Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Like I said, it was entirely on a whim. Worst case, it would have been a supplement to my dog's dinner. I took about 8 ounces of dried split peas, boiled for a minute in about 6 cups of water. In a stock pot, I added 4 strips of lightly cooked, chopped bacon, a tablespoon of salt, two cloves of garlic, and a bay leaf. Cooked down the liquid, I added a 5-6 turns of a pepper mill. The texture was nice, the taste was okay, but pretty bland. Made two large-ish bowls of soup.

You need vegetables in that to add flavour. The bacon alone can't possibly cut through all those mushy peas. Carrots and onions are given. Celeriac is extremely well suited as well, if you find it, or parsnip. Finally, use thyme for seasoning. It too has heft and depth enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Phadedsky posted:

I was wondering if anyone had a good pizza sauce recipe. I've recently gotten into homemade pizzas and I would like to make my own sauce rather than getting store bought. Also this might be a stupid question, but can you cook steak in a cast iron pan? If so how? Thanks!

Chop a small onion finely and some garlic. Fry for a little. Add a small tin of tomato concentrate and a couple of tins of good San Marzano tomatoes, and some water. Season with whatever you like, try using salt, pepper, a little sugar, oregano and a few grains of cinnamon.

How can you not cook a steak in a cast iron pan? Dry the steak well with paper, season it with salt and pepper, and leave it on the counter for a while, half to one hour should do. Grease the pan, heat the poo poo out of it, and give the steak a nice quick fry on both sides to get a good browning. This is not "sealing in the juices", it is simply for flavour. There is no way to seal in the juices anyhow. Drop the heat down to half and give the steak another few minutes on each side. You need to figure out yourself how you like it and how long to fry it. if you prod it with your fingers and it still feels soft like raw meat, it's cooked rare. A little more springy and it's medium. Practice makes perfect.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Add as much garlic as you like. I forgot to mention: this needs to be reduced over heat until consistency is right. Try to "fry" the sauce a bit as it reduces. This gives a good flavour to the tomatoes. Basically turn the heat up a little towards the end and keep stirring and scraping.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Not The Wendigo posted:

A lot of recipes for soups and other water-cooked foods say "boil, then reduce to a simmer". I can sort of see why it might be important for recipes where you boil, then add ingredients, then simmer. That way adding everything reduces the water to the proper temp. But why do some recipes say "add ingredients, boil, simmer"?

Bring to boil, then reduce heat to keep the vigorous boiling from turning everything into mush.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

I bought some salmon.

Whole salmon. Two fish. Not particularly big fish, maybe 3-5lbs all together?

Help. I do not know what to do with a whole salmon. I mean, I could always fillet it but as far as I know you don't make stock with salmon and that'd leave me with a ton of wasted fishbits. I have two whole fish - there's gotta be something cooler to do with them than fillets.

You can perfectly well cook a stock from salmon bones. It'll make a great selyanka soup base.

My favourite salmon recipe with whole salmon is to scrape the scales of a side of salmon, and cut into hand-width steaks. Score the skin a little. Marinate in

1 tbs Chinese five spice powder
1 tbs grated fresh ginger
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs oil

Dry skin off, then fry skin-side down in medium-hot cast-iron pan until just cooked through. Use a lid for a few minutes to cook through. The skin should be crispy, not burnt, and is delicious. Serve with whatever you like, a fresh green mustard vinaigrette salad and some simple vegetables like sugarsnaps, carrots, squash or broccoli is perfect.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

pr0k posted:

I don't give a crap though. I just wanted to post this.

You post that, I post this

:nws: http://www.thebuttmaster.com/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Butter. I never really found out about that purported flakiness of shortening. Margarine makes a very neutral-tasting pastry and is somewhat easier to crumble into the flour, but the butter flavour is usually a good thing.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scrape up the pan, pass the juices through a sieve, then thicken if you like?

I suppose there's two ways you can go about it, either you make a flour-based gravy or a cream-based one.

For the former you could make a light, brown roux of butter and flour, then add the pan juices to it and adjust seasoning. For the latter, just add some whipping cream to the juices and simmer for a while to let it thicken. Suggestions for variations might be some fried, sliced mushrooms, a splash of sherry or port, and/or herbs like snipped chives, tarragon, thyme or rosemary. Just adapt to what you have on hand.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Phadedsky posted:

Thanks! Is there a ratio/specific amount of butter or flour I should add?

About equal in weight. That should make it nice and fatty and easy to whisk and brown. Not a very dark roux, just a little toasted.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wouldn't go too heavy on the garlic, it can be quite overpowering for a gratin. Believe me, I've tried. Sometimes less is really more.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Barnum posted:

Butter poached white asparagus suspended in a calves liver pate. Good idea?

Kind of a waste. Nothing that will go wrong, it's just that the asparagus is so much better on its own. And the liver pâté will drown out the asparagus. I'd go for some strips of boiled ham myself if you want something to liven up the grayness.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The standard white bell mushrooms in the store are way too firm to snap-fry, and have rather little flavour. One way I've found to "revive" them that always works, is to dry-roast them in quarters in a hot pan for a few minutes until deep brown patches appear. This dries them out a bit, concentrating the flavour and deepening it. When all are done roasting, I give them a final quick fry in hot butter with black pepper and salt. Sometimes I'll toss a smashed clove of garlic in there to lend a little flavour as well, I take it out when they're done. They taste mighty good for cheap supermarket button mushrooms.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

kiteless posted it.

http://nookandpantry.blogspot.com/2007/12/day-9-brown-sugar-cookie.html

They were okay in my opinion. Terribly sweet but interesting as far as sugarbombs go.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

So, does anyone have some good heart-healthy lactose-free candy recipes, or know of a good source?

Some kind of nut brittle? Almonds in particular are very heart-friendly, but I suppose they should be raw to keep the healthy nut oils intact. How about fruit jellies? Made with fresh fruit juices? Sugar in itself isn't a poison, like some would have us believe.

(gently caress people who say "don't eat candy".)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

I have never made brittle before, but that sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

I just thought of something, if it's not an insult....old people sometimes have trouble chewing really hard stuff. Just sayin'

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

This is an excellent suggestion. I might add that they're both much easier to make and better-tasting if you can get hold of atta flour, which is a quite finely ground whole-wheat flour.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I need some ideas for something easy that uses a ton of eggs and freezes well. I just came into possession of 4 dozen eggs dated 2 weeks from now and I'm leaving town for most of the week.

Whenever my mom has a lot of eggs, she'll bake a pan of a really good, rich cake stuffed with almonds and currants called Mor Monsen (Mother Monsen) and freeze.

1 lb softened butter
1 lb sugar
1 lb sifted wheat flour
10 eggs (about 1 lb), separated, whites whipped stiff
2 ts baking powder
zest of two lemons

Cream the sugar and butter with zest. Whisk inn egg yolks alternately with wheat flour and baking powder. Fold in egg whites.

12x15" greased and papered baking pan.

Top with two big handfulls each chopped almonds, currants and sanding sugar/pearl sugar. 350F/175C 30-40 minutes in bottom of oven.

Eat the next day at the earliest, it benefits from a good rest.

Safety Engineer posted:

Any advice on incorporating yellow squash into a beef/veggie soup? Toss it in at the beginning or closer to the end?

Big chunks, let simmer along for at least half hour. That way they won't boil to bits and you still get tender, succulent bits of squash.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Santoku knives are great for small-to-medium-sized vegetable prepwork where the normal paring knife might be just a little too small.

Also take note of the following: the "Chinese Cleaver" is, in fact, a chef's knife but with a very tall blade that gives it some particular features. Chief amongst these is the (extremely useful, it would seem) ability to use the knife to carry prepared foods to the cooking vessel. It also serves to make it more stable laterally, and the height makes it easy to guide it by the thumb-side of the supporting hand. The name of this knife is "cai dao", meaning vegetable knife, reflecting its most common usage although it's equally used for final carving of meat, fish, noodles, pastry or tofu. What it is not, is a good cleaver with a heavy, soft blade, made for chopping into bone. For this purpose, the Chinese have an similar tool, called a tu dao. Here's a specimen. It's a knife for breaking up an animal, and it looks like it: http://product.11467.com/176236

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Speaking of stock...

I have a ham bone and a bunch of assorted carcass pieces from a pair of cornish game hens. I would like to transform these, via methods or magic, into delicious soup. I have never done anything of the sort before, with my soup experience being generally limited to cans. Questions:

- Do I turn this into stock first, and then use that stock for soup?
- How would I do that?
- What vegetables could I add to make the stock, or should I save those for the soup side of things?
- Is it a bad idea to use both poultry bones and the ham bone?

Please guide me through this new and strange adventure!

1. You boil stock out of the bones and fleshy bits and then strain it. The strained stock turns into a base that can be used for soup, sauces or a sexual lubricant.

2. Boil in lots of water for a few hours. No salt. I don't know if it's true but I've heard it said that salt in a stock makes flavour bind to the bones and meat. Also you probably don't want extraneous salt. With stock in place, go to town and make some soup. What soup? I dunno, you tell me. Cream of something? Clear broth-like soup with chunks of veg and meat and noodles?

3. Quartered onions (a bit of onion skin gives a nice yellow colour). Celeriac and celery stalks. Garlic cloves. Bay leaf. Parsley stalks. Green onions and leek (a good place to use very stringy green tips). Carrots. Ixnay on cabbage, swede or other very pungent or mushy or distinctive types of vegetable or herbs.

4. No, quite the contrary.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Has there ever been a healthy cooking thread here in GWS?? I broke my wrist and between holiday food and my general lack of do nothing for the past two months (and the next three or so now), I will sadly need to stop eating whatever the gently caress I want.

I want healthy food that doesn't taste bland :smith:

You'd be welcome to start a thread. Depending on your viewpoint, you're gonna have to choose between posting it here and in W&W I guess. W&W already has threads with recipes but a lot of it is either horrible low-carb stuff or it's weightlifters exchanging ideas for how to cram more tuna down their gullets.

Also second the stress thing. Most foods that are not processed, nor rotten or moldy, will be "healthy" in the sense that they will build your body and offer nutrients to keep you fed without damaging it in the long run. Cholesterol is an issue, but as it turns out, stress has a significant effect on the formation and shape of cholesterol released into the bloodstream. (No, I don't have time to locate the source now.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

It's something of a specialty product, yeah. It's not as widespread in standard grocery stores as Maseca. You should try looking for Harina P.A.N., it's the most common brand.

What's the difference between the yellow and orange P.A.N. masa flours?

e: I mean the colour of the bags, not the masa itself. Is it simply that the orange bag stuff is non-nixtamalized? Can the nixtamalized masa also be used for arepas? It sure makes for nice corn tortillas, if nothing else.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eat them with head cheese and bread.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I want me some fukkin sweetbread action next spring. Breaded, deep fried, mushrooms sautéed with lemon and parsley. Yessssssss

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

How do you crumble chorizo? What kind of chorizo are you getting over there?

Usanian chorizo is basically spiced sausagemeat, it's not the cured Spanish sausage.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

loopsheloop posted:

Can someone tell me how to make a curry like this:

Buy pack, follow directions.

Failing that, a long and tedious process of making a curry roux (kare ruu) involving caramelizing vast quantities of finely minced yellow onion that are added to a regular, nutty brown roux along with more or less ordinary curry powder. To which is added stock to fashion a thick gravy, which is seasoned with puréed fruits. Browned cubes of your meat of choice (pork butt or beef shoulder or similar), cubes of potato..did I forget anything? You can probably find huge amounts of info on the Net on how to make Japanese curry. But, like I said, almost everyone makes it from cubes at home. It's what's Right.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Somebody got a good recipe for a lemon meringue pie?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

razz posted:

I've been slogging through the diet and nutrition megathread, and someone posted that venison contains more natural creatine than beef or other farm-raised animals because they are very active and animals raised for food are not. Since I'm going to start lifting weights next week in order to be less of a scrawny useless girl, this interests me.

I've searched through some online journal databases and can't seem to find a study on this. Does anyone have more information?

Venison is high-grade meat and excellent nutrition for athletes but I'm not sure if any increased creatine levels will have that much impact for you if you're starting out. Creatine supplementation, in my experience, takes a good deal of sweat before you start to notice the effects. If you want to add creatine to your program I'd go for a supplement and follow a supplementation plan, which is what you need to do to maintain an elevated level for a long period.

Anything else of "functional foods" thinking is in my book just a bonus and I don't really bother that much. The exception is chocolate milk, which is pure medicine and restores your body like nothing else.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

Having an Indian food night tonight at my friend's place tonight and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion/recommendation for a paneer-based curry? I was thinking maybe mutter paneer but please feel free to regale me with tales of amazing paneer curry.

Actually, just regale me with tales of curry. Curry owns.

Paneer snype:

shahipaneershahipaneershahipaneer with cashews and cream and butter :d :d :d :d

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SubG posted:

Seconding this. The tricky part of making really good coq au vin these days is usually finding a tough, gamey bird.

And to let it marinate for a night with the wine, braising brunoise, and maybe a shot of booze just because.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would recommend thighs over breasts. They are more flavorful, are cheaper, and you can do a lot more with them. A basic pan roasted chicken thigh is a great skill to have and you can vary it a lot based on seasonings you choose to use and sauces you may or may not serve with it.

You can also braise them in a liquid of your choice. Since you're just starting out, find a good tomatillo salsa. Brown the chicken thighs, skin side down on medium heat, don't rush it. Going slow will allow the fat to melt off. Once a deep brown is accomplished, flip so that the skin is facing up, add about a tsp of ground cumin to the fat and allow to get fragrant, then add the tomatillo salsa. Jiggle the pan so that the salsa settles on all sides of the thighs, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until thighs are tender. Finish with some cilantro. If you feel up to it, I encourage you to make your own tomatillo salsa.

You can also brine them, dredge, and deep fry.

I can't believe you, out of all, wrote this without mentioning chicken thigh adobo.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Any good recipes for tom kha gai? I remember a thread a while ago but I can't find it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

My friend has to cook a traditional norwegian dish for a college class. Any suggestions?

Sweet, savoury? Warm, cold? Little effort, much effort?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

1) Either, 2) either, 3) umm... up to intermediate level I guess?

Okay, is this a dish that is to be served to a lot of people? Or as a part of a potluck or similar?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eh. Well. I'mmmmmmmooouaaawwrr :staredog:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bindaetteok are delish.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I can get it fresh year-round in the Pakistani supermarket at the nearby subway station. Just wander into a reputable Asian greengrocers and ask them if they have any sarson. Also gives you +150 White Guy Points for knowing the indigenous names of immigrant foodstuffs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It....could be? Man, I need to go have a look tomorrow, it's kinda hard to be sure. I'll take a pic of it for you, if you like.

e: chop your veggies beeeg. Zucchini sliced in half lengthwise, that kind of size. Lets you get a good sear on the outside before they turn into burn rubber.

e2: of course they were out when I checked in today :saddowns:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 25, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

neckbeard posted:

I'm going to Iceland in 2 weeks and was wondering if Hakarl is really as bad as Ramsay and Bourdain have made it out to be?

It's extremely pungent. Remember the first time you had really strong blue cheese or a green olive? Get into that mindset. My Icelandic roomate sat at the kitchen table and ate it like a snack with a toothpick, no hard booze in sight. Other Icelanders make a huge fuss about it. I can stomach it, for sure.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've got a bunch of mint left over from the other day. What to do with it?

Doogh/ayran/tan/whatever. 1 part yoghurt, 3 parts fizzy water, pinch of salt, chopped mint, ice cubes. Mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Why cook them beforehand? Would make it crumbly and you'd lose the juices sloshing around inside.

I have a pound of good okra I bought on a whim that I need to use today. Suggestions?