Marzu posted:

Lower heat, longer cook time.

Ahh, ok. I'll give it a shot. For some reason, I had it in my mind that biscuits need a short time / high temp bake, but now that I think about it, I don't know why I thought that.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just grabbed a nice little 3 pound pork shoulder on a whim as I passed by the local butcher. I just made a batch of pulled pork recently, and didn't really want to do that again. Is there any way to cook pork shoulder so that it's carvable, rather than pullable, but not incredibly tough? Would a brine work? I've never brined anything before, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

Okay, so I got 10lbs of carrots to eat all on my own and I'm trying to think of interesting ways of preparing them.

So far I got:

Carrot soup
Carrot fritters
Carrot cake
Steamed/sauteed/stir fried
Raw

Did I miss anything? Recipe suggestions are also welcome.

You can actually make a really interesting carrot 'jam' if you want. Just cook the carrots until soft, then puree them. Add tons of sugar (the recipe I used recommended 1 cup of sugar for every 1/2 pound of carrots, but I think I used less, I can't remember) and simmer it on the stove until it's jammy.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Lyssavirus posted:

So I went shopping hungry, and ended up buying a one pound brick of extra firm tofu. It was a dollar, and I'm poor so I figured a pound of protein for a dollar was a good plan. Buuuut now I have no loving clue what to do with the thing. I stuck it in the freezer since I remember reading that that makes the texture more pleasant, and I was thinking maybe frying it up in a pan and making some kind of tasty sauce for it, but beyond that I'm stumped. What are good ways to serve tofu?

It takes a bit of planning, but a good way to kick up the flavour in tofu is dry-frying it. Just cut the tofu into slices, and toss them in a non-stick pan with no cooking fat (this is very important) over low heat, turning somewhat frequently and pressing down on the slices once in a while. Basically, this slowly dehydrates the slices. Then park them in a marinade overnight; I've found that nothing sucks up a marinade's flavour as well as tofu prepared this way.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

A few nights back I made my first attempt at pulled pork and I found that there was some room for improvement.

The most glaring issue was that I felt like I was going to dislocate an elbow pulling the meat apart. The meat was tender enough to chew but didn't come apart as easily as I feel it should, judging from pictures I saw.
There was also a lot of unrendered fat/wobbly bits.

I used a bone-in picnic roast, fairly small - maybe 2,5 lbs that I roasted until it was about 170-180° F inside, which is low according to some recipes and high to others. Oven temp was roughly 300 F at first, which I cut to 200 F quickly because the internal temperature was rising very fast. Total cooking time was around 5 hours I think.

I think some relevant factors were that I tried to pull it without a rest period, the relatively low final temperature and the short cooking time.

What I don't understand about the cooking process is that all the recipes describe it like a slow roast: Low oven and lots of time, pulling it at a certain temp. Couldn't I just let it come to maybe 175° and keep it there for 5-6 hours, sort of like a "dry braise"?

You didn't get it hot enough: the pork was 'cooked' at 165°, but you need to slowly push the internal temperature up a good deal more in order to break down all the connective tissue and render the fat.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I made the challah recipe from the Wiki yesterday, and while it tasted amazing, it didn't seem to hold together that well. It's a bit crumbly, especially when it's toasted. Could that be caused by under (or over) kneading, or just an inherent function of the oil in the recipe "shortening" the dough?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Saeku posted:

In other news, is a hand blender strong enough to make hummus? I move around quite a bit so I don't have the space to carry a full-sized blender, food processor, or mortar and pestle, but trying to make hummus in a mini-blender was a dismal failure.

I guess it depends on the model: my immersion blender can make hummus, but it takes a lot of time. To get it as smooth as a food processor can in about 1/50th of the time. You'd be better off with a potato masher.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

yes posted:

Yes, you didn't knead it enough. Also, bizarrely, that recipe does not have you proof the loaf before you bake it. Next time, after you weave it, let it sit with a towel over it for about 30 minutes in the same spot you let it rise.

Yeah, I noticed that about the recipe and let the dough get a second rise. Definitely going to knead it more next time: I tried to knead it in the food processor because I have some strange fear of hand-kneading: I'm always worried I'm going to mess it up. The next morning, I made a different egg bread recipe, tried kneading by hand, and it worked amazingly. Hell, it almost rose too much: the oven-spring almost made it hit the top of my oven.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I've found a really nice egg bread recipe that I've been making a lot of lately, and while I love the bread itself, I can't seem to stop this from happening every drat time.

Any ideas on how I could stop this from happening, or am I doomed to a life of oddly-shaped sandwiches? I figured slashing the dough would prevent mishaps like this, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, as evidenced in the photo.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Casu Marzu posted:

Doesnt look like oyu're shaping right. Are you rolling it out, folding in thirds and laying the seam on the bottom? That seems to make the best looking loaves for me.

Hmmm, no actually. I've just been shaping the dough into a log, putting the raggedy seam side (if there is one) down, and pressing it into the loaf pan. I assumed the second rise would get rid of any pockets or inconsistencies if they were on the bottom of the loaf. I guess I was wrong, huh?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also there is tearing, which is normally caused by not doing a long enough second proof and consequently the oven spring is too much and tears the loaf.

Ahh, ok. The recipe rises quite quickly: about an hour and a half to more than double it's size on the first rise. I was doing about an hour for the second rise, should I lengthen that? Should the second rise be longer than the first? I always thought it was supposed to be shorter, but in retrospect, I don't know why I think that. :(

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
The past few months, I've been trying to make a point of trying something new in the kitchen, whether it's a new ingredient, or just a new technique, every week. This week, I've finally bought my first hunk of pork belly... now I have no idea what to do with it. What would be a good, versatile recipe for my first go at cooking this? It's a bit intimidating, what with it's... nipple and hair and poo poo.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Jose posted:

I've started working 9-5 and was wondering what people do for breakfast? I want something that isn't simply cereal or toast but that I can prepare and eat in 10-15 minutes and is healthy and will stop me being hungry until lunch.

Oooooaaaaatmeeeeeaaaal! It tastes great, it's easy to prepare with a bit of forethought, and it'll keep you full for hours. I get up at 5:30am every day, eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and it gets me through to lunch at 12:30 / 1:00.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I know that certain cuts of meat, like pork shoulder or belly, benefit from brining or braising. I'm curious though; is there a point to doing both in one recipe? I'm trying to make a really tender pork belly that I can make big thick slices with, and I just tried roasting at about 300-325 for 2 hours after a brine, and while the flavour is great, the lean meat bits of the belly are a bit dry and chewy. If I were to braise it instead, would that just undo the effects of the brine, though?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

I think that brining and braising are mutually exclusive -- they don't have similar functions.

Let me tell you how we did pork belly at my restaurant. We would make a brine (3 gallons water, 1 gallon beer, 4c kosher salt, 2c (brown) sugar, and various flavorings, and brine our belly pieces overnight. The next day, we'd pull them from the brine and dry them off, and sear them in a hot-rear end pan. This is pretty dangerous as the fat builds up (Ive seen horrible, horrible tidal waves of fat wash over a kid's hand before).

Then we braise the belly overnight at about 200 degrees in a roasting pan with chicken stock, roasted mirepoix, some white wine, and a sachet (you dont want to be picking peppercorns out of your belly).

When the belly is done (a spoon pushes right through), we would take our braise out and let it cool until it we could handle the belly-- i.e., it wouldn't fall apart. At this point you could reduce the cooking liquid (check the saltiness) and make a sauce or whatever with it (we just used it to braise more belly). When the belly was completely cold (this frequently went another 8 hours in refrigeration), we would cut 4oz squares.

Then to serve our belly, we'd cut the belly into four equal pieces (think kit-kat), lay them flat on a greased sizzle pan, and throw them into a 500+ degree convection oven for about 5 minutes, until the belly had good color but still was moist. We'd serve this on a sweat poteto biscuit or cornbread with either some fruity business or a bourbon-y sauce.

We always got rave rave reviews for our pork belly.

This is definitely a dish that's easier to do in the restaurant -- honestly it's like 25% more work to get like 200% more portions (we'd generally end up with 175 4oz portions every time we did pork belly).

Awesome, thanks. That sounds like exactly the texture I'm going for. So the meat would benefit from both processes, huh? I'll give it a shot!

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I wanted to make some delicious cheesy Arepas, but the recipe calls for 'arepa flour' or pre-cooked cornmeal. I looked in the store for such a thing (a large chain grocery store) and couldn't find anything that might be close. Is it a specialty thing? Can I make it myself? Or am I just being retarded and not looking for the right thing?

They also sound like they would cook well in a cast iron skillet. Is it better to just stick with a regular pan?

It's something of a specialty product, yeah. It's not as widespread in standard grocery stores as Maseca. You should try looking for Harina P.A.N., it's the most common brand.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sjurygg posted:

What's the difference between the yellow and orange P.A.N. masa flours?

e: I mean the colour of the bags, not the masa itself. Is it simply that the orange bag stuff is non-nixtamalized? Can the nixtamalized masa also be used for arepas? It sure makes for nice corn tortillas, if nothing else.

If I recall correctly, the only difference is the colour: the yellow bag is white cornmeal, and the orange is yellow. I'm not sure about the nixtamalization though, that may be a part of it.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I've been experimenting with pork belly a lot recently, trying to get a result I'm happy with. Last time, I cured the belly in a mixture of salt, brown sugar and spices for a few days, then braised it overnight at 200 degrees, letting it chill completely, then frying the slices up. The flavour was somewhat muted, and the lean bits seemed a bit tough.

I just read a Michael Ruhlman recipe (technically for Panchetta) where he cures it, but for longer, then wraps it in foil and roasts it at 250 degrees for a couple of hours, before cooling, slicing and frying.

The thing is, the curing process has drawn quite a lot of moisture out of the pork: should I really be following up a cure with a dry heat method like this?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Hopefully this question makes sense, but how do I get bell peppers to get really soft / sweet? I'm used to them being a little bitter and crispy, but I had some the other day that were the complete opposite. Is it just a matter of slow-cooking them, or did they add sugar or something to it? It was for quesadillas and it seemed like the peppers got cooked alongside the chicken, if that makes a difference.

You don't need to add sugar. Bell peppers, especially red/yellow/orange ones, have a ton of natural sugars. Roasting or sauteing them for a good amount of time draws them out, cutting the bitterness and making the peppers soft and sweet. It's the same idea as caramelizing onions: any vegetable with a decent amount of sugar will caramelize the same way.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Soda bread as a base for corned beef sandwiches = victory.

Any thoughts on a substitute for coconut milk in Thai/Indonesian peanut sauce? The kind that goes with chicken satay? Nothing wrong per se with the coconut milk, it's just mighty rich and I'm trying to lighten up the sauce so that I can eat more than a spoonful without feeling stuffed. If I could make it light enough I could even toss pasta or steamed veggies in a reasonable quantity of it.

I guess another way to state this question would be: Any ideas for a lighter Thai-style peanut sauce?

You can get light coconut milk, I think.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

EVG posted:

I roasted a chicken the other day as I'm trying to both eat cheaper, and evade some of the immense shame that I get from Mr. Wiggles always talking about how bad it is to buy the jumbo packages of chicken breasts from Costco and realizing that I was guilty of the same.

My free-range organic roaster came out nice as a roast chicken dinner, and some of the meat has gone into white chicken chili and into two different kinds of quesadilla, but I have a couple pounds of meat left and am looking for good recommendations.

I was thinking of making some pulled chicken sandwiches - would I just heat the chicken with some BBQ sauce and put on bun, or is there a better way to do this?

The idea of a BBQ chicken pizza also came to mind (one of my favorites for delivery) but I've never cooked a pizza before at all.

Any other suggestions? I'm not too interested in soup or chicken salad.

It's pretty similar to chicken salad, but it may be different enough to pique your interest: you could always make coronation chicken. Chop up the chicken, mix in some mayo, yogurt, dijon, curry powder, and lemon juice. Stir in some chopped almonds and dried fruit.(currants, raisins, etc.)It makes a great cold sandwich filler.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Scramble an egg or two with some onions, peppers, some pork if you have it, then just split a biscuit, pile it on top, and attack it with your face.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just finished up a 24 cure and 7 day hanging for a breast of duck prosciutto, and was looking to have some for dinner tonight. However, I forgot to weigh the breast before I hung it, so I'm not sure if it's down 30% in weight. It seems quite firm, and the breast was about half the weight of the one the recipe said to use, so I have a feeling it should be ok, but I really don't want to kill myself here. :ohdear:

I didn't have any nitrates or nitrites in the cure, and I spent a good portion of the day scaring the bejesus out of myself with the wiki entry for botulism. Is that something I should be worried about, or is that only relevant for canned goods and sausages?

Also, I should mention that I wasn't planning on cooking this before consumption...

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 13, 2012

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Stalizard posted:

I got some big lamb steaks. It looks like it comes from the leg, there's a huge bone in the middle full of marrow. I hear marrow is all sorts of tasty but I've never had it or tried to cook it. I've also never cooked lamb.

Do I just cook this like a normal cow steak, say, medium rare? Is there any way to enjoy both a tasty steak and the marrow in the bone? I hear marrow is supposed to be broiled or some such, my crappy apartment broiler doesn't work but I do have a blowtorch.

Help me, what do I do?

If it's from a leg, it'll probably be pretty tough if you try to cook it like a normal steak. Leg of lamb is best cooked low and slow, if I recall correctly.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Every few weeks, I like to buy a nice 4-5 pound bone-in pork shoulder, make a batch of pulled pork, and freeze it in portions for easy weeknight dinners. Yesterday, the only shoulder my butcher had left was about 7 pounds, so I just grabbed it.

Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my dutch oven. I managed to trim off a 2 pound chunk and get it in there, but now I don't know what to do with the remainder. It's about the size of a pork loin and seems to have a pretty solid fat content. Any good ideas?

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 1, 2012

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Cowcatcher posted:

Slice into thin portions, marinate in lime, cilantro and garlic overnight, grill on very high heat and make vietnamese sandwiches

If you're looking for more of a meal-type dish, chop into cubes, toss into a little bit of olive oil, add chopped onions, red&green peppers, garlic, when meat is done toss in lots of chopped tomatoes and cook the poo poo out of it. Add some wine, crushed red pepper flakes and black peper at the end

Both sound awesome, but I'm a sucker for sandwiches. I know you're supposed to cook pork shoulder for a long time to get it tender, but does the thin slicing let you grill it fast and still have it palatable in the end?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Hmm.... can you make corned pork? I was considering just doing the corned beef recipe from Charcuterie but swapping in the pork shoulder for brisket, since brisket is tough to find around here. The recipe calls for pink salt, though. Is that necessary for safety, or is it just for keeping the colour of the meat?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

How long does it have to cure for? if it's like a week then you'd probably want to find some pink salt.. if it's just a few days you'll probably not kill anyone.

Yeah, it soaks in a brine for about a week. Nuts, I was hoping to start it tonight. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

Actually, given that the piece of meat I'm using is less than half the size of the one in the recipe, I could probably cut down the time and forget the pink salt. The whole thing ends up getting boiled for hours anyway.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 2, 2012

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Cyril Sneer posted:

While I have no issue with eating it this way, I'm not quite sure it'll work for an actual meal.

I dunno; throw in some bread and cheese slices, and you've got a ploughman's lunch. Of course, that's not exactly a huge departure. I've always seen a ploughman's lunch as just a sandwich you were too lazy to actually make.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

Okay, I actually have a question!

I have (sigh) some boneless skinless breasts, some eggplant, and also some kohlrabi (which I've never cooked before, though I ate the leaves already). Thoughts on how to cook kohlrabi/put these ingredients together in some way?

Basically Id like to use all these things, but its not necessary, also assume I have/can get most other ingredients.

Dice up the chicken and eggplant, saute with some tomatoes and onion. Roast the kohlrabi, stick it in a food processor with some butter and puree it. Put the sauteed chicken and eggplant mixture in a casserole, top with the kohlrabi puree, and bake it.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is there a big flavor contribution from roux in sauces? I made a pan sauce tonight. After browning chicken, I put garlic in the pan, but panicked when it started to brown too quickly and dumped in wine to deglaze and stop the browning Instead of flour to make roux. I find finished with corn starch to thicken.

Which leads to my initial question.

It depends on the colour of the roux. The longer you cook the roux, and the darker it gets, the more flavour it'll impart, but it'll also thicken less effectively.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Agent355 posted:

If I'm cooking anything with vegetables that you sautee what order do you typically start cooking the veggies in?

For instance right now I have some beef stroganoff on the stove with onions and mushrooms. I started cooking the onions first, threw in the mushrooms after, and ground hamburger (because I can't afford real cuts of beef) last before all the goodies for the sauce and what not.

I'm not sure that was right however. What veggies take the longest to cook? I'm assuming there is alot of variables but just in general.

You want to throw in the denser vegetables earlier, since they take longer to cook. However, onions should almost always go in first, since you want to give them a lot of time to break down and caramelize and whatnot.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

tarepanda posted:

I screwed up and bought a bunch of chicken breast instead of thigh meat for my tandoori chicken. I tried it and it's okay, but a bit dry and chewy.

What else can I do with all this chicken breast cheaply? I don't really have a lot of money or any staples.

Yeah, chicken breast dries out quicker than pretty much any meat I can think of. I don't typically cook with it if I can help it, since I don't trust myself to not dry it out, but the best trick I've found is to pound them out much thinner than normal. It lets you cook them through much faster and retain some moisture.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

nwin posted:

So I made some mini crab cakes today and cooked 5 out of the 20, and they tasted great. I was going to make them all and bring them to a party but then my wife and I were talking and decided not to since it was a 45 minute drive and the crab cakes would be either soggy and cold when they got there.

Question is, I put Saran wrap on top and threw the rest in the fridge. The recipe I used has home made mayo and an egg as a binder in there. Will these be safe to cook and eat tomorrow?

Yeah, they'll be totally fine: it's only one day.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just (hopefully) finished some cured salmon, but I'm a bit worried about it. It was a small piece, and it spent two full days in the cure, but the inside feels soft. The thickest part of the filet wasn't completely covered when I pulled it out of the cure gunk, so I cut around that bit, but do you think this looks safe to eat?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

pnumoman posted:

It looks okay; does it smell okay? If you cured it wrong enough for it to be dangerous, it would smell obviously off. If it smells fine, it's probably fine.

Nah, it doesn't smell off. I'm just a bit worried because I realized that I used wild salmon, which I've heard is much more likely to have parasites than farm-raised, and because I didn't buy sushi grade, so I don't think it's been frozen beforehand.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Anyone know a good spice mix for gyro meat? I just blew twenty bucks worth of ground lamb on Alton Brown's recipe and it tastes like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually do rosemary, marjoram, fresh garlic, pureed and wringed in a towel onion, a bit of ground coriander, and a bit of cumin. and salt of course.

Hmmm. I used all of those except the coriander and cumin. Do you use dried herbs?

I'm also starting to think I used the wrong meat. After baking the loaf, you're supposed to pour off the fat, and there wasn't a single drop to pour off. The finished loaf is springy and rubbery and overly chewy. Maybe I used too lean of a ground lamb. That could explain the texture, and maybe the crap flavour is just the missing fat.