Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I enjoy rice a lot, particularly Jasmine and Basmati. It's really enjoyable. I am starting to grow irritated with the seemingly random quality levels I am getting buying from bulk bins and from trying random brands carried at the indian market nearby. I've the execution dialed in to 100% I believe, but despite changing nothing about my procedure how fragrant, separate the grains remain, and how long the grains end up all seem to vary randomly from bag to bag of rice. Is there a set of brands know to be higher quality for these varieties?

For other varieties of rice, particularly medium and short grain white rice I've been 100% happy with kokuho rose and nishiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Halfway up on every range I've used will burn things and smoke oil. I've yet to "sweat" onions.

I have Calphalon stainless pans.

It's not the pans or the range, obviously. It's me. It just doesn't help that everyone says "medium" or "medium low" as if that corresponds to a dial position, when really it's a temperature. And obviously I'm letting my pans get above that temperature. Sort of irrelevant what the dial says if I am smoking up my kitchen.

Yeah this is definitely my experience with every non-gas range. My last glass top stove would get "smoking hot" with the burner set to "2" out of "8". I never took it above "4" for anything but bringing water to a boil.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I use ground lamb in place of beef most of the time anyway, since it's what I have ready access to. It's great - just use it for burgers or in meatloaf or to make meatballs or something. It's much better than beef, I think.

What magical land is this? Lamb here costs so much and the lack of lamb in my life makes me sad.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I was setting up a batch of eggnog to rest until the holidays and I ended up with leftover eggs with sugar beaten into them. Any suggestions what to do with this? My first thought was a quick batch of egg nog good to drink right away but I don't feel like buying milk. Should I make some sort of sweetened egg noodles? Any ideas?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you want to filter oil lazily and really wellll just use a chemex coffee filter and a funnel. Even after frying battered and breadcrumbed items back to back the filtered oil looked like new.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've recently cut way back on my meat consumption in exchange for buying significantly higher quality meats fresh. As well as paying more attention to the freshness and quality of the fruits/vegetables I buy. It's interesting seeing how many recipes seem to be written to work around deficiencies in the ingredients used. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yeah just little things mostly related to adding fat or liquid. Like, I've some brisket where the flat is almost as fatty as supermarket "point" and if I followed typical recipes for handling flat, specifically a Passover Braise, the balance of added liquid/fats in the braising liquid needed pretty severe adjustment​.

I do find myself using less spice in general despite loving it, but that's mostly the novelty of having chicken/pork with noticable (and enjoyable) flavor of their own.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 16, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Are there any good cookbooks for 10-13 aged kids with a bit of interest in learning their way around a kitchen? Bonus points for some sort of app or video integration.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bollock Monkey posted:

What stands out to me is that there's a lot of meat and not a lot of veg in that meal plan.

While I agree that's a not a lot of veg I'd disagree on the meat quantity. Ditch the starch for more veg imo.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nitro cold brew? Same reason you put a beer on nitro. Mouth feel and attendant changes in flavor.

Now there's a few people out there using nitro pressurized systems to do cold brewing to prevent any oxidation of flavors giving a better flavor than the "vaguely sweet muddy coffee water" of most cold brew. Supposedly.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My favorite pizza sauce is the garlic dip from Papa John's.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hauki posted:

It also has the benefit of not making your house hit 90 degrees inside while you cook

Beauty of central air. I can run the broiler and cover the stovetop with boiling pots of water on each burner and it doesn't tick a degree over 72.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Looking at buying a home and there's a "green renovation" mortgage incentive where they can tack up to an extra $50k at 0% on it. Thinking of going full solar/powerwall, double thick windows, the works. Still get all the tax incentives for spending on these things as well.

Now the real question. Can a permanently installed BBQ pit be billed as "green"

Sextro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 13, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I picked some chilies I've been growing on the balcony and now have no idea what to do with them. It's way too much for me to eat in the near future, and there are more coming up:

There are two generic varieties I can't identify exactly (the red ones), as well as the habaneros and jalapenos. I already have a bunch of dry ones so I was thinking maybe freezing or pickling. What would you guys do?

Another thing, my very basic rice cooker always ends up with a layer of dried rice stuck to the bottom, it seems no matter how much I mess with the water ratio. Is this somehow fixable, or is that just how these cheapo cookers are?

Eat them whole. Stuff then roast them. Or any of these other options.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

hakimashou posted:

A hundred-ish dollar Zojirushi rice cooker will make rice perfectly every single time with no effort at all. Just rinse the rice, put it in, fill with water to the line, close the lid, push the button.

If you eat a lot of rice you should get one, its like a microwave or something it's a basic kitchen thing.

And if you're a lazy loser long grain rices cook pretty well both rinsed and not.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sani tuff for life.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Wetstones require a LOT of practice to avoid ruining the blade.

That's an exaggeration. Patience, a few YouTube's and if you're nervous a fibrox to practice on and you'll be good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I sharpen all my knives at 90 degrees. By hand.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bagheera posted:

What are some decent brands of craft chocolate (in the US)? I've really never had anything better than Godiva. I'm curious to try the expensive craft chocolate I read about, but I don't have many gourmet stores near me. Is there a place online where I can order it? And some brands that make really tasty chocolate and not just overpriced Hersheys?

Dandelion chocolates. They sell directly online and have pretty decent availability at bougie shops/cafes. I'm sure there's a lot more options, but they're the first I was exposed to that offered transparent sourcing, bars made with 2 ingredients only (cocoa beans and sugar) and were available near me.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone really know their turkey?

Planning for Thanksgiving is starting and I've some learning to do regarding turkey breeds and quality.

Available to me I've 3 heritage breeds, standard bronze, bourbon red, and Spanish black.

And just to confuse things a bit there's a plethora of "pasture raised" standard/broad breast white turkey as well.

All options are pretty local and prices are comparable except for a few outliers.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 22, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Reduce it before you store it. I make chicken stock whenever I have a couple of chicken carcasses saved up, make the stock and reduce it until I get about 50-100ml from them, it's a rich dark brown colour and when you or it in the fridge it becomes like stiff jelly. Cut this into cubes and freeze them, you have literal stock cubes that you can put into everything.

How much chicken are you using for the water? My go to stock turns into jelly at fridge temps ~1 quart of output.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

gelatin- cheese cloth- coffee filter -coffee filter - give up and throw it out.

Try an automotive oil filter maybe?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Getting a 20lb tank of CO2 at home to have basically infinite sparkling water has been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Also it makes dusting a lot more fun. And yes, bitters + sparkles =tasty refreshments. Extra fun is throwing in some fresh basil/mint/cucumber/berries/whatever the garden has for me.

Still a sucker for the 2 slice + a can of coke lunch though.

Or the steak and a beer.

Or just a beer.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Rice is cheap, try it both ways with each variety of rice you use regularly. Personally I've found with the extra long grain basmati rice I use the improvement from a rinse/soak is negligible compared to the extra time/effort it takes. Japanese and california grown japanese style medium/short grain rices it makes a way bigger difference and I make the time to do so.

I've experimented with "musenmai" rice which is supposed to be super polished and coated with tapioca starch so you don't need to rinse it (rinsing rice actually has a measurable environmental impact and reducing it is a worthwhile endeavor!) and you just need to reduce how much rice you are dosing by iirc 2 teaspoons per zojirushi provided measuring cup of rice. I've typically found this "musenmai" rice to be fairly middling quality wise, but ultimately still serviceable.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bagheera posted:

WTF is "Pork loin country style pork ribs boneless"? They were on sale at the supermarket, but I don't know what to do with them?

They're four cuts about 5 inches long and 2 inches thick. Lightly marbled. They certainly aren't 'ribs' as I'm used to seeing them. Are they loin cuts from close to the ribs? Can I cook them like I do normal pork chops (low and slow in the oven, then sear on the stovetop)?

Post a photo if you want me to be sure, but they are probably cuts from the shoulder end loin of the pork butt. Usually cut in a different direction and sold as Coppa Roast or used to make capicola and other charcuterie. Doesn't need an excessive amount of time to tenderize and should be pretty tender.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm glad to know their influence is spreading to the outskirts of the Midwest. Frying them is unique, around these parts they're cooked low and slow, either simmered or basted frequently in bbq sauce (basting is my preferred technique.)

I've seen an bought those across the east coast though? I've seen them in butcher shops just off the top of my head in Miami, Tampa, Durham, Atlanta, Philly, Boston and Portland (Maine).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Delicata squash and other "thin" skinned varieties of squash have ruined me. I ended up with a pair of acorn squashes recently and how much labor it took to prep vs delicata put me off of wanting to make the rest of the meal I had in mind and I ended up just making roast squash soup.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

For those of you who worry about counterspace, have you considered putting certain items outside of the kitchen? For example, I noticed I had a bunch of unused dresser space, so I put my zojirushi and toaster on top of my dresser. Now I can wake up, grab a slice of bread from the sock drawer and make toast without even leaving the bedroom! Or just scoop some rice/oats/etc out of the zojirushi that cooked them perfectly for your breakfast!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pressure cooked meat for stock is great dog scraps. Or shredded and mixed with rice and veg for the ultimate bargain bachelor bowl of a meal.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've taken to buying the insanely $$ Christopher Ranch California grown garlic when the application is one where it's a key ingredient. It's consistently available at the stores I frequent and while not as good as fresh local stuff that I see on rare occasion it's a drat sight better than the Russian roulette of generic garlic I'd be playing otherwise.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

It's a valid question.

If she likes well done steaks there is a risk. A risk she also does not like fish sauce, runny eggs, vegetables, eating meat with a bone in it "because it's too real and reminds me I'm eating an animal" or any number of other picky eater things that will eventually lead to a blow out argument at a family holiday gathering ending in multiple murder/hostage situation.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Some brands of tomato paste taste much more like concentrated fresh tomato and less like delicious reduced tomato. Mostly overpriced organic brands I've noticed.

Goya4lyfe

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Squashy Nipples posted:

Amoroso roll, thin sliced rib-eye, American cheese slices, with or without onions.

Good god NO to the Steak Ums. That said, cheeze whiz is the go-to cheese in some parts of Philly.

Whiz is saltier and practically guaranteed to get evenly spread throughout the sandwich. The go to if you're not confident in your skills (or of the place your ordering from) other wise the sharpest provolone you can find.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

big black turnout posted:

How do I find an actual butcher that will cut meat for me they don't have out. Every "butcher" I've found around here just stares blankly at you if you ask for anything.

I'm also pretty sure the one I just tried didn't actually know what a ham hock was

Stop going to super markets. Failing that, go to whole foods and ask for a manager if they act like a cow instead of a butcher.

E: try Publix if you're in the South East

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Publix you're also going to have a lot of luck calling in advance and asking about them doing a special order for you.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Local produce spot I'm a big fan of (for being incredibly well priced and heavily focused on seasonality and local whenever possible) just announced getting in the first greenhouse grown Fresh from NJ tomatoes of the season.

Now I've several questions. Do greenhouse tomatoes even have seasons? If so why is that season mid-winter? Is this a joke about it being after New year's that's sailing over my head?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eeyo posted:

In principle with greenhouses you pay a lot in electricity/gas to heat your farm land (and provide supplemental lighting if necessary) in exchange for the ability to produce tomatoes pretty much whenever. At least a decade ago (according to this report I stumbled across: http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-447.pdf 132 citations :wow:), greenhouses allowed North American growers to harvest tomatoes pretty much whenever. In more northern areas like Canada, greenhouses were typically used outside of winter. So it could be that the "season" is just whenever the producer that your grocer sources from harvests tomatoes. They presumably started the seeds months ago and are coming around for harvesting now.

I'm not sure how you go about picking a "season". The economics here are pretty complicated so you probably just look at your electricity & labor costs and the typical market conditions and try to pick the best spot.

That said, I think the general consensus is that if you want tomatoes for a sauce or stew then just get canned (unless it's field tomato season and you have a good source for quality tomatoes).

Oh totally agreed. I prefer canned products even in season for some applications. I just got excited at the prospect of making a nice BLT.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I also hated corn bread of all varieties until I tried an unsweetened cornbread but made using freshly milled (as in within the past few days) corn. Huuuuuge difference and the only way I'll eat it anymore.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

In general whenever stir fry at home is somehow just not living up to restaurant stuff I always suggest "cook hotter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

DasNeonLicht posted:

I bought a whole pound of red miso paste at the grocery store the other day, and now I'm not quite sure what to do with it, apart from the odd cup of miso soup.

Does anyone have any favorite recipes that use red miso paste?

Throw a big spoonful of it in anywhere you want to add a bit of salt and umami complexity. Turn that cream sauce into a miso cream sauce. Elevate the chicken salad, escalate your pepper/mushroom stuffing, or integrate it into a batch of stir fry. It's good.