Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

It's Sunday, and it's cold outside, which means I'm makin' soup. Today's gonna be a potato-leek thing. Every recipe I've seen calls for just the white portion of the leek. Is there some sort of side dish I can make with the green parts, or are they destined for the compost bin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Started the soup before I read your reply, RazorBunny, but duly noted! I'll hang on to the greens for stock as per Two Headed Calf's suggestion.

Good gods my house smells fantastic. I make a different soup every Sunday; would "Sunday Soupday" be thread-worthy?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

What's the deal with swai? Epicurious is my usual go-to for recipes and it's literally giving me no results when I search for "swai". A cursory Google search got some Chowhound results saying "OMG do not buy this" but for reasons, which the comments illustrate, political and whether it's kosher or not, so I'm.getting any answers there. I just want some fish tonight, dammit.

tl; dr: I bought a bag of frozen swai at Save-a-lot because I am broke and wanted cheap seafood. Any suggestions on how to prepare it? I have 2 lemons, some cilantro, and one helluva spice cabinet.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

I'll throw some veggies (onion, carrots, celery) underneath as a 'rack'. As long as they aren't exposed they generally don't burn and they can contribute to a gravy afterwards. Throw some garlic cloves and half a lemon in there too.

:chef::hf::chef: Veggie racks for lyfe. I tend to do whole birds in my big rear end Pyrex dishes, as I lack any roasting pans with racks, and glass is always so much easier to clean. This technique is great for that..

I like to make a grid of carrots and celery, propping up some parts with onion quarters. Any extra veg gets shoved into the bird as aromatics. Pull your carrots/celery/onions out from the pan with a slotted spoon when the bird's done, make gravy with your delicious drippings. Then throw the "used" veggies in the pot when you're making stock the next day. It's like... recycling with food.

Oh god I want to roast a chicken now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I have some frozen pollock (bought frozen, kept in freezer) that's past its expiration date on the package. Will I die, or just have a somewhat disappointing texture if I cook and eat it?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SavTargaryen posted:

I can't imagine you'd die. If you thaw it and it smells bad I don't recommend eating it. I recommend instead serving it to roommates to see if THEY die.

Yeah, obviously I'll give it the sniff test after thawing. Unfortunately my only roommate is my boyfriend, so I ain't gonna try to kill him. Just wondering if I should even bother with it, or chuck it.

If it's still edible, but the texture might be off: any tips on like a dip or something? I'm poor as gently caress and hate to throw out food.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Am I the only person who hates the trend of blogs doing recipes as videos, vs just posting the recipe? I know how to put stuff together, I'm just looking for the right proportions. I don't want to sit through 20 minutes of video just to get what my mom would've slapped on an index card.

edit, yeah, I'm being cranky. I understand they're trying to help people who are clueless about cooking, and I appreciate that. Still, I wish there was a shortcut for those of us who know how to cook, and just want the immediate details.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 15, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Juice Box Hero posted:

You are not alone. I am even crankier, as I get pissed when I have to scroll through some boring loving story about the blogger's trip to X where they learned about recipe Y and even though you can't get ingredient Z in the states, you can substitute blah blah my kids, beautiful sunset blah blah blah

Literally lol here, you summed that up perfectly. Yeah, if I dig your recipe, I'll be happy to read your story, blogger, but my bf's gonna be home in 2 hours and I just wanna know what the gently caress I can do with these discount chicken drumsticks, shut uuuuup and gimme a recipe already. Glad it's not just me.

For that matter: I have chicken drumsticks, coconut milk, and canned tomatoes. I wanna do something vaguely Indian. I have a monstrous spice cabinet. Please advise, without having a video or talking about your indigo child. TIA

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'm looking to do something with the pollock I've got, and thought I could incorporate the miso I've got hanging out in the fridge; I've heard miso-glazed fish is awesome.

Every recipe I've seen calls for pollock with skin; I'm dealing with frozen fillets that are skinless. Obviously I'll probably cut down the broil time, but anything else I should know before I wing this and ruin a bunch of fish?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sorry for 2 posts, but totally unrelated question:

I've got some expired milk (like, in the dark recesses of my fridge weeks old). Can I still make paneer with it, since you boil the milk, or is that risky (from a health perspective)? I hate throwing out food.

EDIT nm, I just opened it and almost hurled. Folks, check your perishables regularly and just get rid of them. If you'll excuse me, I need some air.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 21, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

That Works posted:

All goons have eaten this in moments of shame. Fess up everyone.

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned: I've eaten Chinese delivery, that I left out overnight after passing out drunk, for breakfast. I figure the shear MSG/soy sauce levels, plus a healthy dose of microwaving, keeps me from harm.

And pizza's fine if you close the box and stick it in the oven as storage because the box doesn't fit in your fridge and you're too lazy to wrap in in something else, right? Mmm, pizza jerky.

edit: It's a wonder I've made it to 41 doing this.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 24, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'm unemployed and broke as gently caress, so I've been getting some groceries from the local food pantry. As a result, I've got a jillion cans of chunk chicken meat. Looking around to see what I can make with them besides endless chicken salad sandwiches, I've got all the fixings to make a chicken pot pie.

I've found quite a few recipes that use pre-fab biscuits on top, instead of a pie shell. If I were to plop these on top, instead of Pillsbury-from-a-can, would it work?

http://scratchthiswithsandy.com/2014/02/11/20-minute-homemade-biscuits/

I'm also debating making a chicken corn chowder, since I got about 85 metric tons of canned corn on my visit to the pantry last week. Any favorite recipes there would be helpful, too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

dino. posted:

http://delightdishes.com/mokkajonna-patoli-curry-sweet-corn-usli/
Skip the step with the pressure cooking, as your corn will already be cooked.

As I am a lentil fiend, this sounds delicious, and I still have plenty of lentils from making New Year's Day soup (Czech tradition; the lentils represent little coins so you make it on New Year for prosperity... doesn't seem to have worked this year). It seems odd, though; only 1 tsp total lentils?

What's the best substitute for curry leaves? I have a nice collection of spices, but really can't afford to buy anything new.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I had an asston of pasta from the food bank, some eggs, a chunk of Toscano cheese from a friend, and a few ounces of leftover ham from splurgin' $3 on a half-ham the other day. I wanna give a shout out to this GWS recipe:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

I know I used ham instead of pancetta, and my cheese probably wasn't to spec but goddamn was that satisfying (and I didn't scramble the eggs in the pasta! perfectly creamy and unctious).

Just wanted to say thanks, GWS. :)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

Carbonara is one of the worlds great dishes.

No doubt! I'd never made it myself, and have only experienced tv dinner/Olive Garden versions. Not to toot my own horn --- I give full credit to the goon who posted the recipe I followed --- but what I made tonight absolutely owned.

(Although admittedly, making a cheesy eggish recipe by a goon named "The Jizzler"... yeah, didn't tell my boyfriend that part.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Probably a stupid question: can I make creamed spinach without heavy cream? I have plenty of whole milk and butter (also some sour cream, if we're going for body here). If I upped the butter/milk and thickened it with flour or something, would I get decent results? Every recipe I'm looking at on Epicurious calls for heavy cream.

Also, how does one convert fresh to frozen spinach? Is straight-up weight comparable? Obviously "six cups fresh spinach" doesn't compare to the tightly compressed frozen block I'd be using.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I just got a SNAP card (aka food stamps; a gov't assistance debit card that can only be used for food, for y'all non-US/non-poor goons). Thrilled to go fill my larders, I combed the local sale ads for the best deals, and Save-a-Lot had these 10 lb bags of frozen chicken leg quarters for 49 cents/lb --- so 10 lbs of dark meat for $5? Yes please.

After wrangling the hilariously large package into my freezer, I'm now faced with another challenge: what's the best way to work with this? I'm only cooking for 2, so ideally I'd only get a couple quarters out at a time. But it's a frozen solid block o' chicken quarters in a bag. I don't want to thaw the whole thing then refreeze the remaining chicken, that seems not only unsafe but like it'd lead to a massive drop in quality of the texture of the meat. If I was to thaw/cook it all at once, it'd go bad before we got through it, which would be a horrible waste.

I'm thinking a fridge thaw until it juuuust starts to soften, then try to pry/hack it apart...? I don't know. Help?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Eeyo posted:

What Casu said. Looks like peanuts have more protein per weight (~25%) than almonds or sunflower seeds (~20%), but soy nuts might work, they have maybe twice as much protein.

On the soy nut tip: thanks to the jook thread, I've been introduced to the wonder that is Angry Lady sauce. Gravity's got a recipe on the GWS wiki for homebrew Angry Lady that calls for soybeans.

1. Are these what he's talkin' about?
https://www.google.com/search?q=dried+soybeans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=peU-Va3TGIGosAWFmIE4&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1138&bih=580
2. Are these what are also referred to as soy nuts?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but my soy knowledge begins and ends with tofu and edamame. Lookin' for cheap protein to sustain my broke rear end, and I know the Asian market near me sells these for like less than a buck a pound.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

My local Asian mart has just changed manager/owner and has somehow become even more magical. Produce is cheaper, and variety of meats has increased.

I'm not first in line to buy the newly available pig uterus :stare:, but I gotta say the cheap prices on beef bones made me cock an eyebrow in interest. Always wanted to try an osso bucco, or something akin to that.

Is there a certain "cut" of bones I need to enjoy beef marrow, or can I get it from whatever these mystery label ("OX BONE") packages are? They're hunks of bone a couple inches long, with stuff inside. Seems like the right thing to me, but thought I'd check GWS first.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll try all of that advice. Someone in the Pot Beans thread suggested a recipe for the beans. I think I'll try that recipe, and then try it with pineapple juice the next time I make it.

I'm going to be eating a lot of cheap meat and beans for the foreseeable future.

If you're eating on the cheap, don't forget to use those thigh bones for stock! Then you're not wasting anything, and free stock makes everything better, especially when you're eating a lot of rice, lentils, etc.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

On the cooking-with-wine tip:

I'm broke as gently caress, but I have a decent SNAP (food stamps) account, being unemployed and all. SNAP covers cooking wine, but not real wine, as the former is sold as "NOT A BEVERAGE". I know cooking wine is horrible no-no poo poo and has a fuckton of salt in it, but I can work around that part. Am I a terrible person for buying cooking wine in this time of need? Years of Cooks Illustrated has taught me that alcohol breaks down/adds to certain flavors that fats or water won't, so I really want to use it for a splash in some sauces, sodium be damned (I'll just not add extra salt, problem solved...?), just for the chemistry.

Essentially, I want GWS to hold my hand and say, "it's okay, JD, that dash of cooking sherry in your sauteed mushrooms isn't going to send you to culinary hell, we understand."

That said: yeah, some 3 buck Chuck, or even Barefoot from 7-11 does the job just fine in a pinch when it comes to cooking, no one will know the difference in a stew. Don't feel like you need a $10 bottle to make a stew, unless you really want to drink the bottle with dinner. And even at that, there's some mighty palatable sub-$10 bottles out there, such as Chuck.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Google is giving me conflicting advice, so I turn to goons. Bought corn on the cob, in husks, which I'd normally eat the same day, but now my plans have changed.

Do I put 'em in the fridge, or keep them at room temp? I'm not worried about rot since I'll get to them tomorrow, but more about the sugar turning to starch.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Whenever I go out for Japanese/sushi, if I get the house salad it has an orange-colored dressing on it that seems to be based on carrots, ginger, and some sesame oil (I think). Anybody got a quick and dirty recipe on making that at home?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I think I may have asked this a while ago, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Is there a basic conversion equation for grilling => baking/broiling? I found a recipe that sounds delicious, but right now it's pouring out so whipping out the Weber isn't an option. IMHO all recipes for grilling should have an alternate "oh hey it's winter/it's pouring/you don't own a grill" cooking method, but until I become empress of the universe and make that the law, I could use some tips on how to convert grilling to broiling in my ghetto electric oven.

Eg., here's what the recipe I'm looking at says:

"Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect grilling over medium heat; the temperature inside the grill should be 350°—375°F (180°—190°C). If using charcoal, bank the lit coals on either side of the grill bed, leaving a strip in the center without heat, and place a drip pan in the center. If using gas, preheat the burners, then turn off 1 or more of the burners to create a cooler zone. Brush and oil the grill grate.

[snipping the spice rub part]

Place the thighs, meaty side down, over the indirect-heat area of the grill. Cook, turning once, until the thighs are nicely grill-marked on both sides and firm to the touch and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh away from bone registers 170°F (77°C), 10—15 minutes on each side. "

Sooo, do I just preheat the oven to 350, then turn it onto broil when I throw the chicken thighs in there? Obviously I can't make all these magical cooler/indirect heat zones and whatnot in a lovely 80's GE oven.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tonight I'm making split pea soup with some smoked ham hocks because 1) gently caress Yeah Autumn and 2) I like to make vats of soup so I don't have to cook when I come home exhausted from slaving over a dishpit for 12 hours, and 3) I am a poor, and a pot of legumes goes a long way. So on my day off tomorrow I was gonna do up the bag of black beans I have, as well.

Once I cut the ham off the hocks tonight, is there any point in saving the bones to throw into the black beans tomorrow, or have they lost all their mojo by then? (I'm probably gonna try it anyways because it can't hurt, and see #3 above, but just wondering.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

pile of brown posted:

A place I worked did a dish where we hydrated kombu, threw it in a blender with nori, a little rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, then mixed that slurry into unsalted butter to spread on toast.

Dang, that sounds good. Like an Asian... Vegemite... type... thing. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Wholly unrelated: where I work, they were tossing an rear end-ton of produce away because we're closed for the next 2 days. Even though I have no idea what to do with blueberries besides muffins, I couldn't watch 4 pounds of perfectly good fresh blueberries go down the industrial disposal, so I bagged them up and brought them home on impulse.

Any suggestions beyond muffins, smoothies, or just making jam out of them? I love to cook on my weekends off and am looking for something interesting to do with these fellas. What do blueberries pair with?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Do we have a thread for "hey, here's what's in my fridge, help me think of something interesting?" Like what they do on Splendid Table, or those FoodTV cooking competition shows where they give the contestants 3 bizarre theme ingredients. Or is this basically the thread for that?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

this has been the thread for that, but it's a perennial problem and a sort of question that gets asked in here a lot. make a thread specifically for it, i think it's a great idea!

Cool! I keep finding myself in this situation bc I started work for a deli in a grocery store. Mgmt is cool about us taking stuff home that we can't sell, so in one night I'll end up bringing home free things like bruised produce, a jar of peanut butter that's one day out of code, a carton of eggs we couldn't sell bc it has 2 cracked eggs in it, some quinoa that someone bagged from our bulk section then left in another dept when they changed their mind, and the likker from the spicy collards from our deli's hot bar. I get home and look at it and say "NOW what?" I like to think myself a clever cook, but tonight I'm just stumped. Thought maybe some other goons might have either the same problem of "wtf do I do with what I have?", or creative solutions. I'll try to craft an OP!

edit: the above are just examples, not actually what I'm dealing with tonight

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I had a sub to CI for over a decade, then ended up dropping it when it seemed to be repeating itself. I hadn't heard about the falling out with him and CI and ATK, so thanks for that. What do CI editorials look like now, are they actually about food and not rambling stories about Vermont and how some curmudgeon's tractor broke down and what a good horse ol' Freckles was before he saw a spice and died?

Coincidentally, I happen to have just gotten the first issue of Milk Street, Kimball's new magazine, from a friend. Let's look!

Inside cover: "Milk Street travels the world to bring you the very best ideas and techniques with no lists of hard-to-find ingredients, strange cookware, or all-day methods to slow you down."

Page 2: Use a falafel scoop to make cookies, only $12 on Amazon. (As opposed to, I dunno, a loving spoon.)

CI taught me many things, but goddamn does Kimball make me irrationally angry.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kimball is the whitebreadest of whitebreads.

BraveUlysses posted:

The whitest bread u know

Guys, he named his new "oooh, gonna travel the world and bring all these wacky foreign food techniques to the masses" food enterprise Milk Street. This poo poo writes itself.

(Yes, I know it's the name of the street their home office is on, but if I'm a new cook looking for easy ways to get into some *~ethnic~* variety, am I gonna pick up a mag called "Milk Street"? Maybe I need to crosspost this in PYF Dumb Marketing)

edit: also, in case you're curious, of course the editorial page features an illustration of Kimball looking smug as gently caress

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

vermin posted:

I'd like more Milk Street reviews to be honest.

Not sure if you mean you'd like more honest reviews, or you'd honestly like more reviews, but if it's the latter...

Page 7's article on hummus, the first line: "We make it wrong. We serve it wrong. We eat it wrong." Goes on to wax poetic about how it's served in Tel Aviv

Emphasis on the use of "we". Apparently no one who buys this magazine could possibly be from the Middle East, that might imply brownish people exist in the US

holy poo poo i'm sorry for the poor typing but I've just been blinded by his whiteness

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

(2) This is kinda food adjacent, but I have FUCKTONS of corks and wooden wine boxes and was wondering on some DIY applications.. I guess coasters and corkboards are the first thought for the corks, and all the boxes, well, I'm not really sure.

Not a DIY project, but the co-op I work for has a bin for recycling corks, via recork.org. They've got a donation location finder on the site, or you can ship them if you've got a fuckton. They sell the recycled cork to save trees and make stuff like cork-soled shoes and whatnot.

As for the wine boxes... I'm in desperate need for shelving, so if I had a ton of wooden wine crates I'd stack 'em sideways, apply some wood glue/screws, slap some stain on it, and admire my new hipster bookshelves.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tofu chat:

Disclaimer: I'm no tofu expert, but I do cook full time for a natural foods co-op deli that does a ton of tofu, and our stuff sells pretty well.

The thing to bear in mind with tofu is, usually the tofu is just a delivery medium for the sauce/dressing, when it comes to flavor. Don't think of it as a meat substitute, think of it like pasta (needs a sauce) or lettuce (needs a dressing). A steak can stand alone with a little salt and pepper; tofu isn't steak.

That said, our go-to method is to cube some firm tofu , then toss it in "red curry sauce":

1.5 c sesame oil
1.5 c tamari (or just plain old soy sauce, we use tamari bc it's gluten free)
4 Tb curry powder
4 Tb paprika
2Tb chili
2 Tb cajun seasoning

(We usually multiply this by 8 bc we're making 20 lbs of tofu. I think I scaled it right, but you might only need half of this for your average 1lb pack of tofu. Eh, poo poo doesn't really go bad if you have extra and leave it in your fridge.)

So you make this goop, slather your cubed tofu in it, then put it on a baking sheet and bake at 350 (or 325, or 375, goddamn when are we getting a new Vulcan that can hold a temp) for about 15-20 minutes. At this point you have tasty cubes! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

Let those zesty cubes cool off a minute so you don't burn yourself, then toss them in your sauce of choice. At my deli we do: tossed in sriracha with sesame seeds, one in bbq sauce, one in bottled thai ginger sauce, and one (not a fan tbh) that has shredded cabbage and vegan mayo. But basically if you do the red curry cubes, sky's the limit on how you want to sauce it afterwards. Good warm or cold.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I work for a small local restaurant that specializes in biscuits. We also partner with a local bakery for our Sunday brunch specials, where they supply delicious peasant, wheat, rye, etc breads.

I take home a lot of leftover/stale baked stuff. When I first got the job in October, I started taking home gallon ziplocs full of biscuits that would otherwise be tossed, put in them my freezer, and made a bitchin' Thanksgiving stuffing.

Now we're doing more with the bakery so I'm coming home with bags full of the loaf heels we can't use for sandwiches. I've got like 5 gallon bags hanging around from this weekend alone.

Besides making croutons to last me until the end of time, what are some other uses for a fuckton of about-to-go-stale bread and biscuits?

Edit to clarify for the UK crowd: I'm in the US, so by biscuit I mean the big flaky rolls, not what we call cookies and you call biscuits.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for the bread suggestions, y'all!

Suspect Bucket posted:

All french toast, all the time.

Totally would, but I'm working with tough, crusty heels here, not nice slices. But, to return the favor, here's a suggestion for folks looking for something to do with stale slices: we did a savory french toast for brunch a couple weeks ago. Same basic principle of bread slices dipped in beaten eggs & cream, but instead of the usual cinnamon/vanilla/sugar flavors you'd expect in french toast, we did thyme, rosemary, and some of our sausage seasoning.

I was skeptical when the boss announced it, and my brain back-fired on the first bite just because I'm so used to french toast being sweet, but hell if that wasn't some good poo poo. We served it with egg and cheese on top, but I bet a savory french toast made with rye would make a hella pastrami sandwich.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of gravy, would it work to just put starch in that broth before it cooked instead of pouring the broth off onto roux after it's done?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whole point of roux-then-broth is because the butter fat in a roux "unlocks" the starch and allows it to nicely blend with your liquid. Just putting starch into broth makes for lumpy, broken gravy.

EDIT

goodness posted:

What to do with 20 leftover Jalapenos?

Pickle some, and hot sauce some?

How big are they? If you got a mind to stuff them, for either frying or pickling, my boss taught me the easiest way to de-seed them while keeping them whole. I did 10 lbs and didn't split one. :smug: I'm happy to share with the class if y'all wanna know.

My suggestion: shred some carrot/radish/daikon, mix with some minced garlic, stuff em. Pickle em.

gently caress, now I wish I had 20 jalapenos lying around to try this idea out.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 22, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

wormil posted:

I have about 12 oz of beet juice. What to do with it. I love beets, my family not so much. I considered making rice with it but I doubt anyone will eat it except me. Any other ideas?

I make pickled eggs with beets; the eggs get dyed from the beet juice and come out really cool-looking. So spring-y!

(photo not mine)

I imagine you could just sub some or all of the water of a regular pickled egg recipe with the beet juice and get the same effect, even if you're not adding actual beets --- using red onion also bumps up the color factor. The vinegar, sugar, and spices pretty much overwhelm the beet-iness in the eggs, imo.

Edit: you can also take it step further and make deviled eggs with these, and the devil-ing stuff will probably further disguise it. (I fuckin LOVE beets, so it feels really awkward advising how to disguise their flavor, but I'm trying to help!)

You can also dye Easter eggs with it (along with a bunch of other stuff in your kitchen):
https://www.bhg.com/holidays/easter/eggs/natural-easter-egg-dyes/
Fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen, as well as use some produce that might have gone slightly south.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Olive! posted:

Can I get some recommendations for ways to use up 8 lbs of pork butt? I've already made a shitload of carnitas and chile verde in the past and I want something new. Smoking it is non-viable for me.

If you have a way at home to grind meat, or a friendly butcher near you, ground butt is what my restaurant uses to make sausage for patties and gravy.

Also, add "ground butt" to my on-going list of future usernames.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

al-azad posted:

I've been told cat paws smell like popcorn but I can't get my nose close enough without dying.
I swear my childhood dog had feet that smelled like corn chips, so quite possible! I've never tried sniffing my cats' feet, because one nose piercing is enough for me.

quote:

Brine it. Save your pickle juice, it's a perfect brine.
This goon speaks wisdom. My restaurant stores chicken to be fried in pickle juice, and that is one of the best tricks I've learned there.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone got ideas for things to make in my waffle iron that aren't just waffles?

My restaurant did a neat take on chicken and waffles for brunch one week: we put seasoned ground chicken in one of the waffle makers until it was just almost cooked thru.Then we cut the chaffle into quarters, breaded and fried them briefly to get a nice crisp on them. Put one piece of chaffle between two quarters of regular waffles, and viola, chicken and waffle sliders. We dressed them with an apple bacon chutney and bourbon maple syrup. Those things were slutty as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

P sure I know what I'm making next Saturday

I can get more deets on my chef's technique for doing the chicken if you're interested. I think there was a buttermilk brine involved at some point (we grind our own meat in house, so I know it started as boneless breasts). I just made the chaffles and the waffles and assembled them into sliders.

Our current chicken and waffles brunch item is blood orange & poppy seed waffles, fried chicken, and a spicy honey sauce artfully drizzled by yours truly. That poo poo's pretty banging, too.

Also, I swear I typed voila, gently caress this iPad and its autocorrect

Edit: also, if we have leftover waffles (because we only serve those for Sunday brunch, and sometimes make too many or too much batter in advance), we send them to our sister store next door. They toss em in the deep fryer and top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle of chocolate sauce, whipped cream, whatever, and sell them as a dessert special. Just in case you end up with more waffles/batter than you intended, you can churn out a few extras and put them in the fridge. Deep fry them, and they basically turn into funnel cake. This also works with pancakes.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2018