Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Do they still make electric skillets without non-stick coatings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's a good thing to do with canned salmon?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MrSlam posted:

If you want to be super lazy like me, add dill, lemon juice, and mayo, mash it all up with a fork, and eat it on crackers.

But there's probably far tastier things you could do with it

Well I'm an absolute noob at preparing food so that already sounds way better than anything I could come up with.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What does it mean to "sort" beans? I've got a bag of all the same kind of bean but it still says to do that. Also what's the most efficient way to rinse them?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That Works posted:

Look for blackened / dead ones and any small sticks / rocks / dried husk or plant material in them?

Holy poo poo that sounds like a lot of work. Maybe dry beans aren't worth it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Where the gently caress did this recipe find vegetable broth for $0.26/2 cups?

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/01/cheesy-vegetarian-chili-mac/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a common product anywhere that's half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride? I could swear I had some one time and it was called something like "potassium salt" but now I can't find it anywhere. I mean if it comes down to it I can just combine it myself but it'd be convenient to buy it already mixed.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ulmont posted:

Morton's "Lite Salt" and similar products.
https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Lite-Salt-Sodium-Table/dp/B0005YM0UY

The UK version - LoSalt - is 2/3 potassium chloride and 1/3 sodium chloride.
http://www.losalt.com/us/product/introducing-losalt/

baquerd posted:

Morton lite salt is half salt, and Morton salt alternative is no salt.

Thanks, Morton lite is exactly what I was looking for. It even has trace magnesium and calcium as a bonus.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a secret to making refried beans? Mine always come out of kind of bland, lumpy and underwhelming.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's good seasoning/accompaniment for black-eyed peas? Vegetarian.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bragg's/Maggi for starters. Also lots of onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, etc.

What are Bragg's/Maggi?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the advantage of bragg's over soy sauce? :confused:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'm getting Maggi's because it doesn't have any soy. And apparently you want to get the kind in the red caps, not the yellow caps which are made out of boiled sewage in lead-lined bottles by child slaves.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I've got some special frozen sausages that I want to cook in a way that preserves as much of the flavor and juice as possible. Any suggestions?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm looking for a recipe I found online in 2012 or 2013. It was for stuffed peppers or possibly pepper boats, we used it to make both so I'm not sure (leaning towards boats though). It might have been low carb or I might have just taken the rice out. The most distinctive thing about it I recall is that it was specifically for grilling the peppers, not baking or anything else.

It was Italian-ish with mozzarella, parmesan, lots of basil, 90% sure oregano, and tomato paste or sauce. And of course ground meat.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm looking for a recipe I found online in 2012 or 2013. It was for stuffed peppers or possibly pepper boats, we used it to make both so I'm not sure (leaning towards boats though). It might have been low carb or I might have just taken the rice out. The most distinctive thing about it I recall is that it was specifically for grilling the peppers, not baking or anything else.

It was Italian-ish with mozzarella, parmesan, lots of basil, 90% sure oregano, and tomato paste or sauce. And of course ground meat.

Still looking for this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like to brown some ground beef to put in mac and cheese and I usually put barbecue sauce on it along with some onions and garlic, but the flavor is a little strong and acidic for the cheese. What would be a better way to season it? I'm thinking about ketchup instead of barbecue sauce since I like it on mac and cheese anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I would not use sauce but only use dry seasoning. Cajun works well.

Alernatively add some chopped onion, garlic and when browned a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Way better than ketchup.

That sounds good, thanks.

Followup question: would it work to add a little bit of molasses?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it possible for canned salmon to be undercooked? I got a new brand of pink salmon and it's a deeper color than what I usually get. Tastes fine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's a good thing to do with the grease that comes off a chicken when you bake it?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's a good way to season/marinate hamburgers before grilling or frying? I tried a few things I found on Google but they didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay, so about how much salt should I put on 1 pound of patties if that's all I'm using?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Interesting, thanks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SubG posted:

Salt and pepper. If you're going to do fancy saucing or seasoning on a burger about ten times out of ten you're better off adding it after cooking. When you're looking at a short cook at high heat you're not going to get a lot of delicate interplay of whatever the gently caress you might be imagining, like if you were doing braise or something. So unless your sauce/seasoning really wants to get the everloving poo poo seared out of it, it doesn't really want to be on the grill with the burger.

Apart from meat, cheese, and bun, what are you going for? Like when you have a stereotypical cheeseburger with Russian and you think to yourself that it really needs to be more elaborate, what kind of thing do you have in mind?

What's a "cheeseburger with Russian"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Speaking of burgers, someone said you can mix mayo with the patties before cooking, and after finding out that you can fry grilled cheese in mayo instead of butter my mind is open... should I try it?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thought I posted this already, but can you substitute panko for normal breadcrumbs in a meat loaf? Do they work as well as a binder?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Any recommendation for cooking asian swamp eel? Does it taste the same as true eels?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How much salt should you put in water for boiling potatoes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also do boiled potatoes have less flavor or nutrients than steamed because of what's lost in the water?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mustard powder in fried chicken breading?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes? No? Maybe? If you're asking whether you should add it or not it would depend on the other spices and what flavor you are aiming for, I've see dried mustard used in fried chicken batter, I've also seen plenty of recipes without it. :shrug:

Other than that I was just gonna use pepper melange, seasoned salt and MSG. Just wondering if it was a good idea and wouldn't be overpowering.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: misspost

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why are you supposed to cut Chicago deep dish with a serrated knife instead of a pizza roller?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's a good vegetable to have with meat loaf and potatoes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can you microwave milk to make it hot?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Truffle oil in mashed potatoes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Would ranch go well with normal sushi rolls?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Would it make sense to put bell peppers in Chinese fried rice? I'm not sure the flavors would work together and I don't want to take chances since I'm cooking for other people.

Edit: Also celery, but I was considering sauteeing it separately to get it a little milder

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 8, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thanks. What about putting in bok choy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crossposting from the pizza thread because I need an answer ASAP

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I normally use raw onions and peppers for toppings, but thinking about sauteing them a little this time. Good idea? They're gonna go under a generous amount of cheese.