Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

spankmeister posted:

I have come in posession of a large (for me) number of eggs. Anyone have any good egg recipes so I can get rid of these without eating breakfast for three meals a day this weekend?

Fresh egg pasta is amazingly great and eats up eggs like nobody's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fruits of the sea posted:

Do you have a link? Although the way you say it, I'm not sure it's a good idea..

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/vegetables-wellington-the-ultimate-plant-based-vegan-holiday-roast-recipe.html

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bartlebee posted:

Bought a pasta roller in preparation for making pumpkin sage ravioli for the li'l lady for Valentine's. This'll be my first time making fresh pasta from dough. I read up on the Serious Eats in-depth tutorial and I'm reading through their ravioli-specific walkthrough. I've seen some fresh pasta posts around here. Any firsthand tips or advice? I'm doing my first practice run Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks, Something Offal.

Being bad at cooking and therefore unable to gauge proper ratio by eye or feel, I follow the serious eats recipe but I crack the eggs first and weigh them, then divide that weight by 0.65 to get how much flour I should use. It's more precise than "2 eggs, 4 yolks and 10 oz of flour" and I haven't had problems with sticky or dry dough since I started doing it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a good way to reheat fresh egg pasta? It'd be really convenient to just roll out and cook a mess of pasta and then reheat it somehow in the work microwave.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I often find myself feeling inadequate while I'm at home, alone, hand-pulling.

Does anyone know how to make these weird Romanian circle bread things?

I would imagine you just wrap dough around a Thing and bake it, then remove Thing once baking is done?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chicken backs are top tier stock material

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I woulda said toasted almond flakes but I guess you already made your decision.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

franco posted:

Can't help with the bread, but I made this soup recently and it was bloody incredible (apologies for the standard-issue irritating blog waffle).

I will make this soup and I will eat this soup

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Stuff it in your face by itself like an animal, it's what I'd do

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I put everything of a chicken that doesn't go directly into my mouth directly into the stockpot instead. I hope that's the right way to go about things.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

I come from a fairly cautious family which basically didn't re-heat food at all so I'm assuming my stomach can't really handle something like this.

If it bothers you that much ask the mom to fridge it in between reheatings.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hey guys, I'm looking for something to make and carry with me while I'm having fun with other insufferable nerds away from home for several days. Here's some criteria:

- I need to be able to make a while in advance and have it last for a couple days after, i.e. make on Thursday night last till Sunday night.
- Needs to fit in a tupperware or other food container and keep at room temp for that time.
- Finger food, or otherwise easy to eat with just a simple spoon or fork.
- Preferably not too heavy fare.
- Shareable would be nice, but not a requirement.

I feel like there's something really easy that fits all of that that I'm forgetting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In my head gumbo is one of those dishes where you just toss in anything you have lying around and it turns out loving awesome anyway

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Can someone explain the cold pasta hydration stuff talked about in this article?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-start-pasta-in-cold-water.html

As far as I can tell, you have to soak your pasta for an unspecified but no doubt pretty long amount of time, and then it still hasn't cooked at all so you still have to finish it in the sauce for as long as or longer than you would have boiled it anyway. What's the upside? Kenji's single reply wasn't very illuminating.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

But in the comments he says you have to finish it in the sauce as long as if not longer than you would have boiled it so instead of having the pasta cook while you make the sauce and then giving it a quick finish, you're standing there for 8~12 minutes stirring pasta around in sauce. I guess it's just that you don't need to use a stove spot for pasta?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I have bag of Misc Seafood parts that I'd like to use nd get out of the freezer. Any suggestions?

I thought about chopping it up real fine, and making like, seafood biscuits?
or a gumbo, but dang if I can't find any recipes I like.

Jambalaya

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

I have this cooker:

http://amzn.com/B0073GIN08

I'm not really sure what question to ask. We use it as a slow cooker for pot roasts.

On low, a 1 lb chuck roast comes up to temp within 2 hours, and the liquid boils rapidly. Is this really low and slow enough? I know it's a small roast, but I have the same issue with larger roasts seeming to be overdone on the low setting.

People say to cook stuff for 8-10 hours sometimes? I think this thing would nuke them by then.

The meat tends to be ok, maybe a bit dry. Where are we going wrong?

Ok, I know what I'm asking. How the gently caress do I make pot roast in this thing? Or should I donate/recycle it?

According to a very quick google search, a pressure cooker will have a pot roast done in half an hour.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I haven't had a reaper but the ghost peppers I've had have had a really distinctive taste that I quite liked. I'm bad at describing flavors so it doesn't really help but yeah, it's definitely got a taste outside of just "hot."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

girl pants posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back a few pages and didn't see it. This has been driving me crazy. Many recipes (for pancakes, etc) say to make a well in the flour and pour in the wet ingredients. Why do this? They all end up mixed together anyway, right?

afaik it's so that the wet bits don't go oozing all over the counter/cutting board. If you're mixing in a bowl then just dump all that poo poo in.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Naah, they're probably fine. Now dont do what I did and go pick your nose after handling dried chilies! That was an afternoon to remember!

More importantly don't go to take a piss

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

If I left rice in the rice cooker overnight is it safe to eat

Is this a trick question

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

How long does it take for pasta water to become "starchy"? I've been cooking my fresh pasta for 30 seconds in boiling water and then moving to the sauce to finish, but I'm wondering if that's actually enough time to make a difference to the water.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone have a really good vodka sauce recipe? I've been using this one and I love it but I'd love to try other good ones.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shrimp scampi, shrimp gumbo, shrimp fajitas. You could probably watch that scene from Forrest Gump for more inspiration if you needed it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

According to http://www.yamamotofoods.co.jp/wasabi you can grind it, spread it in a thin layer on plastic wrap and then freeze. Pound lightly with the back of a knife and add a dash of sugar before serving to make it spicier (I haven't tried this, that's just what it says).

Another thing on the internet says that once you take it out of the freezer you have to use it. Refreezing it kills the taste almost entirely.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Another goon and I have each made kenji's recipe and found it incredible: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

This was just eh for me. Maybe I messed something up because I never got a crust, and the chicken and sausage were overcooked at the end of the suggested cooking time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lawnie posted:

The gelatin is key to the crust, so if you didn't use that then it's a must, unless you're using homemade stock that practically turns to jelly in the fridge. I didn't notice any overcooking, but the depth and intensity of flavor in the gravy/broth/whatever that mushy, creamy bean liquid is outshined the flavor of the chicken to me, anyway.

I try not to judge a recipe after just one attempt, but the effort involved in this one could be very discouraging. I hope you try it again! Another tip for the crust formation, I suppose: keep the oven shut as much as possible. Don't check on it for longer than suggested if you're having trouble getting a crust.

I did use gelatin. I have newly made homemade stock in the freezer that is very very thick though, so maybe I'll give it another try. I agree that the effort messes with me a lot especially since my dutch oven's seasoning got hosed up hardcore by the cassoulet last time I made it and I had to do it over.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pasta plopped on a plate straight from the colander with a single big-rear end splotch of sauce on top is pretty much the worst way to eat pasta

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm still alive and I've eaten single pot foods from the fridge for way way longer than that

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Has anyone tried these cookies?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

I gave them a try the other day and when I made them per the instructions they basically became super flat (and tasty, granted) pancakes. Comments say to raise the temp but even with a 375 oven things weren't great. Wondering if you guys had any advice for my second batch sitting in the fridge right now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jan posted:

How flat are you talking about? Literal pancakes, or is that hyperbole?

I have found that the recipe does give fairly flat cookies compared to others (i.e.: New York Times'), but this is basically what I want. I just make them slightly smaller than described and give them enough space to spread.

So, in other words, do a completely different recipe? :confused:

My cookies at 325 came out about the thickness of my smartphone, so thinner than most pancakes I've seen. Also they don't have a nice round edge but instead basically slope down at an acute angle right until they touch the baking sheet. I have a rimless and rimmed baking sheet and neither seems to make much difference.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm one of the commenters who said to raise your oven temp 25°. Without knowing anything about your oven I'd try 400 in your case.

Have you ever tested your oven to see if it reaches the temperatures it indicates it's at?

I don't have an oven thermometer so no. I'm just now dipping my toes into baking things, should I get one?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay so I refridged the dough after scooping the balls and also fridged the trays and they came out much more cookie-shaped this time. Might cut the amount of chocolate in half next time I bake. Thanks for the advice, guys.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Going back to a few days ago: I bought an oven thermometer and my oven is apparently perpetually 25 to 50 degrees below what it says it is holy poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The lentil stew is some seriously good poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a particularly good lobster bisque recipe out there or will pretty much any one do?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

People eat kimchi for reasons other than "it tastes good"?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A silly question, but if I have my heart set on making bolognese sauce for a potluck and don't have a pot+flame to make pasta to go with it, what's another foodstuff that can stay in a tupperware for a while and not be overwhelmed by bolognese?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Breaded oven-baked eggplant? You don't need a stovetop or a pot for that.
When you say "a while" how long are you talking? Baked eggplant will keep for a few days in the fridge.

No I mean I just need it to stay good and not gross even if it's not literally straight out of the oven/off the stove. I would be making it the night before.

I have never polenta'd but I might give it a shot. Eggplant sounds good as hell too though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I sauteed some shishito peppers today and to a one they turned out with a really unpleasantly bitter aftertaste. Is that how they're supposed to be, or did I grievously gently caress things up? I just did them in vegetable oil for about ten minutes until they looked done and sprinkled them with salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

As long as your carbonara has pork, pasta, egg and cheese in it in some ratio it's gonna be hella good