Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Humboldt squid posted:

I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something?

Vacu vin and keep it in the fridge. Fridging a red would be bad for a wine you plan on drinking, but you'll be cooking with it, so it's fine, and slows its spoiling.
http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-3-Piece-Saver-Stopper/dp/B00004SAF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316414844&sr=8-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

Sounds like you possibly have a Calamansi. However, from your description of just the tree (not the fruits) you perfectly described my parents' thorny tangerine.

golf ball sized is too big to be calamansi, my parents and all their friends have calamansi trees and the fruit is sized more like a large marble.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Neko Sou posted:

I feel like this belongs here more than the Watch and Woot thread but I have a bad feeling I'll be chased out of here with pitchforks and torches for asking... but does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers and WW-friendly recipes? I've been making things like tuna noodle casserole and I'd kind of like to fancy it up a bit more than that. The problem is you can't really use as much of the delicious stuff (olive oil, butter, cheese, breadcrumbs) in the quantities you'd usually want, so you're a little handicapped.

On that note, I've been kind of thinking about making my own sushi at home. Sushi is allowed on weight watchers (in the right quantities/with the right ingredients, obviously) My husband had a really crappy spicy tuna roll last night (sloppily assembled, really crappy sauce--usually I don't like spicy mayo but this stuff had no spice at all) and I started to think I could probably do it better myself. I know you need sashimi or sushi grade fish, and while I'm not sure if we have a great selection at the usual grocery stores in my small little town there is a huge international grocery store nearby(Jungle Jim's, for anyone in Ohio) that is almost guaranteed to have the proper cut of fish. But I'm a little nervous about working with raw fish. I feel like if it's from a reputable place and the right grade it should be fine, but I dunno. Thoughts?

To my recollection (my parents had great success on WW), Weight Watchers is just counting calories simplified into a points system. If that's still the case, people here will (or should) generally have more respect for it than something stupid like paleo/raw/keto/southbeach/cabbagesoup diets.

Don't be afraid of raw fish, your eyes and nose will tell you if you shouldn't eat it. Fish should not smell "fishy" it should smell clean and like seawater. The flesh shouldn't be pasty it should be firm. From frozen is fine, in fact, since you live in Ohio, I'd be willing to bet that all of the fish you find there for sashimi comes in the back door frozen, both at supermarkets, and at restaurants. If I were just starting making sushi, I'd be more worried about getting the rice right, because that's where most people, including restaurants, mess up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Skavoovee posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for a foie gras replacement? I don't have a specific recipe in mind, I'm just looking for something that isn't liver and can approximate the richness and other characteristics of it.

I tried Googling for this, but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks.

sorry, you're SOL. Foie gras is seriously unique, nothing else tastes like it, let alone something not liver... Michel Richard does a "Faux Gras" with chicken liver and a shitton of butter, but it's more of a pate or terrine, I wouldn't go cutting a slab of it for searing off or anything, especially because it's, like, 80% butter.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CoolZidane posted:

Basically, what advice do you guys have for a newbie chef with a reluctance against vegetables?

A few years ago, I came to the realization that if people have eaten certain foods (that I didn't like for whatever reason) on a regular basis throughout history, it had to be because they are actually good, and that my taste was what was wrong and broken. After I came to this realization, it was all about acquiring tastes for me. My worldview changed from "That's not good, I don't like it," to "I'm sure it's good, why don't I like it?" and made it a habit to try things that I thought I didn't like, over and over again, until I did. Prime examples that I am glad I am over my hatred of: Eggplant, Beets, Sauerkraut, Tripe, Tendon, Fennel, Cilantro, bitter greens, and the list goes on.

The short answer, and I mean this in the nicest way possible: Life's too short and there are too many delicious things in the world for someone to waste their time being picky. Get over it...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

alucinor posted:

My mushroom box did jack poo poo all year, and now after I'd given up and ignored it for three weeks I find it's given me this:

They certainly look like winecaps, which is what the box was seeded with. However, these are my first ever mushrooms, so I'd appreciate some confirmation that they're not some deadly look-alike before I poison myself with them. I'm in Wisconsin if it matters.

Google how to take a sporeprint. And acquire,via library or whatever, a mycology field guide.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 25, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

Can I use freezer-burned meat to make jerky? I figure since I'm going to be marinating it for a couple of days then drying it out, it shouldn't matter too much that it's freezer burned.

Confirm/deny?

you can if you want to, but it will taste less like meat and more like your freezer does.

Averrences posted:

This might be really basic for a thread like this, but what do you really ensure that you have in your fridge for every week? (besides like milk, eggs, butter and bread) I've found that I only really have enough to make just pasta and a basic tomato sauce for evening meals, but doing that every single day with no vegetables is likely to gently caress me up in the long run.

I think this thread will go as basic as anyone wants to go, so don't worry about it. As far as pantry/fridge stocking, it depends on the cuisine you tend to cook more often. For instance, I usually have a large quantity of things like ginger in mine, which to some people, would be more of a buy-as-needed item. If you're just starting in cooking, pick a cuisine that you would like to learn, and build a pantry around it, then you can branch out to closely related foods, for instance italian -> spanish. As far as veggies are concerned. If you live close enough to the grocery store, you might want to consider just buying less, but more often. Certain veggies just last longer in the fridge than others, too. Kale/Collards last for a very long time, cilantro is on the way out the door practically the day you buy it. Others, honestly, don't need to be refrigerated at all, squash, potatoes and other root veg, peppers, tomatoes, all should stay on the counter and consumed as quickly as possible. Also, certain vegetables are actually better froze, more often than not. Peas are a prime example of this.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 25, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Here's a dumb question! How do I start eating green vegetables.

For years they made me literally puke in my mouth on contact, but recently I've tried them and liked them; I guess I'm a grownup now. But I have no idea how I should be getting my green beans, asparagus, brocolli etc. Are chedder soups really that bad? Is frozen really a problem? Just steam them all the time? Should I make this a thread? Please send help!

I really dig bitter greens, sauteed in a fat, bit of a salt, with a splash of an acid.

Examples: Kale, brown butter, gray salt, splash of lemon juice. Gai lan, sesame oil, splash of light soy, splash of chinkiang vinegar

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?

Needs butter or olive oil, a splash of sherry and a bit of lemon juice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Duh on the fat (but I should've mentioned that I use olive oil), will definitely try sherry and lemon.

Just letting you know, this is basically what you'll be making.
http://www.spain-recipes.com/ajillo-mushrooms.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's nothing wrong with truffle oil used sparingly. Sure it's not really made from truffles but it contains the stronger flavor compounds found in them. Sure it's no replacement for the real thing, but for everyday cooking there's no reason to hate it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yes posted:

Yeah, there's not enough gluten because you didn't knead it. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a no-knead bread, but dang.

Kneading is only one way to develop gluten, time is another. The no knead method uses time to develop gluten, this is a very well tested method of making bread.

These are all no knead breads with perfectly fine gluten formation and crumb structure:

Also:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=no+knead+bread&m=text

Casu's answer is the right one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm attempting to raise my skill in spicing things and making spice blends. I am interested in experimenting with a bunch of different combinations, but just tasting the combination off the tip of my finger won't have the presence of salt and other things that would really impact how the spices taste at the end of cooking.

So, anyone know a simple way for me to test out spice blends without actually cooking something with it? I mean, even with Old Bay, having it straight up is way different than having it cooked with stuff.

Maybe toast?

Unfortunately, working with spices is just a thing you learn by experience. Depending on the medium you are spicing (fat, water, alcohol, acid, etc.) you will get different results. The best way to get familiar with how spices work in food is by starting with regional blends, and taking mental notes of how certain spices play with each other. Make a curry, then taste it, and smell it while also smelling a jar of each of the spices that went into it individually. See if you can pick out the components and how they come across in the curry. Do this for different curries from different areas of the world. Eventually you will get a feel for it. In terms of coming up with novel combinations, you can get "The Flavor Bible" which is a great resource to have when coming up with pairings.

Also, check this out: http://blog.khymos.org/tgrwt/ :science:

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 27, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Curry the collards in the style of palak paneer, but without the paneer. Put on pizza with cheese.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In the past, raw almonds were toxic. Cooking destroyed such toxins. And besides, roasted nuts taste way better than raw.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a high-quality non teflon cookie sheet/baking pan?

any reason why you want a teflon one? just get an aluminum one from a resto supply store for supercheap and use parchment paper or a silpat. Way better for you, the environment, and will last approximately a bazillion longer than a teflon sheet will.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

razz posted:

No, I said NON teflon :)

^^^ yeah what she said!

EDIT: I'm actually trying to think of something for my mom to get me for Christmas (she's bugging me already) and I can't really think of anything I need besides some sort of bakeware. I use cast iron exclusively but apparently they don't make cast iron cookie sheets but that'd be so badass if they did.

oh my bad, whirled peas has me assuming the worst from people. recommendation still stands, restaurant supply store half sheet pans and a silpat/foil/parchment

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you feel it's fine then keep making it. But you've been enticed to post here about it which leads me to believe you realize something is missing or could be a lot better. Like poteto said, challenge yourself to make it your own, a little bit at a time. At the very least stop using no boil noodles and jarlic. The texture of those noodles and the flavor of that jarlic is a caricature of the real thing. so what if the noodle breaks when handling? It's going to be smothered and what not, it's not that big of a deal.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Oh are we sharing thanksgiving menus?

Here's Mine so far:

Faux gras with parsley gelee
Herb and Lemon brined deep fried turkey
Merguez, leek, and fennel dressing
Sauteed green beans and pancetta
Potato dish, probably a dauphinois, but I'm pushing for something better, perhaps pommes pave.
no knead bread
risotto con funghi misti

Pumpkin bread pudding with vanilla creme anglaise
Sister's dessert TBD

As per usual, I'm probably biting off more than I can chew, food prep wise. Wondering if anyone has any fantastic potato dishes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

Not being an American, I'm sure I won't ever.

But still, it's such a weird thing to put in the middle of all those really lovely American-style dishes.

The only overtly American things I listed are the turkey and the dessert, but yeah I'm not too hot on risotto, family style. A lot of this is mostly my mom's brainstorming, and me trying to make her brainstorming into actual things. Being filipino, our thanksgivings are usually a hodgepodge of whatever multicultural things we feel like eating. Last year as some may remember, I made a paella negra for thanksgiving. Anyway wrt the risotto, Worse comes to worse, can make arancini the day after. We're already planning on making crispy pata the day after. friday fry day.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 20, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

How many people, grav? Do you have to do it french-style instead of russian-style?

French style? Russian style? :allears:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

How many people, grav?

8, two of them are kids. I am aware that is a lot of food for 6 adults and two kids.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kalista posted:

I'm trying my hand at shucking oysters tonight because 1) I love oysters and paying $3/each is a loving crime when a dozen cost $8.99 at the fishmongers and 2) I hope to impress the hell out of the guy I invited over for dinner.

I have some champagne vinegar at home, and some shallot. Is that all I should need for a nice vinaigrette for these lovely bivalves? Any other tips you'd like to throw in about oysters, or shucking them, etc?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mignonette-Sauce-15405

I like the tiniest bit of horseradish and a few drops of lemon on mine. Do you have an oyster knife? If not, get one, and use a towel. Remember that excessive force isn't your friend and will likely get you injured. You'll likely notice after a few that once you embed the tip in the right place (:quagmire:) it won't really require that much torque to pop open. Protect your free hand with a doubled up towel, and you should be good to go! Good luck with both the shucking and the gently caressing!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

WTF?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Ate enough South American food in Miami this past week to get really really into savory plantains. Plantain chips rule, and they should be easy to make. Wondering if the same would work for fries? As in, fry for a few minutes on a low temp, pat dry, ramp the temp high, and fry again?

Tostones are like this. Cut into 1 cm thick slices on a bias. Fry once. Take out and smash, then fry again.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I got a gnarly Indian Meal Moth problem at my old place after taking home a bag of infested rice once. Toss it or return it, ASAP.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

I keep seeing this -- what is it about steel-cut oats that make them so awesome? How are they different from, say, your basic Quaker Oats?

Steel cut on left, instant (rolled) on right. Steel cut oatmeal is just that, the grain is cut, much of the grain itself is still in tact. Instant oatmeal, or rolled oats, are pretty much run under a steam roller. The grain is demolished in favor of creating a quick cooking product. While instant oatmeal is great to bake with, as a stand alone product, steel cut is by far more pleasant to eat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, prep time for the steel cut is considerably longer, that is why it isn't well suited to baking, and why a lot of people like to put it in a slow cooker.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

heeebrew posted:

Anyone have a good chicken jerky recipe that'll work without a dehydrator? I have an oven though!

Any reason you want chicken over, say, a less likely source of salmonella?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Time Trial posted:

Anyone have a good peanut/cashew brittle recipe? Looking to do that for my holiday gifts this year.

I use AB's http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/peanut-brittle-recipe/index.html but with cashews, pistachios, or pine nuts and french onion soup mix

People bitch about it being difficult because it doesn't have the crystallization insurance of corn syrup, but I just say they suck. I've never had a problem with it :smugbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doubling what Wiggles said. Healthy eating is just eating a balanced diet, without over indulging. The irony is that a significant amount of "health" food (low fat, sugar free, etc) is actually worse for you than the real thing, all the while tasting worse, no matter how much your hippie aunt tells you it tastes the same.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Next time, just make it per serving, honey mustard isn't exactly the most difficult thing to make.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

General rule

someone posted:

I have [some sort of Asian leftovers], what should I do with it?

Make fried rice.

related:

someone posted:

I have [some sort of Continental leftovers], what should I do with it?

Make a pizza.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 29, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I roasted some vegetables tonight (potato, sweet potato, carrots, red onion cut into wedges), setting the oven to 425 and baking for about an hour; this seems to be inline with most of the recipes I've seen online.

Most of the onion came out either chewy or with a paper-like texture. Only a relatively small fraction managed to come out nicely caramalized. Did I cook them too long? At too high a temperature? The roasted veg recipies I came acros all just said to toss everything together so I'm not really sure why this didn't work.

Sounds like you didn't coat in a fat. Add a fat next time, and toss and mix them about halfway through. Butter is a standard one, EV olive was popular a few years ago, bacon fat is a nice goony way to go, duck fat makes quite possibly the best oven roasted potato.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Have you tried seared, but still raw, fish? The tunas take particularly well to this treatment (Albacore, Bluefin, Hamachi). Some people like to sesame crust theirs, I like mine seasoned with salt, seared on all sides very quickly on a very hot heat source. Then you can serve with a sesame soy vinaigrette and greens.

Have you tried different fillet-type dishes with fish other than tilapia and salmon? Monkfish, escolar, halibut, lingcod are all very tasty, beginner friendly fishes. Also be sure not to overcook the fish. Most fish can and should be served medium to medium well. Try stronger flavors, too. One of the most memorable fish dishes I've had was a grilled monkfish in a Thai red curry type sauce. Another, seared escolar with a truffled potato puree and chicken jus. A really tasty but still very easy preparation is to butter fry a fish, say halibut, with capers, garlic, and a spritz of lemon.

I do think it's kind of funny that you complain about fishy tasting fish, but your remoulade has anchovies in it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If it's available in your area, the best is California olive ranch. Otherwise, try la espanola, which may be in you ethnic section.

+1 for CA Olive Ranch. Their Arbequina extra virgin is the best dipping oil.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

varjoankka posted:

Decided to make pizza this weekend and that chorizo sausages would be the main ingredient. Now I need few suggestions what else should I use? Onions, blue cheese, olives or…?

spanish or mexican chorizo? If mexican (admittedly, most likely): crumbled chorizo, salsa de guajillo, oaxaca cheese, fire roasted sliced poblano chile, topped with fresh chopped cilantro and crumbled cotija right out of the oven.

If spanish, light drizzle of olive oil, a blend of 75% manchego 25% mozz, sliced chorizo, roasted leeks, topped with chopped fresh parsley a light drizzle of homemade aioli, and a bit of fresh grated lemon zest right out of the oven.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

varjoankka posted:

I think I'll go with this one, with the expection of leek, I hate leek, everybody should hate leek.

You are wrong. Leeks are awesome. Without the leek, that pizza will be unbalanced. Maybe grilled scallions? The idea is to be reminiscent of a calçotada. You are getting Spanish chorizo, not mexican chorizo right?

Cowcatcher posted:

How do you crumble chorizo? What kind of chorizo are you getting over there?

Your cheeseless pizza sounds bizzaro to me, you gotta at least put some sliced bocconcini on there

Depends on the chorizo. Spanish chorizo is a dry cured spiced sausage similar to peperone and soppressata. Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage, like a generic italian sausage you would get at a store. If you are in America and are casually perusing a grocery store, I'm about 95% sure you're talking about Mexican chorizo.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2011

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

Ahh I see. I'm in Canada, because of tons of Portuguese people in my area we only get (Portuguese-made) Spanish style chorizo, I've never seen the uncooked one for sale but now that you've mentioned it I do remember burrito shops use the softer variant

I am jealous. Spanish/Portuguese style chorizo something you have to go out of your way to find here in Southern California. Mexican chorizo on the other hand is more prevalent than "breakfast" sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What texture are you after? If you want caramelized, that will take the better part of an hour to do correctly, with a lot of fat and low medium heat. If you want "sweated" then low medium heat and a bit of salt is what you need (the translucent ones you're getting).