Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Can anyone recommend a good cheesecake recipe please? At the risk of sounding like a heathen (because I'm no cheesecake aficionado), I am a fan of the stuff at The Cheesecake Factory. There's a million copycat recipes on Google, but that's always hit or miss. Bonus points if it's layered with red velvet cake. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
How long will lightly used and filtered deep fryer oil (canola in this case) last in the refrigerator? It's been sealed off from light and air. I haven't deep fried in at least 6 months.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
How long can sous vide duck sit in the refrigerator before it's too late to freeze? I made two pieces late Monday night, chilled it in an ice bath and put it in the fridge. I finished off one piece today, and there's no way I can eat it again tomorrow -- so rich!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you left it sealed in the bag it can probably go a month.

Awesome, thanks :) Into the freezer it shall go!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
First attempt at making cheesecake and I forgot to butter the springform pan. How hosed am I? My only saving grace might be that it's completely new and "non-stick".

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

slavedaeva posted:

You should be fine. Even better if you're doing a NY or a berry topped. Worse case the filling will stick a bit as it's shrinking and crack. When you turn off the oven and crack it to let the cake cool take a peak, if you see any spots seriously attached use a metal spatula LIGHTLY around the edge to give it wiggle room. The crust may end up a bit more crumbly than you wanted, but will taste just fine.

Thanks :) I think it will release good enough. The edges aren't perfectly smooth but it looks like I'm free and clear from any cracks. Now I just need to resist cutting into it before Christmas.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I never bought fish before. I usually go food shopping at 7 or 8pm because of work and it avoids the soccer moms, but the seafood counter is closed by then. The refrigerator case has store-packaged cuts of fresh salmon that look fine. Is there anything wrong with buying those? I obviously can't smell them, but that wouldn't do much for me anyway since I can't tell bad from good.

Options B and C are clearly to go earlier or to a fish store, but hoping for convenience. If it helps, I'm about 30 minutes from NYC, so it's near the ocean and this place is fairly busy, so nothing really sits around long.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks for the fish tips! I am very excited to make something entirely new (to me).

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

THE MACHO MAN posted:

One: I've been having some issues with the dough getting some holes while running through the pasta machine.

I sprinkle and rub a little flour on my dough every few passes with the roller. You don't want it sticky for reasons you've experienced.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Lullabee posted:

We picked up two fresh artichokes on our way to Monterrey Bay today, and I'm completely lost as to what to make with them. I know there's the normal artichoke and spinach dip that everyone does, but I was hoping for maybe a side dish/main dish recipe I could use it in. Any suggestions?

Stuff them with breadcrumbs, cheese, etc and steam them. Something like this: http://www.italianchef.com/blog/2010/11/22/stuffed-artichokes/

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I'm thinking about buying some foie gras to sear up. Never had it before, or any type of liver for that matter, but have only heard good things. From Googling I've seen quite a range of cooking methods. Any recommendations? Tips?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

the three Cs: crispy (outside), creamy & cold (inside)

So, it's essentially raw inside? I like my beef rare, but I still hope I'm not in over my head :)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWHUi9fdBs&feature=related

Ok I watched (too) many foie gras searing videos, but this one is closest to what I've learned and successfully done in restaurants. I think the size is good, too.. somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 inches in thickness means you can sear for about 30-50 seconds per side and have it be awesome.

This looks awesome, thanks! I am pumped for this now :woop:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I've recently turned my parents on to the joy of sharp knives. My father has long been unhappy with electric carving knives, but every other knife he tried was old and dull, so it was always back to the electric meat shredding machine. I had him try my Shun chef knife and it rocked his world.

Father's day is rolling around and I wanted to get him a nice carving knife, but I'm afraid the Shuns are too prone to chipping. It's easy to avoid bones and always cut on wood, but one problem stands out. Accidentally running the blade into the carving fork. Is the answer to be more careful or get a less fragile knife?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Powdered Toast Man posted:

(anyone with any tips on annihilating fruit flies/gnats please let me know, I've tried several things already)
They lay eggs in the soil of house plants. I put some mild soap and water in a spray bottle and moistened the surface soil of every plant once a day for a couple weeks. Apparently you need to do it long enough to kill the current eggs and the ones the current generation will be laying. Good luck!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there a good guide for figuring out complementary flavors? I have an instinct with spices I use, but there are lots I don't know how to use and would like to, but I want some idea what I'm doing when I experiment instead of just using things randomly.

Yep. The Flavor Bible!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Speaking of frying, has anyone made gulab jamun before? People at work bring them in occasionally and I eat them until I develop diabetes and grow a walrus mustache. Not sure what'll happen if I learn to make them myself... I'm planning on trying this recipe: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2006/12/23/gulab-jamun/

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Regarding the IBS talk: Popping 2 beanos with every meal gave me my life back. I had crippling intestinal bloating and wouldn't properly digest most of my food. Gross. Doctors were pretty useless. Prescriptions worked until side effects from increasing dosages were worse than the IBS itself. Tried about every probiotic without much luck. VSL#3 worked the best, but is silly expensive and a pain to buy (needs to be kept cold).

But yeah, simple over the counter beano... magic (read: science). Obviously ymmv because "IBS" is vague as gently caress-all, but worth spending the $5 to spin the wheel. I don't know what I'd do without onions and garlic.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Maybe obvious, but any mixing meat and cheese issues with your guests?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

I never saw this cut of meat before, so I did the intelligent thing and bought it. It was labeled as "Beef Petite Striploin Roast" and Google never heard of it. Is this just the skinny end of a striploin roast?

Roast it? Give it a few hours in the puddle machine?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

CuddleChunks posted:

Watch every scrap of footage of Jacques Pepin, he's a marvel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDjmEaepyk

Then watch every video of Jacques and Julia cooking together: :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mtEoMFJ60
It's just so dang cute seeing them cook together.

I didn't switch tabs until about 20 seconds into that second video. Let me just say it was interesting...

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm out of extra virgin olive oil so it's time to buy more. Apparently 99% of the olive oil sold in stores is adulterated with motor oil by the Italian mafia or something? In any case I live in California and I've heard that Californian olive oils are better, or maybe just not awful, or they don't enrich the Godfather or something. Assuming I don't want to spend $800, are there any brands I should be buying or is my whole "just buy whatever's on sale" strategy more or less fine?

Consumer reports did an article on this a few months ago. I think Kirkland (Costco) and trader joes ranked high. I've been meaning to check them out because the stuff I have is poo poo and was ranked near the bottom.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

tuyop posted:

I have a pork tenderloin with a bit more fat than usual on it. Should I trim it?

That's actually a boneless pork loin roast, right?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

ashgromnies posted:

How cook broccoli rabe? I have some pork side I think would go well with it, but I don't know how best to prep it.

Also, making mayo with three week old egg: good or bad idea? It sinks in a cup...

Clean the broccoli rabe well because it can be sandy. Drain and shake off the water, but don't dry completely. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat with a few shakes of crushed hot pepper. Smash a bunch of garlic cloves and lightly brown in the pan. Throw in your still damp broccoli rabe and cover for a few minutes so it can steam a bit. Be careful here because the oil can splatter, so don't do a leaf at time; just throw it all in. Toss with tongs so it's coated nicely. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've never tried putting an egg in water, but they generally last for-friggen-ever in the refrigerator. Crack it open in a separate bowl and give it a sniff. You'll know if it's bad.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

Have you ever had broccoli rabe before? I ask because if you do this method (which I wholly recommend) WITHOUT blanching the broccoli rabe first, you may find it extremely bitter and unpleasant. I would suggest that you blanche the broccoli rabe first:

Of course, many times. As a matter of fact, I've been finding broccoli rabe to be lacking in bitterness quite often lately. I only blanch if I am holding it for the next day before sauteing. It keeps a nice green the way I mentioned as long as you don't overcook it. As far as the bitterness goes, that's the appeal, in my opinion, to broccoli rabe. I'd just eat broccolini or broccoli if I didn't want the bitterness. I never noticed a flavor difference between blanching or not either.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, apologies -- I meant to quote the original question, not your response. I'd rather the first-time rabe eater try blanching first rather than be turned off by the potential bitterness.

No worries, and that's a really good point about first-time eaters. I've been eating broccoli rabe since I was a child, and it definitely wasn't love at first taste.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Keep fruits away from fruits if you don't want them to ripen. Or keep them in the open so the ethylene can disperse.

I have single bananas scattered throughout my apartment to slow them down. It looks ridiculous, but I love bananas when they have green tips. I absolutely hate when they pass that stage because it tastes too strong and the texture is off putting. There is a 1 or 2 day window where they're great. Any way to slow them down even more?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

GrAviTy84 posted:

It really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

fake edit, oh good he condensed it down and got rid of the douchey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M

Awesome. That pretty much just added a few days to my life.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Fenrir posted:

I'm looking for a Boston butt roast. I used to find them all the time in the south, but oddly enough I can't find one in NY. I'm guessing they call them something different here (maybe because they really hate Boston up here? I don't know.) If so, anyone know the name they use?

I rarely see it called that here. Look for pork shoulder.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I need help identifying some CSA greens:

A: Swiss Chard
B: ?
C: ?
D: ?
E: ?

First week doing this thing. Not really thrilled with the quality. Kind of just had a box full of poo poo and a moldy head of lettuce.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks guys. I sauteed A and C together with some butter, salt, pepper and squeeze of lemon. Tasted pretty much like spinach, but with more texture. Some fresh garlic (so tiny!), garlic scapes, red scallions and bok choy went into a shrimp stir fry.

Do CSAs typically start off slow? I'm enjoying the variety, but the quantity leaves a bit to be desired. Still fun to try new things at least.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
What am I going to do with a bunch of rhubarb if I don't want to make desserts or jam?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Hed posted:

edit: thanks for the kickstarter link. Just ordered another SVmachine because why not?

Just did the same thing for the same reason.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Liar posted:

For reference eggs around here cost me about a dollar a dozen. The farmer's market sells them for $3.50 a dozen.

I honestly don't notice a taste difference with the eggs I'm getting from my CSA. The different shapes and sizes are kind of interesting. That said, I would not be shocked if my CSA buys half their poo poo from a supermarket.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I have a bunch of tomatillos and want to make some green salsa. Has anyone used this recipe? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fire-Roasted_Tomatillo_Salsa

Open to other recipes or entirely different uses too.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks for the good ideas. The chile verde looks great, and fortunately I have enough tomatillos to allow me to make both.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

FaradayCage posted:

Does anyone know why skirt steak is never on sale?

All of the better cuts (T-bone, ribeye, strip) often go on sale for about 50%-70% of the shelf price (which is $10-$14) at every grocer I've been to. But that skirt steak price has stood like a stone at $8.49/lb for years. I've never even seen panic sales for when it's about to expire.

I assume the other sales are partially about perception, but it seems weird that skirt is exempt.

This is Florida, US - in case that matters.

My guess is a combination of low supply and rise in popularity over the years.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Is there any particular reason for an onion half vs just mincing the hell out of the onion or using a hand blender to get it to a consistency that you want?

Yep. "Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta."

Haha, this part is classic:

quote:

Correction: September 30, 2013

An earlier version of this recipe excluded two items from the ingredients list: 5 tablespoons of butter, and salt.

It was a can of tomatoes before the correction.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Eeyo posted:

I bought a carbon steel pan recently (It's pretty much a really flat wok). It's unseasoned, but how much do I need to clean it before I season it? I gave it a good soap and scrub to remove the oil stuff it had on, but it's still fairly dark. In the center of the pan, water doesn't bead anymore, which I take to be a sign that it's pretty well & clean, but it's still way darker than I expected. There's also splotches of darker areas and lighter areas. Should I scrub it more? Heat it up? I'd give a picture but it's really hard to photograph dark things like that.
My pan came with instructions to boil potato peels in water for 15 minutes or something. It seemed to leach out all sorts of black poo poo. Flax seed oil is really awesome for seasoning, but it's a bit pricey and might be difficult to find (compared to other oils).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Anybody have a baklava recipe to share?

A guy at work brought some in from a bakery a couple months ago and I've been craving more ever since. It had a really diabeetus-inducing bottom and crispy top. To reproduce I'm guessing I should pour the honey/syrup over the nut layer and then build up more layers with just butter? I never worked with phyllo dough so not sure if that'll burn or not. Any guess on how many layers the bottom should have? I figure I can try counting the top layers to get close enough for that part.