Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

What's the best/cheapest way to buy vanilla beans in bulk? I've run out of homemade vanilla extract and want to make more without paying through the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use walnuts or omit the nuts entirely.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

My favorite thing to eat them in is a common Sichuanese style of green beans. This recipe looks about right, although I haven't tried it.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Jay Carney posted:

I'd take the first one even tho I, not OP!

Ditto, this sounds delicious, I'd love the recipe.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Do you mean garlic scapes? They're good in pesto, or anywhere you'd use scallions. Or you can just stir fry them.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Bagheera posted:

What other ingredients could I mix and match with the garlic? Sun-dried tomatoes? Spinach? Other veggies? Maybe herbs like sage or oregano?

My favorite is red pepper flakes and oregano. But I also like Ranch-inspired (mustard powder, onion powder, dill, parsley, black pepper) and a classic Italian blend (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram if you keep it around). I also serve simple olive oil pasta like this with chicken a lot - chicken piccata, chicken marinated with yogurt+lemon+garlic, etc. I also like it with spinach and artichoke hearts, either with chicken or without.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I agree. If you're going the pasta route, pick something easier to eat gracefully, like farfalle. But pasta does sorta come off as college student food. Personally I'd go for something equally easy but a little more impressive, like carne asada (this recipe makes a fuckton, so do a third or something) which you can mostly make ahead of time and all you have to do during the date is grill up the meat and grab some tortillas and cotilla and hot sauce. You can also do this recipe in a slow cooker for even less prep during the date.

I admit that I did use this recipe on a second date, which went great except that I'd grabbed flat leaf parsley instead of cilantro. :doh:

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

For unimportant reasons, I have about fourteen pounds of (ground) coffee and I've already foisted coffee off on everyone I know. Other than tiramisu, what can I cook with it? I've also made coffee ganache as a truffle filling. I normally do my coffee desserts with espresso powder so I don't have to strain coffee grounds out of them, so I'm not sure what I can add ground coffee to.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Personally I love carrot soufflé if that's your sort of thing.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Seconding the recommendation to find an Asian market if possible. They'll have lots of stuff like chicken feet that can be quite good (ed: if prepared correctly) but *sound* like they'll be unpleasant.

Also, please update us on what you end up choosing and how it goes.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I asked my well-meaning boyfriend to get me some dried fruit and he got freeze dried instead. Is there anything I can do with it? I find the texture too unpleasant to eat it as a snack. The only thing I've come up with is to pulverize it and mix with white chocolate to make truffle fillings or something. I've got blueberries, mangos, and strawberries.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

rgocs posted:

Use your freeze dried fruit to make the toppings in this: https://youtu.be/L1kgO1I9NvQ

Haha, I saw that video yesterday and decided it was as close as I'm ever going to get to a divine answer to my prayers.

That being said, I probably still won't make that, it's a little bit excessive. Maybe a waffle bar with all the sauces and some fruit as topping options.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have a spiced/seasoned fries recipe they like? Preferably something that doesn't need a deep fryer / frying in a lot of oil.

My step mom used to make these fries that were seasoned with oregano, chili powder and cumin - super simple, just cut up, toss with oil and spices and then into the oven - she never wrote down the recipe and I've not had a ton of luck replicating it - finding it tricky to get the potatoes cooked right without burning the spices.

I do - just had them last week. They're home fries, not French fries, but I imagine you could experiment with potato shape a bit and get similar results. As written these are DELICIOUS.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6772-home-fries

This recipe appears to be behind some kind of paywall, so I'll type it out for you from the physical cookbook of theirs (which is where I got it) when I get home.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hm, yeah, I'd guess either keep the foil on longer or move to a lower rack.

Also, I cannot recommend enough purchasing an infrared thermometer. They're like $15 on Amazon in the US and they fixed all my problems with deep frying, chocolate tempering, and oven temperature by letting me tell what temperature stuff actually is. Also, it's fun to point them at random poo poo like your pets and friends. (and we also used ours to figure out how much heat we were losing through windows in the winter etc)

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

@Oxyclean : here's some home fries goodness.

Enjoy.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I haven't had that problem either - I mix butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together and put that on there. Some recipes suggest melted butter, but I prefer room temperature butter for ease of spreading.

Another thought - do you have a sugar saver? They're inexpensive, basically pottery shards, that you soak in water and then store in your brown sugar container. They keep it from clumping up. If your brown sugar is clumping I can imagine it staying gritty. It's also just more pleasant to never have to break up giant sugar chunks.

E: King Arthur flour also sells cinnamon filling, if you get desperate.

Further edit: I googled their filling looking for ingredients and found other people's recipes for knockoff versions - basically it's brown sugar, cinnamon, a tiny bit of water, and clearjel, ie fancy cornstarch that's clear. So you could experiment with mixing brown sugar, cinnamon, and some cornstarch and adding water to that to get a paste.

legendof fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 21, 2017

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Eeyo posted:

Would western-style cabbage work at all for asian-style dumplings? I've got a package of wrappers and tofu and an extra half a red cabbage and I wanted to make some dumplings this weekend.

I wasn't sure if it was too tough naturally.

I think that would work, maybe dump it in a food processor or something first to get it fairly finely chopped before you mix it with the other stuff in your filling. If you're really worried you could parboil it or something ahead of time. But I don't actually know, so please report back if you do make dumplings (which you should).

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

No. Slow cookers are pretty foolproof. If the lid will go on you're fine. If you fill it to the top with liquid and then turn it on high your liquid will boil over, but I assume that's obvious (I hope that's obvious).

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Seconded. I used to stockpile them because Iove jiaozi and it's hard for me to get to an Asian market, but they really only last a few weeks before they get too dry (even in the sealed plastic they come in) to really work.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

There's a KitchenAid attachment, although I haven't tried it personally.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I assume the ten paragraph essays about how great their family is and how many times the bridge circle complimented this recipe and how quickly it gets eaten (even the blogger is on a diet, tee hee!) go first because they know in their hearts that if the essays went after the recipes then no one would ever read them.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

moller posted:

Oh man, I was totally blaming myself for this, I had no idea it was a thing.

Ditto. I'm kind of relieved, actually, I've had this happen with chicken I was SURE I did not overcook.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I eat unsweetened Greek yogurt with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast most mornings. It's loving delicious, although I'm not sure how low you're aiming on the low carb scale. I agree with other posters, your options are pretty much precooked meats of some kind or giving up on breakfast food and eating something less breakfast like.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Where do I buy ten pounds of semi sweet chocolate for less than $50 or so? I'm in the US. I got my last huge bag on Amazon and it wasn't amazing quality and I'm hoping someone knows of a chocolate bulk seller - baking speciality stores like KAF are a little too pricey for me.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Ooh, trader Joe's is a good idea. Thanks!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Personally if I don't feel that way looking at a curry recipe, I double the spices.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Just going to drop in a recommendation for Better Than Bouillon - it's a stock concentrate that comes in small jars and you dilute it with water to make stock. I love it because it's significantly cheaper than boxed stock, comes in a huge range of types (garlic, mushroom, veggie, chicken, beef) and most importantly because it lets you make your stock as concentrated as you want. And it keeps forever and takes up no space so I've always got some on hand, and don't have weird half empty stock cartons that mold in two seconds. I make all my ramen in garlic stock, it's loving great. Most grocery stores have it but it's also on Amazon.

I'm sure homemade stock is better, but since one of my roommates is vegetarian we don't eat bone-in meat often enough for it to be worth it for me to save bones to make my own stock.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Maggi cubes are SO SALTY. You've been warned.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Philly cheeseteaks

Stuffed peppers

Include into a mirepoix for other recipes

Fajitas. Sausage & peppers.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Are you putting them in straight from the fridge? You might have better luck with room temperature eggs.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Imo the best thing to do with capers is chicken piccata. It's also the only thing I cook with capers. I use them up very very slowly.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If spices are bland my first guess is that they were pre-ground, old, or probably both. My second guess is not enough salt.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I have been told that rinsing your chicken is not a great idea unless you are going to wash out your sink with soap immediately afterwards, since salmonella can live rather a while in a damp sink and will contaminate stuff you wash in it afterwards.

Anyway, baking the chicken will make it safe to eat, that's the whole point, so I don't understand what rinsing it is intended to accomplish.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Greek yogurt is significantly thicker than regular yogurt and has much more protein, so I suspect you'll get a very watery dough if you substitute regular. Maybe try mixing in some sour cream to thicken it. Also, use the unsweetened, in case that's not obvious.

I haven't tried the Greek yogurt + self rising flour dough before, but I make my pierogi dough out of just sour cream, salt, and flour. It's very chewy and I love it for pierogis but wouldn't try any of the pinterest stuff (bagels, pizza) with it. Please report back if you do try a yogurt dough!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

This sounds a little weird, but I put bitters (like for making mixed drinks with) in seltzer and it's great. Ended up with a set of a bunch of flavors (orange, rose, chocolate, etc) and tried it on a whim to use them up a little bit faster. Do recommend.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm about to embark on a quest to dry age a big chunk of cow (by which I mean I have my setup and just need to go buy some meat). Is there a thread for this sort of thing somewhere?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

apatheticman posted:

Probably a question that is asked every day or so.

What are your go to recipe sites? (besides serious eats)

Allrecipes.com if I want to make an easy, common dish, and the king Arthur flour site for baking. Otherwise it's serious eats.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Potentially a dumb question, but I want a fish turner (ie a super thin super flexible slotted spatula) but we have mostly nonstick cookware and historically I haven't been able to trust my roommates to not scratch nonstick if we have metal cooking implements. Is it a dumb concern in this case because they should (should) never be using them in a way that'd scratch the coating, or should I admit defeat and get a (less ideal) silicone one?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Friends coming round tomorrow, planning on doing some Greek food. Any recommendations for some show-stoppers?

Souvlaki! I prefer lamb, but you can find chicken souvlaki recipes also. Very colorful, very tasty. I serve with homemade tzatziki instead of the sauce listed here, and make falafel for veg guests (if needed). Make sure to get the soft pita instead of the pocket kind to serve with.

There's also Greek fries, which everyone loves. Depending on how much time I have I will sometimes make my own fries and sometimes just buy a bunch of fries from my favorite local place and add my own feta + lemon + herbs + more of that tzatziki.

If you're feeling ambitious there's always baklava - definitely buy your filo, don't make your own, but plan on rather a bit of time for prep. A pretty impressive thing to make, even with store bought filo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If you are interested in this sort of thing I recommend The Language Of Food by Jurafsky - it talks extensively about how English got its food words (why do we say beef for the food and cow for the animal when few other languages make that distinction, why do we say entrée for main course when it actually means appetizer in French, what's the deal with lunch/dinner/supper, etc) and it's super fascinating.