Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've got a vacuum packed chunk of bacon, and I can't eat the entire chunk by myself. The label says to use immediately after opening, but I'm wondering, if I cut half off, immediately seal it in a new bag, and put in the fridge, should it still keep for at least 24 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I see there's already some bean talk here...
I've been soaking some black beans today and went to cook them a little while ago. I'm not used to cooking beans so I just did what I assumed correct, added a bunch of fresh water and salt. Then I google up just to check, and find a load of recommendations to not add salt to the water as it will harden the beans. At that point the beans have already boiled for 10-12 minutes; I pour the water and replace it with fresh, cold water (and no salt), and place it back on the heat.
How hosed are my beans?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hauki posted:

The salt thing's been proven to be bullshit, so not at all?

Ah, that's reassuring. That the internet's ability to perpetuate bullshit is still intact, I mean. (Thank you internet.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Question for pastry baking chemists: I'm trying to make dorayaki pancakes following the JustOneCookbook recipe.
I'm having trouble getting them to bake right.

My stove is an old electric with cast-iron plates. There are 6 power settings for each plate.
I'm using an undamaged ceramic non-stick frying pan to bake in.

If I attempt to bake the dorayaki at heat setting 3, it seems the batter never solidifies or rises properly, instead just becomes sticky like the sugar is melting into caramel. It's difficult to reach under the cakes without massively deforming them and they don't really form a proper crust.
At setting 4 the cakes do solidify, rise, and form a crust, but the time window between having solidified enough to lift it without deforming it, and the bottom almost charring, is very short. I think the proper bake time is between 50-60 seconds, but because of how fast the crust darkens I'm worried the center of the cakes will end up unbaked.

Can anyone explain what's actually happening, why baking completely fails at the lower heat setting?
Any suggestions on how I can improve my process?

I'm strongly considering getting a new non-stick skillet with much lower walls, and perhaps look for an even thinner spatula.
I also have a tabletop single-plate induction cooker, but my preferred pan isn't compatible and I have very little experience using it.