Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Croatoan posted:

So why were great threads like the cheese thread, the Indian thread, the industry thread (holy crap, some of us work in the FOOD industry) and the bread thread? I don't see how these needed to be in the culling. I'm not mod sassing, I just don't see why those in particular were cut when threads like the vegan thread are a-ok?

Compare the OP of this Chinese Cooking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

with the cheese thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088948

One is a "here are pantry items, what to do with them, a list of recipes etc." and the other is "cheese exists."

There is no reason any thread can't be restarted, with a better OP aimed at education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't find the "is this safe to eat??" thread and I am pretty sure it's not, so I'm more interested in what went wrong - I bought a container of goat's milk feta in brine yesterday, and when I went to make my lunch for today I reached into the brine and the cheese was... goopy - almost like a chevre texture. I tasted a little of the goop thinking it was just sort of particles making a sludge on the surface, and it had a very strong taste of bleu cheese. Not revolting, just not what you would expect from feta.

I'm still alive, so I guess my way of thinking is that this cheese must have been colonized by a strain of something in the factory. I didn't have time today but I plan to e-mail the company (Silani) with the lot number and all.

I don't know, has this happened to anyone? I'm kind of miffed to be out the money and an incomplete salad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SubG posted:

The brine has leached calcium from the cheese. This common in all brined cheeses, not just feta---it's also the reason fresh mozzarella can get slimy, for example. The solution (so to speak) is to use a brine that already contains calcium in solution. A common approach if you're doing your own cheesemaking is to use leftover whey in the brine. Commercially I assume they just add calcium chloride to the brining solution.

In any case, almost certainly safe, just gross.

So a helvetica scenario for cheese, but how does that explain the taste?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
No, this was a "dithering over which type to buy" moment and I went with a new one - it tasted exactly like a bleu cheese which is why I wonder if there was a fungus introduced. I couldn't even tell you if it was salty from the brine, it was overwhelming. It wasn't a taste I would ever have associated with feta, from cow, sheep or goat.