Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You can get a cheap non-stick pan for super cheap. Don't think of it as a long term investment. Treat it nice, but don't feel bad when you toss it out in 6 months or a year to get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

I'm going to try to do a prime rib soon. Anyone have any tips or advice besides let it stand 24 hours?

I'm talking a 10 lb monster for a party.

When I do prime rib, I let it stand even longer than 24 hours. Like, I hack together some kind of draining rig and stash that thing in my fridge for about a week. Make sure to keep it dry! Afterward, there might be some funky looking patches. It's fine, just cut those off. You don't have to go overboard like that, but the longer you age it, the better it will be.

When it comes time to cook, roast first, sear last. If it's not a uniform thickness down the whole thing, use some twine to even it out. Use a probe thermometer that you have tested and know works. There's no visual cue to know when the roasting is done, you HAVE to use a thermometer or else you're just guessing.

Season the meat liberally before it goes in. You'll want to put more flavor on it than you think you need. Salt, in particular, should get a good dusting over the entire surface. There's chemical magic going on there.

Give yourself plenty of time to cook it. 10 lbs will take a long time. On the other hand, if the meat does finish early, it'll sit and rest wrapped in foil just fine while you get ready for it. So err in cooking it too early rather than too late.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

What seasoning do you recommend?

That's up to you! Anything that goes with beef will work just fine. I like to go simple; some black pepper, maybe some rosemary. Maybe slip some garlic into the fat.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you want the roasting to be low and slow for even cooking. Like, 200F or less. Yes, it'll take forever, but it's worth it! Finish it with a sear on crazy high heat, or under the broiler if you don't have a pan that can handle it, for just barely long enough to get a nice crust on there. The longer you sear, the more moisture you lose, so be careful here.

And yes, anyone that says not to put salt on a hunk of a meat before it goes in the heat is just loving wrong.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

pile of brown posted:

-cook it to MR and leave the oven on for complainers who "dont like pink meat" to throw their slices back in

loving whiners. There's always people that look at your perfectly cooked, succulent, tender, expensive prime rib, and say 'Could you please loving ruin that for me? I only eat leather. No thanks I won't actually try it the right way first.'

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My man Kenji talks about the importance of resting your meat. Hurr hurr hurr.

Apparently the exact science of what's going on is a little different than 'the meat reabsorbs juice as it rests' but the results are what matter. The Modernist Cuisine guys say that the juice is becoming more viscous as it cools, so it stays in place better. Whatever.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Yup, just be patient, keep it on medium or med-low heat and flip often and you will get delicious bacon perfection!

My rule for pan-frying bacon: If you need to put on pants, you have the heat too high.
Doing it in the oven is also super convenient, especially if you're doing a large batch. I think there's a Good Eats episode about that.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

So hot grits is basically runny polenta? Would be interested in trying out some cajun dishes, but not sure if I can buy grits over here.

The difference between grits and polenta is mostly in how finely ground the corn meal is. Also, grits is often made with white corn meal, polenta rarely is. But the actual process is pretty similar.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Boz0r posted:

I want to make this recipe http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pasta_with_Hot_Sausage,_Zucchini_and_Mushrooms
But I live in Denmark, and can't get that kind of sausage. Can I make some kind of spice mix to imitate the taste, and what should I use? (I don't know too much about cooking)

The spices in hot italian sausage are basically fennel seeds and red pepper flakes. You can just use regular ground pork mixed with a little bit of red pepper flakes, fennel, minced garlic or garlic powder, and black pepper. If you can't find red pepper flakes, just skip it, no big deal. Or substitute any other hot spice you want.

Really, any kind of fresh sausage would work fine in that recipe. Medisterpølse would probably be pretty delicious.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I don't know what recipe you're using, but I'm willing to wager that using Violet Crumble would be loving delicious.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Cooking salmon isn't like cooking tuna, really. Tuna cooks more like red meat, but salmon very much needs to be cooked like fish. You want to cook salmon more evenly. Going for a nice even sear on a salmon steak is just going to get you overcooked or unevenly cooked fish inside.

A skin-on salmon fillet, on the other hand... Serious Eats food lab has you covered here. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Between Ramsey's recipe and the serious eats article you're probably set.

Also, if you'd like to try a wellington at a more reasonable cost, pork tenderloin is pretty damned reasonable and crazy delicious.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The man pronounces fillet correctly, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

mascaria posted:

I've been trying to make candy at home because apparently I hate being able to do things well and one of the things that I can't make happen is hard candy because everything seems to burn right after soft crack. Is it my stove top (electric)? My pot (3.2q stainless steel T-fal sauce pan)? Me?

Electric stovetops suck, but you can still do it, you just have to be more careful.

Your pot should be as heavy as possible. A thick stainless steel dutch oven would be ideal. You need the pot to retain as much heat as possible, so you're less affected by the electric burner's uneven heat.

Get a good candy thermometer. I prefer digital, because mercury thermometers usually top out around 400F and analogue metal thermometers are almost always crap. An instant read thermometer is best, because it doesn't have to stay clipped in place where it will get in the way of stirring.

Manage your heat. The closer you get to your target temperature, the slower you want to get there, so don't be afraid to turn the heat way down before your goal.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

criscodisco posted:

Now that sounds like a plan! Have a pound of mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to get eaten, plus some sausage I can mix in. Would topping with a little bread crumbs or panko be a good or bad idea?

Melt a little butter, stir it into the panko, and mash it right on top.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

synapseattack posted:

Ok, so I got a nice big 16" Wok for Christmas and I really want to learn to cook something in it.

First thing you should get is a bamboo steamer. Your ability to make good stir fry will depend on how hot you can get your wok, but you can stick a steamer in there and get perfect results no matter how lovely your stovetop is.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Simplest bachelor chow casserole:
Cooked pasta (Any kind. I like shells.)
Cooked meat. (Any kind. When I'm broke, I use canned tuna. Ground beef is great. If you do chicken, make sure not to overcook it.)
Sauce. (I like to make a mushroom bechamel. Spaghetti sauce/marinara works fine. If you're really pressed, just dump in a can or two of condensed cream of whatever soup.)
Veggies. (Any kind. I just dump in a bag of frozen mixed veggies.)

Stir everything together in a baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese or breadcrumbs or crumbled potato chips or whatever on top. Bake until heated through and the topping is as toasted as you like.

Obviously, this isn't so much a recipe as a template. Use whatever you've got laying around, add whatever spices and seasoning you like.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Oski posted:

Chorizo isn't hard to find in England. If you have a Deli near by they will almost certainly have some and if not try a reasonably sized Tesco or similar. The deli counters in supermarkets tend to have 5 or 6 different large chorizos and you can ask them to just cut you off a chunk rather than thinly slice it (though they may look at you funny). It's also much much cheaper to buy it like that.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but there are two different kinds of chorizo, and they're really very different. Spanish chorizo is a solid sausage, a lot like linguica. Mexican chorizo is very different. It's a loose sausage in a casing and is uncooked and uncured when you buy it, and is used more like mince. They're not really interchangeable in recipes, in my opinion.

I have no idea how available mexican (or carribean, which is pretty similar) chorizo is in England.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It's the same as basting a roasted chicken or whatever? That I'm familiar with, but the pan confused me.

It also helps cook faster and more evenly. You're getting the hot fat all over the food, instead of just where it's sitting in the pan. It works wonders on a steak.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

So I took a stab at white sausage gravy and it came out great in terms of flavor, exactly what I was looking for. However, the gravy was more brown instead of white. I assume this is because I cooked the roux too long? I probably exacerbated the problem by adding a little more rendered fat into the gravy after mixing in all the milk. Any tips on preventing this from happening?

Don't worry about it. That brown color is FLAVOR.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

xcdude24 posted:

Quick grilling question:

I grilled some hanger steak tonight, and although I got the inside just about perfectly medium rare, the outside wasn't seared as well as I prefer. I marinaded the steak (approximately 2 pounds) for about three hours in a mix of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons), salt (maybe a teaspoon), pepper, garlic, shallots, and fresh parsley. I lit an entire chimney of coals, and banked them all to one side of the grill. I preheated the grill before I threw on the steaks, which I grilled for about four minutes per side. Again, the inside was cooked fine, but the outside wasn't to my liking. My theory is that i'm not patting down the marinade dry enough before grilling. My mom begs to differ, claiming that patting it down will suck out all the marinade flavor.

You've got the right idea, pat that sucker dry before you throw it on the grill. You don't need to go for bone dry, but you don't want it dripping wet, either.

Go ahead and turn the steak more often. You don't need to do the 'Only flip once' thing unless you've got a million steaks on the grill to keep track of, or else you really really care about pretty char marks. Don't give a poo poo about pretty char marks. Flip it every minute or so and you'll cook and char more evenly.

When the steak's cooked, stick it back into a foil pouch with some leftover marinade. Let it reabsorb that flavor as it rests. Soak it all up. That is the time for flavor country.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Saint Darwin posted:

I really hope he meant "marinade you didn't actually put on the steak."

Yes, exactly.

It doesn't steam the steak unless you're resting your steak on the heat like an idiot. When meat is resting, first it squeezes out some more juice, then it draws some back in as it relaxes and the juices thicken and/or whatever science stuff the modernist cuisine guys say these days. You just want a splash in there, comparable to the amount of meatjuice that you normally see from a rest.

And for all the 'don't marinate steak', it all depends on the steak. Hanger steak goes great either way.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, just to be clear, everyone's aware that no one's suggesting that you soak a T-bone in A1 sauce before throwing it on the grill, right? And that there's a difference between 'a steak' and 'steak'? We're talking things like hanger steak and skirt steak here. Hanger's a cut that can go either way, but I think skirt is always better after it's had an acid treatment. And after a childhood eating flavorless london broils, I won't touch flank steak that hasn't been marinated.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Also, deep dish is awesome. If you have a good cast iron pan, make some deep dish pizza.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The absolute easiest way to cook rice is to cook it like pasta. Put the rice in with way too much water. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce the heat so it's not boiling over, and cook for 12 minutes. Start tasting the rice, it might take a few more minutes. When the rice is done, dump the whole thing into a wire sieve to strain it. Done.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

I see that there. posted:

Who here has an electric range and oven?
In said oven, who here lifts that bottom coil and lines the bottom with heavy duty aluminum foil?

Should I be doing this?

It's not really a great idea. A properly made oven is engineered to keep reflecting heat back at the food evenly, a lining of foil can mess with that. There's also a small, but non-zero, chance of heat damaging your oven.

It's better to just keep a drip guard on the rack and under the dish if you're cooking something messy, and clean regularly so gunk doesn't have a chance to get permanent.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

I see that there. posted:

If I've got a drip guard on the rack under the dish, can you explain in what way that doesn't affect heat reflection as much as, if not more so than putting foil under the coil at the bottom?

Foil under the coil messes with the reflective property of the entire floor of the oven. On the other hand, a cake sheet under your casserole is basically right there where all the heat is getting reflected anyway; it's going to block some of the heat to the bottom of the dish, sure, but overall the oven heats more evenly.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Brown is a totally normal oxidation reaction, and harmless. Supermarket meat is usually packed with carbon monoxide displacing the air to prevent oxidation and keep it unnaturally bright red. Butchers generally don't bother.

Smell the meat. If it's bad, you'll be able to tell. (it's not bad.)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So long as they haven't gone rotten, which is easy enough to check, there's no problem.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There are enzymes in the body cavity that start to gunk up the meat basically as soon as the lobster dies. I would take the lobster apart immediately, and maybe partially steam it now and finish cooking it closer to mealtime. Serious Eats recommends steaming slightly then roasting anyway, so that might be your best bet.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Bacon...maybe. The whole bacon thing really came from reading this : http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/07/ultimate-bacon-cheeseburger-food-lab.html but I'm not so sure it'll be very good in this setting.

Make up a batch of bacon, and enjoy some bacon, avocado, and tomato sandwiches while you wait for the shooter sandwiches to squish.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you do peel before you cook, save the shells. They're full of flavor. Use them in whatever sauce you're making, or freeze them for later.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I keep one non-stick pan that I mostly just use for eggs. I got the cheapest pan they had at the store, and the moment it doesn't feel as non-stick as I want it to be, I'll toss it out and get a new cheapest pan without a hint of regret.

I hate expensive non-stick pans. At that price, you feel like you should be using them for everything (when they're usually not the right pan for the job) and then that overuse makes the coating wear off or scratch, and then it's not non-stick anymore and ugh, just gently caress it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Red lentils are kind of naturally mushy. I think they're best for recipes that are saucy, like dal, or just straight up make a soup of 'em. That way you don't need to worry about too much liquid. If you want something that'll hold its shape better as a standalone dish, you want green or brown lentils.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Eeyo posted:

Maybe they were a tougher variety? Or less refined since it was years and years ago, so less cooking is necessary for our more commercially produced produce.

I've got some veggie questions, too! I bought some frozen brussels sprouts. Can I do anything other than boil them or nuke them (normally I would want to roast them, but they're frozen). Are they at all as good as fresh ones?

I steam brussels sprouts from frozen all the time, it works fine. Steam until just barely tender, then roll them around in a small pat of butter and a good squirt of sriracha. Good times, good times.

Or like everyone says, just roast them. Last time I roasted a chicken, I tossed some halved frozen sprouts under the spatchcocked bird and it was great.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Tempura brussels sprouts are the best.

So are quick-pickled sprouts.

Also shredded up and sauteed briefly in butter and olive oil, with a bit of lemon juice and maybe some pine nuts. That's also the best.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Gravity's suggestions are all awesome. And he's right, the less you cook them, the better. When sprouts get too soft, the flavor compounds are generally turning to poo poo.

I also really like this guy's recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-VM7jYmVQ It's pretty basic, so you can mess with it all you want, but the point is that it's a great way to become familiar with the flavors of sprouts that aren't 'sour' and 'sulphury'.

Honestly, though, when I'm feeling super lazy, I love to just steam some frozen whole sprouts until I can just get a fork in them, then roll them around in a smidge of butter and some sriracha. I think I might go do that right now.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've had good results with the Serious Eats method. It's kind of a lot of work, but you can prep a whole bunch ahead of time, freeze it all, and then only fry up what you plan on eating later.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Dried apricots are super handy to have on hand when cooking pork.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yes. Or just shrug and don't bother with butter at all. It'll still toast up fine, it just won't be buttery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like to mix turnips in with mashed potatoes. I cut the nips up smaller than the potatoes, because I'm too lazy to parcook the turnips and then add the potatoes partway through.