Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Hey dudes, I have a citrus tree out back that's hardy enough to grow in northeast GA (near Athens). It has long spines on the branches and produces golf ball sized fruit that starts out green and ripens to bright yellow with a little fuzz on the fruit. The fruits are full of seeds (like 15-20 seeds per fruit) and have an opaque bright yellow-orange juice that is quite tart but not as tart as, say, a common lime. Is it a bitter lemon tree? I have no idea, but I wanna do stuff with it cause it's right outside the kitchen door behind the house.

Am I gonna die if I use the juice for things? I wanna play with the flavor and color of it, but I'm not totally sure what plant it is, exactly. Any ideas? I can take pictures later if anybody needs me to, I was just thinking about it and figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Can you post a picture please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Okay, here are the pictures of the tree out back.
Tree with fruit on it:

Fruit in my hand:

Size of the thorns (they're sharp enough to really hurt if you're not paying attention and run into the tree at all):

Like I said, there are probably 15-20 seeds in each of those fruits and hardly any actual flesh. You get probably a tsp or two of juice out of one, and it's an opaque orangish yellow. The rind is pretty thick and has a little fuzz on it. I just want to be sure it's safe to eat before I go pick all the ripe fruits off to make fancy colored gin cocktails and mojo sauce with the juice.

Bitter orange.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pretty much. Salsa chicken is terrible and should forever be a haram suggestion.

On the other hand, everyone make the rabbit recipe above - that is pretty good looking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Always a good choice.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You're in the UK though? Your peppers just won't be as hot. But that's ok they will still taste good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Is it possible to make a whole wheat pie crust that's a real pie crust? As in flaky and light...I think it might be impossible to achieve the same effect. Does anyone know why that is?

You can do it - you just need really finely milled whole wheat. I think Bob's Red Mill has some. Also, you'll need to up the lard content a bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dane posted:

More chili questions: I have a ton of habaneros on my plants now, way more than I can eat, and I don't have much time to do stuff with them. Will they freeze well if I just cut them and bag them?

Yes, but their texture suffers a bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dane posted:

Thanks guys, I'm running around like a headless chicken these days, so with my luck I'd burn all the chiles if I tried my hand at drying them out. So freezer it is. Just pop em in whole, or de-stem and -seed first?

Whole.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

"'potato' and 'jam' as parameters"??? What does that even mean? You're cooking for someone who is either extremely silly about food or for someone who is screwing with you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm having a hard time finding Field Corn for making Hominy. The Spanish markets have dried and fresh masa, but no plain dried corn.

Is there any reason why I can't just go to the farm supply store and buy a bag of horse feed?

All you'll find at a feed store is cracked corn, which you don't want.

At the Mexican market, they should have plain dehydrated hominy, if it's the end result you're looking for. If you just want to try your hand at nixtamalization, then you can probably see if you can find some from a natural foods store.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I didn't buy Pickling Lime for nothing!

A "Natural Foods Store"?

Didn't Wholefoods put them all out of business? I haven't seen one in years.

They're around if you look - they'll usually be co-ops, etc. Otherwise, you can probably just get field corn seed, but you'll be buying 100 pounds at a time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This would be a good post for a chat thread, but, here we are:monocle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I wonder if that would work in a traditional blender?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never use fat in my tamale dough. 2-1 might be fine, nut it's going to vary based on how hydrated your masa is already, etc. It should be a bit sticky, but workable if you have wet hands.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Do you whip the dough until it passes "the float test"?

Seems impossible to make it float without some fat.

I just mix it until combined? I've never done a float test or anything like that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mix masa with salt, baking powder, and boiling water. Work dough until well combined, and smooth, let it sit for a while, then fill husks with it and add whatever filling I plan on using. Tie them off and steam them for like 45 minutes or an hour or something, or until everything is done. Sorry my instructions aren't more exact - it's a thing done totally by feel.

Now, if I'm making tamales sans filling, then I add lard and sugar and raisins and what have you, so I suppose I shouldn't have said I NEVER add fat, but I don't when I'm making savoury filled tamales.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I totally get that... the lady who taught me how to make salsa and cerviche was the same way.

I didn't realize that you are buying dried, milled masa. I'm trying to make it from scratch, so there is a lot more to gently caress up.

Well, good luck with it. I see buying masa harina is like buying flour - yes, I COULD grind it myself, but this is a convenience I will allow myself.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Saeku posted:

Is there any legitimate use for nutritional yeast? By "legitimate" I mean nothing that includes the word "healthy," "superfood," or "cheeze."

It is SPECTACULAR on popcorn.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes green peppers turn purple then red, sometimes they turn purple when they're fully ripe, sometimes they turn red without turning purple.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Coriander should be going in a lot of your Mexican cooking. Bake with the cardamom and use it in chai.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Whole? Because I have a fair amount of ground stuff already, and I was hoping to make use of the whole seeds.

I don't do any authentic Mexican cooking, really. Taco night probably doesn't count. But I suppose I could learn :)

My husband will like that, he's a big chai fan. Thanks!

Ground. I can't think of a lot of whole uses for it actually.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EVG posted:

I'm confused about how the curry part starts:

The ingredients seem to indicate that you use 1 whole small pie pumpkin for the curry, but the instructions look like you used some pumpkin here, and some there. Clarification?

Depends on the size of your pumpkin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

homerlaw posted:

I have a pumpkin out in my back garden that's half green and half orange, is it okay to eat, and if so, will it being green change its taste?

Why do you want to eat it now? Is there a frost coming which will kill your plant?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It is leavened. That's one of the things that makes it taste good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chard posted:

1 Tbsp Coconut Milk = Saturated Fat 3.2g (16% Daily Value)

I'm not saying that it isn't delicious, or that you shouldn't use it, but be aware that it tastes good because it's bad for you.

It's not bad for you. I wish people wouldn't perpetuate the whole "only things that are bad for you taste good." In reality, there isn't really any "bad for you" food outside of modern industrialized nonsense.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

That's true, but we were talking about saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol.

I'm sure there's a shoddy contrarian study out there saying saturated fat doesn't affect cholesterol, but I'm going to trust the overwhelming consensus in the medical community, and my own personal experience, and say that it does.

Edit: ^^^thanks mediaphage.

It's still not a problem. Otherwise everyone in south India would be dying of heart attacks every day but last I checked they have a growing population. Which brings us back to the Doritos.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF COCONUT MILK COCONUT MILK IS TASTY.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

And add a little beef or lamb stock at the end and cook down to glaze.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Rockzilla posted:

I bought some dried hibiscus the other day without knowing what to do with it. I made a hibiscus-lime soda that turned out pretty good. I might try another batch, adding ginger and sichuan pepper to the mix but I've still got a bunch of hibiscus sitting around. Any suggestions on what else to do with it?

Make tea with it. The best thing, though, is to candy it and then mix it into icecream.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just keep my butter in the butter dish. It's usually 4-6 days to go through a stick, and it keeps perfectly fine in the cabinet. And it's so easy to spread on toast!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What should I put on my pizza tonight? I already have mozzerella and tomatoes.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pnumoman posted:

What do you have as leftovers in your fridge? Or, what would you like to use up? Or is this a pre-shopping trip question?

It could be pre-shopping or pre thawing or pre whatever. I don't usually have leftovers hanging around in the fridge, and I'm just not feeling very inspired for tonight. I have some collard greens in the garden still, but that's about all I can think of.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Genius.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Make little tiny one meatball sandwiches.

You get no bread with one meatball.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Trout is an awesome fish.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What It Dooski posted:

Anyone got a good breakfast idea for a large group? There will be about 20 people, mostly hungover college kids, and price is not that limiting of a factor, but cheaper is better. I have done a breakfast casserole, french toast and home made bacon before to good reviews, but I'd like to try something different. I considered eggs Benedict, but I wasn't sure if I could produce it on a large scale. Any ideas?

Cinnamon waffles with pecans and sorghum syrup.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shnooks posted:

You're the second person to mention that.

It's quite bitter and lends itself to very dense baked goods. It should only be used with other flours.

quote:

Honestly, I'm looking for a low carb option.

...oh.

quote:

Is it like kinako? I honestly haven't opened it up yet. I think Kinako tastes like peanut butter :3:

No, because soy flour in the US isn't generally roasted.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

How long can you refrigerate homemade egg nog before the eggs go weird? A week? I'm not putting any booze in it when I make it.

Depending on where you get your eggs, 1 day.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Don't take chances with dodgy eggs. And dodgy eggs come from most supermarkets.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

TheCIASentMe posted:

I've been using some cheap plastic kitchen tools for years now and I've lately been looking to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions for a good set of kitchen tools? I thought it would be simple but amazon has so many different sets: nylon, silicone, wood, stainless steel, etc.

Which type do you guys tend to prefer?

I use almost entirely bamboo, since it's cheap and tough and does the job well. Some ladels and such are in stainless, and I have a bunch of monkeywood utensils that are indestructable.

----------------

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of a German route. Hmm, with fried potatoes on the side? Yes, this could certainly work!

----------------