Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

General Venereal posted:

I'm not sure which thread this question would be more appropriate in - but I have a Spanish thyme plant and I'm not going to be able to use all the leaves before the plant inevitably starts dying on me. Anyone know if it's better to dry the thyme (in the oven), or freeze it? I'm hoping to preserve as much flavor as possible, for as long as possible.

I don't think tender herbs like that would handle freezing very well. I would dry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lower heat, longer cook time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

HClChicken posted:

I have one of those hams you buy at the grocery store and you cook. I've never cooked one before and all I've had before consists of brown sugar, butter, and sometimes a fruit like pineapple. What is something else I could try to do?

It's not been cut at all.

Cut up, simmer with a lot of cabbage or sauerkraut and a bottle of beer. Serve with good spicy mustard and some hard rolls.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Yes - that is what you want to get rid off..

Would an alternative be to clarify with eggwhites? Anyone?

Yeah, you can. I believe you can use agar to clarify as well, and it's less touchy than the egg raft.

quote:

Serve with chips, or something more german?

Chips would work. Maybe a potato salad or something not too heavy.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 17, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MrBishop posted:

I have a question related to General Venereal's about keeping herbs (or veggies, in my case). Just as a fun experiment, I picked up a couple little habaņero starters in the Spring, and now have nice pepper bushes full of delicious, gut-burning golden goodies. The problem is, I'd like to be able to save them (or at least, their heat) for making chili this winter. Is there a good way to do that, while maintaining as much flavor as possible? It really wouldn't break my heart to make a steaming pot of chile for the next 8 weeks to use them up, but I'd really prefer to space it out a bit.

As with my answer to his question, dry em.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pol Pot Pie posted:

Where am I supposed to talk about Pr0k's mom now?

Here is fine, but only if that's the name of a recipe you're looking to make.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Capped posted:

Since the original question included the Indian thread, can I ask what was wrong there specifically? The Indian thread op has history, influences, spices, techniques, important foods and equipment. How is this low effort or subpar compared to the Chinese thread?

Along these lines, the cake thread is pretty low content, yet was reopened. I'd think that would be restarted with something more than just "look at this cake I made" in the OP.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you have a instant read thermometer? If not, get one, they're indispensable in the kitchen.

You can always sacrifice one and check to see if it is cooked through if you are worried about them being done. Both temp/time combos seem fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^^Stay away from bitter beers. I like using stouts in mine. Something dark and malty with lots of body.

Phadedsky posted:

Is it possible to freeze bread dough like pizza dough? Because I have a recipe for three loaves of bread, but I really only need one loaf at a time. Plus then I would have some ready to bake dough. Thanks!

Freezing is fine. If you do a two rise dough, freeze after the first. If you do a single rise dough, freeze before you do a rise. Cut em down into portions, hit with a bit of oil and wrap well with plastic wrap.

Pull the dough out long enough before you want a pizza to let it thaw. A few hours before you wanna bake, toss it in a bowl and let it proof like normal. Cook like normal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phadedsky posted:

And this works with loaves of bread as well?

Yep.

Edit: Hell, dough is pretty forgiving. I've pulled em straight from the fridge, tossed in a cold oven and let doughs bake up to the proper temp.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mozi posted:

I have a bunch of extra sauce/topping made of sliced red onion, chopped bacon and beer. What's the best thing to put it on? Already had it on rockfish (delicious).

Put it on a burger. Or on toast. Or eat it with a spoon. Add it to a salad. stuff it into chicken. Add it to pasta.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like turtles posted:

What can you guys tell me about Polish food, beyond perogi and sausage? I've got a new restaurant across the street opening soon, "The Polish Cottage", and I want to get some idea of what I'm looking at.

What comes to mind first when Polish cuisine is mentioned is vodka.

After that is Bigos. It's a stew of cabbage, sauerkraut, and meat. So hearty and delicious. I make mine usually with a pork shoulder, sauerkraut, white cabbage, smoked kielbasa, a handful of peppercorns, and some caraway, then stewed with some stock and beer until amazing.

Besides that? Uh, I've always enjoyed golumpki, which is cabbage leaves stuffed with meat and veggies and rice and stuff.

Yum.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

A. I would not advise an experiment with adding alcohol to cake batter unless I knew more about what the recipe was. What recipe are you using? Baking is not like cooking; in cooking, you can tinker as you go and have a reasonable expectation that it'll come out okay. Baking, however, is more akin to firing rockets--you put all the carefully measured ingredients together, light a match, and keep your fingers crossed. The proportions of ingredients in cake batter are carefully calibrated to interact with each other in very specific, particular ways, and if you don't have much experience with baking cakes and with substituting things in cake batter, then it's really better, and safer, to stick with the recipe, rather than attempt to go off-road.

B. I'm not sure how much of the artificial root beer flavoring that they use in candies would infuse into the vodka, and I'm not sure whether having artificial-root-beer-flavor-infused vodka is a Good Thing. I'm thinking it might taste more like cheap cough syrup, not a good ingredient to have. Also, the amount of actual root beer flavor in a teaspoon of root beer extract is a lot more than the amount of actual root beer flavor you'd eventually get from a teaspoon of vodka. In order to have a commensurate amount of actual root beer flavor, you'd have to have more vodka, which would mess up your liquids.

E. If you're absolutely determined to make the cake whose recipe you have there in your hand, you might be able to substitute any other flavoring or extract--vanilla, maple, peppermint, etc. It depends on the recipe.

Do you know how vanilla extract is made?

Edit: But yeah, don't do an untried recipe for an in-law.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any ideas what to do with ~2.3 pounds of pork top loin? I've tried slow cooking it, and braising it, but both of those it didn't have enough fat content to remain moist. Oven baked with a heavy seasoning rub worked out nicely, but there was very little flavor penetration towards the center of the meat.

Oven roasting is nice. Make a pan sauce from the drippings, and you'll help flavor the center once cut.

Also, be sure to be roasting to only like 140F. Overcooked pork is foul.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gourd of Taste posted:

Seems a little silly to say 'it got dissed in the other place so I put it here because someone new to cooking won't know any better.'

Especially with the same misinformation as last time, namely way too much liquid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

Actually, I wasn't the one who posted it in the Slow Cooker thread--I didn't even post in that thread at all--but thanks for the feedback, nice to see that nothing's really changed here, "Whirled Peas" initiative notwithstanding.

Oh jesus christ you have a horrible persecution complex. I didn't say you posted the original one. I'm just saying you pretty much gave out the recipe in here word for word, and didn't improve on its shittiness (cook time and liquids).

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Is there a special rabbit-sourcing trick? I haven't found a local butcher that carries them regularly, and when they do, they're frozen.

Frozen isn't horrible for rabbit. Most of the time when we go hunting, we'll get the bag limit, and freeze most of them every time. They don't fry or roast up as nice, but will do fine in a stew.

Alternatively, go hunting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pot du creme, creme brulee, sabayon, pastry cream, pudding, cheese cake, pound cake, chiffon cake, ice cream cake, mousse, french toast, cookies, clafouti.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

Cooking a steak tonight with home made spiced wedges. Thinking I might like a sauce but not sure, something thick for the steak. The wedges are currently in the oven after being boiled. Any quick recommendations? I'm happy to have the steak solo obviously

Sauce Bearnaise.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

So, I love spicy food. Indian, what Mexican I've had, what Thai I've had. What other countries is spicy food a standard thing?

Korean.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

Got any easy recipes I can do? or just names or stuff that I can search for online? That would be awesome.

Bulgogi with a good dollop of ssamjang and a side of kimchi is pretty traditional and delicious. Got a nice kick to it too.

Bibimbap is a mixed rice bowl full of veggies and meat and rice with ssamjang again. It's awesome and easy to do.

Uh, my favorite spicy Korean food is kimchi jjigae. It's a stew of tofu, veggies, pork or seafood, and a lot of really fermented kimchi, seasoned with ssamjang.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chicken soup?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's possible your yeast didn't activate, your yeast is dead, your yeast is old, or you didn't add enough yeast.

It's also possible you were rising in too hot of a location or too cold of a location.

It's also possible you overkneaded.

It's also possible you added too much flour.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Always stir fry with thinly sliced beef, a bit of onion, and oyster or XO sauce.

Edit: roasting broccoli is fantastic too. Broccoli slaw is great as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rj54x posted:

Not can't handle - just not very good at it. You could of course do it in steel pans if you liked, but I always get better results with my iron.

I use my cheap thin aluminum and SS pans to sear great steaks all the time. Get a real stove, noob. :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You have a couple options to thicken a dish like that:

1) start with a roux
2) cornstarch slurry added in
3) reduce
4) knead equal parts butter and flour together and mix in

Edit: You could have also strained the tomatoes before adding them in to get rid of some of the extra liquid

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds like some sort of ~fusion~ thing.

I'd start with a kimchi recipe and go from there. I really like the one from here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yes posted:

You can sub it 1:1. The end result will be denser, but more moist. Try it!

They'll also brown up a lot more. I love brown sugar cookies!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Roast hardier green veggies. Brussels, broccoli, etc are all awesome roasted up with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper.

Gratins also own.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:rolleyes:

If it is seasoned fine, I'm guessing you either used too high of heat or didn't let it heat up long enough. Cast iron can heat unevenly, and if you toss food in too quickly, you're gonna get poo poo stuck to the bottom.

Also, soap is fine if you accidentally add a bit. I've soaped my dutch oven more than once, and OMG it's still fine.

Just keep cooking with it. Use metal utensils, and scrape your pan after using. Use a 3M no scratch pad if it gets bad enough.

But really, if you can scrape off "seasoning" with a spatula or a scrub pad, it was a poo poo "season".

Most of the super slick cast iron has been used longer than you've probably been alive. My main skillet and dutch oven are gifts from my granddad. If you wanna quicken it up, get some sand paper and grind off all the bumps and stuff on the cooking surface, then reseason.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yes posted:

Goddamn, cast iron is the dry denim of this forum. Just use it. Maybe you need a little more oil the first few times. Big deal!

I love this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

I swear CasuMarzu just did something like that, but I can't find the post.

I've done quite a few extraordinary things. I've done pumpkins. I've done vanilla custards. I can't lay claim to combining both, through.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Potato masher

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grate parmesan or another fairly dry cheese onto a silpat or parchment and bake until browned.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I roasted a chicken Thursday night and half about half the carcass left because I had other things come up that kept me away from home.

Of course I generally use the bones for stock, but what's something cool I can do with the meat? I don't really care for chicken noodle soup.

Chicken pot pie

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried that it's 3 days since I cooked it so it will probably start spoiling soon so I should go for something that requires heating it up again. Maybe that idea makes no sense.

If your fridge can maintain a constant temp, you're fine eating cold chicken after 3 days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Somebody give me a good recipe for braised oxtail. I looked around on google but there are so many lovely recipes and I don't think any of my good cookbooks have one in them.

I've made this oxtail stew before and it is not bad.

I've also done beef bourguignon,but subbing oxtails in place of whatever other piece of beef used. I don't have a link handy, but I've always liked julia child's beef bourguignon.

Edit: here's julia's recipe.

MORE EDIT! This oxtail recipe looks pretty tasty. Think I'm gonna make that this week.

Because that goons with spoons wiki oxtail...thing looks pretty unappetizing. Sorry.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 24, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like these

Otherwise, if you want really, really light cupcakes, make chiffon cupcakes. They're gonna be the most airy, light cupcakes you're gonna get.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

casual poster posted:

I'm actually just trying to see how far I can push my crock pot, not to good at cooking in general though. So, when making a pot roast, do I just throw a 3lb slab of meat in the pot, or cut it somehow?

From earlier on this same page:

taqueso posted:

The onion soup mix should be in the soup section... Good news is that you don't need it.

Basic Pot Roast (from memory)
2-5 lbs cheap cut of beef
1-2 onions, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1-2 celery stalks, chopped
Some garlic
Bay leaf
Red wine (optional)

Remove any huge fat chunks from the meat. Don't clean it up too much, you want some fat. Salt it on all sides.

Add oil to a pan and sear the beef on all sides, put it in the slow cooker.
Saute the onions for a few minutes
Add the carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute all this stuff until onions are golden.
Put all that into the slow cooker.
Add a couple cups of water and a splash of wine to slow cooker
Add bay leaf to slow cooker

Cook on low until the meat is falling apart. You can strain the juice and make it into gravy or au jus if you want.

My mom likes to add potatoes to the cooker towards the end, but I don't like the way they come out. I just make baked potatoes seperately if I want them. She also uses big pieces of carrot that she serves with the meat. Yuck in my opinion, but YMMV.

You can modify this recipe in a zillion ways -- add mushrooms, add green/red peppers, add spicy stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You're fine cooking it in just one big chunk. You're also fine cooking it in quarters. Or even smaller pieces.