Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Does anyone else hate the new poo poo they're coating avocados with? A faintly-blue translucent waxy coating that is supposedly edible and supposedly keeps avocados ripe for twice as long.

IMO all it has really done is make all the avocados appear ripe for twice as long. The outside flesh rots while the inside flesh stays underripe forever. It's avocado roulette. Every once in a while I get one that is OK but at three bux a pop or whatever, gently caress that.

Anybody got any tips on gauging neo-cado ripeness?

E: also, I ordered a cobb salad at a national chain bar and grill the other day and the avocado slices were a sweaty, waxy-looking olive-drab, like they had come out of a can or something. What industrial food preservation miracle is behind this?

fart store fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
What's up with goons and these gross-rear end pickles. If you have to use a weight why on earth would you use something that will rot.

Here's a helpful thread on pickling and canning. IIRC there's also plenty on lactofermenting in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

There's also a whole series of entertaining videos on fermenting stuff by bon appetit. Here's one:
https://youtu.be/sUwy71ddj1M

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Qubee posted:

how long will cooked fruits last in the fridge?

I'd guess about a week or two before it gets moldy. Probably depends on the environment in which bit was prepared. Cooked fruit is freezable as well. Pack it in freezer bags and make them thin and flat so there's lots of surface area and it freezes quickly.

You could also get into canning and make shelf stable jars of cooked fruit.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Smoke guns, yay, nay or only if you hate money?

If you're a hardcore food nerd hobbyist you might use it more than once. Probably more practical for cocktails than food, especially since you can probably get an actual smoker for less than a gun this time of year.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
I leave the business end of the tongs over the heat for a few seconds so whatever thin layer of juice is on them cooks. dip em down near the coals if I need it to be immediate. I only do this once, after the outside side of the meat is cooked. I only have one set of grill tongs. Reusing the plate is absolutely wrong.

von Braun posted:

I've been doing chilis for a while. But I'm always unsure about the peppers.
I use a lot of fresh peppers that i chop into small pieces and throw in ti the the garlic and onion to sauté. Is this the right approach with them? The dried peppers I try to slice into bigger chunks and just toss in there since I like when i get a spoonful of them in my mouth, it's real tasty.
Should I do something else with them or is this a good way to cook them in the chili?

Sounds good to me. You could also (if we're talking about big chilies) char them beforehand under a broiler or over a flame, until the skin is all blistered. Then bag them so they steam while they cool, then peel the skin off. The flesh will have a smokier flavor and obviously the skin won't be on it anymore. Add that, chopped, with your garlic after your onion is sweated.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

von Braun posted:

Okay, thanks. :) I've seen some people who make it all into a paste or whatever and I started thinking I missed something.

If you like it with big chili chunks then hell yeah make it with big chili chunks. I'm sure everyone here would agree there's no wrong way to make a chili :can:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Scientastic posted:

It’s pretty obvious he’s asking for ways to conceal the jizz. I’d suggest adding a small amount of bicarbonate of soda to increase the pH of the rice, bringing it closer to the pH of semen, preventing the protein precipitation that gives the cloudy appearance.

It would be a lot easier to just use jismine rice instead of basmati

Snype: but I guess that might affect the mouthfeel

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Elizabethan Error posted:

oh what sights we have to show you

Hahahhaah
'pluhbonno peppers'

Any time a recipe video is labeled 'meal prep' you know it's going to rule.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone know what normally goes into sliced fish bee hoon/have a good recipe for it? Had some in Singapore and can't stop thinking about it but I dunno if what I had was representative of what it's supposed to be.

e: Also, in this thread or one of the other ones a few weeks back someone linked a site to order various beans online. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link for it?

I have bought a lot of beans from rancho gordo and from this place
https://www.purcellmountainfarms.com

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Casu Marzu posted:

Hell yeah. There's also a chili paste based marinated crab as well.

I crave both constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_wv8hNCYK0

This is pretty much what I wish I could be doing weekly

this makes me want to puke
no dont link me more mukbang i aint clicking that poo poo unless its some dude crying about getting diabetes from eating too many personal pan pizzas

fart store fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 21, 2018

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Casu Marzu posted:

Poached turnips and radishes in white wine and butter are dope

I'm roasting a chicken on a bed of turnips and potatoes and carrots in wine and I can't wait to slurp those greasy tubers in an hour or so. Been thinking about it all day.

Never hotted a radish but now I want to.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Wacky Delly posted:

Know what I'm making this weekend now.

Well it was a little fryer and i cooked it til the breast and the thigh were reading 160 with a lovely analog meat thermometer. After i took it out to rest and finished off the veg at 400 for another 35 mins, I discovered the deep parts of the thighs were still raw.

I recommend considering that if your root veg isn't cooked by the time you're pulling your chicken, make sure the veg wasn't acting as a heat sink. Flip that feather boy over and let it ride another half hour so its rear end can cook.

Or just have a good thermometer and don't be an incompetent idiot.

I managed to salvage a lot of it but it was disappointing to lose my fav parts of the bird. The veg and pan sauce came out nice though.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Qubee posted:

hey guys it's me, the dude who constantly slandered people who use rice cookers because "it's so simple, just make it in a pan you pooheads!"

I'm coming at you with a question because I'm a god drat hypocrite: there's so many zojirushi rice cooker models, how can I compare and see which one suits my needs best? which ones do you guys vouch for and swear by?

I bought preminced garlic in a glass jar once and will never do it again. maybe the one I bought was poo poo quality, but it was terrible.

Get one with a nonstick bowl and treat it right. Get a pressure one for fast rice. Get a pressure + induction if you have 370 dollars and get off on that sort of thing.

I have the normal 'micom' zoji rice cooker and it's fine. IDK what the big deal is tbh. I think maybe zoji is good if you want to keep your rice in a ready-to-eat state for like 48 hours. Or you want to delay cook start (I've never bothered). Other than that a normal rice cooker with a stainless bowl is just as good imo. Heresy. Worms.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Qubee posted:

I want to make cardamom tea, but I'm tired of the sticky mess that's left behind in the pan from boiling the milk. Are milk pans best for boiling milk? I always get caramelization and really hard gunk on the bottom after boiling, and even soaking the pan to clean it afterwards is still difficult. I've used nonstick pans and the same happens, so any tips on boiling milk?

I'm guessing you add sugar to it while it's in the pan? I think you got a couple things you could try. Sprinkle the sugar slowly into the liquid after it comes up to temp, so it dissolves fast enough that it doesn't settle and stick to the hot surface of the pan. If that doesn't work, then also drain and wipe out the pan with a dry cloth like a tea towel while it's still very hot.

I'm making some assumptions here. I used to make chai in a nonstick pan and didn't have stickiness problems.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

LongSack posted:

So my mom passed recently, and for the first time in several decades I have no reason to travel 5+ hours to see the rest of my family for thanksgiving (plus, I’m primary on-call so ...). I’m looking for a dinner idea for thanksgiving for one (or two, I’ve got nothing against leftovers). I’m thinking something with turkey cutlets, mashed ‘taters and dressing (yes, I know, double starch but gently caress it). I am also a huge fan of sweet-potato casserole (with pineapple and marshmallows).

I can handle the sides, but I’m looking for something a little more exciting than sautéing cutlets or roasting a frozen turkey breast.

Ideas? TIA

This'll be my first solo Thanksgiving in a while, too. Someone recently told me that Chinese restaurants are pretty great on thanksgiving. I happen to have a real nice one nearby so I'm going to check that out.

Sorry about your mom.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Steve Yun posted:

I got this serrano at Costco. When I put it on the gondola, should the left side be face up or the right side or does it not matter

Looks like in most GIS results the right side is up

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Wrenever posted:

I'm interested in reducing grocery bills for me and my wife, and I decided as part of the effort to start adding beans to our meals. I've never cooked dry beans before in my life so I wound up coming home with ten bags and have been casually experimenting with combining them different spices and foods.

I'm starting to learn what works and what doesn't, but is there anything in particular I should try with beans that you know would be a hit?

There is a bean thread in the archives. There are lots of recipe recommendations compiled in the second post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735

E: and if you don't have archives, here are a couple of them https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/drunken-mexican-beans-with-cilantro-and-bacon/

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

fart store fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 21, 2018

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Regarding this recipe: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie.html

What difference would it make if I used complete eggs instead of yolks?

Including whites where only yolks are prescribed will make the filling more firm, i believe. Like less creamy and more bounce.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

me your dad posted:

The chicken thighs didn't result in anyone throwing up so we were good to go. I made some good chicken soup last night.

Another question: I made some slow-cooked pork butt the other day, cooked with a rub of chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, etc...

I'm making a quiche tonight and I have no meat to throw in. Would it be really gross to make a pulled-pork quiche?

I personally dislike quiche but I can't imagine pulled pork making it worse. Eggs go great with all kinds of spices. Maybe garnish with some quick pickled onion.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Steve Yun posted:

If my Serrano ham grew mold can I wipe it with vinegar and cut off the moldy piece and keep eating it?

https://www.jamon.com/slice-and-store.html

This site says its normal and to wipe it with vegetable oil and a cloth.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Reign Of Pain posted:

I've got a thin-cut rib-eye steak that wasn't used for the breakfast that was intended and I want to make a taco or 2 out of it.

I've got:

Tortillas
Yellow onion
Celery
Carrots
Cucumber
Buncha canned poo poo like stewed tomatoes, campbells soups, beef broth, ect... -
tons of dry spices
Oranges
Grapefruit
Apples
chocolate cake?
veg and olive oil

Getting groceries delivered is fun

Whats a good way to mash some of this up to make me tacos?

toast some garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder in some veg oil in a skillet. Dice and add some stewed tomatoes, half a chopped onion, and the meat, and heat through. Add salt to taste.
Put the resultant hot stuff in a tortilla. Add some chopped raw onion and shaved carrot for crunch. Squirt a little orange or grapefruit juice on there maybe. Lime would be better.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Reign Of Pain posted:

Thank you. That was awesome and I'm glad you reminded me that it's easy to make something quick and simple thats GOOD!

:discourse:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
sous vide them both to whatever you temp you prefer and take hers out early and throw it in the microwave for ten minutes.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Well it's really probably more like 70 vs 36 or so. If you're smoking them to temp it would obviously change the time in the smoker, which would prolly make a diff in flavor.

I do believe that when you're trying to hot a steak restaurant style (sear, then throw it in a super hot oven) having the steak at room temp when you start does make it a lot easier to cook it evenly.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

goodness posted:

From our Lord and savior

"The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge."

:worship:

I like to let mine sit out about 2 hours when i'm gonna grill 'em. 20 mins is obviously not going to do anything. Also, the thickness of the meat is going to play into it, and he doesn't say how thick his 15 ounce steak was. He also dismisses the idea of letting them rest on something thermally conductive. Yeah you could hang the thing from the ceiling with a piece of twine and it'll warm a lot slower than if you put it on a baking pan or even a regular ceramic plate.

I think he's got a bit of confirmation bias built into his test.

That said, I've never tested it myself and my own opinion is based on my own anecdotal experience. It might be a fun summer project to do some meat measurements.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Green curry is good with sweet potato.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've got like 5 lbs of marinated steak tips I need to bring to a Christmas pot luck thing. Any ideas on the best way to cook these indoors, since I don't want to deal with the grill in winter.

Can you treat them like stew meat? Sear 'em off and chuck 'em in a crock pot with some onions? Did you have a dish in mind?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Make-a da paniiiiini eyyyyy

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Maybe highlight techniques and concepts for a start. Slice, chop, mince. Boil, blanch, steam. Bake, braise, broil.

Ruhlman's 20 or Bittman's How to Cook Everything might be a good gift if he's a reader.

I agree that working in the budget and bonus thing might be a bit of a deep-end jump for someone who is starting near zero. Cool idea though.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Corla Plankun posted:

I have a bunch of really great little fresh peppers in my fridge that I don't think I'm going to be able to eat before they go bad. Last time this happened I dried them out and ground them up and it was pretty good but not so good that I'd do it again (most of the flavors went away so it was just spicy but otherwise tasteless dust). Would making my own hot sauce preserve the flavors better than drying them out?

Follow up question: Anyone have a good hot sauce recipe?

Yeah, make a hot sauce and/or or pickle them.

Here's one way to make hot sauce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

e: and a faster non-fermented sauce
https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2016/02/15-minute-homemade-hot-sauce/

fart store fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 5, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Tom Gorman posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent cleaver for under $30? I've been buying meat in bulk and butchering it and it's taking a toll on my knives.

I don't have a budget for anything top shelf but something serviceable that lasts a while and is easy to sharpen would be great.

I really don't need something extravagant. Just reliable. I feel like I should be able to buy a meat cleaver at that price point that isn't garbage.

i got this cheap winco cleaver about five years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HESNR8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't want to have to handle a cleaver all precious so I went super cheap and I'm happy with it. I hack thru chicken skeletons and wash it in the dishwasher and it's still put together, hasn't rusted, and has held enough of an edge to still be able to chop veggies in a pinch.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got a Sous vide for Xmas and have been generally pleased with the results. I still wonder about food safety though. Isn’t it a little risky to put a piece of meat through the danger zone for so long? I did a tri tip and it just smelled... weird? coming out of the bag before I seared it.

The foundation of any advice you'll see on how to safely cook sous vide is based on two things:

1) how long it's going to take your meat to heat to bath temp at its center (or 1 degree f lower than bath temp because it's a near asymptotic curve)

2) how long it takes your meat to pasteurize at 1 degree f lower than bath temp. This is the time at which at a given temp - statistically - only one in ten million bacteria will survive. This is what a pasteurization curve looks like:

so according to this plot, if you want to kill all but one in ten million bacteria on your chicken meat, you can cook it at 140 F for 27.5 minutes or 150 F for 2.8 minutes, etc. But remember this is only the outside of the chicken. This is why you also need to know how long it's going to take to heat through, then start your pasteurization timer.

Luckily, other people have already done the legwork figuring this out. This is my go-to doc for finding out where the food safety margins are, when I have some reason to get into the details:
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.htm (click Food Safety in the table of contents for pasteurization info)

One thing you'll notice is that he doesn't provide pasteurization times for meat at thicknesses where it would take more than four hours for the meat to heat to bath temp at center. This is to prevent you from creating a bacteria incubator. According to his math, beef that's about 2.75" at its thickest is where things get iffy.

But since most pathogens live on the surface of meat, some consider it generally safe to leave the center of a roast in the danger zone for longer. This means a Max of about 4" thickness. Anecdotally, it's worked fine for me.

If you're worried about the surface of your meat getting funky while it slowly heats in the bath, you can pre-sear it.

Also sometiems some bacteria just survive. Could be your tri-tip was just unlucky. Or maybe youre just not used to the ghoulish appearance of unseared sous vide meat and you got psyched out.

I hope that gives you some leads for chasing down answers to your food safety Qs!

fart store fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 20, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
I bought myself a nice kurobuta pork chop for dinner. It's a little under 1" thick. Like probably about 0.9".

I've mastered thick-rear end loin chops on the grill, but this isn't thick and I'm not grilling. Also it's obviously not real lean.

Please tell me: What is the best way to cook this chop indoors so that I get good rendering of the fat and I don't overcook the muscle? I'd rather do it old skool than sous vide.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Brine for 24hrs, grill. It's what we do at my restaurant and they're amazing.

You say you aren't grilling, so you're looking for like a pan seared type approach? Or...? I would definitely still brine. We do a great one with some savory herbs and lavender. It adds a lot of complexity without being flowery or perfumey.

I have a giant 2lb bag of baby carrots I bought and didn't use nearly enough of ... I am thinking of a savory carrot soup but don't really want the usual carrot-ginger blended thing. I've had a cold and been drinking a lot of ginger poo poo and cough drops and I'm tired of it. Either a brothy or a blended soup is fine, any other flavors are great (I'll admit that I don't love horseradish) I just don't want ginger. Any ideas?

I've got it dry brining now in a nice spicy salt rub a local market makes in-house. Thanks for the tip. Can you give any details on that lavender herb brine? Sounds really interesting - i'd love to see specifics.

Here's the carrots entry from the flavor bible. Maybe it'll spark something. The flavor affinities section at the very end is usually pretty useful.

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's that close to 1", I would just reverse-sear

Sounds good. I'll post a pic if it comes out looking tasty.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Dry brined and reverse seared that chop.

Cooked it at 175 for a few hours til it came up to 148 in the center (used a probe). Stuck it in the freezer for ten minutes then blasted it in cast iron. Made a shallot dijon cream pan sauce.

I'm eating it now. It's real good.

Eh, throwing it back in for a few more mins. A bit rarer at ~150 than I like.

fart store fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

What do I have here? I am about 80% sure it's a bird's eye chili, but I'm not sure since at the grocery store it just said "hot red chili" (there were some Chinese characters but I didn't bother to get a picture). Very spicy, tastes vaguely like a bell pepper before it kicks you in the face -- very lingering heat. Probably spicier than most bird's eyes I've eaten, but I mean, it can vary wildly so that's not super indicative of anything -- though I've rarely seen fresh bird's eyes in the store.

It was $2 for a good bag of them, which I'm probably just gonna preserve in some way, but I'd like to know what I have.

I pickle a batch of those every once in a while. They're my favorite sandwich condiment.

Wear gloves if you wind up processing them by hand. If you're not using chemical resistant gloves, put on a new pair every half hour or so. I use a paring knife to cut the stems off and slit or slice them in half so the pickling liquid can get into every nook. I did a batch of about three pounds without gloves a couple years ago and my hands burned for three days. It sucked.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Assuming your apartment complex doesn't suck, the management will be very interested in your roach problem and send someone to spray poison all over the place if you alert them.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

I. M. Gei posted:

This is the company I ordered from.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...ab=&vasStoreID=

They’re a pretty big supplier for Home Depot, but their customer reviews are... uhh... hmm

If they sent you the wrong item and don't acknowledge your good-faith attempts at communication you can probably call your bank or credit card co and tell them you don't want to pay for it after all.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I need to cut back my rosemary bushes here soon as they've gotten out of control. Is there anything delicious I can do with like a wheelbarrow full of rosemary? I don't have a charcoal grill but I do use my gas grill alot. Could I like smoke stuff with rosemary sticks in there or something?

Maybe dry and jar it and give it away. Or try to re-plant cuttings and propagate it to your friends? I'd definitely love getting a little rosemary plant from a buddy. And then if you managed to give any of it away you wouldn't have to feel bad about chucking a bunch of it in the compost.

e: contact a nearby farmer's market and see if there are any herb vendors who might give you a few bucks for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Bagheera posted:

I need a good book or article on food pairings.

I make really good food, but I never get the right combinations of food. Last week, I made a spread of food for a GoT viewing party: Moroccan spicy meatballs; a facoccia (sp?) topped with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms; baked lemon-ricotta souffles (for spreading on the fococcia); and a bread pudding with bananas and pecans. Individually, each item was delicious, but they didn't go together at all. It was like listening to Metallica, Vicente Fernandez, and Mozart all at the same time.

Is there a good Internet post or book about pairing food? Something with tips like, "If the meat is spicy, the carbs should be creamy" or "Pork can be served with sweet fruits. Beef is good with root vegetables." Something like that?

The Flavor Bible is pretty close to what you're describing.