Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Okay, so, my mom mixed king arthur whole wheat flour and AP together in the same tupperware and did not tell me until it was too late. I have no idea what the ratio is, but probably greater then 70% AP. Everything I've made with it so far looks and feels correct, but tastes like dust. There's like five lbs of it, I hate throwing food out, what can I make with this? I'm thinking pancakes. Maybe flatbread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just make whatever. If nothing else you can make slightly denser white bread - if it doesn't taste good, your recipe is no good.

It's been recepies I've used a lot in the past to great success with AP. Biscuts and Sweet Potato Rolls. The biscuts were a bit better because they were used as topping on a pot pie casserole we made out of leftovers, and got really moist, but still tasted weird. The rolls tasted and smelled like whole wheat barn dust. I like whole wheat stuff, but I must be doing something wrong here trying to utilize this flour.

Edit: okay, my local baker dude said 'get it wetter and leave it longer'. Sage advice for the cost of a sourdough loaf, which i ate half of at the market for lunch.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 15, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Vitamix restored my virginity and blended my first generation Droid phone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thumbtacks posted:

Quick question. I'm planning on trying to actually get in shape so I need to pay attention to what I'm actually eating. The plan is to try to stick to roughly 2000 calories or so a day, the problem is I've never really had to do any of this myself because I lived at home but now that I'm out on my own now's probably a good time to figure out what the hell I'm doing to myself. I can cook well but I have no idea how to prioritize certain foods over others so I get the appropriate amount of carbs/protein/fat/whatever. I'm not necessarily asking you guys to hash out a diet plan for me or whatever, but I'm heading to the store in a few hours and I'm wondering if there's a list of certain foods that you guys would suggest always having on hand, and maybe some suggestions about foods that even an idiot like myself can make that are good for me. Hopefully this is the right place for this.

Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Fruit. Have veg with every meal, as much as you can stand. Dont be afraid of fruit, especially now that things like citrus and pomegranate are coming into season and will be cheaper then ever. Try new veg, discover new things.

Meat is good, but small portions. Bacon is like 100 calories a slice, but if you crave it, one slice goes a long way in terms of flavor when minced on a salad.

Stay away from pre processed foods and meals in boxes. Know exactly what you put in your body. Fresh and in season is best, flash frozen is okay.

Good luck!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Help! I ate two pounds of carrots and died. Thread, why didnt you tell me to chew?!?

Carrots are health food. Eat all you want within reason. If you can eat a POUND of FOOD and not feel somewhat satisfied, you might want to talk to a doctor or something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rurutia posted:

I eat it over the course of several hours while working. I can eat a few bags, but not feel satiated enough that it'd stop me from eating dinner (not to mention I still need to eat dinner for protein).

Alrighty, so keep track of them. Do you eat them big and dirt fresh, or babied? I hate baby carrots, why the hell do we need to have our food lathed? Also, i hear they make you gay.

I would also like to follow up by mentioning, I dont eat carrots. I just dont like them, they taste kinda like lye to me. I wish I did like them, I grow some pretty good looking Dragon carrots.

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/carrot/Carrot-Dragon.html

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 17, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there anything that one can do with dried apple slices? I got a bag of mixed dried fruit, and they stuffed it right full of apple slices and I find they have the mouthfeel of styrofoam and I don't want to waste them. If nothing else, I'll probably chop them roughly and put them on oatmeal.

Dried or Freeze Dried? I happen to love both, and oatmeal is definitely a good place for them if you don't inhale them right out of the bag. I kinda like the elastic, plasticky quality of the dried ones, it's really 'toothsome' I guess you could call it. The Freeze Dried ones are legit styrofoam, but I like rehydrating them in my mouth and nomming away, or nibbling them quick and getting kinda a Pixie Stick sensation going. It's best with with a big glass of ice water.

Other applications for dried apples are cookies, cakes (it livens up any pre-packaged spice cake recipe), topping cereal or granola, throw it in under a roast chicken, turkey, or beef to catch drippings to make the best gravy or stock ever, or just stuff a bag in your pocket and munch them. That's how I always knew I was on some kind of adventure, when I had a bag of dried apple slices in my coat pocket. A whole lot could go wrong, but I wouldn't starve or go mad for at least 36 hours if I had some dried apple slices.

I've been trying to cultivate a tolerance for carrots in soups (minced small or used in making my stock) or grated on top of salads and stuff, but I still just don't like them straight. I've gotten to eating broccoli and cauliflower pretty well after a childhood of hating them, carrots are just a big stumbling point for me.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 18, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kinmik posted:

My friend is sick and I want to make her some pick-me-up food that isn't chicken soup. Something with fresh fruits?

Ugh, I'm getting over a cold, and one thing that helped my throat were Frozen Ginger Smoothie Pops. Just make a smoothie with ginger in it (not citrusy, apples and cherry flavors are best, a little bannana), and freeze 'em in ice pop forms. Or a ice cube tray with toothpicks.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ok, so my roommates brought home like a billion apples, what're some easy things to do with them that don't require a lot of extra ingredients? I'm not sure exactly what type they are, but they look a lot like Macintosh apples, green-red, and they're kinda huge. I'm thinking about making apple sharlotka, though I don't have a springform pan, would that be an issue?

Do you have an ovenproof skillet? http://allrecipes.com/recipe/german-apple-pancake/

If not, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/baked_apples/

Or, http://www.cooks.com/recipe/v04l76hh/apple-dump-cake-or-easy-cobbler.html

Or just look at this thing. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-apples.html

And, kept in a cool, dark dry place, apples keep for about 6 months if frequently checked for rotty ones (every week or so)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nicol Bolas posted:

x-posting from the bread thread, but:

I'm looking for a potato bread recipe that will work with sweet potatoes. Everything I'm coming up with is a sweet quickbread; I'm looking for a savory (regular?) bread. Anyone got one? (Will a regular potato bread recipe work?)

Explanation: I'm going from cooking Thanksgiving volume (25+ for dinner, partial potluck but mostly us handling the essentials, including turkey) to cooking Thanksgiving fancy (4 for dinner, 5 courses). One of the courses is going to be a savory sweet potato bread pudding with gruyere and caramelized onions, topped with unsweetened dried cranberries and spicy candied pecans. But I want to bake the bread myself, because I can't think of a place that makes sweet potato bread. (Not potato bread that is sweet, regular bread made with sweet potato.) Help? I'm pretty good at breads when I'm just using flour-yeast-salt-water but when you start mixing extra stuff in there I get nervous.

DO I HAVE THE THING FOR YOU.

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000000408839,00.html

Except use Salted butter, and add a tablespoon of brown sugar (dark or light, does not matter much) when blooming the yeast. You can, of course, use fresh sweet potatoes rather than canned, I have every time I made these and it turns out fantastic. You can also skip the knot thing for time's sake, just make them into balls and squish them down to about half an inch thick before the final rise. It makes 24 perfect little rolls.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Throwdown posted:

Quick question, does anyone have experience with spachcocking a turkey? To be more specific, how hard is it with a sharp chefs knife? The handles on my poultry shears broke and I really don't feel like or have the time to head out and get new ones right now or tomorrow. Excuse me if this is a really dumb question but this is probably my 3rd turkey that I have ever cooked. Also, how does it come out? Serious Eats raves about it and is where I found the instructions.

You can just hack through the bones if you're careful. It will be harder though. It helps if you stand it up on it's butt in the sink, and can get your weight behind it going down along the backbone. I do chickens all the time with a knife, but I really liked having the shears to help with getting through the pelvis. I have some pictures of mine in the thanksgiving thread.

edit: Oh, yeah, all the knives in my house are mostly crap. I have one good one I hide. So, only use a knife you don't really care about, or one made for bone chopping.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 27, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

If it doesn't smell gross, then go for it.

Yeah I had a turkey back I totally forgot about for a week and it made great stock. 8 cups from one back, that was one faaaaat turkey.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Quick question. What should I call the soup I've been making recently? It's chicken stock diluted into broth (bout a cup each), then you throw in a chopped deseeded dried chilli (seeds in for more heat), ginger slices, and crumbled dried mushroom. Let it come to a boil, take the heat off, then add chopped spinach and cooked pho noodles. Season with brown sugar and soy sauce to taste. I dont know what to call it, and 'chicken noodle soup' is a little misleading. Good lunch though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

Call it the 'too pho to add meat to it' soup.

Hehe, kinda like Ghetto Pho. Ooh, and if I add datil instead of chilli pepper, and found some Muk, it can be Ghetto Pho Datil Muk (getofadat ya mook!)

I am far too entertained by this idea.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Okay, I cant be the first person to have thought of and done this. Pulled pork sushi. With sriracha mayonaise and wasabi.

I feel like a loving GENIUS right now but I cant possibly be the only one to mix barbeque and sushi. Why on earth is this not served at every strip mall sushi joint?!

Also, my first attemp at sushi. Yay me for destroying food culture!

http://imgur.com/crZA1kB

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ketchup... on sushi... you monster. How did it taste?

No ketchup, just crock pot pulled pork mom made. It tasted amazing for bullshit sushi I made for the first time ever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anne Whateley posted:

You should look up Guy Fieri, I think you'll be very impressed by his work.

The fine tradition of stealing from and perverting things from the american immigrant populations is a tradition I follow wholeheartedly. I'm just not paying a premium for it or saying its anything but bastardry genius in my mouf im so smert om nom

\/\/ Aw. Guy ruins all my fun. Oh well! I had fun, and nobody else was hurt. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 6, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wasey posted:

I need a little help coming up with a dish to bring to an office holiday potluck. The host is serving pork ribs and oysters, another coworker is bringing potato salad, and another has dessert covered with baklava. Two people who will be there are gluten intolerant (one of them being celiac). I'm kinda lost on what to bring with the mishmash of dishes and dietary restrictions... I'm thinking a salad and it would be nice to bring something more than a bag from the grocery store. Anybody have any recipes for salads that pair with pork and are worthy of a potluck?

Roast vegetables. Get whatever root and cruciferous veg is on sale (the only constant being onions, potatoes, and broccoli/cauliflower with, again, whatever is on sale or leftover in the fridge), chop it up and put it on a baking sheet coated with olive oil. Add spices to taste, whatever you like best (I go for garlic and smoked paprika). Bake at 450 until the hardest veg on the sheet is done. Put in bowls, pinch of kosher salt, and I put Tiger Sauce on mine. This dish is very hearty and easily adjusted for dietary restrictions. Here's a good guide to follow: http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-roast-vegetables/

RE: Mushrooms

I was taught to do them with a TINY bit of oil, to fry them without crowding the pan, and not to move them around too much while cooking or else they would start loosing a lot of liquid, and that makes them way too gummy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Your Gay Uncle posted:

We just had a delicious spiral ham for Christmas dinner and I ended up getting the center bone with tons of delicious looking ham still stuck to it. Could I use this ham covered bone in lieu of a ham hock if I wanted to make baked beans?
If not, what use could I get out of the center bone? I'ved heard of collard greens cook in ham juice but have never tried it before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PEA SOUP. The only reason I ever look forward to having ham is the fact that my mom makes a killer pea soup with the leftovers.

Kinda like http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bills-green-split-pea-with-hambone-soup-79563, but use strong chicken broth (3 parts stock, 1 part water), instead of water then nix the bullion. Yonk in a bit of white wine. Serve with minced bacon and chives as garnish, I also toss on some hot sauce.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 26, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Kitchenaids are not so horrible for a beater knife. Just respect them, keep them out of drawers and lovely knife blocks. There's a knife sharpening thread somewhere here, but I'm phone posting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I cant have knives nicer then KitchenAids in my house because I absolutely don't trust anyone in my house to not ruin it. When I have my own place, I'm getting Victorinox, and just the Paring, the Santoku, and the 10.5 Chef. Maybe a nice cleaver if I end up processing a lot of chickens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Th-

That's what she said.

I don't really use the chef knife for tip-slicing, I use the fillet knife Mr. Lasers for that. Forgot to include him in the count, but he's really only used for fish and fine slicey stuff. Before you ask, I have no idea what brand he is, he's just old as balls and sharp as gently caress, but a really good bite so I'm not really too scared of using him. I love you, Mr. Lasers. Anyhoo, the Santoku's only a 7.5, and my go-to for all things slicey, the chef I use for hacking the gently caress out of things (in a respectful and delicate way to preserve the edge), and having a giant-rear end knife is pretty fun. I'll keep the 8.5 chef in mind though, as I suffer from tiny hands. But I hate paring knives. Unless I'm doing something super delicate, I've got the Santoku in hand. But I'm also probably doing it wrong, being self-taught. I dunno. I always seem to cut myself with paring knives.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 30, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

QuarkMartial posted:

If I cook a ham in the oven, can I also toss in some potatoes and carrots and stuff like one can with a turkey? Or does that turn out gross?

What kind of ham? Warning, If it's one of those wet packed spiral cut heat n eats, they give off a ton of liquid that might drown the veg. That liquid is best used for pea soup. Dryer hams would have less of a problem.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Esme posted:

I made cheese last night and meant to put the whey in the fridge to use later, but then revelries happened and it ended up getting left out all night. It smells... sort of creamy? Certainly not bad. Is it probably safe?

It's probably safe. Try a sip, if it tastes off, dump it in the garden. If it's zingy and refreshing, hooray! Whey!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

There was a "yes whey" or "no whey" joke in there somewhere

I'm phone posting, it takes too much effort to be cheesy and coherent, so you gouda pick one.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

It's why Julia Child described potatoes as a "neurotic vegetable". Sometimes, potatoes vary from the same freaking bag.

I have a neurotic cat. I wonder if she floats in a 12% brine...

How soft should I be cooking udon noodles to? I'm so used to cooking al dente italian, I start getting nervous when things go too soft. Will the noodles disintegrate? I have a cold and am making udon for breakfast tomorrow I do not care what anyone says.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I'm hosting a small game night and dinner with about 8 people attending. Based on who is coming, need recommendations for recipes that are vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free. Would paella work for that?

I was very confused as to why vegetarians would show up to your small game feast, but then I realised you were talking Carcassonne, not Quail.

On that note, serve Quail for the finest living pun ever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm clearing out my freezer to make room for another goat

And here I was building a pen for one like an idiot this morning.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pens won't keep this one in anymore. That means it's slaughter time.

Good metric.

The cream one (Rose) escapes her pasture all the time, but she's so likable and gets in almost zero trouble. The weirdest goat I've ever known. The brown one is her half-brother (Wolf). He's destined to be a lawnmower and herd companion to our lonely mini buck.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

IslamoNazi posted:

I have a much more niche question for the thread. Carp / mullet are somewhat bland fish that have a histamine reaction when distressed that can cause them to end up with a really bad / muddy flavour.

I'm guessing you mean freshwater mullet. What's keeping you from chucking it in a cooler of saltice?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

IslamoNazi posted:

Bushwalking so won't have access to ice or anything

If you gutand skin the fish (fillets are difficult on carp, and the scales are super tough) the instant you kill it, then put it imediately on the fire, you might get away with it. I'm talking less then 5-10 minutes from death to fire.

Then maybe salt liberally and roast on green sticks from a tasty hardwood tree.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

If you mean stuffed peppers like peperoni ripieni then I like breadcrumbs, persillade, anchovy, pecorino, s&p. A lot of American recipes are basically for meatloaf with a pepper wrapper, and I've never been crazy about that form of the dish.

I have always been crazy about that form of the dish. It's hearty, delicious, a good way to get kids to eat veg, and a decent way to stretch a pound of ground beef to feed 6 people. I make Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers. It helps if you grind your own meat, so you can grind together chuck, cheap short rib, and a bit of bacon. Try for a 70/30 for the stuffing (buying a nice butcher grind is also good if you don't what to bust out the grinder and are not using this recepie as a cheap way to feed people with your pound of scrap meat). Mix the meat with cooked brown rice, minced yellow onion, and seasonings (worcestershire, bit of paprika, slivers of sun tomato packed in olive oil) . Stuff into peppers. Top with cheddar and smoked gouda. Bake at 350f until peppers reach an internal temperature of 160f with a probe thermometer. Side with fries or kettle chips.

It's not fancy, but it's delish.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bananana posted:

Stuffed pumpkin sounds like a great idea. Hope the pumpkin is still good. I've had it for like... 2 and a half months. Still looks good on the outside. :shrug:

Pumpkins and similar gourds can be stored from 3 to 6 months, and even beyond, depending on the variety and storage conditions. Have you had it in a cool dry place out of sunlight?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

Hide them from your dogs. We had them on a spare counter, dog got one. Hid them in a closet upstairs. Dog got another one.

Nothing like coming home to your dog sitting on your bed eating a squash, seeds all over the drat place. Or taking your dog out for a walk, seeing their crap being 50% seeds, and then going home and playing "find the half eaten squash".

On the other hand, it's good for their digestion. Lots of fiber. It's a good treat if they like it! Just not a whole one.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The best pumpkin storage I've seen is keep it in a cardboard box in the garage, surrounded by hay or straw. Check weekly for nibbles or rot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brennanite posted:

I'm trying to make a chicken soup per my husband's family recipe. It consists of chicken, noodles, chicken broth, carrots and parsley. It is tasted like parsley-flavored water. It's gross. What should I add to make the broth have more flavor? Onions seem obvious. Should I go ahead and add celery for the full mirepoix? What about herbs?

Start by making your own chicken stock. Roast a chicken, or pick a rotisserie one up from the supermarket. Pick off the meat, roughly chop to bite size, save for later (might be dinner time or tomorrow depending when you start). Brown an onion and some celery in the bottom of a large stock pot with flavorful cooking oil or fat of your choice. Bloom spices (I like a bit of basil and rosemary) for a minute. Throw the carcass, all bones and tendony bits, and whatever skin has survived not being eaten (I find cold chicken skin, particularly on a rotisserie chicken, to be gross), and 4.5 cups of water into pot (or until carcass is covered). Add 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Bring to boil uncovered, reduce to very low simmer (only a few bubbles surfacing), cover, and allow to simmer for at least 4 hours.

Taste stock. Does it have a slick kinda fatty in a good way mouthfeel? It's done. If not, let simmer longer. Add soy sauce and worcester to taste, it wont be much. If you want, you can let the stock sit in the fridge and separate out the fat solids, but that's silly. Make broth by cutting stock with even amounts of water. Make soup as you normally would, adding the picked chicken at the very last. And maybe some garlic, that stuff's healthy. Put garlic in everything.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, ditched my chronically ill partner of three and a half years. Now the beans I made afterward were fairly well seasoned by her tears, but they were still crunchier than I would prefer. I soaked them overnight, from about 5:30 pm to past noon the next day, and I cooked the beans for 4 hours in chicken broth. What did I do wrong? I'm reading some people saying not to salt the beans, which I did, but others say salt is fine.

Yeah, human salt dosnt work as well. What kind of beans did you use? If you used cheap coffee, tears actually work to negate bitterness.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made a cast iron deep dish pizza. Am I pizza evil now?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

jon joe posted:

What's your favorite little-to-no prep time healthy snack?

It's orange season, eat oranges. You can also broil grapefruit if you want to get fancy, just do it with only half a teaspoon of unrefined sugar rather than the often recommended 3 of lite brown.

When I crave savory, I have a thin piece of pancetta and chew on it for awhile. Steak flavored gum!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Invisible Ted posted:

What are you guys' staple breakfasts/weeknight dinners? I've gotten tired of over easy/scrambled eggs, toast and oatmeal. Dinners are usually a variation of rice, beans and chicken if not just the same breakfast food again. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and want to get out of this food rut, preferably with meals that are nutritious (low-fat isn't necessary) and either quick to make or easy to prepare ahead.

Soups I make ahead from scratch, like pea, chicken stock, or tomato. Salads, but like, GOOD salad, my favorite is spinach, toasted pecan (a few minutes in the toaster is all you need) and bacon (stuff i made and froze), splash of vinagrette. You can also make quesadillas, quiche (or fritatta), and qpaninni things on a weekend or slow weekday and freeze them.

I dunno, what do you like? How willing are you to use an oven?