Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

5436 posted:

Tell me if I'm crazy. I want to make some thin chewy chocolate chip cookies. Mine typically come out of medium thickness. I was thinking of not creaming the butter/sugar but rather melting the butter and then going through with the cookie making. Thoughts?

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe uses melted butter and bread flour, and it is ridiculously amazing. They're chewy and soft, with a lovely crispy bottom. This site has it, if'n you're interested. Actually, I think I'm gonna have to bake a batch now...they're SO drat YUMMY.

I have my own question: I have a lot of venison backstrap and I am sick and goddamn tired of making chili or chicken frying it. I've been courting the idea of making venison roast with a super flavorful mushroom and red wine reduction sauce, but I dunno if it would be good or terrible. It seems like the gamey flavor of the meat would marry well with a sturdy mushroom flavor, but I'm kinda new to any cooking that isn't baking or, well, deep fried southern comfort food, so I'm not sure I trust myself to be right on this. Plus I shot and butchered that deer myself, and I wanna make sure I treat that backstrap with the reverence it deserves.

Any other ideas for venison meat are welcome. I have a freezer full. Not that I'm complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Very Strange Things posted:

*delicious venison advice*

Ok, that sounds like a winner, and I have always wanted a reason to use my spikey meat hammer outside of chicken fried steak. I have an overabundance of morels and miatake mushrooms that'll probably be orgasmic with this. Thank you so much!

And good luck to YOUR GIRLFRIEND's kiddo! Deer hunting is kinda :smith: for me cause CUTE BABIES, but I can't seem to turn down the chance at a freezer full of delicious carcass every year.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have gallons upon gallons of regular Meyer lemon Limoncello, as well as Meyer lemon and GINGER Limoncello. As delicious as they are, my recent drunk thread posts suggest I need do do more than just chug the stuff. Suggestions for non-sipping use? Ideas for use in savory recipes? Omg HELP I HAVE SO MANY MEYER LEMONS.

Anyone want a free care package of lemony vodka deliciousness? HELP ME.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

Marinate some chicken in it?

I've done a lot of that, and it was good (save the one...flaming chicken...incident.), but I'm looking for more inspiration. Cause seriously, chicken and vodka and preserving lemons for future lamb use are the only ideas I've had so far.

It doesn't help that these are TRUE meyer lemons and thus not great for pies or anything that relies on a lot of acidity. They're sweet enough to eat like a handfruit.

OH WOE IS ME, MY PERFECT CITRUS IS TOO BOUNTIFUL!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

dino. posted:

PM sent so hard.

This would most likely work out great in Thai type curries, where the natural sweetness is a benefit (so that you wouldn't need to add much sugar), while still giving a lovely lemony flavour. It would also likely taste amazing when added to white bean soup (white beans, onions, garlic, lots of rosemary, olive oil, a slug or two of the ginger limoncello). Again, the sweetness would work way in your favour.

OMG. The ginger one would be PERFECT in a Qurma. The creaminess of the curry would be great with the sweetness of the limoncello. Seriously, give it a shot. I made a qurma yesterday that was coming out a bit too acidy, until I added a bit of sugar to it, at which point the whole thing just got perfect. I'm generally not a fan of sweet in curries, but a little goes a long way.

I would love you forever if you sent me some though. Especially the ginger. Dear god I love ginger.

PMed back!

I made a slap-dash Thai curry with shrimp using the gingery stuff, and wowsa! Good call. That bright lemon and ginger sweetness was show stopping! Excellent idea. I'm going to use all of your ideas, sir. And for you? All the free lemon vodka infusions you want. That curry shrimp made my drat day, and I wouldn't have thought of it. So Good!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was also thinking that a lot of salt preserved lemons could be made, so that later one could make lemon chanh muối. (which is of course the best thing)

I always salt cure lemons in 1 dozen ball jars with chanh muối in mind. I should send you a coupla jars of that too!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Can someone explain to me how to have a mixed vegan/omnivore household where I'm the only cook and also we're both kinda poor? I'm type 1 diabetic and allergic to tree nuts, my boyfriend hates tofu and curries of every variety (sorry dino! I tried!) and I can't just make him go meatless because it's not fair, but he refuses to make me cook meat. It is starting to seem impossible, and I'm tired of him feeling like he has to go out to eat terrible food while I enjoy my delicious home cooked food. Surely there's some compromise meals that I can make that aren't some version of beans with rice and veggies or massive salads.

To add to the madness, I have some serious medical conditions that limit my ability to eat fatty foods and he's trying to lose weight. Food has become our nightmare and I'm tired of this. ANY ideas?

Alsoalso, any sugar-free Christmas desert recipes that don't absolutely suck all the life out of you when you eat them?

:smith: Take care of your health, folks. I've been in and out of the hospital for a year, and this is how I have to eat for the rest of my life. Love yourself and your food while you can!

To clarify: My boyfriend is a loss in the kitchen and also works 12hr days, so he just can't cook his own foods without massive sacrifice. I CAN cook meat, but I really have a hard time with it mentally, and I'm honestly sorta really bad at it since I can't taste it anyway. UGH. We're a pain in the rear end.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 5, 2013

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Whooboy that was more successful than I expected...cause duh of course it would be. I am seriously taking notes, buying a George Foreman, and stealing half to 3/4 of Squashy Nipples' girlfriend's recipes cause insanely spicy is a-ok with me. (Also: Raw Kale Salad with 5 Spice Tofu and Coconut Bacon. Holy poo poo, look at the lunch I'm making!)

To address a few things: I'm specifically allergic to almonds and cashews, but all nuts make my mouth itch and peel, with the exception of coconuts and peanuts, so I just avoid all of them out of habit. Dumb habit, maybe, but I'm epi-pen-level allergic to almonds so I'm just gonna be a big ol' baby bout that one.

My boyfriend IS a baby that doesn't like about half the veggies in the world. I can't blame him too much, his mother is the worst cook I have literally ever encountered and ruined him on quite a few things growing up. To go with it, he has OCD that manifests in some food ways. That's not relevant here except with the curry (I should have been more clear here): he won't eat curry or anything that tastes or smells of Indian or Thai curry because he was once at deaths door thanks to some really questionable goat curry he had once, and just the smell of an Indian restaurant makes him panic. I'll hear no bullshit about this making him a baby...I've seen it personally. It's real and painful for him. I haven't bothered even bringing fenugreek leaves in the house it's so bad.

As to the rest, YES I'm bored, and YES THANK YOU to all of you for the ideas. I do need to make him more accountable for his own food I guess. I really don't MIND cooking the meat myself, HE minds listening to me gag cause my baby-rear end got some juice on my apron.

TLDR: Ugh dating a food baby is hard when you're a big baby yourself, but thank you for the wonderful ideas!

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 5, 2013

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Um, cilantro is the best herb there is and I have heard tales of savory coconut sticky rice, but never trusted the sources talking about it (vegans that think Boca burgers are food :rolleyes:). Yes please and a lot of thank yous!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Those are probably be Tursu...they're as easy as any other pickle to make and usually include some chiles for a bit of heat. They can be hard to find already made, though. You can always ask the restaurant where they get their pickles. That's how I have 14 jars of various delicious pickled veggies stocked up in my pantry. I don't have a recipe for good ones, but google gives some promising looking results if you can jar your own at home.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't know what kind of flatbread you're working with, but the restaurant I worked at did flatbread pizza and we just par-baked the bread to thisclose to being done. About two minutes or so, but you have to experiment with it. Then we dry stored it for the day. It's not something that keeps for long, and it's a pain in the rear end to do daily. Charging out the rear end and justifying the price based on toppings (duck, pork belly, and cherry reductions) were the only way to make it financially salvageable as a menu item, according my my boss.

The par-bake does work well though. Even if you're salamandering it just for the ingredients and then popping it in a hot oven to insure even melt, flat bread takes a lot of heat abuse.

Edit: our flatbread was basically a cross between ciabatta and pita. Look for recipes like that. That bread can take a goddamn beating.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 9, 2014

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I know they're meat, but have you considered the middle of the bacon? Swear to god, you can't tell the difference.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

me your dad posted:

We ate at the Old Mill restaurant not long ago in Pigeon Forge TN, and they had these great green beans, seen here. What's the secret to beans like that? The green beans I know are slender, round and slightly chewy things. These were flat and soft and damned good. How can I make beans like that?

My Tennessee-native Grandmama calls those bush beans instead of green beans. I see them labeled Roma or bush beans in the grocery stores in deep rural Texas in the spring and summer, and they're always available in the frozen section as well. Typically you have to search a little, but check farmers markets and asian grocers for similar flat green beans. Whatever you do, don't use snow peas or sugar snaps...you won't get the right flavor or texture.

I can give you my Grandmama's recipe for them if you need it, but they cook just like regular green beans. Cook em with too much bacon and add some butter just before you serve if ya wanna do em proper.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, don't use that in an oven. My weird Croation ex used one of those on the grill outside and even that wasn't great. I can't imagine a scenario where that wouldn't end in a horrible smoking mess.

Also those pellets have spices and poo poo in them and smell super weird, if they're the same ones I'm thinking of. That smell sticking around in your drapes and furniture? Nope. That's a dumbass idea.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My friends gave me 25lbs of gorgeous grass-fed Limousin beef briskets. Problem is I hate brisket. I grew up eating it every loving week and sometimes daily if we were poor. If I have to eat any more smoked, braised, or stewed briskets I will have to consider killing myself.

Please. What the gently caress do I do with this beautiful beef? There are no limits here, I can cook literally anything with a recipe. I'm vaporlocked just googling around and flipping through books because American-centric basic recipes dominate everything.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 5, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That recipe is going to come out more like a brownie or cookie bar because you're not creaming the sugar, butter and flour. Melting the butter is going to make a batter texture, not a traditional cookie one. That said, that's what a skillet cookie is supposed to be like I think. I make that exact recipe and the texture is always like you describe.

Also yeah, 325 for 30 is low to me. I cook mine at 350 for 20-25 minutes, but honestly I think it comes out the same.

E: A regular cookie recipe is going to burn like crazy in a skillet. I don't know the science, but I know I tried it with a ranger cookie recipe and discovered a new way to make charcoal.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 1, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Another gardening question!

I think I know where my daughter got her green-fingered ability to grow seven peas. I have a chilli plant in my garden, and it has produced one chilli. One measly chilli. After months of careful tending, this is probably the most labour intense chilli ever made.

I want to eat it, but I don’t know what to do with it. Shoving it into something else to make that a spicy food seems like something I could do with a regular shop-bought chilli. What can I do with this precious one that will make it all worth it?

No, I don’t know what type of chilli it is. It’s long and green.

I grew exactly one scotch bonnet this year. A single, lovely, perfect pepper. I tossed it into a batch of pickled carrots and now I have one single, lovely, perfect pickled scotch bonnet plus a jar of mild pickled carrots. Do that. Pickle the perfect pepper.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Wait, this recipe? https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

Cause I make those and you definitely have to soak the beans. I made it without soaking and the beans ended up mostly cooked, but still tough. I also typically need to add about a cup of stock about 3/4 of the way through cooking cause my dutch oven lid is janky.

Also I've saved dry beans in other recipes by adding vegetable stock and boiling until done. They'll split and be a little grainy, but still good.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 4, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Absolutely, my friend!

How mission critical is the cheese being Swiss and provolone, in a muff? We make our own pimento cheese in house, and keep mozzarella on hand for Sunday brunch. I'm trying to keep food costs down, and people love that pimento (now that we started doing lunch, we offer a grilled cheese sandwich that's just a big ol scoop of pimento, and it sells like crazy), so does a SW Virginia-style muff omelette with our pimento cheese and a slice of mozzarella sound acceptable (if not authentic)?

Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to make tapenade, because I loving love olives.

My extremely cajun Mema made muffeletas with leftover jalapeno pimento cheese and whatever "white cheese" (mild monterey jack) that was leftover from making queso. That's my favorite meal as a kid! I think the important part of a muffaletta is the tapenade and meats. If you add an ingredient that you *know* your customers love you're doing the muffaletta a service, not detracting from it.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 1, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Anybody have some savory recipes that use sweet potatoes? I have FIFTY FOUR (54. Half a loving bushel) sweet potatoes that need to be used up quickly and I hate sweet things.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I tend to add duck fat to my confited goose because it makes it taste a bit better. Kinda knocks down the gameyness a bit and rounds it out.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Okay, so I've been making my own corn tortillas for years and years. I love em. They come out great. Lately I've been buying the store bought ones just because of time crunch and toasting them in a cast iron griddle coated with oil.

I used the storebought ones for tacos I made for some folks tonight and the tortillas themselves were not a hit because I didn't do it right. They said I'm supposed to quickly dunk them in a bowl of water before tossing them into the pan.

I have never, ever heard of this in my life - have I been missing a CRITICAL STEP to TORTILLAS this whole time?

That's one way to refresh stale corn tortillas, but it's not necessary. I prefer to just steam my tortillas in a bamboo steamer if they're older. All you're doing is rehydrating the starches so they don't get tough. But if they were fresh? I think maybe you had some tortilla snobs on hand because even days old store bought tortillas taste just fine if you toast them in a hot pan.

e: serious eats opinion: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/video-the-right-way-to-warm-corn-tortillas.html

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I would say that the biggest thing with getting your kids to “help” is having enough self control to let them do things that you wouldn’t, without jumping in to take over. My children love to cook with me, but at six and four, sometimes do things wrong, and letting them make those mistakes is important.

This might be the best advice I've ever seen.