Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

In the interest of whirrled peas, I'll kick this off with a question. I made split pea soup tonight (for the first time). It got cold here, I had split peas in the pantry. It was pretty damned bland. I pretty much winged it on a whim, and I substituted bacon for a ham hock because, like I said, I winged it and that's what I had in the fridge. Anyone have a tried and true split pea soup recipe you wouldn't mind sharing so I can make something worth writing home about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

^^^edit, that's what I'm talking about. Noted for later. Thanks, dino.!^^^

HClChicken posted:

Can you post your recipe?

Like I said, it was entirely on a whim. Worst case, it would have been a supplement to my dog's dinner. I took about 8 ounces of dried split peas, boiled for a minute in about 6 cups of water. In a stock pot, I added 4 strips of lightly cooked, chopped bacon, a tablespoon of salt, two cloves of garlic, and a bay leaf. Cooked down the liquid, I added a 5-6 turns of a pepper mill. The texture was nice, the taste was okay, but pretty bland. Made two large-ish bowls of soup.

vvv double edit, read the Whirrled Peas thread Bart linked. Seems like a month long "back to basics" thing for GWS, focus on the cooking and minimize the off topic stuff vvv

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 17, 2011

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Straight up this thread is a wholesale improvement on the "hey can i get a flavor pairing" we so missed, but can a guy get a link to the #gws irc up in here?

Pretty sure it's synirc.net, channel is #gws.

Content: again, thanks for the split pea suggestion dino., I'm going to work on a do-over on Wednesday. It should be much better.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Wild turkey: the meat, not the Bourbon. I've got a (frozen) dressed bird with two breasts, deboned, with bone-in thighs and wings, no carcass or organs. Breasts in one freezer bag, other cuts in another.

Any recipe you'd recommend that would highlight the "wildness" of the meat? I imagine it's quite a bit different from the domesticated giant-breasted, can't fly monstrosities. I've never had it, and I'm tasked with cooking it for the guy who gave it to me. Suggestions?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I went back a few pages and I didn't see it asked, but I'm sure it has been this fall. Does anyone have any recipes or dishes that utilize green tomatoes? Some folks I know are heading down to Brazil for the winter, and they're going to till their garden tomorrow. They offered my wife an I a mess of green tomatoes, and I don't know what to do with them outside "fry."

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fried green tomatoes are pretty great, though.

I would imagine you could roast them and make a tasty green salsa.

Oh, there will be some fried green tomatoes, don't you worry. They're fantastic, but I came home with a five gallon bucket full :stare:

Green salsa seems like the winner. I can freeze/can that.

Scott Bakula posted:

I don't have a recipe but green tomato chutney is amazing stuff and you can likely easily find a recipe online

Also, green tomato chutney will keep okay too!

Thanks, guys!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

dino. posted:

Glob, are these actual /green/ tomatoes, which tend to be fully ripe when green in colour, or are these tomatoes that were picked while still green. If the former, go nuts. If the latter, just let them ripen. They also make great pickles.

Picked green, not supposed to be green.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I'm catching up on Huang's World, and the episode I'm watching is him in South Korea. Eddie and his local fixer sit down to eat at a market and what they have is a Korean equivalent of pasta alfredo, but they never say what the dish is called. All I know is it's made from anchovy, perilla powder, nori, and green onion. It sounds super interesting to me, but if I don't know what it's called, I can't exactly look up a recipe. The scene is at the 9:37 mark (I forgot how to time stamp YouTube videos. Sorry) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCmh3HRp1E

Anyone have a name for that dish? Better yet, a tried and true recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

For future reference it's #t=XXhXXmXXs appended to the url

From the description and look it seems to be deulkkae kalgooksu with handmade noodles (수타 들깨 칼국수, with 수타 meaning the noodles are handmade, 들깨 for the perilla powder that goes into the broth, and 칼국수, or knife-cut noodles, as the base dish) though alfredo is one of the farthest things in the world I would pick to describe it

Thank you!