Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Escarole, what do i do with it?

I tried pan saute with some garlic and then parmesan cheese, but I was pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't terrible but it was just kind of bitter and eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I bought this at the asian grocery store.

Can anyone clue me in as to what its called so I can google some recipes?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's a kohlrabi. Good as slaw, nice sliced and simmered with sauce on top for serving, and makes a great cream soup.

Thank you! Quick googling suggests they have a flavor sorta like radishes, (which I really enjoy), so I'll probably try the slaw suggestion and go from there.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Is there a good recipe for non-spicy chicken curry? I've never made it before, but I'd like to give it a shot.

I like this one for a hearty mild curry.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

But do you have toasted ravioli? :smugbert:

In Philly and Boston at a minimum.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

sterster posted:

How long is refrigerated, marinated flank steak good for. Monday we made fajitas and only used half. Was planning on making nachos or something but now it's Friday and I'm questioning if the meat is still good. It's in an acidic lime and pineapple marinade and has been in the fridge for the whole time. My guess is it's fine but super tenderized from all the pineapple enzymes.

Please share this marinade.

Pretty sure the flank steak will be fine.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Tonight I'm cooking my favorite semi-junk food, big batches of oven roasted chicken thighs covered in peanut butter and panko bread crumbs. What's a good vegetable to pair with that?

Homemade fries.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Thanksgiving is approaching. Sort of. This year I am determined to wrest control of the turkey cooking from my parents, because they don't do a very good job of it. So this begs the question, how do you cook a turkey in the oven and not have it come out terribly dry?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Thank you all for the turkey advice!

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheesesteaks suck. Italian beef is so much better.

Buffalo Chicken cheesesteaks are where it's at, and the single thing I miss most from Philly.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I have a nice cast iron pan I got for Christmas last year. I've used it in the oven to make things like skillet cookies to good effect. However, whenever I try to use it on the range, it smokes like crazy, and inevitably sets off the fire alarm. What am I doing wrong? Heat too high? Something wrong with how the pan is seasoned?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

What's the best way to cook broccoli? All I can find googling around is "roast it with lemon and garlic" and while that's fine, I'd like to do something slightly more creative

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Frying tofu sucks

Tips?

Buy firm or extra firm tofu.

Press your tofu. Take it out of the packaging, place it on a baking sheet, put paper towel under it, and a paper towel over it, then place a cast iron pan on top.

Wait 30mins.

Take your tofu, now a lot less wet. Put on cutting board. Cut into small cubes

Toss with cornstarch, I suggest about 3 tbsp but adjust it based on how much tofu you have. Make sure the tofu is mostly covered.

In a pan, over medium heat, add about 2 tbsp oil, wait until it splutters if you splash water in it. Add tofu without crowding the pan. Do it in batches if you need to. Keep an eye on it. Flip the cubes so they get evenly browned. Add more oil if needed.

As the tofu finishes, take it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and onto a plate with a paper towel to absorb oil.

Then make whatever you're making that requires tofu and add the tofu basically at the end.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

do you add anything for flavor before or does it just soak it up later

Depends on what you're doing: If you're making a flavorful stir-fry like something with a teriyaki or a peanut sauce, then you don't marinade, and let the tofu get covered in whatever delicious sauce. Tofu cubes are basically little flavor sponges that add texture and protein.

If you're doing something like sautéed veggies + tofu, you can marinate them up to about 24 hours in advance. (You can do as little as 15 mins, but I really recommend marinating a little longer). Tofu is, as previously mentioned, a flavor sponge, so you can marinate in whatever you want. I like soy sauce + apple cider vinegar + a little maple syrup + random spices. But basically any combination of a bit of salty + acid + some spices will yield a relatively nice marinade. Tofu is very forgiving, so feel free to experiment. I used to keep a small bag of pre diced, pre marinated tofu in the fridge for quick stirfries.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for this! I get the firm stuff costco has. Still worth pressing/draining? I could substitute cornstarch with flour...?
Yeah, press it, it makes a huge difference. Not sure on cornstarch vs four, but you can skip the cornstarch and still get a relatively crispy tofu

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can I ask a total amateur question? At what point in the cooking process in consideration with adding cooking oils etc are you adding all the seasoning or sauces for flavor? More of a general question tbh. I'm sure there's some varying answers depending on what it is.

For stirfry generally my process is:

Prep all your veggies, pre-fry your tofu.

Heat oil till its nice and hot.

If you're using onions, add them now, and cook until they start to get translucent, but not brown.

Add your aromatics, ginger, garlic, any spices you want to "bloom" or develop flavors for. Wait for 30 seconds, or until you can really smell them. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn or everything will be terrible.

Add your harder veggies, those with longer cook times, carrots, onions, etc. Cook until you're happy with them. (Carrots are fork tender, you like the firmness of the pepper) Your onion should be nice and soft too.

Add the quicker cooking ingredients, mushrooms, green veggies you just want to wilt.

Add your tofu or cooked meat of choice

Once those are ready, add your sauce ingredients, soy sauce, peanut sauce, thai chili sauce, what have you. Let them cook for a little bit until they're reduced, and everything is nice and coated.

During the whole process, keep tasting stuff to make sure its cooked to the consistency you want.

Stirfrys are very forgiving, you can throw whatever veggies you want. The important thing is: onions first, aromatics next, veggies, mixins, sauce.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for this! I get the firm stuff costco has. Still worth pressing/draining? I could substitute cornstarch with flour...?
Yeah, press it, it makes a huge difference. Not sure on cornstarch vs four, but you can skip the cornstarch and still get a relatively crispy tofu

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can I ask a total amateur question? At what point in the cooking process in consideration with adding cooking oils etc are you adding all the seasoning or sauces for flavor? More of a general question tbh. I'm sure there's some varying answers depending on what it is.

For stirfry generally my process is:

Prep all your veggies, pre-fry your tofu.

Heat oil till its nice and hot.

If you're using onions, add them now, and cook until they start to get translucent, but not brown.

Add your aromatics, ginger, garlic, any spices you want to "bloom" or develop flavors for. Wait for 30 seconds, or until you can really smell them. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn or everything will be terrible.

Add your harder veggies, those with longer cook times, carrots, peppers, etc. Cook until you're happy with them. (Carrots are fork tender, you like the firmness of the pepper) Your onion should be nice and soft too.

Add the quicker cooking ingredients, mushrooms, green veggies you just want to wilt.

Add your tofu or cooked meat of choice

Once those are ready, add your sauce ingredients, soy sauce, peanut sauce, thai chili sauce, what have you. Let them cook for a little bit until they're reduced, and everything is nice and coated.

During the whole process, keep tasting stuff to make sure its cooked to the consistency you want.

Stirfrys are very forgiving, you can throw whatever veggies you want. The important thing is: onions first, aromatics next, veggies, mixins, sauce.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 24, 2019

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Weltlich posted:

You can also use a waffle iron if you don't want to deal with frying them.

I call them fawaffels and they're the bomb.

I did this, and it was brilliant. Not the prettiest, but delicious.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

That Works posted:

I get Red Boat like a gallon at a time from Amazon. They sell smaller sizes too.

I second Red Boat

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

On a whim, I bought a whole duck. What is the best way for me to prepare it? I was thinking sous-vide confit the legs and do something else with the breasts, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Related, can someone point me at how to break down the duck into breasts and legs? I don't want to totally ruin it.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Definitely this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX1G-EASnM

Orange Duck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ua-qSqHMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thu0Pqewbbo

Duck is delicious, and actually not that hard to work with at all. We should all be eating more duck.

I made both of these and they were awesome. Thanks for the help!

prayer group posted:

And then reserve the carcass, make a nice aromatic duck stock, and make some ramen or something with it.

I'm doing this later this week

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone have a recipe or two that use spanish chorizo? i bought some nice stuff at costco and dont know what to do with it

A potato hash with chorizo and an egg on top is about one of the best breakfasts that exists.

I just bought a whole rabbit. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any suggestions on what I should be making?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so I've been hearing a lot about the instant pot lately. Is it as good as people say? How annoying is the cleanup?

Its good, but it hasn't revolutionized my life like all the recipe bloggers promised. Great for beans and curries. Cleanup is about on par with a ricecooker, it has an insert that needs to be washed, but it goes in the dishwasher fine.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

As part of the CSA I'm a member of I'm getting so much zucchini and summer squash. We've had it on pizza, we've sautéed it with balsamic vinegar, we've put it on pizza and served it with pasta, we've made zucchini bread, and put it in red curry... what are some interesting things I could do with zucchini that I haven't tried yet?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I have a bunch of eggplant in my fridge, anyone have any non-eggplant parm recipes I should try? I'm going to attempt baba ganoush, but I'd love any further suggestions, since we're basically going to be eating eggplant for the next week or so.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Am I a monster if I try to cook brussel sprouts in a pan on the stove? My oven isn't entirely reliable and I have some sprouts I need to cook soon, but I've only ever heard of people oven-roasting them.

I've made these: https://iheartumami.com/stir-fried-thai-brussels-sprouts/

If your goal is just to use them up with minimum fuss, there's also this slaw: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I have a whole chicken, I'd like to do something more interesting than throwing it in the oven and roasting it.

I'm tempted to make chicken salad, but its kind of cold for that.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!