Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

The Heavenator posted:

So any recommendations for good very spicy chili recipe? I've had a recipe for a while and have never been quite pleased with it. This will probably be cooking in a crockpot if that makes any difference.

My recipe is a variation of the OP's recipe here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3261214. It's amazing. Has made me known for chili-making at my school.

With a decent variation of chiles like arbol, ancho, guajillo, chipotle, jalapeno and habanero you should get a flavorful yet spicy chili. You can increase spiciness with more habaneros and/or whatever good hot sauce you have around.

And to think only two years ago I thought "chili powder" was just one specific thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 5, 2011

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

heeebrew posted:

Thai pumpkin curry is bomb as gently caress!

You can do a stuffed pumpkin, you basically scoop all the goo out of the pumpkin and stuff it with vegetables/meats and bake it for a lil while.

Pumpkin ice cream is out of this world.

I like pumpkin in my omelets, but I have a feeling I might in the minority and I don't see how well that'd work at a potluck.

Yeah the curry sounds good. Looks like I'll be making that.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

branedotorg posted:

I'd sweat down some onions, fry the pumpkin (and some (sweet?) potatoes a bit & add a marsalla of tumeric, curry leaves, ground coriander, ground ginger, a cinnamon quill, cloves & cumin. Maybe fennel leaves &/or seeds. Add some vege stock & simmer until it's thick. Add some cocconut cream or some cashew butter at the end to give it a really rich mouthfeel. Play up to the sweetness of the onions & pumpkin with the spices you use. Add chilli for heat as required & maybe make a very astringent mango chutney to taste at service.

Mouth is already watering. Thanks, I'll do a practice run and report in the dinner thread.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

I knew that, and have used mine many times as such, I mean will my onions be poisonous rear end when they come out or would leaving it on low let them carmelize to a wonderful level by the end of an 8 hour work day?

I caramelize onion all the time in my slow cooker. I just slice them until the bowl is full of onion rings, drop a stick of butter on top, turn to low and leave for 16+ hours. If I'm around for it I'll start with a couple hours on high with lid off and then rest on low.

Edit: Might as well use this post. I'm currently working on my hardest culinary project so far: Zero snobbishness.

From interacting with friends I've realized that my initial response of "Ugh, don't use that!" and "Oh man, don't tell me you're doing it like that" are simply not helpful. They do not lead to people more interested in cooking. In fact they tend to lead to people less interested in cooking because it's full of people that look down on everything you do.

So I'm letting go of that. It's difficult, but it needs to be done. "Making a dish with cream of whatever canned soup, pre-ground extra mild spice mix and pre-cooked chicken strips from the supermarket? That's cool man, hope it works out for you. If you want to make the dish even better sometime, let me know."

Any cooking is better than no cooking.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 12, 2011

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

:aaa: Holy crap. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I'm a lazy lazy boy who doesn't want to commit to the full joys of making french onion soup. If I can slither my way through the caramelizing stage I will be happy as hell.

The best part is that it's like a mutual exchange between the butter and onion. The butter stops the onion from burning and gives it a richer flavor, and once the onion is sufficiently caramelized you can strain the liquid into a container, cool it down and later pick up a solidified chunk of wonderful onion-flavored butter.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I'm making dinner for a weekly friend-gettogether tomorrow. I'm thinking soup, but I haven't done a lot of them. Something beans. And warm homebaked bread.

I've got pinto, great northern, black eyed, black, split-peas and lentils. What am I making here?

Edit: Something that goes well with roux. I just made some and would like to try it out.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 22, 2011

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

dino. posted:

Soak the black eyed peas in boiling water for two hours. Puree them with garlic, some onion, chili sauce of your liking, salt, and a bit of black pepper, then more garlic, just to be safe. Deep fry by the scoopful. Eat. SO TASTY.

Boil the lentils until tender. Drain well. Combine in food processor with garlic, sauteed onion, a bit of salt, some pepper, and equal parts walnuts. For example, if you started with 1 cup of dry lentils, use 1 cup of walnuts. Very tasty as a dip.

Start with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and celery in a large stock pot. Add thyme, and a bit of salt. Cook until the veg are soft. Add the great northern beans that you've par-cooked in fiercely boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add enough water to come up about 3 inches over the beans. Bring to a boil, and drop to medium low heat for about an hour. Add in a good hit of hickory salt when the beans are tender. Stir in the roux, and bring back to the boil. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.

Thanks. I ended up with the safe bet of Alton Brown lentil soup, but this will help a lot in my near-future soup and dip-making endeavours.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I just got a food processor. This is my plan, please tell me what's wrong with it:

1. Cut up a whole bunch of dried chilis, toast them with cumin seeds and put them in the food processor.

2. Add a little water, and pulse until it's a paste.

3. Divide the paste into cubes, put in freezer.

How will this paste store in the freezer? Am I completely destroying the 'freshness' here? I just have this dream of making chili where I don't need to spend a half hour making the chili powder.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

If you're looking to make a chili powder, why would you bother with the water at all :confused: Just grind up the dried spices and keep in a reasonably airtight jar out of direct sunlight.

Oh yeah, forgot to explain that. The food processor doesn't chop it quite fine enough dry, and water is always involved anyway wherever I mix the chili in. So I remembered some post here saying that you can add a little water to make the thing mix better, and use a paste instead of dry powder. All I'm wondering now is: how long does that paste last?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I just got a stainless steel prep table on wheels, and since I've never had one I'm not sure exactly how to use it. If you have one, what do you use it for? What ingredients and tools do you keep on it? I need a prep table 101 here.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

I'm desperately looking for a source of dried chilis that ships to Iceland. We may have hákarl and amazing lamb, but the chili selection is absolutely abysmal. Anyone know a European chili store that ships all over the place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

A lot of people make pulled pork with a splash of some sweet drink like orange juice or coke. Would it be a terrible idea to use something similar to Malta instead? Feels like it could bring a slightly interesting malty twist.