Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Can I get a light vegetable/salad recipe recommendation? I'm having friends over for dinner tomorrow night. I've decided on the meat and the carbs, but I can't think of a good veggie dish.

The meat: steak kebabs marinated in yogurt and aleppo pepper. The marinade is from Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/yogurt-marinated-chicken-kebabs-with-aleppo-pepper-353832 It's a chicken recipe, but the marinade works great for beef as well. I also save a bit of marinade for sauce.
The extras: The kebabs will be broiled (I don't have a grill) with onions, bell peppers, and zucchini.
The carbs: Some kind of basmati rice pilaf. Something more than just plain rice, but not something too crazy. The kebabs should be the start of the show. This recipe looks pretty easy and tasty: http://www.food.com/recipe/persian-style-basmati-rice-pilaf-169862

A plate of this food might be a little heavy, so I feel need something light to round it out. Maybe just tomatoes, red onions, and cucumber in a lemon vinaigrette? Or some kind of bright veggie side dish? It doesn't have to be Mediterannean or Middle Eastern. I mean, we're having Key Lime Pie for dessert. It just has to go well with the food above. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I want to cook a pork picnic in the oven. The method I used last time was: Cover with foil and cook in the oven at 250 degrees for 6 - 8 hours. Then take off the foil and cook at 500 degrees for 15 minutes to crisp the fat and skin. Example recipe here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/ultra-crispy-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

This time, though, I can't plan 8 hours ahead. My wife will be home to cook the picnic. But due to my work hours, I don't know if we'll eat at 4, 6, or 10 that night. Can the pork handle a long resting time between the slow cook and the crisping? If she puts in the oven at 7am, takes it out at 3pm. Then we put it in for the crisping at a quarter to 8, will it still turn out well? Or should we cook all the way through the crisping, even if it sits out for a hours after that?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
It's potato week in the Bagheera household. I'm cooking a potato-based main dish every night of the week. Tomorrow night, it's potato pizza time! I'm improvising here. What do you think of these toppings?

Pizza dough recipe form the New York Times

-Russet potatoes 1/4-inch thick slices, spread in one layer over the dough.
-Diced garlic
-Shredded Gruyere cheese over the whole pizza.
-Dots of goat cheese here and there.

This sounds pretty tasty to me. Does that combination sound good to you? I thought of adding carmelized onions and/or bacon. Your thoughts?

Also, should I cook the potatoes beforehand? Some recipes call for soaking the potato slices in water for hours. Most just put raw potato on the pizza. I think I should parboil them. What do you think?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Marinade/rub for a pork picnic?

I'm cooking a pork picnic (shoulder) using this Serious Eats recipe. It's pretty simple: 8 hours at 250 degrees, then a blast at 500 degrees to crisp the skin. I've cooked it plenty of times and got it down well.

I need some ideas for flavoring, though. The recipe recommends just using salt and pepper, then serving a bunch of sauces at the table. That works, but I'd like to give the pork (and the drippings) a little more flavor. I've used dry rubs (mostly Penzey's BBQ 3000 and Chili 3000) to great effect. What if I used a wet marinade?

I'm thinking of soaking pineapple chunks in either soy sauce or teryaki sauce, then sliding them under the skin before cooking. Would that seep into the meat and give it a nice sweet flavor? Or would the acid cause problems during cooking?

On a side note: Pork picnic is a godsend for people on a budget. Dirt cheap ($1 a pound, though a quarter of that is usually bone). Easy to cook (put it in the oven and come back 8 hours later). And after eating straight, you can make a dozen dishes from it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Is there a bean and legume thread? I want to make main dishes that involve beans, lentils, peas, etc., as an effort to eat less meat. Unfortunately, every recipe I find is some kind of bean soup. I think I'd get bored with that quickly. Is there a thread (or a site) for making main dishes with beans and legumes?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

paraquat posted:

I especially love red lentils, because they replace stir fried/crumbled ground beef so well (read up on sloppy "lentil" Joes for example)
and chickpeas are the awesome!! (read up on hummus and hummus and hummus)

Sloppy Joes with lentils instead of ground beef sounds awesome. My wife hates lentils and loves sloppy joe sandwiches. This might be the compromise I've been looking for.

Thanks for the links to the other threads, too.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I want to make a grilled bread recipe but I have no grill. Best way to do it indoors?

The recipe is here: BASIL FLATBREAD WITH ROASTED TOMATOES AND BASIL OIL. It's a flatbread shaped into a disc and placed right on a hot grill, 2-3 minutes per side. It's slightly crunchy on the outside and light on the inside. Really delicious.

The problem is, I don't have a grill anymore. I have three options for making this bread now:

1) Heat up the oven to 550 and cook on my pizza stone, just as if it were pizza crust.
2) Place it right under the broiler, the go-to substitute for all things grilled.
3) Fry it in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop, as I've seen with a recipe for naan.

What option would you use?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYoduN0kWs

Here's what looks to be a good recipe for those Cubanos sandwiches.

That's a good recipe , and far better than what most people outside of Florida usually make. I'd emphasize that the ham needs to be good quality and doesn't need to be grilled like he does it. Also, if you make it on challah bread, it's called a medinoche and IMO tastier.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need advice on spicing up a fish and rice meal. Here in Key West, I have access to very fresh (as in, it was still alive this morning) seafood, but I'm not very good at cooking it. This is my go-to meal plan:

-Mahi-mahi fillets, soaked in coconut milk and key lime juice. Sauteed two minutes a side.
-Coconut rice, with the fish marinade (coconut milk, key lime juice, fish essence) in place of the water.
-Fried ripe plantains
-Mango mixed with red onions and cilantro, served either diced as a salsa, or sliced as a side dish.
-Key lime pie and copious amounts of rum to finish it all off.

Though I'm really good with the pie and the salsa, I feel I could do better with the fish and the rice.
Fish: The only kind of fish I really like are mahi and grouper. Any tips on cooking those two?
Rice: My version of "coconut rice" is just to substitute half the water for coconut milk. Any way to improve that? Note that I'm looking for savory dinner dish, not a sweet dessert.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Prime rib question. I bought this 5 pound cut from Costco yesterday. It was labeled "Beef Ribeye Roast USDA Boneless Choice." The butcher assured me it was the same cut as a prime rib, just without the bones.

Look at the photos of each end of the cut. It doesn't seem to have a lot of marbling. Is it possible it was cut from different ribs than the prime rib cut? Or is this really a nice rack of prime rib, just without the ribs?

I plan to cook it using Serious Eats' method, basically a reverse sear. I've reverse-seared individual ribeye steaks with great luck. Would that work here?

Also, how does this menu sound for a dinner party?

Starter: Comte cheese, salami, canteloupe and grapes on a spread
Main Course: Prime rib, glazed baby carrots, roast asparagus, roasted potatoes. Chimichurri and au jus sauce (I hate horseradish)
Dessert: Creme Anglais on angel food cake, with blueberries, strawberries and sliced peach

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

cool, can you pass by a taqueria and get me some grilled carne asada steak while you're out? TIA

Don't forget the queso cheese. That's the best kind

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
EDIT: My reading comprehension is bad. I missed the bit where you wanted just the consistency, not the flavor, of Skyline chili. I'm leaving this up here anyway in case someone wants to try it.

BTW, just call it "greek beef sauce." It tastes just as good, and you don't get attacked by a mob of Texans.

Capsaicin posted:

Wanna make a simple chili that has the consistency/texture of something like Skyline but doesn't taste like cinnamon buttholes. Any thoughts on how to achieve that? I'm good on flavoring/spices but just want to make a few servings to put over spaghettis.

My family's from the tri-state area (southeast Indiana, southwest Ohio, north and east Kentucky), and I grew up eating Skyline. The recipe below is the closest I've found. I generally reduce (or omit) the chili powder and add a teaspoon or two of cocoa.
Make this a day before. The day you make it, it will be a bit flavorless, even after hours in a slow cooker. After 24 hours in the fridge, it's bursting with flavor.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cincinnati-style-chili-11340

quote:

INGREDIENTS

3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds ground beef chuck
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried orégano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
a 16-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
spaghetti, kidney beans, chopped onion, grated Cheddar, and oyster crackers as traditional accompaniments if desired

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

davestones posted:

I need to make some jerk chicken for a work lunch next month. I've only ever used dried spice powders that you get in the spices rack at the supermarket which don't have much flavour and want to make something more authentic with a bit of a kick. So I'm looking for a spice/paste recipe that anyone would recommend?

I assume bony bits e.g. Leg and thigh would be better than using breast?

Also need to cook some rice to go with it. Was thinking of Hopping John style unless there are any more recommendations that I have never heard of?

I've used this recipe from Epicurious with good luck. It's hot but not overpowering, with very rich flavor. The marinade works well whether the chicken is grilled, smoked, or baked.

I don't think the cut of the chicken matters for jerk. Most jerk places buy whole chickens and grill or smoke all the pieces.

I usually make coconut rice with jerk. The local jerk shack makes a rice and beans dish that's kind of like hoppin' john, but it uses basmati rice and coconut.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Anchovies. I've never had an anchovie in my 40 years on this Earth. Time to change that.

I'm having a dinner party and plan on making Salad Nicoise. I'm using Jamie Oliver's Simple Salad Nicoise recipe. I planned on leaving the anchovies off, but I decided now I ought to try it.

How 'fishy' do anchovies taste? What I read describes them less as fish fillets than as huge umami bombs. I don't eat a variety of seafood. The only fish I eat regularly are Mahi and Grouper, both of which are known for not having a 'fishy' taste. I can tolerate (but not enjoy) tuna or swordfish. But salmon, bass, roughy....I just don't like them at all. How would I fare with anchovies?

Any tips on finding good anchovies? Brands or style that are better than others?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Give me something new to do with pork tenderloin. For years, I've used the same basic recipe:
1) Brine, dry or wet, for 12-24 hours.
2) Trim off any silver. Have a tube of meat that's about a foot long and 3-5 inches wide.
3) Coat with some sort of rub. The Penzey's spice rubs work especially well: Lemon-Pepper, Chili 3000, BBQ, smoked paprika and aleppo pepper.
4) Sear in cast iron over medium-high heat on all sides for 3 minutes a side.
5) Bake in the skillet at 350 for 15-25 minutes.
6) Rest 10 minutes.

This has worked really well, but I'm looking for new recipes. What else can I do with a pork tenderloin?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good advice. I'll just do anchovie on a cracker for myself, and leave the anchovies off the salad.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the advice on pork tenderloin. I have 6 of them in the freezer. I'll try the butterfly tomorrow.

Now I have a bigger problem: I invited two people to join my wife and I for dinner. My wife invited her boss, who then invited their co-workers, who then invited all their husbands. Instead of cooking for four people, I'll be cooking for thirteen people. I've never cooked for more than eight people in my life. Any tips?

Here's the menu:

Appetizers
Boar sausage (store bought)
Cheese (store bought, whatever's in stock in the cheese shop)
Guacamole (made by my wife) and chips
Diced cantaloupe

Main Course
Pork tenderloin (3, prepared in different ways)
Ratatouille (questions below)
Basil flatbread
Caprese salad

Dessert
Apple Cobbler
Peach Cobbler
Cherry Cobbler (this whole thing started because I haven't made cobbler in a long time)
Whipped cream (homemade, of course)

I've never made ratatouille, but I have made a stew of zuchini, tomatoes and bell peppers. How much harder can ratatouille be? I'm talking about the "diced veggies cooked separately then stirred together," not "thin discs arranged in a spiral and pretty but takes way too long" variety.
I can make almost everything before the guests arrive. I need to make the caprese right before it's served. And I'd like to make the pork tenderloin no more than half an hour before serving. What about the ratatouille? Can I make it a few hours beforehand? Or does it need to be hot off the stove?

gently caress, this is stressful. And expensive. At least the guests are in charge of all the drinks.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pork ribs in the pressure cooker vs pork ribs in the oven. No, I don't have a smoker or a grill.
I've made ribs in the oven before (like this). They turned out pretty well. A few weeks I bought an Instant Pot. I've not made ribs in it.
Today I have a rack of ribs. Should I make them in the oven or try a pressure cooker recipe?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's the best way to get a mcribwich texture

Ugh. Ok, ribs are in the oven now.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good brand for canned fava beans? Or peeled dried favas?

Peeling each individual fava bean is a pain in the rear end, especially when I'm making something as simple as fuul madaames. I don't mind the flavor and texture, so I usually just leave the skins on. My wife hates the skins and won't eat them with the skins on.

So I'm going to buy (please don't hit me) canned fava beans. I just need beans that are cooked and peeled with no spices. Amazon has this deal on Progresso fava beans, 24 cans for $44. It sounds like a good deal. Your thoughts?

Or scratch all the above and give me an easier way to soften the fava skins.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best way to make a pitcher of margaritas or other Mexican cocktails for a dinner party?

On September 16, I'm hosting a dinner party for Mexican Independence Day. 8-12 people total. I can make good margaritas and pina coladas one/two glasses at a time with a cocktail shaker. But I don't want to make people wait while I make them individually. Could I just pour 3 cups of tequila, 2 cups of Cointreau, and a cup of lime juice in a pitcher and stir? Any issues if it's made a few hours ahead of time?

Also, what's a decent bottled lime juice? I'm not going to juice dozens of limes by hand for this. Actually, I probably end up juicing dozens for the salsas and pozoles I'm making. So I'll be sick of it by the time I start playing bartender.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

There is no substitute for fresh lime juice, period. Make a friend help. If you juice them ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the fridge because the flavors will start to go off immediately. You can't do it the day before. For a pitcher that serves 5, mix 250ml good 100% agave tequila, 100ml fresh lime juice, and 150ml agave syrup diluted with water to about 50/50, and a shitload of ice. You may need to adjust to taste based on lime quality. Do not make this ahead of time, do not add Cointreau or any other orange bullshit.

"Cointreau or other orange bullshit" is an essential part of a margarita. Lime, agave syrup, and tequila sounds tasty, but that's just lemonade.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

That was by far the funniest thread I ever read on SA

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Sauce recommendation.

I'm making a main dish of brown rice, toasted pumpkin seeds, and roast broccoli. This isn't from a recipe; it's just improvising.

It sounds tasty but a bit dry. What's a decent sauce to put on it? I could do plain old soy sauce, or soy/sesame oil? Maybe a thai peanut sauce? How hard is that to make?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

I use the Serious Eats spatchock turkey recipe every year. Because the turkey is split open, it won't have the visual appeal of a whole roast turkey. But it comes out delicious. The recipe's instructions for prepping the bird are also really great.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I came across a You Tube video for Pasta with Olive Oil and Garlic. It looks incredibly (deceptively) simple. With only four ingredients, it seems to rely on really good technique and would be a good way for me to practice. It also looks like a template for a zillion different pasta sauces:

Cook spaghetti. Don't throw out the water.
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add thinly sliced garlic.
Just as the garlic starts to brown, turn off the heat and add some pepper flakes.
Add pasta and a little bit of pasta water to thicken it.
Add parsley and lemon juice.

It seems like it would be really to burn the garlic. Any tips for avoiding that?
What other ingredients could I mix and match with the garlic? Sun-dried tomatoes? Spinach? Other veggies? Maybe herbs like sage or oregano?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
What are some decent brands of craft chocolate (in the US)? I've really never had anything better than Godiva. I'm curious to try the expensive craft chocolate I read about, but I don't have many gourmet stores near me. Is there a place online where I can order it? And some brands that make really tasty chocolate and not just overpriced Hersheys?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Tricks for making a fruit sorbet?

I'm hosting a dinner party tomorrow and want to serve something fruity and sweet in chocolate cups*. I've never made sorbet/gelato/ice cream before. Some of the sorbet recipes look pretty simple.

Could I just freeze equal amounts of raspberries and bananas, then blend (immersion blender) with some condensed milk and/or coconut milk just before serving? Could I riff off the "freeze a fruit, mix with something creamy, blend, serve" with whatever fruit I like? Will ice crystals ruin it if I make it a few hours before?

*Melt chocolate, dip a half-inflated balloon, freeze until solid, pop the balloon. It sounds cheesy, but it's a neat little touch.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

89 posted:

Cooking dinner for the first time for a girl I've been seeing lately tomorrow. Honestly, it's been a while I've actually cooked for someone other than myself. I'm usually more worried about building macros and calorie counts for myself.

So, figured spaghetti is a good safe choice

Anybody have a recipe that would melt her face off?

Roast a whole chicken. It's brain-dead easy, but people who don't cook a lot think it's incredibly difficult. Put it in the oven before she arrives so she doesn't see how easy it is. Tell her you're using Gordon Ramsey/Jamie Oliver/Anthony Bourdain's preferred method. It will knock her socks (and possibly everything else) off.

Easiest version I know: Pull the chicken out of the bag, and don't forget to pull the neck and giblets out of the middle of the chicken. Dry the whole thing with paper towels. Melt a stick of butter, stir in a bunch of salt, and smear that all over the chicken (use your hands). Bake at 450 for about 60 minutes, but use a thermometer to make sure it's really done. Nothing is less sexy than cutting open a chicken and watching hot red blood stream all over cold pink meat. 165 degrees in the middle of the thigh.

There are a million and one other ways to roast a whole chicken: marinate in yogurt; jam lemons and herbs in the body cavity; the list goes on. The above is the easiest way, and it will still be delicious.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Rough estimate on what percentage of a whole chicken is meat and skin? I've heard 60%. So a whole chicken at $3/pound is about the same price as boneless chicken pieces at $5/pound.

We regularly buy a whole chicken for roasting as a main dish. We also buy boneless breasts/thighs for other dishes. We think it might be cheaper to buy another whole chicken and cut it up than to buy the boneless bits. We're trying to quantify it. So what percentage of that whole chicken is actual, tasty meat?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I have more chicken broth than I know what to do with. We've been roasting a whole chicken each week for the last few months, then boiling the carcass for broth. Even after freezing (and throwing out what didn't get used in time), I have almost a gallon of the stuff in my fridge. And I'm about to roast another chicken. Help me use it all.

I've already made enough roux-based chicken gravy to put gravy on everything. What about soup? Is there a good chicken soup recipe that's thick and creamy rather than thin and watery?

Substitute broth for water when baking? This sounds incredibly nuts, but I'm going to try it. The strained, lightly colored broth is 99% water, so it should bake ok. It might taste like crap, though.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Reduce it before you store it. I make chicken stock whenever I have a couple of chicken carcasses saved up, make the stock and reduce it until I get about 50-100ml from them, it's a rich dark brown colour and when you or it in the fridge it becomes like stiff jelly. Cut this into cubes and freeze them, you have literal stock cubes that you can put into everything.

I'm probably not reducing it enough. When I have a chicken skeleton, I simmer it in water until it reduces to anywhere from 3 cups to 8 cups of liquid; I improvise every time. 8 cups from one carcass looks like the golden-almost-clear liquid you get from store-bought broth. 3 cups is a deep brown. I should add that I never strain my stock. I take out the bones and the big veggies. But I think the tiny bits of skin/meat/spices give it texture and flavor.

Pro-tip: Label your stock with the date, and always taste a bit before you cook with it. I had two identical plastic containers of stock in my fridge. I knew one was 5 days old and the other was about two weeks old. They looked the same and had no label. I picked one at random and sipped a spoonful of it. Couldn't swallow it. Spent five minutes dry-heaving over the sink. Very happy I tried it before I ruined the rice I was about to make.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I made Sugar Cream Pie for the first time, following the recipe on Serious Eats. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/hoosier-sugar-cream-pie-recipe.html

Described as "creme brulee in a pie," it had wonderful flavor but runny, not solid, consistency. The main ingredients were flour, sugar (lots of sugar), and cream. I found variations that completely omit the flour and add cornstarch and butter. Given its custard-like flavor, I expected to see egg yolks in the ingredient list, but no joy.

If you wanted to make a sweet creamy pie which of those variations would you make:
--Flour, sugar, and cream
--Butter, cornstarch, sugar, and cream
--Egg Yolks, sugar, and cream

I think my HDL levels went up while I was typing this question

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Non-dairy replacements for cheese on a pizza?

I'm going to host a pizza night for my friends. I'll make a ball of pizza dough for each invitee that's enough for a 10-inch pizza. Then a buffet lineup of different sauces, cheese, and toppings. Each person gets to make their own creation and share with the group.

The problem is that two people are lactose-intolerant. One can handle a bit of cheese. The other can't touch dairy without a horrible upset stomach. What non-cheese coverings can I offer? Are any of the 'veggies' cheeses worth a drat?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
When I go to the grocery tomorrow, I'll see what brands of vegan cheese and non-lactose cheese are available. Then you can let me know if you're familiar with these brands.

What do you think of these options for pizza night?

Sauce station:
--Traditional tomato sauce (DOP San Marzano simmered with just a touch of olive oil and garlic)
--Barbecue Sauce (Store-bought, I can't do any better than Stubb's Original)
--Basil Pesto (store-bought because pine nuts are expensive; or maybe subbing almonds for pine nuts)

Cheese station:
--Mozzarella
--Smoke Cheddar
--Goat Cheese
--Non-dairy option

Meat station:
--Columbus pepperoni
--Spanish-style chorizo
--Prosciutto
--Smoky pulled pork

Veggie Station:
--Roasted Red Peppers
--Baby bella mushrooms
--Red Onions
--Jalapenos

With only one oven, it's not possible to cook every pizza at the same time. Instead, each person in turn makes their own unique pizza, then shares it with the group while the next person makes one. Winner gets a door prize. Whatever ingredients are left over get tossed in one giant (potentially gross) stoner calzone.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

spankmeister posted:

It's a fun idea!

I would like to point out that using BBQ sauce on a pizza is an affront and must not be tolerated.

NY style pizza with KC style barbeque sauce, smoked cheddar cheese, and smoked pulled pork is awesome. Not authentic at all, but really delicious.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Can biscuit dough be made ahead of time?

I want to make chicken and biscuits sandwiches for supper tomorrow. I want fluffy, hot, fresh from the oven biscuits. But after work I only have a short time to prepare food. And I'm a slowpoke when preparing any kind of bread.

I will have some free time in the morning before work. Could I make the dough (including rolling it and folding it several times) around 6am, store it in the fridge, then bake it around 6pm?

I'm sure the answer would be "yes" for any yeast bread. But for a dough with baking soda, I don't know if the baking soda will still be active after sitting in a wet dough all day.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

It kinda works but the texture will be different than a freshly mixed and baked biscuit. More cake like.
You can mix the dry including cutting the butter or other fat into the dry stuff and pre measure the wet and have it ready to mix when you get home.

That should save some time. As long as the butter stays cold and solid it shouldn't react with the baking powder, right?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Does anybody else think the food wishes guy has an incredibly annoying voice?

I really like his voice. It makes complex recipes a little less intimidating. Like when he pauses after a step, then admits that he fudged a measurement or didn't measure at all.

I watch a lot of Gordon Ramsey's YouTube videos, and a lot of Jamie Oliver's as well. I think there's a Ramsey/Oliver spectrum to food videos. On the Ramsey end are videos that are kinda to show you how to cook something, but really to show you how smart, precise, and just better than you the host is. On the Oliver end are videos to make you relax and have a good time while cooking something relatively easy but drat tasty. Chef John definitely falls on the Jamie Oliver end of the spectrum, and I like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Herbs in pizza dough? Maybe, no, or hell no?

I make this pizza dough recipe from the New York Times. It's easy to make and tastes really drat good.

I'm finally having the pizza party I've been posting about. One dough ball for each guest. Bowls of sauce, plates of cheese, trays of toppings, really hot oven. Everybody gets to make their own pizza.

For variety, I'm thinking of messing with the dough. The simplest thing would be to mix herbs in some of the dough balls. Rosemary in this one, basil in that. I know it's completely non-traditional, but I'll take taste over authenticity any day.

What do you think? If someone gave you a 12 inch pizza with rosemary in the dough, how would you react?