Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
So my mother bought me a slow cooker from my birthday and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Her theory is that I can toss some stuff in it, go to class, then come home and eat a tasty dinner in an apartment that smells like food. Has anyone got any good resources or any good ideas for what to do? Pretty much my only requirement is that I have to make it from scratch so I can avoid putting salt in it, as I can't eat salt. Ruling out most cured meats.

The best idea I've had so far is to make a kind of stew where I chuck the stuff I usually put in my pasta sauce, then add diced beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks to everyone who tried to help! Looks like I have plenty of experimentation to try with my new toy. I did go hunting for a slow cooker thread, I guess I didn't look hard enough.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

CoolZidane posted:

Basically, what advice do you guys have for a newbie chef with a reluctance against vegetables?
What veggies have you tried roasting? Carrot, pumpkin, potato, even scallions (the bulb, not the shoot) are really easy to roast and delicious. All you need to do is spray some oil on them (or toss in a bag with oil in it), toss some herbs on, add salt/pepper, bake for 20 mins or so each side at around 400F.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

Ground chili? Or ground cayenne pepper?

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's pretty easy to make, actually. Heat a good quantity of neutral oil until just simmering and add a lot of minced shallots or onions. Cook until the shallots no longer bubble (you're basically making a chile and shallot confit). Add fresh ground dried hot chiles (usually japones) and a bit of ground sichuan peppercorn. Add an rear end load of salt and some MSG. Cool and jar.

You can add deep fried soybeans if you want, but they're not really my favorite. Or peanuts, but I'm allergic.
How long would this last in the fridge, roughly? If I were to toss it in an airtight container.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Jeez, if it's basically a confit with a bunch of salt added, I'd guess...until the heat death of the universe maybe?
Thanks for the hilarious reply. How about if I don't add the salt?

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

I've got a medical condition where I'm not supposed to eat any salt.

edit: vvv not hypertension vvv

xarg fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

I wouldn't worry about finding surprise salt in non-processed foods like eggs. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is self-raising flour, that will have salt in it too. I don't know if your salt restriction is as much as mine but you can often ask your bakery to bake you salt-free bread, it's usually up to 100mg per slice otherwise. I find it easier to just look at the sodium quantity per 100g of food and aim for everything below a certain point (for me it's 100mg). Wolfram alpha can help with a lot of foods and finding out their constituents also :)