Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
For Christmas this year instead of the traditional Christmas Pudding I'm intending to make a Brandy Panna Cotta with bits sprinkled over to remind people of Christmas Pudding. Having never made an alcoholic Panna Cotta, are there any potential curdling issues I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Efresh posted:

Last night I cooked a roast pork loin, boneless and skin on. Now for me, the money on a piece of roasted pork is the crackling but I still haven't nailed it. Last night I scored the skin, rubbed with oil and a bunch of salt, then rolled and tied the loin. It was about a 1.6kg piece.

Put in the preheated oven at max heat, around 250C for 40 minutes when it looked like the skin was crackled up, turned the heat down to 200C and put in the veges. After another 30 minutes I pulled out the pork to rest only to find it was only partially crackling. Plus the meat had just started drying out. So what the crap am I doing wrong here? I want crackling AND moist pork. Any suggestions?

You need dry pork skin to get good crackling. If you look at slavedaeva's methods, both dry the skin (the first with towel and fridge, the second air dries it in the oven). I normally dry it with kitchen towel, salt it and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then rinse it, dry it again and roast it uncovered in hottest oven possible for half an hour, then move it to low. Ever since I began that method, I've never had a crackling failure. Rolling it can also mean that you'll only get crackling on the top, so I'd avoid that.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Very Strange Things posted:

Make one and we can have a pool about how long it takes for it to become a debate about Ron Paul!

edit: forgot I had a question.

I am making a duck tomorrow and the recipe calls for currant jelly. I don't have any, and I don't know what the flavor profile is really. I have some strawberry preserves, apples, maple syrup, all kinds of spices, apples? I don't think I have raisins... Wait, I think I have some raisin bran.

Should I pick some raisins out of the raisin bran, mash em up and cook em down with water or something?

Apple is probably the best of your choices there. I'll often make a pear and green peppercorn sauce to go with duck, and have occasionally had to add apple to make it stretch further, so I'd be fairly relaxed about it working.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Simon Draskovic posted:

On a whim, I picked up a package of smoked pork tails. Does anyone have any particular recipes, or suggestions on how to cook them? (They're in small chunks, about 2-4 inches square, not whole). Usually Googling an ingredient will give me dozens of sites with hundreds of recipes that I can look at, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these.

There's a Fergus Henderson recipe for pig tail that's simply to braise them in the oven in red wine and chicken stock plus aromatics and herbs for a couple of hours. Let them cool in the liquor, remove them and dry them. Bread them and fry in butter until crisp. Splash with vinegar and eat with your fingers. As it's a Fergus Henderson dish you also need a bottle of good Burgundy to wash them down with.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Splizwarf posted:

How is braising done? I see it talked about but never learned what the deal was.

Braising is to cook your food partially immersed in a liquid at a temperature lower than boiling point, with the liquid later becoming the sauce for the dish.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

In case you don't know how to eat one, pull off the leaves, dip it in the butter or aioli, and scrape off the fleshy bits of the artichoke leaves with your teeth. You'll figure it out. Sometimes I'll have the leaves without anything else, artichokes are awesome. Oh god, I want an artichoke right loving now.

You don't eat the hearts?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

kiteless posted:

So that's 2 recs here for pizza and 1 on chat... guess I'm makin' pizza?

You could try giving it a small dice, sauteing it off and adding to a Mac and Cheese.

Or pizza. Pizza's good.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Get more pork, make rillettes.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Noni posted:

It's creamy and thick, and most importantly the crawfish is somehow not chewy or rubbery but very tender. Tell me the mystery of its riddle. I must know. Please share your crawfish (or lobster) chowder recipes and help me get my fix.

Just guessing, but it's possible that the tender crawfish is that way because it's cooked separately to the chowder and stirred in when served.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Steve Yun posted:

Just got a tiny jar of Marmite to play with... it tastes beefy and incredibly concentrated. Would I be wrong in thinking this would work as a savory additive in stock?

It's probably too salty for stock, but try adding a little to a beef gravy.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Grand Fromage posted:

I made some real mac and cheese tonight, very basic. Bechamel sauce with cream instead of milk, melted in the cheddar, spiced, mixed with the pasta and baked a bit. It's all right but I like the sauce creamier and smooth. When I was a kid my mom would use velveeta to do it, but I'm hoping there's a different method using some sort of actual food instead. Any ideas?

I've been using the Blumenthal version with great success. It's naturally somewhat adapted, as I'm not going to hollow out a cheese to serve it and the cheeses he uses just don't magically appear in my fridge when I want to make one. But the technique works very well, giving me smooth creamy cheese sauce I want in a mac. I also suspect it's possibly healthier then the Bechamel route.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Last Celebration posted:

Can anyone reccomend a good rack to go with the electric roaster so the meat doesn't get soggy? It comes with one, but it's honestly pretty crappy.

Carrots, onions and celery.

Or appropriate bones.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
My preferred way to serve a steak is roughly chop many fresh herbs, whatever's on hand generally but it normally includes lots of soft thyme, chervil and parsley, add some finely diced shallots and some capers. Spread that onto a wooden board and when the steak is cooked, just let it rest on top of the herbs. When it's ready I flip the steak over and slice it. Little slices of heaven. You could use chimichirri herbs and spices in the same manner.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Just a heads up for any Chicago people, but Northwestern Cutlery on 810 W. Lake have 20% off all their knives. I picked up a ten inch Shun Premier Chef Knife for $160 from there a couple of days ago, having been in an enthused mood from a three hour lunch at the Purple Pig and picking up a marriage license. A big knife seemed appropriate.

And here's the quick question. Can anyone recommend a place in the area of Bolingbrook and Naperville where I could pick up pork that still has the skin on, or game (especially quail and pigeon). Actually, any general cooking supply store (outside the chains) or restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

EVG posted:

If you're in Chicago you can go by Peoria Packing. They definitely have skin-on pork... or just pork skin... or pig heads if that's what you're into.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peoria-packing-butcher-shop-chicago

Was kinda weirded out when I saw the nipples on a slab of belly!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out next time I'm in town.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap omelette pan? My small non-stick came with a set and isn't so non-stick anymore.

Of all the pans I've used for omelettes, this simple cheap aluminium style of pan has consistently worked the best for me.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scott Bakula posted:

I want to cook lamb steaks and my parents have half a butchered lamb in their freezer. Can I cut the steaks off something like a leg or would I need to get it cut separately at a butchers? Its not something typically sold in England so I'm not sure what to look for.

I know that Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury's carry Lamb Leg Steaks if you don't want to take a knife to a leg.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

CzarChasm posted:

These chicken roasting recipes are reminding me of a recipe I had but lost.

The short version is that you roast the chicken on a broiler pan, and underneath, you have thinly sliced potatoes, so that as the chicken cooks, all the schmaltz drips down and flavors the potatoes.

Pretty sure it was a test kitchen recipe, but I can't find it in my collection. I may not need that, if someone can point me in a proper direction. Could I get the same results using a cooling rack and a rimmed baking sheet? Hoping for something where I wouldn't have to move the bird around too much to toss the potatoes.

That sounds like a version of Boulangère Potatoes. You shouldn't have to toss the spuds around if you pour over some chicken stock, with the top layer becoming nice and crusty from the chicken drippings. This is a good recipe for the dish.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.

Have you tried out the Dreamfields pasta? It's obviously nowhere near as good as homemade pasta, but as a low carb / low glycemic index pasta it's more than adequate.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The difference in information that you're finding is because in the UK, Australia and France a Rump steak is cut from the end of the Sirloin area of the cow. It's one of the best tasting steaks there is and cooks beautifully. However, in the US, the Rump is generally a Roasting joint from the Round, which is the hindquarters of the animal (in the UK it's where the Silverside and Topside roasting joints are cut from) and the meat there is tougher and needs slower cooking. So if you have a slice from a Rump Roast, it's not going to cook well as a steak.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I gotta whole lotta pheasant legs in my fridge that I'd like to get rid of. I'm gonna use some in a gumbo, but I have enough that I can try other things. Was thinking maybe a coq au vin. Any other suggestions?

I'd look to curry them. They take spice very well.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Snackpack Backpack posted:

My girlfriend got a really good deal on this set from work. I've never used cookware with a ceramic coating before. Are there any pro tips for it?

Also I haven't heard of this brand before. Does anyone have experience with it?

You should use silicone tools with ceramic pans, and any non-stick for that matter, as metal can scratch the coating. It's also advised to hand wash them only and not to use abrasives to clean them. Also store them without putting other pans etc in direct contact with the pan. I've had a GreenPan for about a year and it's still non-stick. If food looks like it's sticking then a little splash of oil helps, but not much, so oil or butter are generally only used for flavour. I'd recommend them.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Triskelli posted:

And I can't think of anything more "comfort-food" than Shrimp'n Grits. Some nice hot fluffy grits with cheese and good shrimp with a bit of green onions on top goes down savory and feels like a warm hug in your stomach.

Thanks for the advice though. After looking at the roommate's smoothie blender it definitely looks strong enough to get the job done. Should I post a trip report in the What Did You Cook Last Night thread?

If you're still looking for a soup that can take the ingredients, try a Cullen Skink. Replace the potato with pumpkin, goat cheese crumbled over the top and it should work fine. Assuming you can find a smoked white fish that is.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Walked posted:

God this is the worst question ever.

But I'm looking for something that's like a butter warmer / the mini-crock pot to keep a pan sauce warm. It's for Thanksgiving serving; and I'd like to keep the sauce warmed rather than chilling over time.

What should I be searching for? I think I just dont know the search term to punch in.

I had to do something similar this weekend and used a Thermos.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

General Venereal posted:

I'm considering making a parsnip and squash gratin for Christmas this year, but the list of ingredients has got me stumped.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what "pot" and "double pot" cream refer to?

(Full recipe here)

It's referring to the pots the cream comes in. Stupid way to write a recipe.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Yeah I'll just cut in some lard instead of suet. So For that I can skip boiling the water step of this right?

Not really. You're now making a traditional hot water pastry that hugs deliciously around a pork pie, so you still need to use hot water. My standard go to is:

250g Plain Flour (All Purpose if American)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.
1 Large Egg
50g Unsalted Butter
50g Lard
85ml Water
(If making Pork Pies I sometimes add a couple of teaspoons of English Mustard Powder)

Sift flour and salt into large bowl and make a well. Crack egg into well and sprinkle over a little flour.

Gently heat the Water, Butter and Lard in a pan until melted and then bring it to a boil. As soon as it's boiling, pour around the outside edge of the flour and use a blunt flat bladed knife to combine it. Gently knead it until it's smooth and still quite soft. Wrap in cling film and fridge for at least an hour.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
You can use the beetroot raw, but if you do want to cook them I'd roast them rather than boil them. To roast them put them into a foil parcel with some salt and thyme sprigs and cook at 180C for around 35 minutes. They're done when a knife easily enters them right to the middle. Let them cool and peel them (if you don't want bloody hands, use gloves).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Squashy Nipples posted:

"beetroot" always confueses me, since we just call them "beets" here in the states.

I've gotten my American wife to call them beetroot ever since we started growing them and using the Beet greens. In return I call corriander leaf Cilantro.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, roasting beets is the best way to cook them, but since the recipe he is making is a cole slaw, I would guess that roasting would make them TOO soft. Cole slaw is supposed to be crunchy.

I'd agree with that. However, grating them doesn't sound that pleasant either as you could end up with an equally mushy mouthful. I make beetroot slaw a fair amount and use a mandolin with a toothed attachment to make more of a long noodle shape.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Casu Marzu posted:

So, I want lasagna, but I always wish for more veggies than what's just in the sauce. What's a good way to make it a bit more interesting?

I'll typically add a bunch of julienned roasted red peppers as the bottom layer. Works beautifully with a normal lasagne.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Drifter posted:

Would you have to use, like, a potato for the additional starch for creamyness or something? What's a popular non rice version?

I've used grated cauliflower florets, pearl barley and spelt to make risottos before and each needed a creaminess added. I've used cream, Crème fraîche, Marscapone or a puree to do this. I don't think a spud could be as successful, but maybe some rice flour in the stock could.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

franco posted:

Edit: I seem to remember you're a UK person, BM - any clue about my pear conundrum? *begging*

Most common pears in the UK that are used for poaching are William or Conference. Conference is probably most used as it's the most widely available, in appearance it's very similar to a Bosc and they're both Pyrus communis varieties. So Conference is possibly your best bet.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't Alton keep ginger in sand on an episode of Good Eats?

There was an old Victorian era practice of storing root vegetables in boxes of sand over winter. Might work for ginger.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Sramaker posted:

I plan to make some Madeleine (French Butter Cakes) but i don't have a recipe, anyone has one they would recommend?

This is from Fergus Henderson's Beyond Nose To Tail. I've had success with it.

135 grams Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons Pure Honey
3 Large Eggs
110 grams Caster Sugar
15 grams Light Brown Sugar
135 grams Sifted Self Raising Flour.

Melt butter and honey and simmer to a golden brown, leave to cool.
Whisk eggs and sugars together until they've tripled in volume and a trail is left on the surface when the whisk is lifted (About 9 minutes with an electric mixer)
Fold the flour and melted butter into the egg mix until all is incorporated. Refrigerate in a clean bowl for 3 hours.

Pre-Heat oven to 190C / 375F

Grease the Madeline moulds with butter and then dust with a light coating of flour, tapping off any excess.
Place a dessert spoon of the mix in each mould and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until firm to touch and golden brown.

Eat warm, dipping in hot tea when alone to emulate Proust or with Pink Champagne on a warm evening with good company.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Geburan posted:

Have bag o' blackberries. Need suggestions. Go.

(Thanks!)

Sorbet or Jam, serve as a wonderful sauce for Rabbit, Pheasant and maybe Duck or Pig would be good too.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Laminator posted:

Any good liver and onion recipes? I tried to make it on the fly before and it wasn't very good. I need a little assistance to make this offal taste good.

What made it not very good? There's an enzyme in liver that will turn the texture pappy and unpleasant. Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent this happening or know if it's happened until the liver is cooked and eaten. I'd be delighted to learn if I'm wrong about this though. When I do cook Liver and Onions, it needs to be Calves Liver cut a half inch thick at most. Cook the onions first, trying to cook the onions and liver at the same time can easily lead to an overcrowded pan and a liver boiled in onion juice. Not nice. Heat oil to a high heat and add the liver, generously seasoned with plenty of salt. Wait for it to brown, should be but a minute if the pan is hot enough, give the pan a shake, flip the liver, add some butter. When butter is frothy drop some sage leaves into the butter bit to crisp up. When crisp move to a paper towel to drain. Flip the liver once more on each side for thirty seconds or so, which should give you medium rare. Move liver warm place to keep warm. If cooking more liver, wipe out pan and repeat process, if not, wipe out pan and add the all ready cooked onions to warm them through. Dress the liver with sage and throw atop the onions. Drizzle with good balsamic.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Some people are very very picky eaters.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

me your dad posted:

Can anyone suggest something other than rice or noodles for serving with stir-fried beef and peppers? I'm making this from the Rasa Malaysia site. I was thinking some sort of salad, but I have no idea what would go with it. Either that, or maybe serve it with lettuce leaves to make rolls?

I'd be open to hear other low-carb Asian recipes. My wife is pregnant and has gestational diabetes so I'm cooking around that (and she suddenly has a sever distaste for chicken, making things extra tough).

Do you have a mandolin? I use one to make pseudo-noodles from Squash and Beetroots in place of normal noodles.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Flython posted:

I'm looking to make a Manchester Tart for a relative and still not sure on the exact recipe. Does anybody here have one they've had success with? I'm planning to make it all by hand and include bananas.

This is Ramsay's recipe. I've only done it the once but it came out fine. A hundred times better than the school stuff I remember.

300g Sweet Flan pastry
75ml Double Cream
1 tbsp Icing Sugar
650ml Pastry Cream
3 tbsp Raspberry Jam
2 Ripe Medium Bananas
Squeeze of Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tbsp Dessicated Coconut
1 1/2 Caster Sugar

Make the Sweet Flan Pastry and Pastry Cream well in advance of attempting the tart.

Roll out pastry to thickness of a pound coin. Line a 20cm round tart tin (depth should be 2 - 3 cm and should have a removable base), leaving some excess pastry draped over the sides. Rest for half an hour in fridge.
Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Blind bake at 190C until the sides are set and lightly golden. 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, and return to oven for another 5 minutes. While warm trim off the excess draping pastry and leave to completely cool.

Whip the cream and icing sugar together until stiff. Fold through the pastry cream until well combined with the cream.

Spread the jam over the base of the pastry. Toss the thinly sliced bananas with the lemon juice and arrange on top of the jam. Cover with the pastry cream mixture. Lick spoon.

Toast the coconut in a dry pan, tossing it frequently, until light golden brown. Mix with the caster sugar and sprinkle over the top of the tart.

Sweet Flan Pastry:

125g Unsalted room temperature butter
90g Caster Sugar
1 Large egg
250g Plain Flour
1 tbsp ice water

Mix the butter and sugar together until just combined. Add the egg and mix some more, until the egg is in the mix. Tip in the flour and mix until it just comes together as a dough. If it seems too dry, add a little ice water. Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface and shape into a flat disc. Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for 30 mins before rolling out.

Pastry Cream:

350ml Whole Milk
150ml Double Cream
75g Caster Sugar
1 Vanilla Pod (Split) or 1 tsp good vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
40g cornflour

Put milk, cream, 1 tbsp sugar into heavy based saucepan over a low heat. Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to milk mix, with the pod. Or dribble in the vanilla extract. I often like to add a slug of bourbon if using a pod. Slowly bring concoction to a simmer, keeping a weather eye on it.

Beat the yolks with the sugar until combined then add in the cornflour a third at a time, keeping it nice and smooth as you whisk.

When the milk is close to boiling, remove from the heat and slowly trickle it into the egg mix, whisking all the time. I tend to pour a little trickle, while whisking, set the pan down and whisk until the milk is in the mix, repeat until the milk is all gone.

When combined pour the mix back into the sauce pan through a straining device. Put pan over a low heat and stir it continuously until it's thick and smooth. Keep the heat low else it will curdle, so I move the pan on and off the heat as I stir. It's ready when it's thick and custardy and a spoon can draw a clear line across the bottom of the pan.

Strain it into a wide bowl to cool. Give it a little stir now and then to stop a skin forming. Chill and use in three days or so.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

nwin posted:

Anyone?

This was seared first and then oven roast at 150F, reaching an internal temperature of 140f after about six hours and then rested for another hour. Ideally I would have been able to knock 10F off of the temp and cooked for another half hour or so, but my oven only goes down to 150f.

If you don't have the six hours or so to cook in, then the quicker way is to get your oven up to 450F plus and roast the joint for 15 minutes at that temp. Then turn oven down and roast at 375F for 15 - 20 minutes per pound, pulling when it hits the temp you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
As I await the (late) arrival of my first born, I've been wondering if an immersion circulator would be the best way to bring milk to temperature. Any reasons why it wouldn't work?