Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

uapyro posted:

Does anyone know of any good recipes for a "pot roast" without the meat? Basically just the vegetables since the meat is hardly ever eaten in our house.

You can roast veggies super easy. Just get some stuff you like and chop it up into a pan with some olive oil and salt and pepper and maybe some cloves of garlic if you like it. Put it in a 350 degree oven and check it after 20-30 minutes. Add a little time if you feel like the veggies need it. Things like celery and onion will be roasted before root veggies like potatoes and carrots and parsnips, and the size of the chunks will make a difference. But really, you can season them however you like and just be sure to check up on them and find the best temp and time for the way you like things to be cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Hey dudes, I have a citrus tree out back that's hardy enough to grow in northeast GA (near Athens). It has long spines on the branches and produces golf ball sized fruit that starts out green and ripens to bright yellow with a little fuzz on the fruit. The fruits are full of seeds (like 15-20 seeds per fruit) and have an opaque bright yellow-orange juice that is quite tart but not as tart as, say, a common lime. Is it a bitter lemon tree? I have no idea, but I wanna do stuff with it cause it's right outside the kitchen door behind the house.

Am I gonna die if I use the juice for things? I wanna play with the flavor and color of it, but I'm not totally sure what plant it is, exactly. Any ideas? I can take pictures later if anybody needs me to, I was just thinking about it and figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can you post a picture please?

I'll take a picture in the morning, it's already pretty dim out right now. If it is bitter lemon, is there any reason I should not eat/drink it?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Okay, here are the pictures of the tree out back.
Tree with fruit on it:

Fruit in my hand:

Size of the thorns (they're sharp enough to really hurt if you're not paying attention and run into the tree at all):

Like I said, there are probably 15-20 seeds in each of those fruits and hardly any actual flesh. You get probably a tsp or two of juice out of one, and it's an opaque orangish yellow. The rind is pretty thick and has a little fuzz on it. I just want to be sure it's safe to eat before I go pick all the ripe fruits off to make fancy colored gin cocktails and mojo sauce with the juice.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm hardly an expert on this, but maybe when you pick them you'll need to give them time to ripen, as with anything potentially underripe?

Just a general idea/general suggestion.

Citrus doesn't ripen once it's been picked.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bitter orange.

Thanks! Gonna try to figure out things to do with it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Somebody give me a good recipe for braised oxtail. I looked around on google but there are so many lovely recipes and I don't think any of my good cookbooks have one in them.