Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

EVG posted:

I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

Margaritas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I want to use Kenji's Tacos Al Pastor (http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/food-lab-tacos-al-pastor.html) recipe but modify it to make beef shawarma, anybody got any ideas about what cut of beef restaurants use for shawarma? Should I just swap out the pork sirloin for beef sirloin?

I'm also debating if I should make my own spice blend or buy shawarma seasoning from the halal market. Anybody had any experience with something like that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Loopoo posted:

If I marinate chicken in a yoghurt + spice mix, when it comes time to cooking that delicious poo poo up, can I just pour the entire contents of the marinade bag (yoghurt + chicken) into a pan and fry it? Cause some recipes say discard the marinade. But if I'm frying it then cooking it afterwards in a sauce, any bacteria will die, no?

The reason you throw the marinade out is because it will interfere with the cooking process. Instead of sauteing or searing, the chicken will just poach in it's own marinade and not achieve the intended effect of the recipe.

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh. The stuff I've got doesn't taste that salty to me, but it does indeed say on the label that it's 10,400mg per 100 mL. So that's 1,538mg per tablespoon.

e: it's happened after adding it to unsalted food, though. Like a stir fry I made.

Could be a psychological thing if you're not used to cooking with it. The first time I used fish sauce (oyster sauce too) I was all excited and took a big whiff of it as soon as I got home from the store. It was shockingly gross and then was all I could taste in the finished dish.

So maybe put it away for a few weeks and come back to it once your memory of the smell fades?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Wanna make a simple chili that has the consistency/texture of something like Skyline but doesn't taste like cinnamon buttholes. Any thoughts on how to achieve that? I'm good on flavoring/spices but just want to make a few servings to put over spaghettis.

Just leave out any large items e.g. beans, bell pepper, chunks of tomatoes and add the meat to your liquid without browning it first and whisk it up real good so no large chunks remain?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Re: peppers, you want to cut them open so the seeds/membranes release their spicy oils into the surrounding food.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

moller posted:

1) Between mole, thai, indian, and salsa I've decided I need a mortar and pestle in my life - but only one. Do I want a molcajete? a suribachi? the pharmaceutical sort (cheapest)? Shape? Material?

You want a mortar with a big rear end bowl, a rough surface, and a nice big pestle. The little tiny smooth ones are ok to have if you need to crush a very small amount of spices.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I don't have an alternate recipe to use but I've made that one before and the lemon flavor is overpowering, I would cut it down to a slice or two.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I keep a squeeze bottle of sliced serranos in vinegar in my fridge for squirting on stuff. If I just keep refilling the vinegar as needed will this last indefinitely as long as the chilies stay submerged?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I'm no expert but for basic light and dark soy sauce I like Pearl River Bridge. As far as doubanjiang goes, in my experience the stuff in bags is usually better than the stuff in the jar or tub, and you want it to say "Pixian" somewhere on there.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

My mom had an issue of Milk Street laying around and he had some recipe for beef stew or whatever and the whole intro was about how browning meat is just suuuuch a burden and he doesn't know why anyone would intentionally put themselves through that, so here's stew recipe where you don't have to brown anything. He's the world's biggest weenie and seems to be proud of it too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anybody got a recipe for a simple coconut icing that will harden at room temperature, similar to how melted chocolate behaves?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Coconut oil's melting point is 76°, so no. You could do coconut magic shell for ice cream, or you could do a base of something else and just put a bunch of coconut in it.

Sorry, I meant coconut flavored icing. Like for drizzling over biscotti. I'm not much of a baker so I don't even know if icing is the right term.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 18, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cool, thanks, I'll look around for some melts.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Bagheera posted:

Sauce recommendation.

I'm making a main dish of brown rice, toasted pumpkin seeds, and roast broccoli. This isn't from a recipe; it's just improvising.

It sounds tasty but a bit dry. What's a decent sauce to put on it? I could do plain old soy sauce, or soy/sesame oil? Maybe a thai peanut sauce? How hard is that to make?

For an easy peanut sauce use a hand blender and mix up peanut butter, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and sriracha.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that the bolognese sauce I made ended up being a little too dry when I was putting it in to the pasta I had just cooked, so I poured in the leftover pasta water and reduced the sauce back down. That got me thinking...if I'm gonna be cooking pasta and then adding some of the pasta water in afterwards, why not just cut out the middleman and cook the pasta in the bolognese + some extra water? Gonna try this next time I make pasta bolognese.

I do this with leftovers all the time when I'm hungover and only want to dirty one pot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Does anyone know what cuts of beef are typically used in those giant shawarma cones?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm having a party, my friend offered to bring tabbouleh and I said then I'd make something with chickpeas and lamb or chicken to go with it. With two days to go I realized I don't have any kind of plan for this. Help. I'm thinking something vaguely Arabian/North African, doesn't have to be super authentic as long as it's tasty.

Kseksou Tanjaoui
Couscous with Lamb and Raisins -this is like a chunky, saucy dish

K'Dra Djej
Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas -uses a whole chicken or bone-in chicken parts

Lentil, Swiss Chard and Lamb Kofte [Meatball] Soup

I can type one of these up for you if you want.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

This is a Moroccan dish but I'm white as hell with no connection to the region whatsoever just a heads up.

Couscous with Lamb and Raisins

2 oz butter
3-5 lamb shanks
3 onions, 2 quartered, 1 halved and sliced thin
1/2 t ground tumeric
1+1/2 t ground ginger
1 t ground black pepper
1/8 t ground saffron threads
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 cilantro sprigs + 3 flat leaf parsley sprigs, tied together
15 oz can chickpeas
3/4 c golden raisins
salt
prepared couscous

Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add the lamb, onion quarters, and spices and stir for 1 minute.

Add 2 cups water, the herbs, 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer over low for 1 hr 45 min to 2 hours, until the lamb is tender.

Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, submerge in cool water, and run them between fingers to loosen the skins. Let the chickpeas sink and skim the floating skins and throw away. Drain the now-skinless chickpeas.

When the lamb is ready, pull the shanks out and pull the meat off the bones and cut the meat into pieces.

Return the meat to the pan along with the chickpeas, sliced onion, raisins, and a little more water depending on how thick you want it. Cover and cook for 20 more minutes

Discard the herbs, adjust the water level to your liking, add more salt if it needs it, and serve on a big platter on top of a bed of warm couscous.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Also a Moroccan dish.

Chicken with Onions and Chickpeas

2 oz butter
3 onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground black pepper
3-4 lb bone-in chicken parts (I use thighs for just about everything)
1/8 t. ground saffron threads
1 cinnamon stick
2x 15 oz can chickpeas
3 T. flat leaf parsley, chopped fine, plus extra for garnish
lemon wedges to serve

Melt the butter over medium heat in a dutch over or large saucepan. Add 1/3 onions and cook until softened. Add the ginger, pepper, and chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, flipping occasionally.

Add 1+1/4 cups water, remaining onion, saffron, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a low boil and then cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, submerge in cool water, and run them between fingers to loosen the skins. Let the chickpeas sink and skim the floating skins and throw away. Drain the now-skinless chickpeas.

Add the chickpeas and parsley and cover and simmer another 15 minutes.

Extract the chicken, letting as much liquid as possible drain back into the pan.

Heat some butter or oil (or fat you skimmed from the sauce) in a frying pan over high heat and quickly brown the chicken pieces all over. While you're doing this, turn the heat back up on the main dish and reduce it down to however thick you like it. Salt to taste and remove the cinnamon stick.

Put the chicken pieces in some sort of serving vessel and pour the chickpeas and sauce over top of them and garnish with some parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with crusty bread or whatever.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Jay Carney posted:

I'm going to make a bunch of deep fried chicken sandwiches and as usual have way too many thighs already in the brine. Is it possible to just fry all of them and freeze a bunch to reheat later? Or will they just be hockey pucks in soggy breaking reheated. I was planning on deep frying, stacking on parchment, shoving in freezer.

Sounds good, but they will lose a lot a lot crispness upon reheating unless you deep fry them again. Think about how Tyson frozen chicken tenders or whatever turn out in the oven and you'll have your answer.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 30, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I broke open a scallion in the middle and there was a huge glob of goo in there. It was totally clear and had the consistency of hair gel and was just one big blob. The scallion was otherwise perfectly fresh looking and still had lots of snap. So what the gently caress?

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Recipes for chipotle aioli? I’ve been craving that poo poo for days.

2 canned chipotle peppers with 1 tsp sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What can I do with the beef fat and juice left in the bottom of the pan when I make meatloaf?

Let the loaf rest overnight in the fridge and most/all of the juice will reabsorb back into it (it will slice nicer too). The next day slice it and grill, broil, or dry-saute it (in a non-stick pan) to reheat and serve.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Eeyo posted:

I'm going to be making tamales for Christmas. My plan is to make the dough the previous day and bring it to my parents house, make the tamales, and steam them. Probably eating around 1-2 so I figured there would be enough time if I start early enough.

My, my girlfriend, and my cousin are vegetarians so I was going to make some refried bean + queso fresco tamales, and I'm having my brother prepare a meat filling for the rest of the family.

Anyone have a clever idea to differentiate the meat/veggie tamales? I'll be steaming them in my giant pot so it'll be easy to get them mixed up.

Put a drop or two of food coloring in the dough. A pale green or orange might look the most natural.

uncle w benefits posted:

Since you're talking about substitutes, what can I substitute for pickle juice? I don't want to keep buying jars of pickles just for the juice (since I don't eat pickles because they are disgusting.) Can I just use a type of weak vinegar and salt/spices?

Vinegar diluted with water, sugar, lots of salt, and some spices.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Nah just skip it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Is Jaime Oliver a total cornball or is that just how English people are?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Eeyo posted:

What's a cornball?

A ham. Someone who's trying to be goofy or entertaining but is sort of embarrassing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

me your dad posted:

I've got some marinated bulgogi beef, some awesome tortillas, ginger, garlic and a good amount of Asian sauces. I want to make something with these things. I'm going to the store and I've got green onions on my list. What else would be good in there? Some sort of pickled cabbage? I have an Asian grocery store up the street so I can get pretty much anything.

It's a little more work than kimchi, you could make an Asian slaw with chile vinaigrette.

Chile Vinaigrette:

.5 T Korean pepper flakes (Kochukaru)
2 T soy sauce
1 T toasted sesame oil
1 t grated fresh ginger
1 scallion, (whites and 2 inches of green)
1.5 cloves garlic
1 T sugar
.5 T kosher salt
3/4 t fresh ground black pepper
.5 c rice wine vinegar
.25 c canola oil

Blend everything in a blender. Toss with 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage, 1/2 cup shredded romaine, and 1/4 cup sliced scallions, adding a little at a time until you get the consistency you like. Add in 1 T toasted sesame seeds.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Dennis McClaren posted:

My friend left me several pounds of white meat chicken breasts when he moved. I'd like to get some ideas on how I can utilize all this chicken breast. It's not something I normally cook, but I'm sure there are a million recipes for chicken breasts.
So is there a particular place online I should look to browse chicken breast recipes? Or where should I go from here?

I don't have any website suggestions but I would suggest white chicken chili and chicken salad as good ways to use it up.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sure, but most people have an oven at home, not an open fire pit with a vertical spit. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-recipe.html

IMO use this recipe but use this seasoning blend* and replace the sauce with toum and throw on some onion and Mediterranean pickles and it tastes nearly identical to the Shawarma the takeout places make.

*or just buy one when you're buying the pickles

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Can anyone recommend any general health-conscious cooking blogs that are minimal on the hippy-dippy "nourishing" cliches and aren't based around one specific diet?

obi_ant posted:

Any good dry rub suggestions for chicken? I have a simple Mediterranean rub that I use with some olive oil and bake for like 25 minutes, but looking to try something different.

I like jarred Tandoori Masala and Jamaican Jerk seasoning for when I don't feel like mixing one up myself.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Bagheera posted:

Thanks. I should just say "custard" instead of "Creme Anglaise." It's just that "Creme Anglaise" sounds so much fancier than "tastes like the custard my gramma used to make when I was a kid."

What are your variations on butternut squash soup? My wife hates carrots and gave a thumbs down to the Moroccan carrot soup. I want to make Butternut Squash Soup because (a)it has a pretty orange color that I can decorate and (b)it's super easy to make.

But how could I dress it up? My go-to recipe is "Roast squash, saute onions, puree together with chicken broth. Pour into bowl." Maybe add a touch of honey and sprinkle on ground pistachios?

Make a maple syrup creme fraiche and drizzle it over and sprinkle some spiced pepitas on top. Eazy peasy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Does anyone know what trimmed vs. untrimmed oxtail is like? Is it fat and/or silverskin that is cleaned from around the edges?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

apatheticman posted:

Probably a question that is asked every day or so.

What are your go to recipe sites? (besides serious eats)

Cooks Illustrated (requires a paid subscription), The Mala Market, The Woks of Life, African Bites

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Q8ee posted:

is there a way to get that charred tandoori texture from oven baking? I obviously don't have a tandoor, but I'm really craving chicken with charred edges

I broil the chicken pieces with the marinade on it, fairly close to the broiler, and then let them finish cooking gently in the sauce.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Do I need to boil potatoes before I bake them?

No

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I also got in on that Penzy's deal, thanks Lawnie.

Any thoughts on brown rice dishes that have a stew-like consistency and freeze and reheat well? Dhal but with rice? Jambalaya?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Rice really does not freeze that great. I make up a few days worth and just keep it in the fridge. Any reason you need to freeze?

You can add rice to just about any brothy soup you like. Jook and Congee are also right up your alley.

Convenience mostly. I get paranoid about leaving rice in the fridge for too long and I usually throw it away before I can finish it all.

I'm looking for quick healthy-ish weeknight sides, I figured saucier rice dishes would mask some of the damage done in the freezer.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a fast way to dry out rice for fried rice so it doesn't stick together?

Spread it out thin and point a fan at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Zenithe posted:

I'm in an airbnb with animals for another week, and there's no room in the fridge.

Can I soak beans at room temperature without killing my are self?

Yes