Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just mentioned it because to me, curry powder and garam masala are just spice blends people have and he asked for quick and easy. Though on second thought, maybe not everyone keeps curry powder and garam masala on hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

if you want quick and easy there are these convenient products sold called curry roux blocks hope that helps 🤠

Again, the point is that he might have had curry powder and garam masala at home but not curry blocks. You are way too worked up about this.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bought premade garam masala and it tastes like christmas. Not sure which component it is exactly but it's got far too much of it. Currently using it up one pinch at a time cause it's really overwhelming.

e: although that might actually work really well for a Japanese curry, now that I think about it

Or maybe coriander? Don't know that it tastes "like Christmas" but I've seen lots of blends with just way too much coriander.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sweet Custom Van posted:

along with grapes

Grapes are really smooth and round which means that they're slippery when in the mouth and coated in saliva but easy to get stuck and difficult to dislodge. Even cutting them into halves isn't great (esp. when cut uhh... like a hamburger?) They should really be quartered lengthwise.

Kids are basically little suicide machines.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

grapes are the #3 food for kids to choke to death on. (#1 is hot dogs and #2 is candy.) On an individual level it's not very likely, but on a population level it's a thing

I've never been in a car accident so seat belts are stupid.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

Between 66 and 77 kids die from choking on food each year. But every year, 12,000 kids get taken to the ER from choking on food. There are a lot of very bad outcomes, like permanent brain damage from oxygen deprivation, that aren't outright deaths.

I get mad about parental oneupmanship too, but I direct that anger at people who pressure moms to make homemade Oreos and homemade poptarts and poo poo. I'm not mad at parents who just don't want dead babies.

Plus not all choking is the same. Sometimes, food does go down the wrong pipe but does not completely obstruct the airway. Still bad, but not as bad as not being able to breathe at all.

Foods like hot dogs, grapes, and hard candies are more dangerous because when they get lodged in the throat, they're more likely to completely obstruct the airway than not.

Trying to avoid preventable injury and death in kids who can barely speak is not some sort of mollycoddling. It's the sensible loving thing to do. There's no sort of PANIC about kids eating whole grapes. There is, however, sensible people telling otherwise-clueless parents about potential dangers to avoid, that's all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ boiled rice. Heathen.

big dyke energy posted:

I keep loving up my brown rice, what the hell is the proper rice/water ratio? I'm using long grain brown rice.

The bag suggests 1 cup rice, 2 1/2 cups of water which just gave me insanely wet rice. I tried 1 cup rice, 1 1/4 cups water; got dry, slightly undercooked rice. I just don't want to gently caress up my rice a third time this week, what am I doing wrong.

You can usually let your rice steam longer if you find it too wet. Letting out the steam is also an option if it's been sealed very well.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've never had a grinder like that - are they fairly easy to clean to change between spices?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Steve Yun posted:

Lol WTF am I supposed to grind in this

Edit: ok it’s a piece of garbage. My big one dusted a handful of black pepper in seconds, after a minute in the small one I still had whole peppercorns.

I suggest looking at Pinterest for decorative mortar and pestles for ideas.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If there's anything keeping my nonstick pan relevant it's eggs.

I use a ceramic nonstick pan. Works like a charm.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'll do it for 150 a month and I'll even write you a nice long story about my life and how it's tangentially related to why you should eat this taco.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have: medium everyday rice (e.g. Koshihikari) for steaming, basmati, jasmine, carnaroli for risotto, brown rice I got from a friend that I need to finish, and I want to get some Spanish rice for paella.

Not sure if I need any other rice at this point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Shine posted:

It's time to buy new nonstick pans. I had some Scanpan cookware like 15 years ago that I adored (until they got lost in a move), and I see the company is still around.

What are the best of the best nonstick pans? I don't mind paying a bunch of money for something I'd adore like I did that Scanpan.

I like to use a ceramic nonstick rather than Teflon.

Either way, let it cool before washing and it'll be fine. I only really use it for eggs so I think my pan will last forever.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to throw in some bacon bits with my fried rice. What's the best way to go about making bacon bits? Fry it up until crispy, throw it in a bag, go after it with a mallet?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How do I avoid burning my fingers?

thanks!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

Herb scissors

huh.. I had no idea these were a thing. I guess I don't mind having been forced to try to improve my knife skills but man.. so much time could have been saved.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Casu Marzu posted:

Koreans know what's up and use kitchen shears to cut everything up tableside

A practice that I find incredibly strange.

SubG posted:

Crumbling bacon is obviously too complicated and divisive an issue, get some pork belly and make char sui instead.

Funny thing is, I've actually made char sui. Crumbling bacon, not so much. I honestly can't remember the last time I even bought bacon..

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Veritek83 posted:

Ok, actually opened up the bag to transfer into a jar for storage and it definitely seems coarser and flakier than I thought. Not too hot either, but pretty nice

Put some in a heat-proof bowl, heat up some oil, pour it over the peppers and smell that delicious.

Not too hot or the pepper will burn. I usually throw a couple flakes in the oil as it's warming to check the temp.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Baking soda works wonders. Just a little bit of water (very little) to make a paste. It'll remove the last of what's left after you get the real thick stuff off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Human Tornada posted:

I rent too and used those command strips to hang a knife strip. Mine was going in a small space too but I just got a shorter strip. It's nice and out of the way.

I did this with an Ikea knife strip (I had to wood glue a piece of wood to the strip because it's hollow). It worked well enough when I used it on drywall but it didn't when the mounting wall was not perfectly flat (e.g. natural stone). Also, the command strips meant that, basically, getting a knife was a two-handed affair. Maybe I was being overly paranoid but it was not 100% secure (like being bolted into the wall) and I didn't want knives falling.

I ended up buying one of these because: 1) I hate money, 2) I don't have anywhere to mount a magnetic knife rack, 3) I didn't want to use a block for moisture reasons, and 4) I didn't want to put them in a drawer for similar reasons.

It works quite well but people's comments about the magnets being really strong are not wrong. They are, in fact, really strong. I basically have to TWIST the knife off of the block when I'm grabbing my butcher's knife or a chef's knife. A smaller knife like a utility knife is no problem, though. Also, I put my butcher's knife on the very back (outside, on the "wall" side not the "knife block" side) and grabbing that is a little tricky, as I also want to twist the edge away from the block but also avoid the stone wall. But, I only grab it once when I cook and once when I'm done so I feel okay putting up with these inconveniences.

I didn't buy a typical knife stand because I wasn't sure if the magnets would be strong enough and if they would be large enough. They also feel like they'd end up taking more counter space.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you tried red wine vinegar instead of balsamic?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Definitely don't get nonstick everything. You basically just need one or two non-stick skillets for eggs.

Otherwise, you should get an enamel cast-iron Dutch oven, and some stainless pots/pans.

A high sided pan, a small/larger sautee pan, a couple different sized pots, and maybe a big stock pot is probably all you'll need for quite some time. Maybe a carbon steel wok (you'll need a wok ring) if you're into that sort of thing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope you're not using an actual match. Go get yourself a barbeque lighter.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Eeyo posted:

Chocolate

What's are the main factors that determine what structures chocolate forms? Cocoa content? Fat content? It suddenly makes me want to see a phase diagram for chocolate but in my background in metallurgy, phase diagrams are usually binary (at most ternary) and I imagine chocolate is a little more complex than that.. but maybe it's only a couple things that affect the chocolate structure..

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

No, phase diagram works fine, this isn't a spin glass or anything

http://soft-matter.seas.harvard.edu..._and_nucleation

That's so cool and interesting (though it's technically a TTT diagram). Thanks very much for this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Lawnie posted:

Time-temperature-transformation for the materials science noobs out there. The same techniques that allow gas turbine engines to exist make chocolate shiny and snappy.

Having a MatSE degree makes cooking really, really intuitive, which rules.

Hi5 MSE buddy.

Cooking really is just a cousin for our studies. Foods are just complex materials and at the end of the day, there are only a few knobs you can turn to change things (time, temperature, medium (e.g. oil, water, air), etc.). When you control for the relevant variables, you get a consistent product - whether that's a turbine blade or fried chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, tororo. It doesn't taste like anything and it's hard to eat cum with chopsticks.

Tororo is delicious and you eat it with rice. You palette is just not sensitive enough for its subtle flavors :D

...But you usually mix it with other stuff because, yeah, it's pretty bland.