Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
So, Irish lamb stew.

I found some "bone-in stew lamb" in the grocery store a while ago, so I stuck it in the freezer to make stew for when the weather got cooler. I was looking for a simple lamb stew recipe (not like this absurdly complicated Serious Eats one). So, I settled on this one by Martha Stewart.

I can probably figure it out myself, but I wanted to see what others thought. First, the lack of garlic — personally, I can't imagine a long-braising stew like this without garlic — the historical English aversion to garlic is famous, but it grew in Ireland and the Irish would have cooked with it, right? I don't know why I'm hung up on this, but I guess I want to be *~authentic~*.

Second, seasoning overall — probably okay substituting part of the thyme for rosemary to make a mix and adding black pepper and a bay leaf? Also, I like onion, so I think I'd use two. In short, keeping most of Stewart's recipe but borrowing a bit from this one.

Reactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cavenagh posted:

Garlic grows across the British isles, and everybody uses it. The aversion isn't really English but more Western European Aristocrats a couple of hundred years ago and those imitating them. If you ate garlic and onions, you were poor. And no-one really ever bothered to write down the recipes of the poor for a long long time.

As for the recipes if you look at this one from the very Irish Richard Corrigann and this one from the equally Irish Paul Rankin, there's no beer as traditional Irish stew has no beer. It's lamb, carrots, onions and (unusually for a British stew) potatoes.

But if you want to add beer, add beer. If you want to add garlic, add garlic, add rosemary, add seaweed, add kale. It'll just be your Irish Stew.

Great advice, thanks. I appreciate the history lesson and the thoughtful response. Thanks as well for linking a couple of recipes I haven't seen before.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I may be really boring, but I think squash has a good flavor on its own and roasted squash and onion is a really easy side (if you have a sharp knife).

I slice it in half, scoop out the guts, and then cut 0.25–0.5" slices along the length of each half; throw in an onion sliced into similar half rings, toss the vegetables in olive oil and salt, and roast on a pan with foil at 425°F. I flip the squash and any large onion pieces after 15 minutes, and roast for about another 10 minutes. Some of the onion will inevitably burn, but the bigger pieces should be soft and tasty and add a good complementary flavor to the squash.

Edit: Delicata is my favorite to do this with, and I've done it with acorn squash. The flesh should scrape off the thicker skin of butternut squash if you roast it like this. I feel like this formula should work in principle for other kinds of squashes (maybe not spaghetti), but I can't say for sure.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 29, 2016

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of something offal, what do you guys do with braunschweiger? I got a tube of it and so far my experience is that it's cat food soaked in urine. A sandwich was ok but cooking it in hash didn't turn out great.

I used to spread it on a slice of pumpernickel with black coffee for what I called the manliest breakfast ever. It gets a bit spicier if you toast it, and mustard is a very good compliment for it whether it's hot or cold. As a health food, it is super-rich in iron and vitamin A. If your cholesterol is bad, Jones Farm makes a light version that all but eliminates the saturated fat content, which is pretty remarkable.

But yeah — as much as I like it, I think its application is pretty much limited to sandwiches and crackers.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 6, 2016

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

nuru posted:

I'm thinking fancy foods / drink as gifts for extended family I don't see very often because I have no idea what to get them otherwise. Any general food gift suggestions people can recommend?

Some dank dry salami like Olli or Creminelli.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

D-Rider posted:

Hey guys, I have a dilemma. I found out today that I've got to prepare a dessert for a finger food shindig at work in three days. Normally I'd say gently caress YEAH and throw together some cream puffs or eclairs, but due to prior commitments (not to mention finding out about it so late), whatever I make is gonna have to be done two days in advance. I don't think cream puffs will go that long without getting soggy. Does anyone have any ideas for a simple pick up and go dessert that can hold together for a couple of days in refrigeration?

Lemon bars? I would flip out if someone brought lemon bars to a party.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ranter posted:

The smell of sulfur is a placebo. If you dyed the brussel sprouts yellow people would like them more.

:golfclap:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Question about searing meat before braised recipes — why dredge meat in flour beforehand? The meat (lamb for stew in this case) released from the pan more easily, I guess, but there was no fond left at the end of the process — just a lot of smoke and burned flour in oil, which I figured it was best to pour off.

For other recipes I make, I only use salt and pepper before searing (boneless skinless thighs, usually). This gets me a terrific, rich brown sticky fond which onions do a great job at picking up. Is dredging meat in flour for braised recipes bullshit?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I would salt the chicken (agree with Submarine Sandpaper, though) then sear it, drain the fat, then saute an onion or two, then cook the chicken in the sauce for as long as you like.

But that is basically how I cook everything, though — I could use some new tricks.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

PokeJoe posted:

I bought some oxtail, what should I do with it? I've never made or eaten it before.

I've made this recipe once before. It calls for a lot of liquid initially, and I wonder whether the beef broth is all that really necessary, but it the end, it came out well.

Lessons leaned: start this recipe in the morning so that you have as long as possible to simmer and break down the seared oxtail and extract as much as you can from it into the broth. You're going to have to refrigerate that much liquid over night to skim the fat off the next day (and there will be a lot of fat). Another minor thing, don't chop the potatoes until you're ready to add them to the soup. I learned that they oxidize and turn brown while making this recipe.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

BBQ Dave posted:

I need to cook for a sick person and need suggestions. I tried to come up with something with her yesterday and it didn't go well. My mind is a blank, any help would be appreciated.

1. Must be low acid - person is experiencing intense acid reflux
2. Must not be too rich - a cheeseburger is too rich. Made this person vomit last time... and I make really good cheeseburgers.
3. Not spicy - aggravates stomach problems
4. No mayo or bellpeppers.

Bonus points for easy and cheap, but i need help brainstorming.

This Middle Eastern beans-and-rice recipe takes a bit of time, but is easy, cheap, and nutrient-dense. I'd make sure you cover and sweat the onions for a good while and cook them thoroughly to avoid aggravating your friend's acid reflux. Altogether, I think it should be certainly less rich than a cheeseburger, but if you're still concerned, maybe skip the oil at the end and use a dab of skim or lowfat yogurt to add some moisture to any one serving. Good luck.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

I ordered some spreadable salami on a whim, do I just spread this on some hot crusty bread and dig in or is there some secret way to make it even better?

'Nduja? I mean, I could eat it with a spoon, and you can do a lot worse than eating it with bread. I tried warming it up and using it like a pasta sauce once, but I couldn't get it to stick. Maybe you'd have better luck.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

The ingredients I listed in the previous post are ones I can easily and cheaply get, so I'd rather use them, and more could use advice on the spices for turning that pot of mediocre into something tasty.

Since I started cooking, I've learned that seasonings, herbs, and spices come in families, and that you can add and substitute seasonings within a given family pretty easily. This graphic does a pretty good job of describing how and what to use to build flavor bases.

You may also find this article interesting. It's main focus is the Instant Pot, but it describes how to adapt stove top braise and stew recipes for slow cookers. On your specific question about seasoning, it had this to say:

The Washington Post posted:

Because of the long cooking and the high-moisture environment, slow cookers compromise the efficacy of seasonings, particularly dried herbs. That teaspoon of dried thyme in a stove top braise will be almost lost after eight hours in a slow cooker.

A successful slow-cooker dish requires a big punch of flavors for the long haul, sometimes twice or even three times what a stove-top recipe requires. We once tested a chicken stew in an eight-quart slow cooker and couldn’t get any basil flavor until we upped the dried herb to Ό cup!

That said, a successful pressure-cooker adaptation again falls somewhere between the two, although it’s still harder on dried herbs than on dried spices. As a very general rule and starting from a Dutch oven recipe, double the dried herbs for a slow cooker and increase dried spices by 50 percent. For a pressure cooker, keep dried spices the same but increase dried herbs by 50 percent. For large-batch slow cooking (more than seven quarts), you may even need to triple dried herbs and double dried spices. What’s more, the taste of fresh herbs is muted and dull in a slow cooker (although relatively intact in a pressure cooker). It’s best to stir in the stated amount of fresh herbs during the last hour of slow cooking.

A recipe I've recently discovered that you might want to try is scouse. It interests me because it's so strongly associated with Liverpool, and Liverpudlians have such strong feelings about it, but to me it seems like a fundamental red meat stew. I also like that more than a few times in the recipe videos I've watched, people stress, "There is no technique required," and, "Everyone makes theirs differently," so it seems like something where accuracy and precision is almost against the spirit of the dish. The ingredients are from here, but using the Post's advice, here's how I'd adapt it to a slow cooker:

Combine and cook these ingredients (how do slow cooker recipes usually go? high for a couple of hours then low for the rest of the time?):
  • 700g stew meat (traditionally beef or lamb)
  • 1.7 kg mix of root vegetables (350–400g each onion, carrots, rutabaga, 600g potatoes)
  • 150 to 250ml ale or red wine
  • 400 to 600ml beef, chicken, or vegetable stock or equivalent bouillon cubes
  • 1 tsp. salt (depending on your taste and how much sodium the stock or bouillon contains, and you can always add it later)
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1–2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 0.5–1 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 0.5–1 tsp. black pepper
It's good with bread, and some people like to mix in picked red cabbage, pickled beetroot, or Worcestershire sauce to add flavor.

If meat is expensive or difficult to transport on a given day, "blind scouse," is also traditional. The recipe is exactly the same, but it just omits the meat. Families used to use bones, actually...

Anyway, good luck. Hope this helps.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

I can't cook tender lamb no matter how hard I try. Second lamb curry I've attempted, it's been simmering for 40 minutes, no dice. Lamb is still incredibly tough, and if I were to dish it up, I'd be chewing on big lumps of fat and meat.

What am I doing wrong? My mum makes lamb curry all the time, and she doesn't marinate the lamb beforehand. She just throws it in, cooks it, and it turns out really soft and tender.

What cut of lamb are you using? I made a lamb stew a week or so ago with lamb shoulder chops and it turned out very well. Not a curry expert, but I'd imagine it follows the same rules as a stew — you need a poor cut of meat, cooked on low for at least a few hours for the connective tissue that makes it a poor cut to break down. I don't think 40 minutes is enough time.

Another tip I'd offer — I tend to anxiously stir my stews too often and usually end up with shredded meat. I left my most recent one alone until it was done and ended up with wonderfully tender chunks of meat.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

screaden posted:

So I'm interested in trying some "Soul Food", not in the US so I don't really have any frame of reference or a place to start, but whenever I've heard it talked about it sounds so good. Wanna keep it relatively simple to begin with and from little research I've done it seems like the basics are fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese and some cornbread on the side? Any suggestions on where to start?

I like Alton Brown's red beans and rice recipe. I've never gone to the trouble of following his instructions for pickled pork, though. I use a package of ham chips or pork jowls instead.

Bob Morales posted:

Please consult your physician before consuming on a regular basis.

This is a good comment — as far as I understand it, a lot of soul food recipes (the beans and rice and vegetables recipes anyway) seem to rely on smoked, salted, fatty cuts of pork or turkey you normally wouldn't eat, but that add a lot of flavor when used in long-simmering recipes. I definitely believe in treating yourself to the real thing every once in a while, but with the right substitutions (e.g., drained bacon, lean ham, a good pork stock skimmed of fat, chicken broth and liquid smoke, brown rice), a lot of the beans and rice recipes like hoppin' john can be fairly cheap, nutritious meals to make in big batches.

If you like history, there's a lot more to soul food that has to do with its origins in enslaved society in the US and its race and class baggage that makes me think of this scene from Boardwalk Empire, but that's about all I know.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captainsalami posted:

Cheap and easy anchovy or sardine recipes, go! I got a poo poo ton on super sale but i'm baffled with what to do with them.

This is my favorite puttanesca recipe. I'd skip the lemon zest at the end — busies up the flavors a little too much in my opinion.

Sardines and pasta is a traditional Sicilian dish. I had some canned smoked mussels I needed to get rid of last year, and I discovered this really tasty recipe. You could probably substitute anchovies for mussels and have it turn out well.

Fisherman's eggs is also really easy, but you need an ovenproof dish or pan.

If you're feeling :effort:, sardines on toast with mustard or hot sauce is bachelor af but healthy. This Alton Brown sardine-avocado toast is good too if you want something that feels more like a meal.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

I'd use it for everything but I'm worried that it's not the most healthy thing to cook with all the time.

All cooking oils are pure fat, but ghee has a higher saturated fat content, which can raise your bad cholesterol numbers. Talk to your doctor, but I think your instincts are correct — generally, it's better to prefer vegetable oils that are low in saturated fat like olive oil and canola oil.

I'd add that refining olive oil (sometimes sold as "light" or "extra light" olive oil) removes the flavor extra virgin olive oil is valued for, but makes it more suitable for grilling, sauteing, and frying while retaining the oil's healthy fat profile (and it's usually cheaper than extra virgin olive oil).

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ranter posted:

Can someone please help me figure out what type of Hungarian Paprika this is? Housemates bought it in Budapest but don't know, and I've been googling the words I see on the package but have not had much luck figuring it out. I'm wondering if this is 'hot' or 'sweet', and how this would best be used in an impending goulash.

It's hard for me to tell, too. In the absence of any wording that suggests it's spicy or sweet, I'd assume it's sweet? Maybe try a little?

In any case, this recipe is fun and has always served me well.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I need more fiber in my diet. What are some easy to make foods to supplement fiber with? Vegetables, obviously, but IIRC they're not all equal in that respect.

It takes some getting used to, but switch to whole grain everything — pasta, bread, cereal. For breakfast, :gitgud: at making oatmeal, or buy bran flakes or shredded wheat (I like mine frosted) if you can't be bothered with the hassle. A German brand called Mestemacher (I've seen it in Whole Foods) makes bread that has 25% of your recommended fiber intake per slice. It's very dense and chewy, but has a lot of flavor and is outstanding toasted with butter and jam or braunschweiger for a real man's breakfast or lunch.

As for vegetables, roasted sweet potatoes are so good it's hard to believe how healthy they are. Avocado is also surprisingly rich in fiber.

Other suggestions are good so far: rice and beans are definitely part of the human condition, and I think you can find a traditional recipe for every taste. Recipes are not always easy to make, but they usually make a 8 to 10 servings at a time, so you can portion and freeze meals for an entire week and beyond for one Saturday's worth of cooking. If you just don't have the time, there are plenty of canned bean recipes out there, and lots of grocery stores carry easy-to-cook or microwave brown rice. Roasted almonds with skins are also a great nutritious, filling, and fiber-rich snack.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Elizabethan Error posted:

I think you mean whole WHEAT there bud. 'Whole Grain' being on a label(in the US at least) means the grain was whole. that's it.

So, I love rye bread. My advice would lead you to prefer a hearty pumpernickel or Danish rugbrψd, which uses a less refined dark rye flour and cracked rye that includes more of the bran and germ of the original rye kernel, instead of a light rye, which uses white rye flour that has been sifted to remove the bran and germ.

In the US, there is definitely some label gamesmanship that goes on with brands using refined flour and adding bran or germ later, but it just takes a bit of effort to make sure "whole [whatever] flour" is close to the top of the ingredients list. The idea being that with any milled grain, the less it is processed, the more of the original whole grain it contains.

NPR's Science Friday had a good episode a while back about whole grain that's pretty interesting for anyone into nutrition science and making informed decisions at the grocery store.

Also, steel-cut oats own — they take time to cook, but the texture is worth it, and for oatmeal eaters, store brand steel cut oats are usually the best value by serving — more for less in the same sized package.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Also, anyone got some good lentil recipes?

I think this might be my favorite lentil recipe. Wholesome and simple, it works as a filling lunch on its own with a dab of plain yogurt, or use it as a nutritious side for those chicken thighs.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

Resident Middle-Easterner here, my go to lentil dish is shorbat adas (or lentil soup). My mum has a recipe that blows me away, and this online recipe that I've made in the past doesn't come close. But it's a great poor person's meal: make this with some rice and you've got tonnes of food that is insanely filling and will keep you going for hours. When money's short, this is my fallback meal, cause a big bag of lentils costs a couple bucks and lasts ages, and rice is cheap too.

For the recipe I linked, I usually chuck in quite a bit more garlic than it says. 1 clove doesn't cut it for me. I also make it a whole onion instead of half an onion, and throw in a teaspoon of garam masala along with everything else. It's great for cooking in large batches too, cause it freezes perfectly.

This is right up my alley. I'm going to have to try it soon. Thank you for sharing.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

all this talk of burgs reminds me of when me and my old man had a pretty nice bonding experience a few years ago. we were hype for the Perseid meteor shower, so we decided to stay up til really late, about 3am to see them. we got the grill out and I made some fresh burgs right then and there with toasted buns, and we ate it as the meteors flew overhead and it was pretty nice.

:unsmith:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Searing the meat directly in oil has always made the most sense for me — no disrespect to the flour dredgers. It's how I've been doing it for a while, and I just don't see what dredging in flour would add.

A problem I run into when making stews and braises is dumping a container of stew meat in first and having it turn gray simmering in its own liquid. I don't know how much this affects the taste and quality of the meat, but I think the moisture prevents any fond from forming for sure. If you have any choice in the meat you buy, see if you can buy your chuck, brisket, or round whole or in steaks, and sear in batches (advice blatantly lifted from step two of this article, which has other advice stew lovers might like).

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
The trick I hear for parsley and cilantro is to trim the bottom stems just a little bit and then stand them in a tall glass with an inch of water, cover the leaves loosely with a plastic bag (I use a sandwich bag), then put it in your fridge (make sure it won't get knocked over). I think this works with green onions too, but don't trim the roots. They won't store like this indefinitely, but you can get another week or so out of them.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spadoink posted:

HELP ME I'M DYING

Well, not quite, but I'm 8 months pregnant and have developed pregnancy-related gallstones that necessitate a low-fat (like, less than 40g/day if possible) diet to try and avoid the attacks that (bonus!) trigger a vasovagal response and drop my blood pressure AND heart rate! Fun!

I had planned to make and freeze a tonne of foodstuffs this month for post-baby convenience, but outside of soups most of what I was planning is not gallbladder friendly. Oh, and as an extra bonus recipes should be not too spicy since apparently that can also trigger attacks, which throws my spicy daal and chickpea curries out the window too :(

Doing vegetable or turkey-based pasta sauces is already on the list, but I would really appreciate any others that you might be able to throw at me. I'm supposed to limit egg consumption too (because life is cruel) so please help me.

This black bean mushroom chili recipe is one of my favorites. Beyond what small amount of oil you need to sautee and sweat the vegetables and the trivial amount of fat in black beans, I think it should suit your needs. It says slow cooker, but I've only ever made it on the stovetop in a Dutch oven and it's always turned out fine. It's pretty amazing, because if you follow the recipe, it's vegan but actually (sorry, vegans) very tasty (it's the cardamom), and makes a lot of meals you can portion out and freeze. It does call for a few of those spicy canned chipotles in sauce, but if you're worried about it, I think I'd just substitute a tablespoon of smoked paprika.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

THE MACHO MAN posted:

already posted in the Chinese thread, but any good uses for black garlic??

Perhaps a misuse, but I used to saute it to the best of my ability in olive oil and toss mushroom ravioli in it. Earthy + earthy seemed like a good idea at the time, it was quick, and the result was tasty.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

I prefer to be out by the grill in the autumn with a crisp bite of cold in the air.

Moved to tears over here. :qq:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's so crazy, because I was at a friend's place cooking last weekend, and she had what I'm almost certain were drugstore beetles hanging out in her cayenne pepper too. Thanks for sharing your story. Would have had no idea what the hell they were otherwise.

Edit: And like a clean apartment in a brand new building too, so it's like "how the hell did they get in"? There must have been a bad batch of something along the way. These trials of humanity...

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 28, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mapo tofu seems pretty legit. I just need to find a good place around DC to try it

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's a good vegetable to have with meat loaf and potatoes?

The :patriot: answer is green beans. Sauteed spinach with garlic would be as quick, but a bit healthier. Otherwise, roasted broccoli (as discussed here) or Brussels sprouts — I feel like you need a low-cal, bitter-ish green to balance the rest of the meal.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 24, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

TheQuietWilds posted:

Anybody got a really bangin recipe for shakshuka? I know the basics of "poach eggs in spicy tomato sauce," but looking for input on the details, thanks.

This recipe is not strictly traditional since it adds feta, but it's my favorite.

I cook for one, so I usually make the whole thing without eggs, then crack an egg or two over a portion in an oven-safe dish when I want it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

More specifically, this recipe for frijoles charros, perhaps?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hauki posted:

most places steep or simmer them separately in a broth or sauce before using them in ramen, etc. since they don't have much flavour of their own
i like the texture though for sure

Yeah, my favorite place simmers them in a spicy soy and sesame-oil broth. Menma is always a must-add for me.

moller posted:

Argh. I should watch Tampopo again.

Great movie. A little artsy, but mostly a warm, lighthearted fantasia on cooking, eating, and finding pride and dignity in hospitality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY392wxb2Wk

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love the Yakuza guy, he gets the best scenes.

I identify on a very deep level with his rage at the guy eating chips loudly in the theater.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Of course none of this really matters until you're about 35. Then your doctor will tell hey you have high blood pressure, knock that poo poo off, take these meds, eat less bread and processed foods.

Docs put me on blood pressure medication in my late 20s (I think I have bad genes). It's super chill. One pill a day, my insurance covers the entire cost, and I don't notice any side effects. I was a little dizzy in the evening the first day I took it (I may have also been drinking), but nothing after that.

I love cooking from scratch, so I think that helps me a lot. When cooking in big batches, I ignore whatever salt a recipe calls for, add up the sodium in whatever ingredients I'm using (stock, canned tomatoes), and add 1/4 tsp. of salt here and there as I go, making sure that I'm somewhere around or below 500mg per serving. What I'm cooking usually ends up tasting okay before that, though.

Eeyo posted:

I'm kind of curious how much salt I consume daily. I don't measure it when I cook, I just add until it's good. Maybe I can weigh my salt container daily and estimate from there.

I shoot for 1/4 of a teaspoon per meal, or three quarters of a teaspoon a day (~1,500 mg?), knowing I'll probably exceed it somehow with milk and bread, or, let's be real, a sandwich from the sandwich shop

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I love all kinds of chicken thigh recipes, but I could eat pan-fried thigh fillets with just salt and pepper for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy — one of life's simplest pleasures, in my opinion.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

There's a joke in there somewhere about rising in a time of need

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

What's more cost effective for beef stew: beef shank, or one of those massive eye round/roast chunks you can get at the supermarket?

If your aim is cost-effectiveness, I'd say just go with whatever is cheaper or on sale, since most of the effect will be achieved by how well you sear the meat (tl;dr: cut into steaks before searing and cubing) and your other ingredients. Serious Eats seems to think shank is a bad call though, on account of the bone by weight and intensity of the connective tissue. It seems like bigger, less-fussy cuts like brisket, round, and chuck are not only cheaper, but more forgiving.

But that's my favorite thing about stew, and its history as a poor man's food — the cut doesn't matter. You buy whatever's cheapest and make it work. If that means shank because shank was on sale, you cook it a few hours longer and watch out for the bones, because it beats spending extra cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Q8ee posted:

I just ate over 1000 calories of basmati rice. If I was diabetic, I would be shuffling off the mortal coil right about now. I just wanted to post about this somewhere, cause I'm kinda proud of it. Though to balance it out, it's the first meal I've eaten all day (at 2pm) and I've been up since 9am.

Just plain rice? Or like, soy sauce or melted butter or anything else?

One somewhat guilty pleasure I have is brown rice with an excessive amount of soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes mixed in.