Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fig Newton posted:

There was a slow-cooker thread a while ago but I can't find it, it may have been archived.

Right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I'm in the super weird club today, it seems. I don't like my mushrooms browned. (I guess I'm always in the weird club, it's just really pronounced today.)

In other news: anybody making anything silly for Halloween?

I kind of want to fill a pumpkin with vanilla custard, add some pumpkin pie spices and bake it, but I'm not sure how well the cooking times for pumpkin and custard will match.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I wouldn't mind eating the pumpkin as well, but mainly I just wanted to cook it enough that some of the flavor would infuse into the custard. The structurally sound issue is likely, I had planned to put it in an oven-safe dish or something while it cooked and while serving.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
^^Not unless you get your eggs out of the trash

If you're making it out of eggs and heavy cream, it will keep for a drat long time. Eggs and milk, somewhat less. I'd say weeks for the former, days (or one week) for the latter.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Very Strange Things posted:

A little late, but there aren's a lot of things to do with lobster that are better than: steam, serve with butter.
- Grilled. You can split those tails in half and grill them to get some tooth to the meat.

- Lobster Roll. Chop it up and mix with butter, s+p and serve on a bed of crispy lettuce (Boston is good) in a buttered, grilled, frankfurter roll

- Lobster Ravioli, if you are good at making ravioli.I've never done it, but I've had it and it was good. It had a little white sauce, like a Bechamel or something with it.

- Lobster "Scampi", by the American definition, meaning just simmered up in white wine, garlic, oil, and a little lemon juice and serve over pasta

In addition to these, I saw a place advertising Lobster Pot Pie the other day.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Transmogrifier posted:

I'm going to finally contribute to Thanksgiving this year and I want to try Baked Alaska. I've been searching google for recipes but naturally everything seems to vary. I was wondering if any goons here have made it with good results and if they wouldn't mind sharing their recipe and any tips and tricks with me. I have platinum if they would prefer to discuss in private too.

I recently made this for a friend's birthday and it was pretty well-received.

I made a very dense brownie for the base (used this recipe - http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/ but probably most any would do) layered chocolate and vanilla ice cream on it, and then made meringue from the following recipe -

6.5 oz of sugar
0.5 cups water
3 egg whites
a few drops of lemon juice

First separate the egg whites into the bowl, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice in, and start your mixer on low (If you don't have a stand mixer this is going to be a huge pain in the rear end). put the sugar and water over medium heat until it's coloring slightly and forming large bubbles (most of the water should be evaporated so it's fairly thick at this point.) Pop the mixer up to medium/high, and pour in the sugar-syrup in a thin, continuous stream. Mixer up to highest setting, and keep it going till it's shiny, solid, and forming peaks.

Then cover the ice cream and cake with meringue using a spatula, and stick it in the freezer till you're ready to serve.

The usual thing to do right before serving is to brown it with a culinary torch. I poured flaming alcohol over it instead, which was a lot visually cooler but also resulted in some scorched parts because it was really difficult to actually extinguish it before it had burned out (I think I probably used a little too much alcohol - I used about a cup, a half cup might have worked out better).

As long as you get the meringue right you can use just about any dense cake and ice cream combination for the interior you think would go well. When you caramelize the meringue it tastes a lot like roast marshmallow, so I think next time I do this I'm going to make layers of graham cracker crumb and chocolate ganache with ice cream, so it has kind of a smore-y effect.

Also stick the whole cake-and-ice-cream assemblage in the freezer while you're making the meringue, so it's solid while you're trying to cover it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Transmogrifier posted:

Thank you very much, fatherdog. I live about forty-five minutes from my parents' and with the (very small) kitchen going to be so busy on Thanksgiving, could I do the cake/ice cream bit the day before and the meringue on Thursday or should I do it all at once you think? I know I'm supposed to brown the meringue right before serving, so could that wait until Thanksgiving if I were to make it all the day before? :ohdear: Sorry for the questions and if they don't make sense. I don't want to mess this up too badly.

I did the entire thing, meringue and all, and stuck it in the freezer for a day before I brought it out and set it on fire, it didn't seem to produce any problems. So yeah I'd say you can do the whole thing the day before, stick it in the freezer, and then bring it out and brown it right before serving.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I did the entire thing, meringue and all, and stuck it in the freezer for a day before I brought it out and set it on fire, it didn't seem to produce any problems. So yeah I'd say you can do the whole thing the day before, stick it in the freezer, and then bring it out and brown it right before serving.

Oh, also, make sure the meringue covers the whole thing with no holes; if there are holes the ice cream will melt and leak out when you pass the torch over that area.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

I'm down with all those things, except the risotto; I'm not seeing how it works with the other dishes, or how you can prevent it from congealing on the table.

I don't want to be negative, but that's already a lot of food, and more starches will just make people feel bloated.

If you don't feel bloated after Thanksgiving, you're not doing it right.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm tasked with making some polish food for Christmas and I am unfamiliar with the cuisine. Especially regarding what would be palatable for a majority of people. Would most people find a beat based vegetarian borscht with uszka good or should I not make authentic polish and just use common Polish ingredients like a sauerkraut and whatever sausage dumpling and sour cabbage and meat stew.

^^^^

Duck, always duck.

Haluski makes a pretty good side, and you can do a lot with kielbasa.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

HookShot posted:

What should I look for in the grocery store for pepperoni to put on pizza?

Since I've moved to Canada, I haven't found any in the grocery stores other than the tiny ones that you just eat as a snack. None of the bigger pizza-sized ones.

I generally just go to the deli counter and ask for slices.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can go the modernist cuisine route, which use sodium citrate to keep the sauce emulsified. What you end up doing is dissolving the sodium citrate in a small amount of liquid (the Modernist recipe uses water and beer) then adding in your cheese...much more than you would in a bechamel based sauce. This gives you a sauce that is mostly cheese, and you can even boil without it breaking. You are essentially making processed cheese. But since you get to choose the cheese you start with, it's actually good processed cheese. I think their recipe calls for gouda and cheddar, but you can use whatever works for you.

Their recipe also calls for iota carageenan, but you can make a stabilized cheese sauce without it. My wife likes to make "alfredo sauce," which is basically a cream sauce with parm. Using a little sodium citrate, we were able to get the smoothest sauce she's ever made.

You can also get an equivalent effect by grating 4 oz of cheese and whisking it with 5 ounces of evaporated milk and half a tablespoon of cornstarch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I haven't tried to oven-bake the cheese-evapmilk-cornstarch method, but you can microwave it without it breaking, so it wouldn't surprise me if it held up well to being baked.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nwin posted:

I definitely forgot the freshly grated parmesan, which I have.

Everything about your prep looks good, but one question about proportions. I'm serving for myself and my wife...how much pasta for the above ratios? I would just cook the whole pound of pasta like I normally do, but in my experience, carbonara probably doesn't reheat too well (never tried it, never want to).

I do just about the same thing as SubG, and I find that works fine with 8oz of pasta.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I find you can replace veal with turkey in meatball recipes and get a decent result.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Hello all!

I have a pound of cooked frozen shrimp that's been in my freezer for a few weeks and I really want to use them tomorrow when my gf comes over. I was thinking of making some sort of pasta casserole but she's lactose intolerant and has a gluten allergy...about thirty minutes of searching recipes on the internet has yielded all sorts of recipes for shrimp but they all have loads of butter and I'm not sure if they make gluten free panko, I've never looked.

Butter has very little lactose to begin with, and cultured butter and clarified butter have even less. Unless she actually has a milk solids allergy instead of lactose intolerance, a buttery recipe should be fine, especially if you use cultured butter.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So somebody gave me one of these for christmas -

http://www.chefschoice.com/page2b.html#4633

Are these any good? My chef's knife is relatively nice so I don't want to screw it up if this is a lovely sharpener.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Will do. Any recommendations?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Anybody got a recipe for deviled ham? My brother loves deviled eggs, and ham, so I figured it would be a natural thing to make a sandwich out of for him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Leal posted:

Any tips?

Is that picture from before you cooked it? Because if not, my tip would be "cook it"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Whats the best way to caramelize onions?

Put three pounds of onions and a stick of butter in a slow cooker, set it on low, and forget about it for about half a day.

All the above methods work, but this is the one that lets you not stand around staring at onions for an hour and a half.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Thanks. I'll freeze some then. I'm literally the stupidest fucker on the earth when it comes to sauces. While I'm here is there any decent and easy sauces to bang in with a batch of rice? I've just been eating chicken on plain rice because I can't think of anything to put with the rice.

E: that sounds retarded, what I mean is, are there any sauces simply for rice? I don't want to do a curry or anything as I buy like 3kg of frozen chicken breasts at a time and cook a couple of them with plain rice. Something BBQ or spicy would be rad but I've never really come across rice sauce that I can think of.

adobo is quick and easy and goes with rice (and with chicken).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grue Bouncer posted:

but men are more easily tempted by ridiculously large pieces of meat, in general, I find.

My experience with your mother suggests otherwise.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

C-Euro posted:

For the purposes of a boxed dinner, is alligator closer to chicken or seafood?

Taste-wise it's definitely closer to chicken. What do you mean by "for the purposes of a boxed dinner"?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Geburan posted:

Dr Maureen Mays (sp?), a leading pediatric cardiologist in Oregon, as well as Micheal Pollen and some other folks. I'm not exactly passionate about this stuff, but I gather it is along the same lines as why juice is now considered as bad for kids as soda. The sugar hits the blood stream all at once instead of a slow release, which the body can't cope with as well. Again, still far better than alternatives, but eating solids is considered by many to be better for you than drinking your nutrition. :shrug:

Edit: loving phone posting.

Squeezing the juice out of something is not the same as putting the whole thing through a blender. The soluble and insoluble fiber is still there in something you blend up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jacques Pepin advocates microwaving bacon.

Try baking it, try cold-frying it, try microwaving it. It will come out different ways; see which way you prefer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Booties posted:

Trying to eat more vegetables in my life, and go full vegetarian at least 1x/week. Can anyone recommend a good vegetarian cook book? This isn't for moral reasons, just health.

Bittman's "Vegan Before 6" is a very good starting point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

that is all it needs

you can do other stuff but they're not necessary to make a good steak.

Fire and salt is all that's necessary to make a good steak, but if someone comes in asking for a good sauce for steak it's more helpful to talk about steak au poivre than it is to just repeat that like a mantra.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

icehewk posted:

Is there a difference between beard oil and bath oils? Looks like the same poo poo in different sizes.

In a practical sense, no, in that you shouldn't put either of them on your food

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Comparable amounts of sugar to soda

I suppose "less than half the amount" is technically "comparable"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My immersion blender is a piece of poo poo and the casing is cracking, so I have to literally hold it together while I use it. Brand recommendations for a replacement?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just put two teaspoons of cornstarch into the milk before you add the cheese and whisk it smooth before you add the macaroni.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm making homemade pizza tomorrow for a small super bowl party. One of my friends is gluten free and I always try to accommodate, which is why I have a small supply of gluten free rice flour on hand. Is there any way to make good pizza dough with just rice flour?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html

Do this, but with a corn tortilla.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fuzzknot posted:

Hints of each, not overwhelming.

I have been heavily recommending Julia Child; he can watch her online even without cooking and still learn a lot.

Add Jacques Pepin, of which the same is true.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a proper name for the Asian kind of breakfast where you basically just crack an egg into freshly cooked rice, maybe add some sesame seeds to it for texture? I found an article about it awhile ago, that I've now lost, but it never had a name for it.

Was it this one?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MrSlam posted:

Sweet/Bread and Butter
Sour/Dill
Umami/Fat and Sassy

If sweet and mild describes Pollyanna, what kind of children's literature character would sour and spicy describe?

Mary Lennox.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dick head dinosaur posted:

Since I can't find a vodka thread or a general spirits thread, can someone recommend me a quality vodka? A boss is getting a big promotion and leaving the office, I'm looking to get them a suitable parting gift. If their drink of choice was anything other than vodka I'd have a pretty good idea of a quality, non-overpriced bottle, but instead I'm pretty in the dark.

Once vodka is filtered more than once or twice the difference is pretty much undetectable, so if you want to give a vodka gift you're looking for 1) Reputation (Grey Goose), 2) Obscurity (try Luksosawa) or flavor 3) (Try the Van Gogh flavored vodkas or infuse your own with a flavor you know your boss likes)

I would recommend infusing your own since it's a thoughtful gift and will likely make much more of an impression, especially if it's a flavor that's not often sold commercially as vodka.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully lol at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

I misread your post and thought you were saying that there was no distinguishable differences between vodkas which had been distilled more than twice.

You didn't misread me, that is what I said and what I meant. Once you filter a vodka more than twice, differences between them are largely indistinguishable, and blind taste testings back this up.